NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Poll: Next Short Story?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Which short story should I write next?

Which short story should I write next?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

• Webmaster
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

POPULAR

People seemed to enjoy "Speak No Evil" (Whisper's Tale), and I do like having something to write besides grinding away at a big novel project, so I thought I'd make a poll on which Wulfgard short story you guys would like to read next! I chose three major characters from the main storyline I'm writing (the one in my comics) for whom I feel the most inspired to write a compelling background story. Here they are:

"Against the Grain" - The Wanderer's Tale
A small Imperial farming village is struggling under the grip of an oppressive Count, who is stealing away the villagers' livelihoods to further his own plans for a rebellion against his Lord. The peasants are prepared to give up hope when a stranger wanders into town. He has no interest in helping them at first, but soon the Count's thugs begin change his mind...

"Potential Energy" - Lord Plutarch's Tale
A younger son of a blue-blooded Imperial Duke is struggling to better himself, but finds he can do little except live his life according to his lordly father's plans. Then, as he is preparing to leave for war, he discovers he has a special gift - a gift that changes everything. Without pause, he begins plotting a new, very different course for his life...

"Wake Not the Sleeping Bear" - Joergen's Tale
A young Northman has made a name for himself as an outlaw fighting skirmishes against the Achaean Empire. When his brotherhood of rebels disbands, he eagerly encourages his tribe to finally enter real, open war. But he finds true war much different than he expected, and after learning hard lessons about human nature, he realizes he can never return home the same man he was before.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#2 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Patron
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

That second story sounds quite exciting! But I've been wanting to read your take on "the gift" for some time now, so that choice wins my vote anyway. :D

RNGcoloredntouched%20-%20Copy_zpsy9qggiv

... keep your paper heart away from me.

#3 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

They all sound great. I personally voted for the first one just because I like the simplicity of the idea but I think you should just write whichever story grabs you the most. Trying to force things doesn't always work out so well.

#4 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

You're welcome.

• 1,342 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:20 AM

I voted for "Wake Not the Sleeping Bear," since the title really stood out and I enjoyed its concept the most.  Honestly, I'd be happy to read any or all of them, but the themes of the exploration of human nature and the harsh reality of war sounded compelling.

"Against the Grain" is my second choice, for similar reasons...and because it reminds me of "The Magnificent Seven," with a little "A Fistful of Dollars" flair.  Perhaps it'll be the Wulfgard version of Warbringer?  Or something even greater?

Moana-disney-princess-39692805-268-140.g

"We keep our Island in our mind
And when it's time to find home
We know the way"

#5 Amarok

Amarok

Queen's champion

• Nova Patron
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

I vote for all of them.

Oh, just one?

Then "Against the Grain." because I've been wanting to know more about the Wanderer for... a long time.

emily-blunt.gif

#6 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Patron
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Dude, Joergen's Tale is definitely something I'd like to read. The concept is something that is not overdone to all High Hrothgar, something fresh and interesting.

gdV21HZ.gif

#7 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:41 AM

Wow, those are some close results! I've started on a more detailed outline for Plutarch's story now, but there's still time for me to switch gears if anyone else wants to vote. ;)

They all sound great. I personally voted for the first one just because I like the simplicity of the idea but I think you should just write whichever story grabs you the most. Trying to force things doesn't always work out so well.

Absolutely, which is why there are only three stories in the poll. I thought about listing a whole bunch of my Wulfgard characters (Daemonique, al-Saffah, Adrianya, Dagfari, etc.), but these are the ones I feel most inspired to write about. I've been itching to tell all three of these stories for a while now, so any of them works for me!

"Against the Grain" is my second choice, for similar reasons...and because it reminds me of "The Magnificent Seven," with a little "A Fistful of Dollars" flair.  Perhaps it'll be the Wulfgard version of Warbringer?  Or something even greater?

Yep, it's absolutely that kind of story. I was actually planning to write "Against the Grain" first - before the Whisper story - but I avoided it because I thought it might be seen as too cilché, even though I play around with archetypes in it quite a bit. The Wanderer could be seen as a mixture of Strider (LotR) and the Man with No Name, but he doesn't have the invincible combat prowess of either. He's an outlaw with no formal combat training, picking his fights carefully and then using any dirty trick it takes to win, or at least survive. And there's another major character in the story who turns an archetype on its head, but I'll leave that to be a surprise. :P

Plutarch's story is definitely the most "fantasy" of the three, since it's the only one that involves magic in any way, and it's also the most lore-heavy. Whether you see that as a positive or a negative is up to you! It's also different from the other two in that it's the story of a "villain" character, albeit a sympathetic one. I have an obsession with sympathetic evil genius villains who have lofty ideals but pursue them ruthlessly, and Plutarch is absolutely one of these.

Klaykid is probably right that Joergen's story is the most unusual for the genre. I could name a slew of characters that the Wanderer and Plutarch draw inspiration from, but far less for Joergen. "Joe" is a character I've wanted to introduce for aaaaages now, since he's one of my favorites, but thanks to the glacial pace at which I make comics, I haven't gotten to yet. He's a simple man in many ways, not as clever or philosophical as the other two, but with much stronger convictions, which get shaken in his story.

Well, there's a little more info folks to go on, anyway! :P

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#8 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Patron
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

My choice would be "Wake Not the Sleeping Bear" since we haven't met Joergen yet, and the story's the most original (IMO). Human nature and the nature of war are always good topics, but not as often explored in Fantasy as I'd like. My next choice is "Potential Energy" which it sounds like you're starting anyway. Can't go wrong with a tale of ambition, magic, and devious plans! Whichever you choose, I'll be sure to read it.

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#9 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

I haven't forgotten about this, btw.

potential_energy_WIP.jpg

COMING SOON

-Scorp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users