NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Road's End - Begin

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#41 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Arthur followed John into the wood to search for... well, wood. His lithe little companion was quite prone to conversation, and Arthur wasn't keen on the Forrest. As they started inwards, Arthur clapped the young man's shoulder and stopped him from walking.

"Not too far from the camp," he said quietly, "I don't want to be out of ear shot if we get attacked by some bandit or other. You collect the wood, and I'll keep my Javelin at the ready, just in case."

The sailor took his spear in one hand and kept his arm tensed to throw at a moments notice. In the distance, he could hear the elf woman singing, and made a mental note to compliment her on his return to the camp.

"If you no longer hear the lute or the elf maiden singing," he said at length, "we've gone too far."

#42 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Patron
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Karrel nodded to Kurtz. "As you will." He followed Cradoc into the woods. If they were settling for a while he'd set up traps for small game, but they wouldn't spend more than the night. Fortunately, his fellow Northman was better equipped. "If you need me out of your way, say so and I'll watch from a distance. No need to scare off game on my account." That would leave him with the boy, but it might become a good chance to get to know him. This was his first time working in a group since he was but a young warrior of Braaswich, and he figured it would be best to know his companions, whether they would be useful or hindrances. He turned to the boy in what he considered a respectful tone given the days events, though others might detect slight contempt. "I am Karrel, Last Warrior of Braaswich. What's your name, and where are you from?"

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#43 FearFiend

FearFiend

There's a time for bravery and there's a time for fear

• 45 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Terin jumped up from his comfortable spot on the tree and followed Cradoc into the woods, He realised that he wouldn't be much help with the hunting, so he looked around for berries and herbs.

"I am Karrel, Last Warrior of Braaswich. What's your name, and where are you from?"

Terin looked back from the bush he was picking berries from.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," said Terin, holding out out his hand, "my name is Terin, Magi and theif, from Imperial city. What made you decide to come on this adventure?"

Edited by FearFiend, 21 December 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Posted Image

#44 Horatius

Horatius

• Nova Patron
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

The boy answered amiably. "It's a pleasure to meet you," said Terin, holding out out his hand, "my name is Terin, Magi and thief, from the Imperial city. What made you decide to come on this adventure?"

Karrel stopped dead in his tracks, stunned. Did this young man just admit to being cursed with magic? Normally the northman would have been more than happy to bury a dagger in the chest of any mage he discovered, but the boy mentioned it carelessly, as if it was a trivial matter. A dozen thoughts raced through Karrel's mind. How had the boy survived so long without caution? Did he assume that the north was so savage and untamed that magic-users were accepted? The logical course of action would undoubtedly be to subdue the mage, kill him if necessary, and drag him back to Sir Robert for judgement. Karrel's hand was halfway to his dirk when another thought struck him. The thought wasn't honorable and endangered the group, but when had life ever been fair to him? His own personal goals would take priority to the company's.

Karrel had heard stories of how mages sold their souls to demons for power, or ripped the dead from their Eternal Sleep to enslave them. But he also knew that wizards had access to knowledge few others did.

The warrior stepped in close and grabbed the boy's shoulders. "I don't know what you've heard of the North, but if you think we tolerate magic, you're very much mistaken. A single word from me, and your companions would be fighting for who gets the privilege of taking your head. Fortunately for you, I have need of a mage. There are questions that need answering, and you will give them to me. That is the price for my silence," he whispered sharply. "And you would be wise to pretend this encounter never happened, when we are finished."

The Captain of the Gate:

#45 FearFiend

FearFiend

• 45 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Terin noticed Karrels hand move toward his dirk and tensed him muscles ready to dodge his blow, Karrel then stopped halfway and moved his hand away.

"I don't know what you've heard of the North, but if you think we tolerate magic, you're very much mistaken. A single word from me, and your companions would be fighting for who gets the privilege of taking your head. Fortunately for you, I have need of a mage. There are questions that need answering, and you will give them to me. That is the price for my silence," "And you would be wise to pretend this encounter never happened, when we are finished."

Terin starred up at the man for a few moments still tense, and then smiled. "I would be willing to help you, but I think your theory that everyone in the group would be after me is flewed. Kurts already knows I'm a magi, as for Helga and Kragnar I don't think would want to spill my blood because I'm a mage either." said Terin, with a completely nonchalant face. "All the same I will help you as best I can, but don't get your hopes to high. Now tell me what is it you need my knowledge for?"

Edited by FearFiend, 21 December 2012 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

#46 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Patron
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

((I'm sorry for not posting, I kinda sorta forgot...I'll get right on it.))

Som had clambered up one of the trees, electing some small sense of solitude several feet above everyone's heads, not to mention it was slightly warmer up there until someone started a fire. The closer he could be to open air, the better he simply felt. It wasn't something he could explain well, but knew very well.

Strips of dark blue light from the dim sky touched the ground, breaking up the shadows and lighting up the stagnant fog that swirled beneath. There was a slight ticking in his nostril, and Som sneezed immediately in response. A mucous-coated gnat flew out, falling the ground below and landing safely. He wiped his upper lip and groaned in dismay. What kind of creatures would wish to make there home here, he wondered. Surely, only something foul, evil, slippery...

At that thought, a loud hissing noise startled Som in mid-thought. He glanced quickly to his right, and saw a small, yellow snake emerge from a hole in the tree, staring at him with small, beady eyes, studying him quizzically. He froze in fear, unable to move or react to the sight of it.

They remained locked in a staring contest like this, with neither side winning until the human half sneezed, causing the legless reptile to approach him instead of scaring it off. This scared him so much he fell off his branch, twisting and turning in the air until he caught one below and corrected himself, then landed softly on the thin patch of dry ground below.

He dusted himself off, looked up and watched is it coiled itself around the branch triumphantly, seemingly mocking his irrational fear of those horrible, scaly creatures.

"It's not my fault," he complained to no one in particular, "I had a nasty dream about snakes a while ago."

#47 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Patron
  • 6,872 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Kurtz and a number of the other adventurers looked at Turbati Somnia as he fell softly yet gracelessly from the tree he had climbed up into. Directing their attention to the branches up above, they saw the yellow snake coiled and waiting. Kurtz let out a snort and shook his head, grinning at Som.

"You're going to have to deal with scarier things than snakes in that swamp," he said, his smile fading. "But we'll worry about that on the morrow." He looked to the darkening sky, then up and down the treeline, not seeing any of the others he had sent out earlier. "Been a while. Let's just hope that mean's they're catching something big."

John and Arthur had made considerable progress, and it wasn't long before they were lugging back armfuls of timber for the fire. There hadn't been much to collect on the outskirts, so their search had brought them into the warm, dark swamp. They made sure to stick to dry land and avoid the murky waters, and now they were making their way back to camp, following the pleasant sound of the elf maiden's song.

Arthur tripped over something, sending his load of firewood rolling across the forest floor as he stuck out his arms to avoid landing on his face. He cursed silently, in harsh words befitting a man accustomed to life on the high seas. Oddly, it didn't seem to upset or startle John. Arthur climbed to his feet and turned around to see the woodsman down on one knee, his stack of timber beside him, and the body Arthur had tripped on propped up against a tree between them. It could have only been a few days old, judging by the level of decay and the smell, though since the animals had been at it it was considerably more difficult to say for sure. The man looked to be an adventurer, like them, which was made apparent by the leather tunic he wore and the longsword still clutched in his right hand.

Jutting from his body were four arrows, one in the right leg and three in various regions of his torso. Grimacing, John pressed one hand against the man's chest and used the other to remove one of the projectiles. Though visibility was low, the woodsman's eyes were keen, and judging by the crude cut of the arrow's head and the primitive nature of its construction, it could have only one probable source.

There were goblins in these woods.

Terin and Karrel had fallen behind Cradoc, allowing the hunter to wander off deeper into the swamp to catch game on his own terms. He seemed resourceful enough to make it back alive, so there was little to worry about. At the moment the danger seemed greater for Terin, who found his body firmly seized by the tall Northman. Karrel's eyes were intense, his tone demanding. They were alone, and this man was demanding access to Terin's knowledge, as well as secrecy regarding his inquiries. The young boy was all too willing to comply, and was awaiting Karrel's elaboration when his gaze locked on the tree over the Northman's shoulder.

Karrel fixed Terin with a puzzled glare, noting the wide-eyed expression on the youngster's face. He glanced over his shoulder at the tree behind him. The boy thought he had seen it move before, but now it did for sure. One of the tree's gnarled, thick limbs swung down and knocked Karrel away with tremendous force, sending him tumbling backwards twice down a gentle slope. Terin was shocked, but knew better than to let his body freeze up on him. As another branch came flying towards him, he leaped backwards and avoided the swipe.

Drawing his scimitar, he held the blade between himself and the enemy, looking first for an escape and then down the slope at Karrel, who was back up and readying his longaxe. As Terin's eyes returned to the fight and focused on his opponent, a bubble in the nearby swamp burst and bathed the scene in the eerie glow of gas. For just a moment, Terin gazed into the eyes of the foe - yellow and vicious - and saw the grisly sharp teeth and wretched scarred face of the hungry troll, before the light faded away and the battle was joined in darkness.

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif

#48 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

John's eyes were keen, and though Arthur's were well adjusted to the darkness, he was glad to have a woodsman at his side. Judging by the tips of the arrows stuck into the putrid corpse's body, the scout deemed them Goblin made. Arthur's hands immediately fell to his cutlass, but thinking twice, the seaman drew his javelin instead. Of course, where they stood it seemed no Goblins had ventured for days, but it was warning enough for him to raise an alarm.

With a silent nod to John, Arthur scooped up the firewood and made for the camp which was thankfully not far. Within a minute or so, the light of the fire was in sight, and the dwarves and elf maiden were within earshot. Arthur kept his cool, and moved quickly towards the center of camp. The swashbuckler planted his spear in the ground and knelt low so not to be heard by anyone but his company.

"Do not be alarmed, but John and I found a body struck dead by Goblin arrows, not a few minutes from here. I suggest we regroup with Karrel and the others as soon as possible and make ready for any kind of ambush."

#49 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

((Hey, I got a chance at internet, and since you might kill him off, I decided the first thing I would do is post to prolong that for a hopefully long time...))

John was humming to himself, optimistically as usual. It was a tune he had learned at the blacksmith's shop; most civilized things he knew about came from there, surprisingly. He didn't really remember the words, but it was a merry little tune. He thought it was something you'd hear in a tavern. They picked up what wood they could, and started heading back to camp.

The seaman, Arthur, tripped. Over what, John was not sure. He immediately reached down a hand, ignoring the cursing of the gentleman. He pulled Arthur up, and then knelt down to examine the object the swashbuckler had tripped on. John took a short breath in and shivered a bit. Something was dead. He knew what it was, but he pulled away the tree branches hiding the body anyway. It was a man, and John judged that he had died fairly recently.

Gorrammit. At least he's not one of ours.

He was eaten apart so that you could barely see his face, and it was a gruesome sight for sure. He had a sword in his hand. He obviously died in battle, as there were four objects protruding out of his chest; arrows. John nonchalantly pulled one out as he did when he killed a wild boar, seemingly unfazed by the gravity of this situation.

It was an arrow not of fair design, dissimilar to the ones hanging in the blacksmith's shop and definitely not at all as well-crafted to the ones he carried on his back. Still, the arrow's tip was sharp as a knife, and that will do the job if the bowman is good enough.

This was no primitive tribe's arrow. It could only be one kind of arrow. This arrow came from a goblin quiver.

"We need to get back to camp-- fast," John said, turning to Arthur, "a goblin shot these arrows."

John grabbed the rest of the arrows from the man's chest and stuck them in the back of his quiver. It would not be good to run out of arrows, though those crude things would be a last resort.
He motioned for Arthur to follow, as he ran through the tall grass, stepping as light as he always could.

He drew his bow with one of his arrows, and put his hand on his boot to make sure he still had his dagger. He gave a sigh of relief as he felt the outline of a knife, and strode on.

If any goblin comes within fifty yards of me in this forest, he's dead meat.

They reached camp.

"Do not be alarmed, but John and I found a body struck dead by Goblin arrows, not a few minutes from here. I suggest we regroup with Karrel and the others as soon as possible and make ready for any kind of ambush."

John nodded.

"Be prepared for a fight, for goblins are not the type of folk to let a man leave a fight..."
The woodsman paused for a moment and looked out into the forest.
"...alive."

Edited by Ouflah-la-la, 23 December 2012 - 02:51 AM.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#50 Horatius

Horatius

• Nova Patron
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

"I would be willing to help you, but I think your theory that everyone in the group would be after me is flewed. Kurts already knows I'm a magi, as for Helga and Kragnar I don't think would want to spill my blood because I'm a mage either." said Terin, with a completely nonchalant face. "All the same I will help you as best I can, but don't get your hopes to high. Now tell me what is it you need my knowledge for?"

Karrel figured that the Imperial was trying to look strong with these words, and was firmly convinced that the group would be horrified at a mage in its presence. All the same, he made note to keep an eye on the dwarves. In the meantime, now was as good a time as any to show the elven sword to Terin. Suddenly, a heavy object cracked him on the shoulder from behind.

The northman staggered to his feet and steadied himself with his axe. His blood was pumping hard, his senses sharpened. He was momentarily surprised to see the attack had not come from the mage, but from a hideous troll. The imperial was in danger himself, dancing around the creature's blows and wielding a scimitar. Karrel gripped his longaxe with both hands and ran up the hill. He had never fought a troll before, but it was unarmed and the heavy axe looked large enough to cleave through it.

While some warriors are cool as ice, fighting with precise, disciplined strokes and deducing ways to defeat their opponent, Karrel was fire. His instincts took over and his fury gave him strength and speed. The northman bellowed a wordless battle-cry and swung a brutal downward stroke at the troll's shoulder.

The Captain of the Gate:

#51 FearFiend

FearFiend

• 45 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Terin saw the troll come out of the swamp. He was just about to tell Karrel to move out of the way when he was hit. He saw him stagger from the blow but put little mind to it as the troll now swong at him. He pulled out his seldom use sword hoping that he wouldn't have to use it. The troll swong at Terin with a thick arm. Terin narrowly dodged the blow and stabbed the troll, making it stagger back. The troll swong his arm at Terin in rage, Terin wasn't fast enough for this one getting the blow full in the chest.

Terin hit a tree knocking the breath out of him. He spat out blood and fell to the ground, his vision getting blurry, the troll swong at him one last time, Terin still had the wits about him to duck out of the trolls blow but he slowly started to pass out, the last thing he saw was the northerner swing his axe at the troll, then black
Posted Image

#52 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Patron
  • 6,872 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Terin had nicked the troll with his scimitar, but the beast was all fury and hunger, ignoring the wound like the sting of an insect and returning the favor with swinging arms and long, sharp claws. Terin was quick, but not fleet-footed enough. The troll smashed him with a backhand, sending the frail mage crashing into a nearby tree. Terin ducked the next blow and had enough wits about him to crawl out of the way before collapsing unconscious among the tree's burly roots.

That might have been it for him, were it not for Karrel. The Northman charged the troll and lashed out with a heavy blow from his axe, catching the monster by its left shoulder and cleaving deep into its flesh, but leaving the arm attached. The troll screeched horribly as Karrel removed his blade and backed off for a moment.

The troll was dragging its arm now, unable to lift it from the ground. It charged Karrel with its good shoulder aimed his way, barreling into the warrior and knocking him clean off his feet. The Northman was stunned for a moment, the force of impact having cleared the breath from his lungs. He struggled to raise himself up on one knee, clutching his axe and holding it tightly between himself and the enemy, the threat unspoken yet clear. The troll snapped at him in anger, then turned and started loping back towards Terin. It scooped up the boy's limp body in one claw and tucked him beneath an arm, then with one last glance at Karrel, began to run off to the waters of the swamp, and the murky sanctuary they offered.

The people gathered at the camp became suddenly alert as the sound of multiple bodies crashing through the forest reached their ears. They were already preparing their weapons when John and Arthur emerged from the dark. A unanimous sigh filled the air. Relief quickly turned to concern as the two recounted their story. Kurtz's face took on a dark complexion.

"Goblins in the swamp," he said, gazing down at the ground. "That's nothing to be surprised about, this close to the Edge, but I never imagined they'd be hunting this far out. Well, I suppose there never was any rest for people in our line of work." He looked back up at the rest of the adventurers, who were eagerly awaiting his next commands. "I'm going to leave most of you here, to defend this position. If there are goblins about, they're unlikely to attack a stationary group, so long as you don't catch their attention. If we go out looking for the others, we might be potential targets, and the more of us, the worse it is."

"John, can you track the others and lead us to them? Som, you and the masked man are coming with us. We have to move silently." He stood up and beckoned those he had designated to follow. John took off down the treeline, keeping an eye out for signs of the hunting party. Aos Si and Som followed him. Before leaving, Kurtz stopped and turned, pointing at those they were leaving behind. "Do not start that fire yet. Keep things dark and quiet, and leave your ears and eyes open."

A hideous, inhuman shriek shattered the evening tranquility and filled the forest canopy with the flapping wings of startled waterfowl. Kurtz looked to the sky with wide eyes, then ran off after the search party.

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif

#53 Horatius

Horatius

• Nova Patron
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Karrel used his longaxe as a crutch to push himself to his feet. The damn creature was escaping with the mage! That boy was the first real chance Karrel had at discovering the owner of the elven sword. He would not allow the troll to destroy that chance. It would be easy enough to track with its gaping wound in daylight, but the swamp could obscure the tracks by then.

His head stopped spinning and he took a painful breath. The northman staggered off after the troll, hoping he could catch it before it vanished into the unfamiliar gloom. Karrel paused, and bellowed to the sky, "CRADOC!" The man's hunting skills would be invaluable. Whether Cradoc reached him or not, he wanted the mage alive and the beast's head.

The Captain of the Gate:

#54 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Jaysen was disappointed when the group returned with neither firewood nor meat to cook. He hadn't kept track of who went where, and frankly didn't care. The results were what mattered, and these people certainly didn't make good on their quests.

But it wasn't without good reason.

Goblins. Goblins were a problem. Sneaky, troublesome bastards, they were. Jaysen had run in with them a few more times than he'd care to admit, and while they weren't always particularly dangerous, all it took was a lucky strike to cleave a life in two. Too many good men had died by Goblin hands.

Jaysen drew his small blade. IT was hardly good for defending, but he knew the logic of staying behind and keeping camp somewhat safe. He gave the blade a flip in his hand, and stood with his hands on his hips. "Dinner will have to wait. Though, I've heard that Goblin meat, with the right seasoning, can taste quite good." He sucked on his teeth. "Always wanted to try it."

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#55 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Patron
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Helga had begun to settle down and almost started peeling off her armor as the elf maiden and the dwarf man started to play a song when the men collecting firewood returned in a hurry. They had found ample evidence of goblins nearby.

Kurtz took three of the humans with him and went off, though not before an inhuman shriek erupted from the swamp. With some effort Durnen stayed put, referring to their leader’s argument to convince herself staying put was a good idea. The oldest of the humans sat nearby, and he drew a knife as the search party went off. Presently, he spoke.

"Dinner will have to wait. Though, I've heard that Goblin meat, with the right seasoning, can taste quite good." He sucked on his teeth. "Always wanted to try it."

”Haven’t run into their kind in a while,” Helga replied, making sure her warhammer was within easy reach, ”But I’m pretty sure the meat’s alright if you tenderize it a little." She grinned to herself, patting the hammer lying on the ground beside her.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#56 FearFiend

FearFiend

• 45 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Terin woke up dangling in the trolls arms, he screamed but it was muffled by the blood that came up his throat, he spat it out hoping to god the troll hadn't noticed him wake.
"Sh*t, what the hell happened," thought Terin his mind still blury, "I've got to get out of this!"

Terin was a quick thinker and soon came up with an idea. He made the troll think that he escaped his grasp and was running away further into a swamp. Luckily the troll was an idiot and fell for the plan, the wound the troll had gotten must have muffled it's sense of feel and it let go of its grasp of him.

Terin fell to solid ground, it hurt bad, he suspected that he had a few broken ribs. Terin got up when the troll was out in the distance, he stumbled to a tree and found a branch to lean on. He ran as fast as he could in the direction he thought was where Karrel and Cradoc were. He made slow progress always worried that the troll would come back, but it was probably still running off trying to find him.

"Hehe you've outdone yourself again." thought Terin, with a small chuckle, even though the situation

He made bad progress and didn't know where he was. He was about to give up and lay on a tree when he heard,

"CRADOC!"

Terin followed the noise and soon found Karrel yelling for Cradoc

"I highly suggest not yelling," said Terin, smiling at the man, then collapsing on the ground.
Posted Image

#57 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Arthur was happy to not have to go after the missing party members, as he found the whole half eaten corpse to be a bit disturbing. Being a sailor, he'd seen his fair share of inhuman deeds, but eating someone alive was just downright nasty, and what bugged him the most was the way John could just pull the arrows from his body without flinching. Sure he'd done similar things for gold or some food when he needed, but he never pulled anything out of someone's body, just from it.

He sighed as he set himself down next to the Dwarves. He liked Dwarves, but was always thrown off by their ever eagerness to do battle with anything that moved. Keeping his saber loose in his scabbard, and his Javelin helping him keep his balance, Arthur squatted comfortably, tense and ready to spring to action at a moments notice.

"Dinner will have to wait. Though, I've heard that Goblin meat, with the right seasoning, can taste quite good." Jaysen, the old coot said. "Always wanted to try it."

Haven’t run into their kind in a while,” Helga replied, making sure her warhammer was within easy reach, ”But I’m pretty sure the meat’s alright if you tenderize it a little."

Arthur wasn't sure whether or not the Dwarf woman was joking, but by the looks of her, he wouldn't have been surprised. He blanched and shifted a bit so that he could better view the treeline behind the group. He narrowed his eyes as he thought he saw movement, but it must have just been the swaying of a tree, or some small bird.

"I'm all for fun conversation," he said quietly, "but I think we should keep our voices down. I haven't the slightest desire to fight any Goblins tonight, even with your tantalizing talk of seasoned green meats."

He smiled so that the others knew he was only joking, but still he felt uneasy as another flitting motion behind the trees caught his eyes. He shifted again and kept his eyes peeled for any further movement, occasionally checking his peripherals and the copse behind him for green figures in the dark.

#58 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Patron
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

"John, can you track the others and lead us to them? Som, you and the masked man are coming with us. We have to move silently."

"Already on it," Som answered.

He kept a brisk pace with Aos Si as they followed John the Woodsman. His feet splashed in the muck that swirled below him, soaking his leather boots and filling the spaces between his toes with an awful, slimy liquid. He didn't cringe, however, having long been used to the wild.

Just when he was thinking about asking Kurtz what they would do if they found the goblins, an piercing shriek echoed ahead of them. Was it John, or one of their own? No, it couldn't have...it didn't even sound human. Could it?

"Hurry up," Som insisted anxiously to Kurtz.

He climbed nimbly up a nearby tree to get a better position, leaping swiftly and silently across branched from one tree to another, only touching the ground when he had the next tree was too far away. Hopefully an elevated position would give him an advantage.

#59 Bobafettmaniac

Bobafettmaniac

Gopnik Lyfe

• Nova Patron
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

"CRADOC!"

Cradoc's mind had been...elsewhere. As he stalked his deer, spotting the signs of fresh tracks, scat, and imprints in the mud, his feral hunting mindset was interrupted by a loud shout from one of his companions. Cradoc suddenly realized, as a lump formed in his stomach, that he had left his companions behind in the murky forest. *Shiiiinnng* Cradoc drew his fathers sword and unlimbered his shield. Advancing quietly through the trees and scrub, he advanced slowly, but cautiously. While he hid himself in the brush, he heard a large crashing through the scrub and a large troll appeared, heading for the sloshing, murky swamp beyond. Cradoc stepped out onto the path to confront the being. Chanting prayers to Crom Cruach and Tyr, he felt a dark vision start to seep into his mind, a feral instinct clawing at his rationality. Cradoc started frothing at the mouth as the monster drew near. He gnawed at his shield and pulled the bear's fur-head over his face. With a war cry, he launched himself at the creature, holding his sword with two hands. His blow, if aimed well, would surely rend flesh from bone, limb from body.

---------------------------------------------

Somewhere in the back of his mind, Cradoc hoped that Karrel would arrive soon to help...

Posted Image

Thanks to Burngirl for the Sig.

#60 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Kragnar put away his lute, his expression darkening in an instant at the mere mention of goblins - and upon hearing the shrieks ring through the forest, he leapt to his feet, drawing his axe and readying his shield. Jokes were exchanged regarding eating goblin meat and tenderizing it, and then one of the men told the others to keep their voices down.

The dwarf was just frustrated that their camping time was ruined.

Growling something under his breath, Kragnar resisted the urge to speak. Missing out on supper, a campfire, and at least a little rest always made him abnormally grumpy, but if this was an opportunity to destroy evil, he would take it. The man was probably right about keeping their voices down, so he said nothing, remaining on the alert for any sign of trouble nearby - and briefly muttering a prayer for the safety of himself and his companions.

gallery_3_16_330210.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users