READ: Nova Refuge Mod Topic

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:24 AM

That's too ambitious. I don't know why you guys even bother, only a small few have any experience and even that is very limited. No offence.

#22 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

It's pretty much the most metal thing ever.

• Nova Member
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (GoldenElite0 @ Jan 1 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's too ambitious. I don't know why you guys even bother, only a small few have any experience and even that is very limited. No offence.

Which is where ModDB comes in. wink.gif (If you're talking about here, then yes, you're certainly right). However, going to ModDB and posting somthing along the lines of:

Hai.

I have a rly cool game isea but i need ppl to mak it for me cuz i dont no how 2 do t by myslf for details pm me

is a garunteed way to fail. Even if it were legible and had a posted story, asking for moddelers, writers, concept artists, coders, UV mappers, texturers, etc. makes you come off as an idea guy, and people will not join your mod.

Here's my outline of what I want to have before we go to ModDB:

- A complete story idea
- A few peices of concept art
- A fully completed design document (I'll write this up once we have a story)
- A weapon and prop moddler (Which I'll do)
- At least one texture artist (I'll do this too, but having more people would be great)
- At least two concept artists (I'll contribute)
- At least one Hammer mapper (I'll fill in for now, but I'll need someone else to help on ModDB)
- At least one writer (Which could be another person, since his job will probably end when the desgin document is complete)
- And when Scorp checks his email, his permission (and hopefully imput)

So for now, we still need concept artists (which I know we have no shortage of), a writer, and preferably another texture artist.

The most key thing we need finalized right now is our story. Right now, I'm favoring the role of a Xarkonian soldier/Enomeg uncovering the Victorian secret weapons thingy-idea. It needs to be something that would incorperate several types of environments (a city, a forest, a military complex, etc.) Something like this would also allow for plot twists (though I'd like to avoid the good guy turns out to be bad sort of thing; perhaps the Xarkonian government decides it doesn't need you anymore, and wants to get rid of you after you've located the Victorian weapon?) Again, it's not like this idea is super over-used or anything, not as far as Nova Refuge goes.

Once we're on ModDB, we'll request:

- A UV mapper
- A coder/scripter
- Another Hammer mapper
- A character moddeler
- Preferably a storyboard artist

Things like voice actors and music will come after we have a working Alpha.

ponyavatar.jpg

#23 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

Bare bones intro/first level/whatever:
The player is a member of a Xarkonian Black flag regiment. This black flag team shares some similarities with the real life SAS; an elite team that enggae in intelligence collection behind enemy lines, sabotage and raids, counter terrorism duties and help model other areas of the Xarkonian military. The enomeg instructors are Ex members of this unit. Blackflag operations are missions where there is a need for deniability. As such on Blackflag missions, operatives do not carry anything to connect them with Xarkon. In this mod I feel therefore there is a wide scope of what weapons the player could use, from any faction or civilian.

The player is sent in a teamon a mission to what is at first thought an undiscovered planet. It's a slightly odd mission and the player presumes it is a recon mission on an enemy operation, until civilian settlements are contacted on the planet. The settlements appear of Xarkon origin but they are deserted and lightly damaged. The team engage a sweep of the area but have not recieved any orders. They establish a perimiter but quickly realise that the settlements are not abandoned as once thought, but who or what occupies them is a mystery.

The mission statement is finally established: The team is to move to a satelite station and secure a copy of an unknown transmission. The team are wary of venturing past their 'base' but the loyal player rallys them and they move on. More clues to what happen are found but it's still not clear. As they approach the site the team encounters humans. Aside from a look of malnourishment they look fine, until they attack the team with petrol bombs. The team engage a fierce fight killing many but are forced to retreat into the site. Once inside they hold off more 'insurgents' and secure the transmission.

Overall story:

So what happened on this unknown planet is that it was a Xarkon settlement, a secret colony for the wealthiest members to migrate to. A beautfiul planet with a dark secret, something has made the population sterile and society broke down, with a particular anger reserved for Xarkons. The players team sets out to discover what happened but remain unchecked in with Xarkon, who are meant to presume they perished. In the story the player establishes that the 'sterilisation' has been manufactured into a virus and Grimms army intends to use it. As the player pursues leads they are followed by unknown assailents of whom they have encounters with. Eventually the player discovers that Xarkon has hired Grimms army to administer the virus in Victorian space. The play thwarts plan and hands the virus to Victory, only for Victory to then prepare to turn tables and use it on Xarkon. The player is presented a choice; die stopping Victory or allow Victory to continue and be executed by Xarkon later.

This is my rough idea I quickly typed up so I wouldn't forget it. I will work on it much more later, that is if you guys can see a potential to it. Influences are pretty obvious and I sort of imagine this project kind of as a mild horror like Half-Life.

#24 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

• Nova Member
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

Actually, I'd like to use that idea for a variety of reasons:

- It would allow for a number of plot twists (i.e., finding out that your own government was behind the manufacturing of the virus).

- It would mean we could use the fast zombie script from HL2 as a base for the infected (I'm thinking a level where the player stumbles upon the testing facility).

- The fact that you're in a Black Flag group would mean that you'd start out with lower powered, less accurate weapons, and then have access to more modern weaponry when Xarkon and Victory come into play (the sort of weapon progression thing I was talking about).

- The alternate ending would allow for two things - one, an alternate ending, which is an RPG element that Scorp enjoys; and two, the fact that we could potentially have an entire level or two accessable only through one ending (in other words, replayability).

Anyone else support this?

ponyavatar.jpg

#25 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,114 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (Dense_Electric @ Jan 1 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason I'm so bent on not doing mulitplayer is because HL2 Deathmatch, quite frankly, sucks. I think a story with a decent AI would carry us a lot farther than yet another mindless rush out in the middle of the field guns blazing Call of Duty 4-style game.

Making a story is many work so maybe you will lost a interest of fans when they will dont see any results of your work. It will be your mod and I only give you suggestions cause I am in presence of modding.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#26 spanish inquisition

spanish inquisition

la big mac

• Banned
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

umm...like always, if anyone needs anything moddeled on 3ds max, just send me some concept art (or at least a description) and I can try. I am afraid thats all i can offer. I can do building and stuff like that pretty well. Just PM me or what not. Ill pay attention to this thread

I thought somebody would complain, but I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition...

you can tell alot about a guy by his avitar...

OBAMA

#27 Crackers

Crackers

NEW EARTH - RICK FETTORIAN'S STORY

• Banned
  • 785 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

Personally, I think you guys should set up everything before you go into planning it. I mean, sure, the ModDB should be able to help you guys when it comes to all of this, but you ought to just set it up as a standard multiplayer game first. That's very doable in modding Half-Life 2 I've heard and I'm sure one of you guys knows how to do that stuff. But yeah, it would be good to at first have a simple "Xarkon vs Victory" mod at first when you present it to the people at the ModDB. I'm not saying you should throw together the prettiest thing, but let them know you're serious before you begin talking about a full-fledged game. I think it would be best if I leave this post with some words from Yahtzee that really relate to this topic.

...And it seems that every time a hot new engines comes out some craven optimist will try to make a zombie mod for it and post one gun model and a piece of concept art before the level designer remembers he's only ever worked in Lego and the whole thing falls apart.

Anyway, good luck you guys.

#28 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,183 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

If you guys want, I've got whole lists of NR weapons made up, which Scorp's seen, and liked. I can show you them.

QUOTE (The Squirrel @ Dec 30 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- A control tower loses connection to a recon ship. It's the classic, board the ship and find out what happened tale. This would be an ideal plan, for a ship has many corridors that are near identical to each other. Easy level building! The story is fairly open, so we could use anything from the Nova Refuge universe we wanted as an enemy.

Thief! I used that for my Floater role-play! THAT. IS. MINE! (As in, it's being made into a story. No stealing.)

lWZ8e6F.png

#29 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:09 AM

Go for it. I'll continue working on the story the overall story this weekend. Once we've got it agreed, we'll begin working on it in depth.

I think the theme of this mod should be a lite actiony-horror like Half-Life, but with some colour. Browns and greys are a boring trend in games today and Nova Refuge has a huge colourful palette to draw from.

#30 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,183 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

Here's what I sent to Scorp:

Nova Refuge Weapons Report:

Xarkon:

XR-A12-GLS

Caliber type: 7.62x36mm/40mm HE Grenade
Magazine Capacity: 40 rounds/3 HE Grenades
Scope: Non-removable 1.0-4.5x magnification.
Variants: XR-M12 – Medic variant, a lighter, and less bulky version of the –A12-GLS, without the grenade launcher.
XR-C12 – Compact variant, used by Xarkonian Commandos – a much lighter version, without the grenade launcher, and with a shorter barrel.
XR-A12-GLS-LMG – Light Machine Gun variant, the –A12-GLS-LMG – also known as the MG12, unofficially – fires from a two hundred round barrel clip, and retains the grenade launcher. The heaviest variant.
XR-S12 – The sniper variant of the –A12-GLS, the –S12 fires the same caliber ammunition, but has a longer barrel, and more powerful scope. The grenade launcher can be added, making a long range mortar-like weapon.

Victory:

VAR-65

Caliber type: 5.45x39mm
Magazine Capacity: 50 rounds
Scope: Non-removable1.0-3.5x magnification
Variants: VSR-65 – the sniper-rifle variant, the VSR-65 fires heavier rounds, with a smaller magazine capacity, only containing thirty rounds. The VSR-65 is very light, and has a longer barrel and up to 14x scope.
VAR-65P – the Paladin variant, the -65P has a shorter barrel, integrated suppressor, and a 1.0-4.5x scope.
VAR-65H – The “Heavy” configuration; created by merely attaching a thicker barrel and larger magazine to the -65.
VAR-65L – the “Light” configuration, the -65L has a smaller magazine size, shorter barrel, and the scope/”V” has been removed.

Yavakaro:

MAR-14C

Caliber type: 7mm
Magazine Capacity: 60 rounds
Scope: Optional scope of user’s choice
Variants: Unknown at this time.

Zygbar:

ZS2-KB

Caliber type: 7.62x36mm
Magazine Capacity: 40 rounds
Scope: Optional scope of user’s choice
Variants: Unknown at this time.

Pistols:

First, some ideas on (pistol) calibers:

“10mm” – like you said – should be the standard military caliber.
“9mm” should be the caliber allowed for civilian use, while 10mm should be military (but civis can still use .45s, .357s, ect. Not Magnum’s, though. Something about one of those in civi hands doesn’t seem right. They, obviously, be available on the Black Market, though.)
“.58 Magnum” should be the standard exploding-round caliber – depending on how big you want the explosions to be. As I say later, I have a .58 caliber bullet (A Gardner, from Civil War time) and it’s big – but if you want grenade-sized explosions, you’ll want something even bigger, and would have about five rounds per clip.
“.45 HPG” is, basically, the .45 ACP round, but with HPG tech.
“.357 HPG” is, again, .357 in HPG tech.
“.40 HPG” is .40 S&W, but in HPG
“.45 ACP” would be if the user preferred rounds with brass casings – I’d like to suggest you keep just the .45s as weapons with casings. HPG tech covers the rest, but sometimes you just need a .45 with a casing, y’know? (For the coolness factor.)
“.32 caliber” should be the standard for revolvers, and such.
“.44 Magnum” would be the Magnum revolvers – Dirty Harry style, y’know? (And, no, I haven’t seen that movie.)
“.66 Magnum” would be the exploding-round size for HUGE pistols, that’re made for the sole purpose of anti-armor (i.e.: Against super-soldiers, and such. .66 caliber – I think – would be .66 inches, but I’m not positive. Still, it’d be a fairly large round, and hard to control in close combat.)

Now, just a few ideas about rifle (and other) caliber stuff. The rest of this’ll be about pistols, but I didn’t do one of these last time. tongue.gif

“7.62x51mm” is – in my opinion – what should be Xarkon and Zygbar’s standard rifle caliber. It’s the same size as a G3’s bullet, and close in size to an AK-47s. (Basically, a killing round. One of these hits you – especially a hollow point one – it’ll hurt a lot.) It’s also what would be used in most sniper rifles.
“5.56x45mm” is the same size as NATO’s standard round. It’s used in Victory’s VAR-65 (I know I said 5.56x39 before. It was a mistake) and – probably – most of the other weapons on Terra Nova.
“7x19mm” is the round used in Yavakaro’s MAR-14C, usually in AP (Armor Piercing) configuration. It is rather small, but in AP it has great penetrating ability. (Although, most people see it as a SMG sized round, seeing as it’s even smaller than the 9mm pistol round, and doesn’t have much long-range ability.)
“.30 caliber” is a round used in light-machine guns. These usually use canvas-sack “magazines”, and use the chain-bullet thingy, but use HPG tech.
“.50 caliber” is the round used for – primarily – stationary machine guns. It’s a heavy round, and hard to transport.

Now, onto some pistol ideas. (I won’t have much from Zyg/Yav, seeing as I don’t know much about Yav., and Zyg seems like they buy weapons from others – like Iran and such in today’s world.)

Xarkon-made:

(Standard sidearm?) 10mm XWM-P91 (XWM = Xarkon Weapon Manufacturers)
20 round clip, two modes of fire – three-round burst and single shot
Undermounted rail to attached light/laser
Glow-in-the-dark dots on sights (some type of paint. I read about it somewhere)

(Police pistol?) 10mm XDC-CP12 (Xarkon Defense Corp. Combat Pistol 12)
17 round clip, single shot
Built in laser sight (I saw some awesome article about some guy dual-wielding two SIGs with built in lasers. I’ll try and find it…)
Glow-in-the-dark dots on sights
Can fire if a round is in the barrel but the clip removed

XDC-PP3 9mm (Xarkon Defense Corp People’s Pistol 3 – a civilian model of the CP12)
15 round clip (Less rounds so that if a criminal were to get it, he’d have to reload faster than a cop. wink.gif )
No rail/laser sight
No glow-in-the-dark sights.
Cannot fire without clip inserted.

XDC-PM (Pistol Magnum)
.58 Magnum
11 round clip
Optional mod for .66 Magnum, but with only 6 round clip capacity

Victorian-made:

HKC-VP (Heckler, Koch, Colt Victorian Pistol)
10mm
20 round clip
Undermounted rail for laser/light
Glow-in-the-dark sights
Variants for .45 caliber, and .58 Magnum are: HCK-VP45 and HCK-VPM (Pistol .45 and Pistol Magnum, although the Magnum variant isn’t as good as the strictly Magnum pistol.)

HKC-VPP (Victorian Paladin Pistol)
10.5mm
20 round clip
Undermounted rail for laser/light
Glow-in-the-dark sights
EXTREMELY durable – y’know, like the Mk.23 is.
Threaded Barrel

HKC-Magnum (Simple name, no?)
.58 Magnum
11 round clip (I have a .58 caliber bullet. Pretty big. As thick as my finger, so, unless you want a huge clip, it has to have low ammo count.)
Optional “Eagle” style sights. (Like on a Desert Eagle. The sights are slightly different. Just stand up more.)

Harpy-Eagle
.58 Magnum
(I’ll leave the rest up to you – seeing as you (or Ryan?) designed it. tongue.gif )

Zygbari-Made:

Dominic .38 (Dominic is a Zygbar arms company – feel free to change it)
.38 caliber
Six-round capacity
Singe/double action

Dominic Magnum
.58 Magnum
9 round clip
Fashioned to imitate Xarkon’s XDC-PM, the Dominic Magnum looks very similar, but lacks mods for .66 Magnum and carries less rounds

Dominic Operator
10mm
22 round clip
Undermounted rail for laser/flashlight
Semi/full automatic

Yavakaro-made:

Nagumo Angel
.357 HPG
20 round clip
Completely white, everything from the trigger to the bullet. Also very sleek, hence the name “Angel”.

That’s all I can think of. Hope it helps!

lWZ8e6F.png

#31 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:22 AM

I'm not sure what Scorp had in mind for the weapons, even though there is lazer and blazer I think the guns should be firmly based on reality and what they would look like if such weapons existed. Cosmetics are ok because the Pulse Rifle from Aliens and real life XM8 look cool, but I think over the top designs would spoil the mood of the game.

#32 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

• Nova Member
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (GoldenElite0 @ Jan 2 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the theme of this mod should be a lite actiony-horror like Half-Life, but with some colour. Browns and greys are a boring trend in games today and Nova Refuge has a huge colourful palette to draw from.

I can't accuratley convey the ammount of agreement I'd like to stuff into this short sentence. I'd love to have a Mirror's Edge-esque style of bold whites and reds, along with blues, greens, and blacks.

As for weapon designs, I've sketched out a couple based on Scorp's AR design, and they all have that functional-yet-flashy crown design that Xarkon favors.

ponyavatar.jpg

#33 Mcbob

Mcbob

^ Always dual wield ^

• -81 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

It's about time we looked at ModDB.

But seriously, as Goldy said, start modeling first, then story.

You can basically write all you want, but it's not going to do much until you have all the models and skins done, along with sound and code.

I have a MASSIVE library of sound effects and voices. You need any specifics, give me a holler and I'll get a Zip File ready for Download.
After about eight years, I'm tired of the MG42.

#34 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:01 AM

Sorry Vorgy! I read your Floater RP so I guess it must have come to mind when I was thinking.

Like I said last time dense, I'd be happy to give textures a shot.

Volen, you were the only person who either hadn't heard of spring or wasn't prepared to learn about it. Anyway, I'm not gonna argue with you, as it's gonna be a single sided one.

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

#35 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,183 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

Also, I should note: if you want me to write the plot for any single-player stuff, I'd be happy to do so - once you're ready to work on that, that is. wink.gif

lWZ8e6F.png

#36 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,114 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (The Squirrel @ Jan 3 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Volen, you were the only person who either hadn't heard of spring or wasn't prepared to learn about it. Anyway, I'm not gonna argue with you, as it's gonna be a single sided one.

Say me how many Spring mods exist.

I cant give you much help, maybe some small ideas for units and locations, but nothing great.

#37 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (Volen Metalic @ Jan 3 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Say me how many Spring mods exist.

I cant give you much help, maybe some small ideas for units and locations, but nothing great.

Come ON Volen, quit this fighting! Spring is OPEN SOURCE! It's DESIGNED to be modded. Its whole community is based around modders!

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

#38 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

Which is the easier engine; Spring or Source? It doesn't matter which does things better, but considering our level or expertise *coughs* we really need to use the easier of the two.

#39 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,114 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (The Squirrel @ Jan 3 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Come ON Volen, quit this fighting! Spring is OPEN SOURCE! It's DESIGNED to be modded. Its whole community is based around modders!

You didnt answered how many mods which modificate Spring exists. Because this number is only 7 and noone is interested. Half-Life and HF2 are a games which are probably most moded game ever because everyone know it and can get it, but Spring... its free, but not that funny like other strategies.

Edited by Volen Metalic, 03 January 2009 - 09:53 AM.

#40 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

• Nova Member
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

Alright, we're not getting onto this. This topic is for discussing a Source mod, not Spring. They're totally different engines; one is a first person engine, the other is an RTS. If anyone wants to start a Spring mod topic, I won't stop them - but do it in another topic. The last one failed because we couldn't stop arguing over which engine to use, so I'm putting the book down here: this topic is modding Source (specifically, the HL2: Episode Two version). Again, if you want to mod another engine, talk about it in a different topic.

BTW, Vorgy, I'd love to have you as a writer. wink.gif I've written up about half of a tenative version of Goldy's story. Of course, I welcome any constructive critism or conrtibutions.

QUOTE (Me)
Level 1:

You're part of a Xarkonian Black Flag operation, equiped with third-party weapons, armor, and equipment. There's nothing to tie you to Xarkon should you be captured. You're dispatched to a remote planetyou've never heard of, on what you assume to be standard recon misson. Upon arriving, you discover the section of the planet you've landed on to be a tropical paradise, with several condominiums and luxurios hotels dotting the coast. They appear, however to be abandond. Upon moving into the center of the local city, you find some of the residents wandering the streets. The appear slightly malnourished, but otherwise okay. Moving closer, however, you're attacked by these people, who all seem to be weilding guns, and seem faster and stronger than normal humans. Eventually, are forced to retreat to the rooftops. After holding off waves of these people, you decide to retreat out of the city. A platformer segment ensues, similar to Mirror's Edge, and quickly your goal becomes clear; to find out what made these people the way they were.

Level 2:

Retreating, the entire squad was killed; save for you. You eventually realize a growing abundance of these people cluttering the streets, and you follow the horde. Eventually, you reach what appears to be a series of bunkers and towers along the coast. Upon entering one of the bunkers, you find it leads to an entire underground complex, the scale of which appears huge. Moving in, you're confronted by a rag-tag band of guards who appear to be working for Grimm's Army. Among a session of platforming and puzze-solving, you encounter something similar to the people you fought back in the city; except that these are much more reptilian (vaguley resembling the Xenomorphs from Alien?). Progressing deeper into the base, you eventually find a file on a computer detailing the virus and it's effects. You take a copy of the file as well as a sample of the virus.

Level 3:

You then must make your way deeper through the base for extraction, as the way behind you has been sealed off. It's a fairly straightforward combination of platforming, combat, and puzzle-solving. You eventually reach the beach for extraction.

I imagined the remaining levels involving you being told by Xarkon what to do (delivering it to Grimm's Army), and then making a choice whether to deliver it to Grimm or Victory.

ponyavatar.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users