NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Castle Blood Sign-Ups

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#21 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

This will take me a few days to get flushed out, but I liked coming up with the lore. Let me know if it was a bit too crazy :P

"My people are gone, but I remain. The night of mourning has past, the day of justice has come. (selah)"

Name: Vsskyre (Vis-Kiy-r) Mahalala
Race: Moth-kin
Affinity: Shadow
Deity:

Moth-kin worshipped the moon, which they characterized as the deity Vishtu, a sort of counter-part to Artemis. In their Mythology, the moon, Vishtu, used to be the true sun of Wulfgard before the wickedness of the moth-kin, her chosen people, broke her heart and fractured her into two parts. Her body became the sun- uncaring, physical, and chaotic- and her soul became the moon- gracious, spiritual, and just. The Moth-kin thus viewed themselves as the mediators between these two halves; the spiritual and the physical. As a result, by day they rested and prayed that the sun would have mercy on their world, and by night, they travel about healing and tending to the wounded.

As their traditions go, during a full moon, Vishtu's soul is reunited with her body to judge mankind. Lycanthropes, or Taga, were viewed as her arbiters of justice and were highly revered. Thus it was very common for a moth-kin to allow himself to be struck down by a werewolf, as they believed that it was the ultimate form of repentance for their sins. 

Faction: The Mahalala Priory, in allegiance to the  Minoan Allience. A clan of exclusively Moth-kin moon-worshippers. They used to dwell in a monastery not to far from Heliora, before they were all but destroyed. 
Talents: Spiritual connection, Herbalism (Mostly the healing side of things) , Marksmanship, Acrobatics

Attributes
Strength:6 - 1
Agility: 4 + 6
Constitution: 7 - 2  
Perception: 6 + 1
Intelligence: 8
Spirit: 6 + 4
Luck: 5

Appearance:

Spoilered for size. (Huge image)
Spoiler

Description: Vsskyre is around the size of an average human woman. Many of her feathers have worn off as she has spent a great many hours in the sun during her time with the Formicans. Her skin has since faded from its bone-white pigment to a hue of mottled tan. This is reflective of her aura as a whole. One cannot help but smell a strange air of magic when they are around her, a hint of a time back in her childhood when all the moth-kin used to glow with it; a trait that has since been lost due to their dispersion after a brutal raid. 

Inventory:

Two bows of Black Locust wood, sheathed in leather.
Quiver of iron arrows. (30)
Embossed leather bracers on all limbs
A large, sealed basket, filled with vessels storing an apothecary of useful healing items, bandages, and water.
Wooden fire-starter and a bit of hay.
A few bottles full of maze-brine, goat's blood, and basil leaves. (Moth-kin don't eat much because they do not have teeth, let alone because it is near impossible to consume solids with a proboscis. Instead they prefer to dissolve their food into a soup and drink it that way. Some resort to drinking blood in desperate situations, but this was proclaimed to be an unclean act by the Mahalala, punishable by banishment.)

Biography:

Vsskyre was born 19 years ago to a priest and priestess in the order Mahalala. Growing up, she learned the sacred duties of their priory: healing, praying, and gardening the lotus flowers from which they drank. Some times, the whole order would migrate out the battlefields, led by the Minoans and the cries of terrified souls. 

It was the Mahalala way to abstain from violence, but that is not why they were brought along. Instead, they would go out in the dark of the night and find the sick and the dead, and heal their wounds, singing magical songs all the way. Vsskyre was young then, but she could remember the power of those sacred chants, calming the screams of the confused, wandering spirits. They would dress up the wounds of those left behind, humans and beast-kin, and send them on their way to their respective camps. When the gods chose not to answer the soldiers' prayers, they would.

Sadly one day, while all the moth-kin were praying in the cool of their monastery, Imperial legions raided the priory, burning down the huts, and torching the orchards. To this day it is a mystery as to how they found their way monastery, but the results were devastating. The sun blinded the Moth-kin and they were unable to defend themselves. The fire killed most of the order and the few left alive fled the priory into the surrounding wastes.

Vsskyre only survived when a group of Formican foragers saw the smoke billowing up from the monastery and rushed in to look for survivors. Among the ashes and the remains of her parents, they found Vsskyre, a screaming child; grazed by the flames in a few places, but mostly unscathed. They decided to take her in and she grew up among their people, learning the arts of marksmanship and acrobatics. The Moth-kin was quite good with a bow and arrow, which surprised her Formican care-takers, and scared her a little. She hated to think what her parents would feel about her learning to kill, but deep inside she questioned if their refusal to fight actually made a difference. Part of her questioned if Vishtu even cared in the first place. When she asked the Formicans about it, they would always reply, "Shivet-shivet mekheesh ben, tzu burn zhast," which is to say "You must last the battle if you want to help anybody afterwards", a point which she really could not dispute given what happened to her people.

After 7 years of training and foraging in the foot hills between Cro-Cabra and Heliora, they were summoned to Knossos to join the war-effort building there. The 'Taurian army was impressed by the Moth-kin's ability to hear and speak to the dead and her great skill in archery, and selected her for the special mission at Castle Blood. Vsskyre was frightened by the prospect of possibly encountering humans again, let alone venturing deep into their kingdom. She kindled a great fear of their kind. As the mission grew closer, her memories of her childhood flooded into her mind; tall pale monsters of iron, with fire in their hands. She remembered their indifferent faces as they struck down Vishtu's people. But she had to go on the mission. She had to act. She could not keep hiding away from the violence, like her people.

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#22 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

So a few character ideas have been floating around in my frontal lobe, but I don't know if you would approve of all of them.

-A Elven, possibly Longstrider, spy with a mission to spy and gain information about the Alliance, of course, I wouldn't be trying to sabotage the campaign with my character's goals of bringing down the Minoan Alliance.

-A grey Fox-man with a bloodlust, would probably rely on his own melee attacks and small blades when fighting. He would be very hateful towards humans (as all Minoan Alliance supporters are) and goes into a rage when fighting humans, acting quite wild and a bit unpredictable, although I wouldn't take it out of hand and have him take a chunk out of an ally.

I would like to work with the first character, but I wasn't sure if he would fit just right in this RP, mainly because of not actually being a fully devoted member of the Alliance, and actually is determined to undermine them through deceit and gaining trust. do you think Scorp?

Edited by GhostlyCheese, 03 March 2016 - 09:51 PM.

21.jpg

#23 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

I've got a couple of ideas in mind, but I'm going to wait and see what other people sign-up as. Stuck between playing as a Felesian or Avian. 

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#24 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

POPULAR

Hey guys, I'd just like to make a friendly suggestion: rather than waiting to see what everyone else does, or posting abstract ideas for your character, why not at least put up a WIP of the character(s) you are interested in playing? You can add to or change them as inspiration strikes, and give other folks a better idea of the role you want to play as you do. It might even inspire others to sign up with characters to balance out the party better, or to play off your character(s)'s strengths and weaknesses. They might even have suggestions for your WIPs.

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#25 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

Should get a post in here tomorrow...

Hopefully I'm not too late...

#26 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:34 PM

This will take me a few days to get flushed out, but I liked coming up with the lore. Let me know if it was a bit too crazy :P

I don't quite know why first-aid is not a skill unto itself, but for some reason it's linked to survival and constitution. Could we maybe shift that around?

It's pretty crazy! But I'll try to post later with some suggestions to bring it more in line with Wulfgard lore, hopefully without making too many changes. I do very much like the drawing. Very strange and alien.

For now, regarding the first aid comment: There are several talents that offer ways to heal using different attributes. Herbalism has the same healing salves and antidotes as Survival, but based on Intelligence instead of Constitution. And of course Divine Devotion offers magic healing. I should probably have included at least one healing ability for Spiritual Connection too... hmm... I'll see about adding one.

So a few character ideas have been floating around in my frontal lobe, but I don't know if you would approve of all of them.

-A Elven, possibly Longstrider, spy with a mission to spy and gain information about the Alliance, of course, I wouldn't be trying to sabotage the campaign with my character's goals of bringing down the Minoan Alliance.

-A grey Fox-man with a bloodlust, would probably rely on his own melee attacks and small blades when fighting. He would be very hateful towards humans (as all Minoan Alliance supporters are) and goes into a rage when fighting humans, acting quite wild and a bit unpredictable, although I wouldn't take it out of hand and have him take a chunk out of an ally.

I would like to work with the first character, but I wasn't sure if he would fit just right in this RP, mainly because of not actually being a fully devoted member of the Alliance, and actually is determined to undermine them through deceit and gaining trust. do you think Scorp?

Hmm, I'm not sure why elves would want to undermine the Minoan Alliance though. They are not in direct conflict with any elven nations, and are even allies with the local wood elves. That said, you could certainly be an Elven Longstrider that's sincerely trying to help the Minoans protect the Wilds. That seems more likely.

If you really wanted to be a spy, a dwarf would actually be a better bet. Some dwarves are pretty close business partners with the Achaean Empire, and might see the growing power of the Minoan Alliance as a threat to their interests. If that interests you, let me know and I can help come up with some background lore. :)

Or you could go with the fox-man; he sounds fine.

Just a side-note though: not all Minoan Alliance supporters necessarily hate humans. After all, they're allies with the Amazons. Most just hate the Empire, for trying to conquer their peninsula. Though, some members of the Alliance would rather avoid conflict with the Empire if possible, and oppose the methods used by more violent tribes like the Burning Trees (who like to raid, eat, and sacrifice humans), claiming that they only provoke the Empire into retaliation. 

I've got a couple of ideas in mind, but I'm going to wait and see what other people sign-up as. Stuck between playing as a Felesian or Avian. 

Either would be good! A good idea might be to look for talents no one has picked yet... For instance I don't think anyone has chosen Herbalism, Divine Devotion, or Demonic Pact so far.

Should get a post in here tomorrow...

Hopefully I'm not too late...

Nope, you're not too late! I'm probably going to leave this open for most of next week.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#27 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:23 AM

Ah, gotcha. I think I've been playing too much Kotor, so I was like "All I need is just the treat injury skill". That plus life-support packs and nobody had a chance.

Anywho, yeah, I figured I'd go as nuts as I could on the sign-up within my schedule, as it's easier to cut details out than to add them in.

(EDIT: I'll add herbalism instead, then.)

#28 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,154 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:05 AM

Going to post a few ideas that I'm working on. What I pick may become dependent on what other people do. I'll feel the awful need to provide the Amazon if no one else signs up as one, and I'd love to play as my out-of-place werewolf guy, but right now I'm leaning toward Flynn for the sake of this campaign, so we'll see.  :P

Spoiler

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#29 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

Alright: here we go:

Name: Bartholomew "Basim" the Bombastic
Race: Beetle Beastfolk (Bombardier Beetle)
Affinity: Ground
Diety: Unknown
Faction: Minonian Alliance
Talents: Martial Combat, Subtlety and Thievery, Herbalism

Attributes:
Strength: 6
Agility: 8
Constitution: 4
Perception: 8
Spirit: 2
Luck: 10

Apperance: (WIP)

Inventory:

Head-wrapping to disguise appearance
Eastern stlyed clothing
Footwrappings
Two Bandoliers of three throwing daggers
Scimitar
Dirk
Pouch of Herbs and random (i.e. convenient) Potions

Biography: Bartholomew was born in the Southwestern Wilds, though he has spent most of his time in Eastern Khemet. When he was young, a strange disease prevented him from growing to his full size, making him a dwarf and a partial outcast. In these lonely years, he learned the art of herbs and of thievery. In recent years, an Imperial Legion wiped out his nest, causing him to take up a Nomadic mode of life before he joined the Minoan Alliance.

#30 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,154 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

Just want to point out something real quick, here...

Talents: Martial Combat, Subtlety and Theivery, Herbalism

Attributes:
Strength: 6
Agility: 8
Constitution: 4
Perception: 8
Spirit: 2
Luck: 10

Uh... even setting aside the fact that his name is seriously "Bartholomew the Bombastic" and his affinity is "Ground," it's very odd to pick a beetle-man to give these stats to and to give him the talents of subtlety and thievery. If you check the bonuses that beetle-men get in the sign-up thread, you'll find they're in the "large" class of beastfolk, alongside minotaurs, crocodilians, khelonians, etc. In fact, they're big, strong, and bulky, as mentioned on the wiki page, too.

Just saying, they're more the big tanky types, not subtle quiet sneaky types. :P There can be varieties, of course, but right now they're set up to be huge.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#31 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:20 PM

Heyo, just a heads up, I fiddled around a bit with my character's stat's and talents and added a picture I made of him for fun. 

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#32 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:02 AM

Heyo, just a heads up, I fiddled around a bit with my character's stat's and talents and added a picture I made of him for fun. 

Dang man, when U thought that a Minotaur couldn't get anymore BA.

#33 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

I'll probably play as this guy or an elf I'm still messing around with. Either way, both have some kinks I need to work out...
---

"My ancestors smile on me, Imperial. Can you say the same?"
(Big-ish image.)

Spoiler

Name: Vehoe Helyrha
Race: Fox-Man
Affinity: Magma
Deity: Reynard the Fox Spirit
Faction: Minoan Alliance
Talents: 
Subtlety, Knowledge (Southwestern Wilds), Survival, Acrobatics

Attributes
Strength: 6 + 2 = 8
Agility: 7 + 6 = 13
Constitution: 6 + 2 = 8
Perception: 6 + 2 = 8
Spirit: 4
Luck: 7 - 2 = 5

Appearance:
Vehoe doesn't look intimidating or dangerous at first glance. This is what makes him a great asset to the Alliance, as when in disguise he is often mistaken as a beggar or Southerner wrapped in rags, being able to blend easily with a crowd. But will alter his attire considering the situation. His slender and athletic archetype is ideal for dodging and delivering swift blows.

Inventory:
Vehoe has learned how to operate and live on little past his own wit and a pair of blades, surviving off innovative thinking and perceptive nature. But for Castle Blood he has taken extra measures to insure his survival.

(2x) Steel curved short blades
(4x) Throwing knives
(1x) Leather outfit
(1x) Rucksack with assorted rations
(2x) Water-skin, one with actual water, the other is a poisonous liquid that smells strangly familiar to whoever takes a whiff.
(2x) Rope darts
(1x) Bolas
(1x) Amulet of Reynard (No effect)

Biography:
Vehoe's father was a diplomat for the Minoan Alliance, who attempted to bring the more civilized tribes and races together to defend against the Empire's When he met Vehoe's mother, he attempted to leave his past with the Minoan Alliance behind, building a small cottage in the Southwestern Wilds. Vehoe, and then his sister, we're both born and raised in the forests. When Vehoe was fourteen, a Imperial Patrol spotted their cottage and pulled the, from their beds, outside, before they set the house ablaze. He watched as his father was cut down at the knees and beaten into the dirt. When one of the soldiers grabbed his sister, Nita, Vehoe lunged at him and bit into his neck, tearing flesh and spilling blood. In the flurry of screams and flames, the siblings disappeared into the wild.

Several years later, Vehoe and his sister were taken in by the Minoan Alliance, and both supported their defence against the Imperials, but his sister's methods were more... noble. Vehoe used his natural talents for stealth and agility to good use, often infiltrating strongholds or collecting information. On more then a few occasions, he was assigned a target to seek, study, and kill without being noticed. When the interest in Castle Blood surfaced, he wasn't the only one to come along for stealth, but he was sure that if he did come out of this alive, his victory at Castle Blood would make his parents' spirits proud very proud...

Edited by GhostlyCheese, 15 March 2016 - 01:37 PM.

21.jpg

#34 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:42 PM

I've been toying with ideas for characters all day, but I also know I'm going to be out of the country from March 12 to March 20, and I have not a single clue what my availability will be. How much of a problem is that?

Once I'm back I should be okay. My schedule will calm down significantly for the rest of March and April (with the possible exception of the week before finals).

#35 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

Just want to point out something real quick, here...

Uh... even setting aside the fact that his name is seriously "Bartholomew the Bombastic" and his affinity is "Ground," it's very odd to pick a beetle-man to give these stats to and to give him the talents of subtlety and thievery. If you check the bonuses that beetle-men get in the sign-up thread, you'll find they're in the "large" class of beastfolk, alongside minotaurs, crocodilians, khelonians, etc. In fact, they're big, strong, and bulky, as mentioned on the wiki page, too.

Just saying, they're more the big tanky types, not subtle quiet sneaky types. :P There can be varieties, of course, but right now they're set up to be huge.

Umm...he's not big because...uh...REASONS!

Name: Vehoe Helyrha

Race: Fox-Man

Inventory:

(1x) Bolas

VEHOE = SLAGAR CONFIRMED

Anyways, I'll get around to editing Bartholomew after I post in Damnatio Memoria.

EDIT: Done. Appearance will come this Saturday. 

Edited by Dalton Westmoore, 07 March 2016 - 05:49 PM.

#36 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

Ugh, I can't wait until this starts (like literally, I've been neurotically checking the topic every few minutes.)

On the side, I'm still wondering why the Beetle's name is Bartholomew, Dalton :P Something about a giant arthropod clothed in wrappings and brandishing eastern blades doesn't make me think "Bart" and I can see no logical reason why his parents would name him that (although, that outfit is awesome). There are some really cool arabic masculine names like "Barak" and "Basim" if you're looking to change it at all. 

Or maybe there's some secret, hilarious reason for the name I'm not aware of.

#37 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:53 PM

Or, coming from the "Bombastic" angle, you could name him after the pompous alchemist whose chosen name originated the word and call him "Theophrastus Bombastus von Beetleheim" or something. :P

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#38 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

Ugh, I can't wait until this starts (like literally, I've been neurotically checking the topic every few minutes.)

On the side, I'm still wondering why the Beetle's name is Bartholomew, Dalton :P Something about a giant arthropod clothed in wrappings and brandishing eastern blades doesn't make me think "Bart" and I can see no logical reason why his parents would name him that (although, that outfit is awesome). There are some really cool arabic masculine names like "Barak" and "Basim" if you're looking to change it at all. 

Or maybe there's some secret, hilarious reason for the name I'm not aware of.

Mmm...

Basim sounds cool.

Gonna roll with that now.

Or, coming from the "Bombastic" angle, you could name him after the pompous alchemist whose chosen name originated the word and call him "Theophrastus Bombastus von Beetleheim" or something. :P

1942715-hohenheim_of_light.jpg

#39 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

Okay, I'm finally gonna give some exact feedback on certain sign-ups now. Thanks to Wolfy for helping me out here.  :P

DAGOTH:
I think your sign-up is really cool, but I have some suggestions to bring it more in line with the Wulfgard lore:
  • In order for your race and the lore surrounding it to fit into Wulfgard, I've decided that your moth-kin are not pixies at all, but are descended from a tribe of moth-shifters who did NOT escape into the Spirit Realm and thus suffered the same curse as other beastfolk. This would explain why they cannot (presumably) shift forms and sizes like pixies can. And presumably lost their wings too? Or did your character's wings fall off when much of her feathery hair did?
  • The moth-kin mythology surrounding the moon doesn't quite fit with the lore, but it works as a local myth that is probably a not-completely-accurate interpretation of anicent events passed down by word of mouth. So, that's fine.
  • Unless I'm mistaken, an iron bow would not be very functional, as it would be extremely hard to bend. Perhaps a different material, like some type of unique wood?
  • So far we've followed a general rule in Wulfgard that all beastfolk have a roughly humanoid mouth somewhere (even if it's hidden behind giant chelicerae or similar insectoid mouthparts) and are capable of verbal communication. I think we'll say the same for your moth-lady, just so she can talk to the other party members.
  • Just for the record, spiritual magic is more about speaking to the dead than the undead.  :P Although it's mainly about speaking to the spirits of the land.
DALTON:
  • Actually, I think a smaller beetle-man would be fine, even without the growth-stunting you mentioned. After all, bombardier beetles aren't as big as the stag/rhinoceros beetles that our larger beetle-folk are primarily based on.
  • It's true that the name Bartholomew doesn't fit very well with the Wulfgard lore, as Dagoth mentioned. Though I'm trying not to be picky about names for the RP, so you can keep it if you just like the way it sounds.  :P

GHOSTLYCHEESE:

• That looks like a picture of a wolf furry, not a fox one.  :P But that's okay, I get the idea.
  • Kitsune is more of an Eastern term, and all beastfolk have long forgotten their ancient Shifter heritage anyway (except for hints in some ancient traditions), so perhaps a different god is in order... hmm... Maybe Reynard the fox spirit:D

I've been toying with ideas for characters all day, but I also know I'm going to be out of the country from March 12 to March 20, and I have not a single clue what my availability will be. How much of a problem is that?

Once I'm back I should be okay. My schedule will calm down significantly for the rest of March and April (with the possible exception of the week before finals).

Hmm, well, that's only a week, so as long as you can get one good post in during that time, you should be okay.  ;)

And by "good" I certainly don't mean it has to be long. Just as long as you respond to my main DM post that week by taking some kind of action or at least speaking to another party member.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#40 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:24 PM

Okay, I'm finally gonna give some exact feedback on certain sign-ups now. Thanks to Wolfy for helping me out here. :P

DAGOTH:
I think your sign-up is really cool, but I have some suggestions to bring it more in line with the Wulfgard lore:[list]
[*]In order for your race and the lore surrounding it to fit into Wulfgard, I've decided that your moth-kin are not pixies at all, but are descended from a tribe of moth-shifters who did NOT escape into the Spirit Realm and thus suffered the same curse as other beastfolk. This would explain why they cannot (presumably) shift forms and sizes like pixies can. And presumably lost their wings too? Or did your character's wings fall off when much of her feathery hair did?
[*]The moth-kin mythology surrounding the moon doesn't quite fit with the lore, but it works as a local myth that is probably a not-completely-accurate interpretation of anicent events passed down by word of mouth. So, that's fine.
[*]Unless I'm mistaken, an iron bow would not be very functional, as it would be extremely hard to bend. Perhaps a different material, like some type of unique wood?
[*]So far we've followed a general rule in Wulfgard that all beastfolk have a roughly humanoid mouth somewhere (even if it's hidden behind giant chelicerae or similar insectoid mouthparts) and are capable of verbal communication. I think we'll say the same for your moth-lady, just so she can talk to the other party members.
[*]Just for the record, spiritual magic is more about speaking to the dead than the undead. :P Although it's mainly about speaking to the spirits of the land.

1. Thanks for the feedback! I was sort of hoping the moth-kin would be their own race. I always thought moths had an eery, morbid, but also beautiful side to them that wouldn't fit in with pixies. I think they it would be best if the Moth-kin did have wings, just because it's such a prominent feature. It would be like having a minotaur without horns or a Kelonian without a shell. So, I have two ideas for why her wings (and antennae) are missing:

A: Formicans cropped them when she was young to allow her to fit in and maintain a group mentality. Or maybe she did it to herself later as a right of passage to show her devotion to the hive.

B: What you said, the sun wore them away. I might re-write it as a mix of both. Either way, my idea is that as she is re-introduced into her native environment of shadow, they start to come back. I might just write more on this in the character enrichment thread.

But yes, the Moth-kin did have wings naturally.

3. I figured with the mythology, like real world myths about the flood and a tempter (snake), the the Moth-kin myth has a basic grain of truth with the actual mythology in Wulfgard "something bad happened, and we were cursed. Violence. The werewolves were special for some reason, but we don't know or remember". It's a distant echo or maybe it just has a resemblance by chance, but Artemis perhaps allows them to keep practicing because of their reaction to the myth, regardless of it being honest or not. Either way, they worship the moon and give her tribute.
4. The Elder Scrolls games got me there. Curses!  :P Maybe I'll find some cool wood, like you say. (EDIT: Black Locust Wood)
5. Yeah, I figured she can talk with a humanoid throat and internal jaw-like mandibles to shape the noise like a regular mouth. She'll probably have issues with some sounds and also smell strange from constantly venting and reading pheromones, but that's mostly side-effects from being raised as a Formican, I'd guess.
6. My bad, fixed*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users