NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Knightfall Novel Discussion - Here there be spoiler tags!

Wulfgard Books

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

I have been called, I must answer.

• 1,354 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

As you may have heard, the Wulfgard Kickstarter rewards are being sent out, and copies of Maverick's novel, Knightfall, are among the vanguard!  Since the books will be arriving for everyone at different times, I figured we can discuss the books themselves and how excited we are when they arrive, and wait a bit longer before discussing actual plotlines and such.  Should help keep things spoiler-free for now.

My copy arrived on Wednesday, and I started reading it that very evening.  Well, "reading" may be too underwhelming a choice of words, given how I stormed my way through the prologue and the first few chapters.  I forgot the number of the chapter I stopped at, but believe I was almost halfway through the book.  Evidence indicates that I will be finishing and restarting my reading quite shortly.

One thing I can mention that doesn't involve any spoilers is a heavily updated partial map in the early pages.  While it doesn't cover as much area as the one in the Errant RP board, it's clear that plenty of new locations and details have been added.  I'm very excited to see this continuing to develop.  

Spoiler

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#2 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

Finally got my Copy of the Book today, so after I finish reading it, I'll pour out my hype for this book out all over this topic.

#3 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

I have been called, I must answer.

• 1,354 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

I just finished the book last night, and I intend to read it again very, very soon!  Since some may not even have received their copies yet, I will not start the formal, spoilered discussion quite yet.  However, I just wanted to take a moment to say that the book ended well, leaving me hopeful about future installments instead of cringing at yet another obvious cliffhanger.  Tom's character has really shone throughout this book, and while his hero's journey is very different from most, it still has all the elements that we are familiar with and love to read about.

The various other characters all grew on me in different ways, and it was a joy to read about them as well.  Tom's friends and allies were lovable in their banter and interactions, while the antagonists were chilling yet believable.  I could not bring this book to work for fear that I would be unable to actually do my job, for I was that absorbed in the narrative. All in all, Knightfall is a quality piece of literature and a promising start to a fantastic series.

Hah, not a spoiler to be found, I think.  This review would most likely be a lot larger if I'd included that kind of detail.  Happy reading to the rest of you!

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#4 Kadawon01

Kadawon01

Master of Ears

• Nova Patron
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

Just got the book. I'm really excited to get started! I will hopefully get to writing a review when I'm done.  The cover is stunning. Just the one picture makes me want to open it up and learn about this character and his story. I am looking forward to seeing this world and cannot wait until I see the comic!

Posted Image

#5 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:31 AM

Here's my 'official' review of the book. 

Spoiler'd for (some MAJOR) Spoilers:

Spoiler

Now I can do battle with anyone how wants to argue about my opinions about this book. :)

#6 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Patron
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

Here's my 'official' review of the book. 

Spoiler'd for (some MAJOR) Spoilers:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Anyway, that said, I do have one gripe, myself, which I only remember now as I re-read the book:

Spoiler

So, overall, I only disliked a small, pretty much insignificant part of the book... and even then, only because I'm an accuracy nut and correcting it would probably ruin the pace of that section of the story in any case. I just thought I might as well spew about it :V

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#7 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,094 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:03 PM

I edited a "MAJOR" spoiler warning into your post, Dalton, because I think spoiling the end of the book isn't a "minor" spoiler. :P

The illustrations were all made specifically for this novel, except for the one image of Kye that Scorp drew for the playing cards - and I later put it in there because I like it so much. None were drawn beforehand for other purposes. Some were shown during the Kickstarter as a means to promote it, but they were never used in the novel as an afterthought. They were drawn for this purpose. And, for some of them, you were meant to see them early as backers and it was supposed to be a backer privilege.

As for the jousting, I had my 70+-year-old military history professor (who specializes in ancient and medieval history in particular and is former military himself) read the jousting scenes, and the only thing he pointed out to me about them that was "wrong," per se, was that the knights didn't drop their lances when they splintered. So I changed that in the final version. Otherwise, he seemed to indicate everything about it was fine and reasonably accurate to the way things might've been. In that case, I trusted his judgement, as it's his chosen field of study. As for having any kind of specific rules about what's included in a joust, there's no reason different regions couldn't decide to include different elements into a tournament, especially in a fantasy world (including the fight on foot, for instance).

Just wanted to address that stuff real quick. Glad to see some discussion in here and I'm very glad you guys enjoyed the novel overall. :D

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users