NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Jump to content


Photo

Road's End - Begin


  • Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#21 FearFiend

FearFiend

    There's a time for bravery and there's a time for fear

  • Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Terin had been walking deep in thought and because of this he didn't notice that pool in front of him. He fell and was horrified to find himself in the water, he never learned how to swim and was thrashing in the pool. The waters were thick and made it hard for him to move in it. He managed to get one of his hands out of the pool hoping that someone will help him.

Edited by FearFiend, 17 December 2012 - 10:56 AM.

Posted Image

#22 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

    Hulloo! :3

  • Nova Patron
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Suddenly Helga heard the sounds of desperate splashing. Turning to look over her shoulder, she almost fell into an equally deep puddle, barely stepping around it in time. She noticed the guy that was leading them heading in the same direction, though he fell into a similar puddle.

"Someone get that boy and pull him out!" he ordered, tugging at his leg to no avail. "Curse this damn muck!"

Since she was one of the nearest, Durnen turned and decided it was best to help the lad out. Maybe she could use him as a flesh shield later.

Dodging around pools of muck with less grace than most ladies, she finally made it to the boy and extended a rather short arm. If he was too far away, though, she made sure not to over extend herself.

”I’m not sure if I’ve got enough reach!” She called over her shoulder, ”One of you people with long legs and arms get over here, would ya?”

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480


#23 FearFiend

FearFiend

    There's a time for bravery and there's a time for fear

  • Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

"I'm not sure I've got enough reach!" "One of you people with long legs and arms get over here, would ya?"

Terin was able to make out from under the water, so he used up the last of his strength and kicked as hard as he could from under the water in attempts to reach her arm. He gave one last kick and felt her hand, he grabbed on and hopped that she would pull up to help him out of the water as he didn't have the strength to.

Edited by FearFiend, 21 December 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

    Rock on, gold dust woman.

  • Nova Patron
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

With a bit of extra effort from Terin, Helga Durnen was quite capable of grabbing the boy and pulling him from the water. Terin flopped onto dry land, his body soaked and his chest heaving. He turned on his side, coughing and spewing foul water as Helga watched. In a few moments he seemed to calm down, though he seemed quite shaken by the experience. Not far from them, Karrel of Braaswich had offered the bladed end of his axe to Kurtz, who grabbed it carefully and allowed himself to be pulled from the mud.

"Thank you, Karrel," said Kurtz, who had already taken the time to learn the names of his companions. "I hope to never be on that end of your axe in a less friendly encounter." He chuckled briefly, then looked towards Terin and Helga. "Good, our friend's alright. It'd be a shame to lose one so early on, though not surprising."

"Terin, try your best to get dried off. You don't want to be in wet clothes when night falls, not where we're going."

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif


#25 FearFiend

FearFiend

    There's a time for bravery and there's a time for fear

  • Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

"Damit, I'm here for a few hours and I've already made everyone think bad of me. Now people are just going to know me as the halfwit boy that fell into a pool," Terin thought as he sat up from the water edge. " I've got to start focusing."

When Terin had caught his breath and spat out most of the foul water he went up to Helga to give her his thanks and to also repair some of his reputation.

"Um hello I just wanted to say thanks for getting me out of that pool", Terin said to Helga, with a smile. " I'm sorry that I made you go threw all the trouble."

Edited by FearFiend, 21 December 2012 - 02:52 PM.

Posted Image

#26 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

  • Forums Administrator
  • 12,068 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Kragnar was apparently too busy daydreaming, or something, to leap into action when one of their fellows ended up trapped in some swamp muck. Just as he was making his way over to Helga to help her pull the lad out, he was safe again. Shaken up, to be sure, but still alive. Meanwhile, everyone in the group continued to prove that they were largely cynical mercenaries - at least on the outside. Kragnar didn't like it.

The dwarf rejoined Helga as they kept walking, and he was now being very cautious to watch his step... perhaps a little too cautious, but if a dwarf ended up in that kind of position, he might not have long to regret it.

Kragnar heard the boy who had fallen in speak to Helga with a smile: "Um hello I just wanted to say thanks for getting me out of that pool. I'm sorry that I made you go threw all the trouble."

"Jus' watch yer step, laddie," said Kragnar. "I'm certain there's worse than deep mud in this swamp. But there's no better time to be acquainted than before facin' dangers o' the wild together. I'm Kragnar Firebeard. And," he added with a friendly grin, "I woulda helped Helga get ye outta trouble if I'd had the chance, but she was too quick fer me."

((Sorry for being so inactive. I'm really sick and have finals for the next two days, but hopefully I'll be posting more around the end of the week.))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif


#27 Ryoma

Ryoma

    There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

  • Self-Ejected
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

And they already came within (literal) inches of their first casualty. Jaysen hadn’t made a move to save the kid, but he didn’t need to. The dwarf lady got there first, and managed to pull the kid out of the muck.

The fact that the dwarf reacted as quickly as she did brought a small smile to Jaysen’s lips. There were a few good people left.

Best part? She left Jaysen alone.

He kept walking alongside the one with the mask, as his presence seemed to keep the people away. And yet, there was something very unnerving about this guy. He hadn’t spoken, not that Jaysen could tell, and barely seemed to notice their first little trouble.

Jaysen wasn’t one to break the ice. But, he figured that Mask wasn’t going to. At the very least, he could get a name. “Name’s Jaysen. Quite a lot we got here, huh? Already one within inches o’dying.”

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

 

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

 

 


#28 FearFiend

FearFiend

    There's a time for bravery and there's a time for fear

  • Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

'Jus' watch yer step laddie. "I'm certain there's worse then deep mud in this swamp. But there's no better time time to be acquainted then before facin' dangers o' the wild together. I'm Kragnar Firebeard. And..."I woulda helped Helga get you outta trouble if I'd had the chance, but she was too quick fer me."

"I intend to," as he laughed, "I'm afraid I haven't introduced myself, my name is Terin, its a pleasure to meet you," said Terin, holding out his hand for Kragnar to shake, "now as we have lots of hours ahead of us and talking will make it quicken, may I ask what made you join this group?"

Edited by FearFiend, 21 December 2012 - 02:52 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

    Hulloo! :3

  • Nova Patron
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

Suddenly Helga’s hand was grabbed by the drowning man’s, and for a second she though that her armor wouldn’t be enough to counter-balance the weight. Luckily, however, it was, and Durnen hauled the young human out of the water with plummeting in herself. After the two had time to breath for a second or two, the boy approached the ex-enforcer.

"Um hello I just wanted to say thanks for getting me out of that pool,” The boy said to Helga, with a smile. "I'm sorry that I made you go through all the trouble."

A second before Durnen could answer, Kragnar came over and introduced himself.

"I woulda helped Helga get ye outta trouble if I'd had the chance, but she was too quick fer me."

”Damn right, old man,” The dwarf woman gave Firebeard a playful punch on the shoulder, ”You should exercise more often.” She added with a grin.

"I'm afraid I haven't introduced myself, my name is Terin, its a pleasure to meet you," said the human, "Now as we have lots of hours ahead of us and talking will make it quicken, may I ask what made you join this group?"

”Well, as for me, I’ve been looking to have a decent adventure before my first century.” Helga said after a short pause to think the matter over, ”Got a couple more years before I get there, though.”

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480


#30 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

    Rock on, gold dust woman.

  • Nova Patron
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

The party walked and talked late into the afternoon, without any further incidents regarding the terrain. People seemed to be getting along well, if not quietly. The majority of the group had not spoken much since Terin was rescued from the swamp.

At dusk they had reached the edge of Blekmyr, the trees towering tall above them but laid out sparsely before them. A slim path of solid ground snaked into the swamp, flooded on both sides by stagnant marsh water thick with reeds and the foul stench of a hostile land. Visibility was limited to a few dozen yards ahead, at which point the overhanging trees blotted out the sun and submerged the swamp in foreboding darkness. Now and then a faint glow could be seen off in the distance, though this faded quickly and left behind a lingering feeling of hopelessness. Near the treeline one could feel a pleasant, inviting warmth...

"I suggest we rest here for the night," Kurtz said, standing between his party and Blekmyr. "We've got a long ways to go up ahead, and something tells me this swamp is not the ideal place to be resting once we've entered it. If we sleep now we may be able to knock out the swamp and forest after that in one day, and be rid of this nasty place quickly. However, judging by the darkness in that place now, I doubt it makes any difference whether we travel through the swamp by night or day. I'll leave it up to all of you."

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif


#31 Prattitude

Prattitude

    I know what things are.

  • Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Arthur was glad to have stopped for a bit, what with folks falling into the water and all, he was glad for the rest. The warmth of the swamp was eerily inviting, but as tired as he was, he wasn't sure that he was quite up for a romp into the bog just yet. He sat down, nearer to the Dwarves than anyone else and loosened his cutlass in case the need arose to draw it.

"I suggest we rest here for the night," Kurtz said, standing between his party and Blekmyr. "We've got a long ways to go up ahead, and something tells me this swamp is not the ideal place to be resting once we've entered it. If we sleep now we may be able to knock out the swamp and forest after that in one day, and be rid of this nasty place quickly. However, judging by the darkness in that place now, I doubt it makes any difference whether we travel through the swamp by night or day. I'll leave it up to all of you."

Arthur nodded and said, "can't say I can argue with your logic, and I'm in no rush to meet whatever foul things wait in the swamp. A good rest and full stomachs would do us all well today."

#32 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

    Hulloo! :3

  • Nova Patron
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

After walking for a while longer, the group stopped at the edge of a sinister-looking swamp.

"I suggest we rest here for the night," Kurtz said, "We've got a long ways to go up ahead, and something tells me this swamp is not the ideal place to be resting once we've entered it. If we sleep now we may be able to knock out the swamp and forest after that in one day, and be rid of this nasty place quickly. However, judging by the darkness in that place now, I doubt it makes any difference whether we travel through the swamp by night or day. I'll leave it up to all of you."

Helga rolled her shoulders. She was already starting to ache from all the walking while in full armor. If they were going to be attacked in a swamp like that, she wanted to be as close to her peak condition as possible. One of the men apparently agreed with this decision as well.

”Aye, let’s rest here a while,” Durnen said, lowering herself to one knee, ”I’d rather be in peak condition if we get attacked in there, and a day’s march takes a toll on everyone.”

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480


#33 Oufy

Oufy

    Hey everyone.

  • Nova Patron
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

"Sturdywood?" the man said, "compensating for something?"
John shrugged his shoulders, as he had little idea of what the man was saying.
"Only kidding. My name's Arthur, seaman and swashbuckler, at your service."
John smiled, kicking the dust up as he walked.
A fine fellow this is. Swashbuckler, huh? He should be great for this mission!
As a child, John had aspirations to become a sailor, fighting who knows what on the high seas. He also fantasized they were very skilled at just about everything.
"Well then, Arthur! It's a mighty pleasure meeting you. Used to spy at the sailors in town trading sometimes, when I was buying," without pausing, he muttered a quiet "or stealing" trying not to offend the man, "...food and the like. It's a great skill to have!"
---
John had walked alongside Arthur, sometimes making attempts to have conversation, and sometimes standing the awkward silence. John was quite a merry companion, not as pleasant to be around as he was pleasant in nature. Finally, they took a break.
"I suggest we rest here for the night," Kurtz said. John was exceptionally pleased.
At last! We can sit down. A fire would be nice, I certainly know how to start one. We could cook our food in it, too.
"We've got a long ways to go up ahead, and something tells me this swamp is not the ideal place to be resting once we've entered it. If we sleep now we may be able to knock out the swamp and forest after that in one day, and be rid of this nasty place quickly. However, judging by the darkness in that place now, I doubt it makes any difference whether we travel through the swamp by night or day. I'll leave it up to all of you."
Sounds good to me.
"can't say I can argue with your logic, and I'm in no rush to meet whatever foul things wait in the swamp. A good rest and full stomachs would do us all well today."
John nodded nonchalantly.
"Yes, I do believe sitting out here 'till morning is the best thing to do."
John sat a bit, and as the murmur of the people started out, he spoke out,
"How about something to eat? I can make a fire if you like."

Edited by Ouflah-la-la, 20 December 2012 - 12:53 AM.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!


#34 Ryoma

Ryoma

    There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

  • Self-Ejected
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Jaysen was glad for the chance to rest. He had had a very difficult time keeping up with the rest of them. The only signs he showed of his frustrated was a little extra sweat on his brow, her mouth set in hard concentration. Mask wasn’t talking, and admittedly, that was fine by him. Jaysen found the task of walking requiring more focus than it should’ve.

Where does the time go?

When their leader announced that they would be taking a rest, Jaysen all but fell on his arse right then and there. Instead, he let himself lean on a tree, arms crossed while the others decided to what to do.

Seemed that laying low for a bit and resting was the general consensus, and Jaysen had agreed. Food would be nice, a fire for warmth would be even better. He let his body slide down the tree until he came to rest in a sitting position. He slung his pack off his shoulders, and took a moment to breathe. He needed to do so.

He regretted it instantly.

When you are tired, you can force yourself to keep going so long as you don’t stop. Once you stop moving, it’s far more difficult to begin again. Jaysen shouldn’t’ve allowed himself that breather. His younger self wouldn’t have.

With far more effort than should be necessary, he unshouldered his pack and began to rummage through it. “I’ve got spices for cooking,” he said, holding up a can, and shaking it. “If someone finds us a rabbit, a few squirrels, hell, any kind of meat, I can cook us all a stew better than your momma used to make.”

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

 

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

 

 


#35 FearFiend

FearFiend

    There's a time for bravery and there's a time for fear

  • Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Terin walked with Kragnar and Helga for the rest of the time, making sure to watch his step and not fall into a pool.

”Well, as for me, I’ve been looking to have a decent adventure before my first century.” ”Got a couple more years before I get there, though.”

"Haha, not exactly how I was joined in, Kurts made an offer i couldn't refuse, especially at the time," said Terin, "I had literally no money and no food, so when Kurts made his offer I didn't even have that much of a choice whether I wanted to or not."

"I suggest we rest here for the night," "We've got a long ways to go up ahead, and something tells me this swamp is not the ideal place to be resting once we've entered it. If we sleep now we may be able to knock out the swamp and forest after that in one day, and be rid of this nasty place quickly. However, judging by the darkness in that place now, I doubt it makes any difference whether we travel through the swamp by night or day. I'll leave it up to all of you."

”Aye, let’s rest here a while,"

"Dame right we should rest for a bit, we've been walking all day, and I fell into a pool and almost died!" said Terin, those bad thoughts seeping back into his mind.
Terin sat on the ground and leaned on a tree, trying to block out the memory of falling into the pool.

“I’ve got spices for cooking,” “If someone finds us a rabbit, a few squirrels, hell, any kind of meat, I can cook us all a stew better than your momma used to make.”

"Ahh a bit of dinner and some sleep would do me nice after a day like this," thought Terin with a smile, "things may not be as bad as they seem."
Posted Image

#36 Sareth

Sareth

    Master of Fate

  • Nova Patron
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

"I suggest we rest here for the night. We've got a long ways to go up ahead, and something tells me this swamp is not the ideal place to be resting once we've entered it. If we sleep now we may be able to knock out the swamp and forest after that in one day, and be rid of this nasty place quickly. However, judging by the darkness in that place now, I doubt it makes any difference whether we travel through the swamp by night or day. I'll leave it up to all of you."


The darkness didn't worry Lynaia, she was more at home in the night than in daylight, but the rest of the group desired to rest. She had to admit, it would probably be better to face the swamp rested, darkness or not. Spreading her cloak on a relatively dry spot of ground, she lay down to stretch out her tired muscles.
"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#37 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

  • Forums Administrator
  • 12,068 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

At the mere mention of resting for the night, at first, Kragnar only offered a giant grin. "Aye, let's rest fer the night," he said, as if it mattered to mention his opinion any longer; everyone was already settling down. "Per'aps, if we cannae bond in battle, we can bond o'er a nice campfire an' a warm meal."

"How about something to eat?" asked one man. "I can make a fire if you like."

"That'd be grand," said Kragnar.

“I’ve got spices for cooking,” said the grouchy, pan-toting man as he sank against a tree. While he spoke, he held up a can and shook it. “If someone finds us a rabbit, a few squirrels, hell, any kind of meat, I can cook us all a stew better than your momma used to make.”

"Hm," Kragnar stroked his beard, "I'd gladly be the one t' go get some meat, but I'm not much fer huntin'."

The others were largely quiet, which irritated Kragnar a little. How was this group ever to do anything if no one spoke? Their numbers would be reduced in less than a few days, if no one had the good sense to befriend each other and work together. Maybe he could help with that... or, if it just annoyed people into hating him, then at least they could hate him mutually. That'd be something to bring the others together, at any rate.

Kragnar removed something from his back, which was wrapped in thick cloth. With gentle care, he unwrapped it to reveal a beautiful lute, the sight of which made him smile. The dwarf glanced up at the rest of the group, wandering back to the area where one of the men was setting up a campfire.

"My ol' companions always enjoyed my songs," he said, settling down. "When we get a fire goin', I could see if any o' ye care fer a few. Might calm yer nerves."

Of course, the dwarf thought, they were more than likely thinking that he was a terrible performer and his music would just be an awful racket. Well, he would show them.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif


#38 FearFiend

FearFiend

    There's a time for bravery and there's a time for fear

  • Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

Terin had hunted only once and he had to admit he wasn't very good at it.

"I'd like to help you with getting the meat my fine fellow," said Terin to the old man, "but i must say it isn't one of my strong suits and I'd most likely ruin all our meals if I tried.

"My ol' companions always enjoyed my songs," "When we get a fire goin', I could see if any o' ye care fer a few. Might calm yer nerves."

Terin had always loved music in any form and wasn't going to the chance of hearing some now slip away.

"I think that a bit of music in a dark place like this is exactly what we need," said Terin, with a big smile, getting himself comfortable on the tree he was leaning on, "to lighten our moods and warm our hearts."

Edited by FearFiend, 21 December 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Posted Image

#39 Sareth

Sareth

    Master of Fate

  • Nova Patron
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

"My ol' companions always enjoyed my songs. When we get a fire goin', I could see if any o' ye care fer a few. Might calm yer nerves."


As Kragnar revealed the lute, Lynaia sat up. "If you play," she said to him, gesturing to the instrument, "I'd be willing to sing."
"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#40 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

    Rock on, gold dust woman.

  • Nova Patron
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

When it was decided they should rest, Kurtz immediately began putting his men to work. Jaysen offered to cook if someone found food, and John said he could start a fire if needed. Kurtz told John to collect firewood, and sent Arthur with him for safety. He tasked Cradoc with the duty of catching something to eat, since he seemed to be the one most suited to hunting. Terin jumped eagerly at the chance to tag along, and Karrel was sent with them in case anything went wrong.

"Careful," Kurtz warned everyone before they headed out. "Try to stay by the treeline, and if you must go into the forest at least make sure to find some solid footing." Nearby, Kragnar was tentatively plucking his lute strings. Kurtz looked at those who were going out in search of food and firewood, his eyes squinting against the setting sun. "If anything happens, yell as loud as you can."

As they set off, Kragnar's song played them out. A minute or so later, they could hear Lynaia's angelic, lilting voice carrying towards them from the distant camp.

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

,