NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Official Wulfgard Q&A Topic

Wulfgard

• Please log in to reply
1064 replies to this topic

#1021 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

Also, air magic can't exactly "force choke" people; that'd be more something that Arcane magic would do - a projection of the caster's will, like telekinesis, and that sort of manipulation is very hard to achieve on a living being. Air magic is more related to lightning - which is probably the largest staple of air magic - or frost (depending on which other element the person is closer to, fire or water) and using the power of wind to create gusts and tornadoes. Also, Elemental magic, such as Air magic, cannot control or influence what already exists in the mortal realm, it can only summon the elements from other realms.

So, could you use Arcane Magic to force choke other people?

#1022 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

So, could you use Arcane Magic to force choke other people?

Ehhh, it's uncertain, to be honest. We've often debated exactly how telekinetic type magic (moving stuff with your mind) should work in Wulfgard. We generally avoid using it.

The current rule is that it's very hard for magic to directly manipulate living beings or anything else that possesses a spirit or soul (which includes people, animals, and even things like oceans, rivers, forests, etc.). Only very experienced and powerful mages with strong spiritual presence themselves can overcome the natural protection to arcane manipulation provided by a spirit. Usually if they want to manipulate these things, they have to resort to spirit magic.

So, typically a mage who wants to "force-push" a living being will just summon a strong gust of wind (air magic) to knock them down. But it's far beyond the realm of air magic to form some kind of tight constriction around a person's throat.

The rule I used in the Errant RP that I ran was that a very powerful mage with a very strong spirit can use "force magic" directly on a living being if the target's spirit is not powerful enough to stop it, but that's not a set-in-stone Wulfgard rule.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#1023 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

Here's another question:

With Wind Magic, could a powerful enough Magi do something like this?

Or, if the weapons had some sort of rock, flame, or water attached to them somehow, could any other kind of Magi do it?

#1024 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

With Wind Magic, could a powerful enough Magi do something like this?

Or, if the weapons had some sort of rock, flame, or water attached to them somehow, could any other kind of Magi do it?

Any mage could do that sort of thing with telekinesis magic, if they were sufficiently skilled.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1025 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

Entry level Werewolf question here:

Is silver harmful to werewolves when in human (or elf or dwarf or whatever) form? Or just when transformed?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#1026 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

Is silver harmful to werewolves when in human (or elf or dwarf or whatever) form? Or just when transformed?

Both forms. And in both forms, it's essentially the only way to cause them any real/lasting damage.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1027 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Patron
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

Quick question:

What's the Venatori's policy on having mages in their ranks—specifically, elf or dwarf mages (since, as I recall, those don't technically fall under the jurisdiction of the Inquisition, unless they start making trouble)?

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#1028 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

Quick question:

What's the Venatori's policy on having mages in their ranks—specifically, elf or dwarf mages (since, as I recall, those don't technically fall under the jurisdiction of the Inquisition, unless they start making trouble)?

It would not be tolerated if officially known, since the Venatori are an Imperial organization, and such magic is forbidden by the Imperium. A mage Venator might exist if they kept their power a secret, perhaps known only to a few trusted comrades, but if it ever became widely known, then the leadership of the Venatori would be obligated to turn that mage in to the Inquisition, or at least exile them if they were an elf or a dwarf. Though, since Elven and Dwarven Venators have probably left their own native societies to join an Imperial organization, the Inquisition might very well see them as an Imperial problem they would have to deal with.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#1029 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

QUESTION TIME:

1: How common is the deification of rulers in Wulfgard? I assume that the Achaean Empire would do this a crap ton.

2: What happened to the Paladins during Ildrius' reign? Did any defect to his side, or did he kill them all when he took out the Emperor?

3: What exactly does Magic look like in the East? Is it more physical like martial arts, or is it a person waving their arms around and babbling stuff?

4: How is Magic treated in the East? Is it integrated into society, or is there an Inquisition hunting Mages just like in the Empire?

5: How close is the world to the Invention of Gunpowder? Or, at the very least, does Greek Fire exist? 

#1030 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

QUESTION TIME:

1: How common is the deification of rulers in Wulfgard? I assume that the Achaean Empire would do this a crap ton.

2: What happened to the Paladins during Ildrius' reign? Did any defect to his side, or did he kill them all when he took out the Emperor?

3: What exactly does Magic look like in the East? Is it more physical like martial arts, or is it a person waving their arms around and babbling stuff?

4: How is Magic treated in the East? Is it integrated into society, or is there an Inquisition hunting Mages just like in the Empire?

5: How close is the world to the Invention of Gunpowder? Or, at the very least, does Greek Fire exist? 

1. It's common, yes. The Emperor has a cult that worships him as a deity, and some past emperors are worshiped as deities. Dwarves also commonly revere their ancestors and rulers.

2. He killed or imprisoned the paladins of the previous emperor and made his own personal force of loyal mage-paladins in their place.

3 & 4. No, all Eastern mages aren't instantly from Avatar The Last Airbender... If you want to air-punch while you cast a spell, you certainly can do that, even ignorant gaijin Westerners. :P But it doesn't necessarily add anything to the magic.

Magic in the East is the same as it is in the West, because the nature of magic (which is shrouded in mystery, anyway) isn't going to change over the Jagged Edge. A lot of magic isn't necessarily people "babbling stuff," either, as seen in some of the stories (such as "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing").

As for the 4th question, there are many societies in the East, and the answer to that question depends on which society we're talking about - but we haven't really established much of that yet. In fact, we haven't really established much anything about the East, as we're still doing research to keep the setting close to history and mythology. When we get the chance to explore that area, we'll have more to say about it. That applies to both questions.

5. That's never going to happen, as it's not something we want to do with the setting; some of the required chemicals don't exist in this world. It's a fantasy world, LotR style, where thousands of years pass and that just doesn't happen. As for Greek fire, however, yes, it does exist.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1031 Dave Greenblade

Dave Greenblade

The mandible was found on the Greek mainland at Pyrgos Vassiliss

• 52 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

Ehhh, it's uncertain, to be honest. We've often debated exactly how telekinetic type magic (moving stuff with your mind) should work in Wulfgard. We generally avoid using it.

The current rule is that it's very hard for magic to directly manipulate living beings or anything else that possesses a spirit or soul (which includes people, animals, and even things like oceans, rivers, forests, etc.). Only very experienced and powerful mages with strong spiritual presence themselves can overcome the natural protection to arcane manipulation provided by a spirit. Usually if they want to manipulate these things, they have to resort to spirit magic.

So, typically a mage who wants to "force-push" a living being will just summon a strong gust of wind (air magic) to knock them down. But it's far beyond the realm of air magic to form some kind of tight constriction around a person's throat.

The rule I used in the Errant RP that I ran was that a very powerful mage with a very strong spirit can use "force magic" directly on a living being if the target's spirit is not powerful enough to stop it, but that's not a set-in-stone Wulfgard rule.

How about using 'air magic' to pull the breath out of someone's lungs, and keep other air from going in? That would have essentially the same effect as choking them. Or do the mages just summon an element, without having direct control over it?

Categories:  Apartment buildings in Wisconsin | Buildings and structures in Milwaukee | Hospital buildings on the National Register of Historic Places in Wisconsin | National Register of Historic Places in Milwaukee

At the time of his death, he was one of the most acclaimed scientists in Europe.

#1032 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

Or do the mages just summon an element, without having direct control over it?

Correct, partially. Mages can only control the element they summon, for a short period of time after it has been summoned. They can't control elements that already exist in the natural world.

So, for example, a powerful air-mage might be able to summon a whirlwind and control its movement for a time. But if a real, natural tornado started coming toward him, he couldn't control that - he would have to summon his own wind to counter it.

-Scorp

#1033 Dave Greenblade

Dave Greenblade

The mandible was found on the Greek mainland at Pyrgos Vassiliss

• 52 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

I see. That's a pretty solid way to keep your elementals from becoming overpowered.

It also makes what they do more akin to how magical powers are described in ancient myth and folklore rather than how most modern fantasy fiction depicts them. Which I'm under the impression is the vibe you're going for.

So, good job mate, is what I would say.

Categories:  Apartment buildings in Wisconsin | Buildings and structures in Milwaukee | Hospital buildings on the National Register of Historic Places in Wisconsin | National Register of Historic Places in Milwaukee

At the time of his death, he was one of the most acclaimed scientists in Europe.

#1034 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 626 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

This largely pertains to my new Errant character but is a  general lore question, so...

If a werewolf has injuries/scars from before they were bitten, are they reflected in their wolf form?

E..g. If a human is missing an eye, will their wolf form also be missing an eye, or will they grow one as they transform?

#1035 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

If a werewolf has injuries/scars from before they were bitten, are they reflected in their wolf form?

E..g. If a human is missing an eye, will their wolf form also be missing an eye, or will they grow one as they transform?

Yes, they're reflected and maintained in their werewolf form(s). Any injuries before infection don't regenerate (nor do they grow back while in werewolf form and then disappear again when they return to a human).

So, yes, he'd still be missing his eye (in both forms), if he lost it before he was bitten.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1036 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:25 AM

I'm sure this has got to be written somewhere, but I can't find it on the wiki or on here.

What kind of colours do werewolves have for their fur? Is it limited to the standard grey or do you find brown or tan or black werewolves?

Presumably no neon werewolves running around though...

#1037 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

I'm sure this has got to be written somewhere, but I can't find it on the wiki or on here.

What kind of colours do werewolves have for their fur? Is it limited to the standard grey or do you find brown or tan or black werewolves?

Presumably no neon werewolves running around though...

Huh, could've sworn that was on the werewolf page. Maybe I got rid of it when I revised it one time. I'll have to add some mention of it back.

No, certainly all werewolves aren't grey (not even all real wolves are grey, so that wouldn't make any sense :P). Werewolves come in most varieties of natural wolf coat colors and any natural-looking combinations thereof (grey, black, white, brown, blond, reddish), with only a few more unusual hues possible (some werewolves are more of a crimson red, like the Redwolf, one of the Six, or at least have highlights of that similar color, but this is very rare), and the shades of every different color can also vary. Some "blond" werewolves might be paler, others might look more golden (like the Goldwolf, one of the Six), etc.

And, while this is not always the case (such as with some white werewolves), hair color can potentially influence the coloration of the werewolf form. A werewolf will often have at least a few faint streaks of their hair color in their mane. A person with black hair, for instance, is not going to turn into a solid golden werewolf.

I can get much more detailed than that, if you want, but that's kind of the short(ish) version. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1038 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

Okay, I have two questions:

1: If Channeler runes are used to absorb magic and then use it to attack the mage who fired it at you, is it possible to carve the runes into armor and be able to do the exact same thing?

2: You've mention previously that mages summon elements from different planes of existence instead of directly manipulating the environment. Is it possible for someone or something to sever that connection completely so the magi cannot perform magic anymore? 

#1039 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

Okay, I have two questions:

1: If Channeler runes are used to absorb magic and then use it to attack the mage who fired it at you, is it possible to carve the runes into armor and be able to do the exact same thing?

2: You've mention previously that mages summon elements from different planes of existence instead of directly manipulating the environment. Is it possible for someone or something to sever that connection completely so the magi cannot perform magic anymore? 

1. No. The runes are just one necessary component of a larger ritual undergone by a person. If the runes did work by themselves and work on armor, it would be impossible to get the magic back out, anyway, and the armor would just explode with extreme magical power, kill the wearer, and kill anything nearby.

2. Not that is currently known, no. If there was, the Inquisition would do that to mages to make them ordinary people again. There are areas the Inquisition have created in Karak du Vide that prevent mages from using magic in the prison, but they have no means of truly severing a mage from magic without simply killing them. They have, however, performed experiments to try and figure out a means of doing this.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1040 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Does Wulfgard have an afterlife? I.e. what happens after death? Or is that an unknown that you're not planning on revealing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users