NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Castle Greywatch (A Dying Breed - START)

80 replies to this topic

#41 DragonJedi

DragonJedi

"Dead-Eye Jargon"

• Nova Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

Giving Araven's hand a firm shake, he replied, "Caiden Voros of Redfield." He gave Krystia a low nod, as well. "Pleasure to meet you both."

Krystia had smiled widely at Caiden’s statement, and it had not missed Araven’s notice.

"The pleasure is ours." she replied. Araven struggled to hide his exasperation.

"I'd second talking to Cristina first"Another Venator spoke up, this one a tiny elven woman with fiery auburn hair. "With so many gone missing, the last thing we want to do is go in blind."

She turned to Araven and Krystia: "I'm Hollí Emberleaf" she introduced herself. "You're welcome to join us!"

“Good to meet you, Hollí,” Araven replied. “I appreciate the invitation, and I’ll be happy to join you. I can’t speak for Krystia, but I’m sure she would be too.” His eyes darted towards Caiden at that. If she went with Caiden on this hunt, Araven would feel his ears burning the entire time.

Another woman appeared next to Krystia. She was easily the most beautiful person that Araven had ever seen. “Oh, Krystine, I’ve been looking all over for you!” She smiled widely. “I had some hunting techniques I wanted to show you!” She winked at the younger Venator.“Don’t worry gentlemen, I won’t be long~...” Brys added, flashing Caiden a warm grin as she whisked Krystia away from the group.

Araven wasn’t too worried at this point. Krystia could handle herself in most situations, unless, of course, Caiden Voros happened to be involoved.

Luckily, Agethar said something to break the silence left by Krystia’s departure. "Ye seem familiar wit' Dragon's Lair. Would ye mind sharing what ye know about it wit' us, or is it more of a...er, private matter?"

"It's not," Caiden replied. "I went there shortly after a long mission in Rognosst Swamp. I'm familiar with Cristina and I'm familiar with the region. It's a good city, ruled by the Drakes. And it's full of good people... all of whom respect their ruling family." His eternal scowl worsened just a tad. "It'd be best if we didn't mention Tom or what happened to him."

"That goes without sayin'." Agethar said.

Caiden shrugged. "Word spread fast after the people of Illikon learned the truth," he clarified. "To the Empire, Tom is dead. He has an empty grave in Illikon. He told his parents to bury him there if he ever fell in battle."

"But I'm surprised tha' 'is family has their own city," he continued "I always thought that th' Drakes lived in a Manor in Illikon."

"The Drakes are one of the Northwest's three major families under the Illikonis... each one rules their own city, and each one has a manor in Illikon." He shrugged. "Don't know much beyond that."

"Given your particular experience with the area, do you have any thoughts on what could have gotten Indigo and Darin?" Araven asked Caiden.

#42 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,430 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

Bullseye was sitting by mistress, and she idly scratched his ears as she pretended to listen to the grumpy men in blue capes.  He knew she was pretending to listen, because she looked at the sky instead of them a lot. Or the weird not-sky that looked like the rocks he was now sitting on.  This confused him at times.

"You might want to use a bit more...tact when 'the kinda bossy one' is sitting across from you." the Venator said as he removed the straw.

Mistress looked at the sky.  She also snorted. Bullseye knew this meant she didn’t care.  He decided this probably meant she also didn’t care about him being there, since there were no more ear scratches.  He got up and saw new friend, and approached with tail wagging and nose sniffing. New friend had been many places and seen many people, he sensed.  Even people and places he knew, maybe!

---

"Indeed," agreed Brennus, very pointedly. To Kate, he added, "We would have trouble creating an exact timeframe, considering most Venatori cannot read or write letters, and even then, we can't be sure when letters would've been sent..." He frowned. "But you may be onto something there.

The Inquisitor placed her glass on a stand within reach of her chair, and leaned back confidently.  “Thanks awfully,” was her only reply, but her disdainful smirk remained.

"Either way," he added, "the Venatori shouldn't suspect each other."

Crestwell frowned slightly.

"I wish I could agree with you on that. Without trust between us, the order is nothing, that's true. But at the same time, it's naive to dismiss the possibility of a traitor among us."

He paused to take another sip.

"It really comes down to motive. Who among us would wish to harm their own?" He examined the glass thoughtfully before turning to Kate.

"Who knows you came here? Did anyone show an undue interest in your plans?"

She shrugged nonchalantly.  “I was helping an old friend in my own order to train one of our southern garrisons when I got the letter.  He outranks me, but we’re close enough that when I told him I had personal business, he granted me leave and didn’t ask any questions.  He’s the only one I told I was leaving, and I didn’t even mention where I was headed.”

Kate then cracked her knuckles, loudly and obnoxiously.  “As for your second question, I didn’t notice anyone following me on the way here, and the Inquisition doesn’t pay me to be blind or stupid.  Anyone who tried to get nosy in taverns and such was quickly dissuaded by my natural charm.”  She seemed very pleased with herself for using such a large word amongst her usual sarcasm.

Suddenly a thought occurred to her.  “Though now that ya mention suspects in your order, my friend did keep going on and on about a friend he made in the Venatori that disappeared for his own personal reasons.  Some kinda self-imposed exile, real Achaean Tragedy-like.” She leaned and leered in Brennus’ direction.  “Can’t remember the poor bugger’s name for the life of me, but does that match the story of one of your people out there, boss-man?”

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#43 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

Krystia blushed a deep crimson at Lyneth’s tease. For a brief moment, the half-succubus worried for her.

"I.. I mean..."

So when Lyneth explained her joke, she did so somewhat hastily. It seemed to help redirect young Krystia’s attention back to the hunk at hand, at least. Phew, minor crisis averted. I mean, no offense, sweetie, but if we spent that night I’d have to explain how things work… probably repeatedly.

Gods, I hope Athens knows his way around a woman.

"Aren't you and..." She paused, "the fancy nobleman. You know."

Lyneth kept grinning. She’d gotten used to doing that in the face of extreme crisis, and it shifted to a thoughtful pout. “Mh… yes, I suppose I should spend at least one night with him, first.” The half-demon nodded, taking the situation into quite serious consideration. Or at least, looking like she was.

Reaching a decision, Krystia exhaled. "I don't really know much about this kind of thing. I've never..." She trailed off for what felt like the thousandth time. "But I know Caiden feels something for me, I can see it in his eye."

“Mmmmmhm…” Lyneth nodded slowly, mostly to show she’d heard. She hadn’t had the pleasure of so much as a dance with the local Venatori legend, so there was only so much specific help could give. Fortunately for Krystia, Brys knew a lot of general technique.

“Well, let’s start with lesson number one, hm?” She grinned, shifting closer to Krystia and laying an arm across her shoulders. “You’ve gotta take command, girl.”

In one smooth motion she spun around Krystia, taking the younger woman by her shoulders. “Look ‘em in the eye, puff up your chest,” she followed her own advice in steps as she listed them off, “and remember to smile, sweetie. That’s the most important thing. Now, you try!”

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#44 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

In one smooth motion she spun around Krystia, taking the younger woman by her shoulders. Look em in the eye, puff up your chest, she followed her own advice in steps as she listed them off, and remember to smile, sweetie. Thats the most important thing. Now, you try!

Krystia hesitated slightly, trying to ignore how close the other woman's face was to hers. Or the puffed out... chest. By Forseti, Lyneth's teeth were absolutely perfect. So were her..

"So it's sort of like cutting a purse? Or fighting a monster. Plan your movements, then take control of the situation." She nodded to herself.

She smiled nervously. "I can do that.

Lyneth's hands were still on her shoulders, so after a slightly awkward attempt at reaching round them she settled for placing them round her waist, pulling her lightly closer.

"What now?"
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#45 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:44 AM

"Though now that ya mention suspects in your order, my friend did keep going on and on about a friend he made in the Venatori that disappeared for his own personal reasons. Some kinda self-imposed exile, real Achaean Tragedy-like." She leaned and leered in Brennus direction. "Can't remember the poor buggers name for the life of me, but does that match the story of one of your people out there, boss-man?"

Crestwell finished his drink qnd carefully set the tumbler down before resting his chin in his open hand.

"There are a few that fit that description, but I have a strong suspicion as to the most likely."

His brow furrowed as he turned to face Brennus.

"The timing of his return is too convenient for my liking. Add the protest of opening quarters and we start to get a picture."

He turned back to Kate.

"What did your friend have to say about this man and his exile. Did he ever talk of the order?"

#46 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,430 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

"What did your friend have to say about this man and his exile. Did he ever talk of the order?"

Kate reclined slightly, head tilted in thought.  “Not much, from what I remember. Old Marcus apparently looked up to this guy a lot, though.  Told me the fella saved his neck many a time, but got zapped by some kind of demonic magic. That’s why he left civilization, wasn’t sure if he might be a danger to others, whatever got done to him.  Though if he’s back, hopefully that means his problems got solved. Marcus sure seems to miss his boyfriend.”

The Inquisitor ducked by instinct and snapped her head around.  “Oh, right!  His actual girlfriend’s not here to throw stuff at me for saying that.  That’s a relief.”

#47 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

"Told me the fella saved his neck many a time, but got zapped by some kind of demonic magic. Thats why he left civilization, wasnt sure if he might be a danger to others, whatever got done to him. Though if hes back, hopefully that means his problems got solved."

Crestwell stiffened.

"Son of a.. I was never quite sure of the boy, not since Gwen. But this is something else." He gingerly pulled himself out of his chair. "We may have a monster or a demon in our midst." He gestured for the others to get up.

"I say we find out exactly what it is that Voros doesn't want us to find in his quarters.

#48 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Supreme Alpha Male. Also the Last Jedi.

• Nova Patron
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

"Word spread fast after the people of Illikon learned the truth, to the Empire, Tom is dead. He has an empty grave in Illikon. He told his parents to bury him there if he ever fell in battle."

Agethar was somewhat taken aback by this, but not as much as he should have been.

He knew what their policy, and therefore the Empire's policy, on people with Drake's...condition, but he was somewhat shocked with the callousness of it all.

"The Drakes are one of the Northwest's three major families under the Illikonis... each one rules their own city, and each one has a manor in Illikon. Don't know much beyond that."

"Given your particular experience with the area, do you have any thoughts on what could have gotten Indigo and Darin?"

"I might be able tae offer a few guesses." the Venator interrupted as he continued to eat his food "I doubt t'was Beastfolk what did th' pair in, or land-based Beastfolk at least. Plus, what with 'em being so close tae Deltalund, perhaps they were lost tae th' nearby swamp-lands. I've heard stories from about the quest fer th' mage Letom that mention a specimen of Creep takin' over part o' th' place."

---

After the normal introductions that all Cainines performed, Maugrimm lead Bullseye out of the study and towards the kitchen.

He would show off his relationship with the Venator Cooks to his new friend: both would eat like kings!

---

Cyrus reinserted his straw and finished his drink while the conversation continued.

"Though now that ya mention suspects in your order, my friend did keep going on and on about a friend he made in the Venatori that disappeared for his own personal reasons. Some kinda self-imposed exile, real Achaean Tragedy-like. Can't remember the poor buggers name for the life of me, but does that match the story of one of your people out there, boss-man?"

"There are a few that fit that description, but I have a strong suspicion as to the most likely. The timing of his return is too convenient for my liking. Add the protest of opening quarters and we start to get a picture. What did your friend have to say about this man and his exile. Did he ever talk of the order?

"Told me the fella saved his neck many a time, but got zapped by some kind of demonic magic. That's why he left civilization, wasn't sure if he might be a danger to others, whatever got done to him. Though if he's back, hopefully that means his problems got solved."

"Son of a.. I was never quite sure of the boy, not since Gwen. But this is something else." He gingerly pulled himself out of his chair. "We may have a monster or a demon in our midst. I say we find out exactly what it is that Voros doesn't want us to find in his quarters."

"I hate to disagree with you, Crestwell," the Venator said as he rose from his chair "but I doubt that we have to go far to figure out what he doesn't want us to find, if you catch my meaning..."

He looked at the others and said "We need to think about this. He's supposedly been off the map for a while, but he returned in time for this meeting with Agethar of Bjornburg. In addition to this during the investigation of a Faustus Tome in Artorius, three Venatori were involved: the Hill-Dwarf Daisy and the Elves Jed and Forge, and all three interacted with Voros multiple times during the investigation. We might do well to interrogate these three before confronting Voros directly, after all, if we scare him, he could run back into the wild once again."

#49 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

Crestwell shook his head.

"We talk to any of them, we risk tipping him off. As it is, everyone is most likely still downstairs. We have an opportunity now, before he has the chance to hide anything."

#50 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

"So it's sort of like cutting a purse? Or fighting a monster. Plan your movements, then take control of the situation." Krystia nodded to herself.

Lyneth nodded encouragingly. “Yes, exactly!”

The younger huntress smiled nervously. "I can do that.”

After a slightly awkward attempt by Krystia at reaching around her hands, the younger woman settled for placing Lyneth’s around her own waist, pulling her instructor lightly closer.

"What now?"

Brys grinned, before suddenly dropping Krystia into a low dip. “Don’t lose control.” She winked teasingly, lifting Krystia up. “You just gotta keep your target a little off-balance. That’s what sets a date apart from a monster hunt.” She smiled wryly. “Push too hard and you make them uncomfortable, push too little and you risk losing control.”

#51 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:59 PM

"We talk to any of them, we risk tipping him off. As it is, everyone is most likely still downstairs. We have an opportunity now, before he has the chance to hide anything.

"True," Cyrus said "but I won't be going with you. Privacy revoked or not, breaking into his room looks suspicious and will hurt our case more than help it."

#52 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

"Given your particular experience with the area, do you have any thoughts on what could have gotten Indigo and Darin?" Araven asked Caiden.

Agethar interrupted, "I might be able tae offer a few guesses. I doubt t'was Beastfolk what did th' pair in, or land-based Beastfolk at least. Plus, what with 'em being so close tae Deltalund, perhaps they were lost tae th' nearby swamp-lands. I've heard stories from about the quest fer th' mage Letom that mention a specimen of Creep takin' over part o' th' place."

While Agethar spoke, Caiden's gaze wandered. He grunted, just once, quietly and seemingly to himself, as he shifted his weight between his feet.

When Agethar was done, Caiden's scowl worsened a tad. "If the Creep is there, I hope it hasn't gotten that close to Dragon's Lair."

He folded his arms. "We heard rumors of undead or werewolves. Some claimed vampires. Given the dragon knights are good at keeping the region safe... I'm not sure. More werewolves have come into the area, it's true. But all we have to go on are 'strange sights and sounds.' We'll have to go there and talk to the locals who summoned Venatori there, see if they have more specifics."

---

Brennus listened in silence as Crestwell and Cyrus discussed the potential situation with Caiden. Brennus frowned and let his gaze wander out one of the nearby large windows.

"I can see both sides of the issue," Brennus muttered. "Should you want aid, either of you, ask me. But for now I'm going back to the great hall, see who's left yet... I won't let anyone disappear again. I'm going to keep better track of our hunters."

With that, Brennus left. Crestwell and Kate, meanwhile, made their way down the halls, up the stairs... and located Caiden's private room.

It wasn't hard to find whose room was whose, as each door bore the mark of its owner - the crest of their home city, in most cases. Or, in the case of shared home cities, the crest and another mark or signature, if the inhabitant could actually read.

Caiden, however, was the only Venator from Redfield. But his door didn't carry the scorpion heraldry of the Lysanders - it had a heraldic bull, an ancient symbol of the city many years before. A symbol Caiden also wore on the short sleeves of his leather jerkin, so it was easy to match up.

The door was unlocked - they weren't entirely sure why, but that was perhaps a mystery for another time. It didn't matter, as it meant that they had easy access to the room.

And there wasn't much to see. It was immaculately organized. Some weapons on a rack on one side of the room - swords, axes, crossbows, bows, shields... equipment to clean them with, as well.

A very large and robust table meant for alchemy and potion-making stood on one side of the very small room, but it was perfectly clean and all the bottles put away. No sign of reagents left out or on any shelves there, either.

Lastly, there was a bed that looked a bit too small to fit Voros's exceedingly tall frame, with a chest at the foot of it.

If the room hid anything else, it wasn't obvious at first glance.

((Note to Taco: If you want Asti and Sivan to go up to Caiden's room as well, feel free to have them accompany Crestwell and Kate in your post.))

---

Maugrimm led Bullseye off down the halls of the castle, making his way straight to the kitchens. There weren't many Venatori cooking meals at the moment - for themselves or anyone else - but Maugrimm saw a very familiar face and headed straight for her, because he knew she always gave him treats.

A tall, ebony-skinned Aethiopi woman stood by a hunk of meat roasting on a spit, watching it as it popped and cracked, spitting hot grease. She absently polished a silver dagger for what was probably the fifteenth time while she waited for the meat to cook.

Maugrimm knew her name was Keva. And she liked dogs, so Maugrimm liked her. Because Maugrimm liked food.

Keva turned to regard the pair of hounds as they stopped and stared at her with their longing eyes. She put on an amused smirk and shook her head.

"What'd you do, adopt a stray?" she asked Maugrimm, scratching one of his ears. She muttered, "You two will still eat less than Redfield..."

In just a moment, she took the meat off the spit and picked up a nearby knife to start carving it. She set a pair of bowls on the floor, each one with a succulent slice of roasted meat.

---

In the great hall, one Venator showed up a little late. Yggmindl trudged on in and took quick stock of the situation: a hall full of Venatori, mostly familiar faces, including Caiden and others - Daisy, Jed, Forge... and plenty of groups seemed to be forming, everyone chattering about something or another. At the back of the great hall, she saw Brennus enter, wearing a frown.

((Note that there ARE other Venatori around. Other NPCs. Sorry for being somewhat vague with that so far. You can even bring some of these NPCs along with you on your hunts, if you ask them. If you're looking for a companion of some particular skillset, race, or some other variety, feel free to say so and I'll let you know if there are any fitting your companion search. :P ))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#53 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

While it was usually a bittersweet homecoming to return to Castle Greywatch, the walk up today had put an exceptionally sour taste in her mouth. Normally she'd only have to mourn the number they'd lost to the realities of the work they did. Today, though... they had deserters. And spying Brennus as she walked in, Yggmindl had a mind to find out why.

"Brennus!" She hollered across the great hall, her voice somehow friendly, suspicious, and disappointed all at once, in a way that could be mistaken for almost motherly, "Just what in all the hells happened that made all those sad folks I passed on my way in decide to derelict their duty?"

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#54 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

• Nova Patron
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

"If the Creep is there, I hope it hasn't gotten that close to Dragon's Lair. We heard rumors of undead or werewolves. Some claimed vampires. Given the dragon knights are good at keeping the region safe... I'm not sure. More werewolves have come into the area, it's true. But all we have to go on are 'strange sights and sounds.' We'll have to go there and talk to the locals who summoned Venatori there, see if they have more specifics."

Agethar belated realized that those three options had been mentioned, but he had neglected to mention them.

"Brennus! Just what in all the hells happened that made all those sad folks I passed on my way in decide to derelict their duty?

The Venator turned to see Yggmindl returning, most likely to play mother hen with Brennus.

"Looks like we have a few stragglers..." he said quietly to himself.

---

"What'd you do, adopt a stray? You two will still eat less than Redfield..."

Maugrimm panted agreeably, looking up at Keva with soulful eyes. As if she knew what he wanted, she brought him and Bullseye two bowls of meat.

The Hound immediately began to eat out of the larger bowl, the succulent flavors lost on him as he only cared about the fact that he was eating food.

---

"I can see both sides of the issue, should you want aid, either of you, ask me. But for now I'm going back to the great hall, see who's left yet... I won't let anyone disappear again. I'm going to keep better track of our hunters."

Cyrus nodded, and then exited the study, returning to the main hall. He spotted the three Venators he mentioned to the others and began to walk towards them: he decided to talk to Daisy first, as the reputations of Jed and Forge were legendary...simply because of how annoying they were.

"Venator Daisy," he said calmly "it's good to see you again. I was wondering if you could answer some questions about the search for the Faustus Tome in Artorius." 

#55 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Hollí sighed and only barely resisted the urge to bury her face in her hands as Lyneth suddenly appeared and dragged Krystia away, well aware of exactly what sort of 'hunting techniques' the woman doubtless planned to teach.

With the order as weak and fragile—and it pained her to admit that was so—as it was, the last thing they needed was for Lyneth to go corrupting the mind of the young pup. Lyneth, who changed hunting partners almost as often as she changed clothes—and who seemed all too willing to discard the latter for most anything with a pulse (as Hollí saw it). The promiscuous woman, in her opinion, was a blight on the honor of both the Venatori and all female-kind. Unfortunately, saving one naive half-elf's innocence was a secondary priority at the moment.

"I might be able tae offer a few guesses. I doubt t'was Beastfolk what did th' pair in, or land-based Beastfolk at least. Plus, what with 'em being so close tae Deltalund, perhaps they were lost tae th' nearby swamp-lands. I've heard stories from about the quest fer th' mage Letom that mention a specimen of Creep takin' over part o' th' place."

"If the Creep is there, I hope it hasn't gotten that close to Dragon's Lair..."

Hollí didn't know a lot about the Creep, but she knew enough for the mention of the name to prompt a grimace of concern and revulsion from her.

"We heard rumors of undead or werewolves. Some claimed vampires. Given the dragon knights are good at keeping the region safe... I'm not sure. More werewolves have come into the area, it's true. But all we have to go on are 'strange sights and sounds.' We'll have to go there and talk to the locals who summoned Venatori there, see if they have more specifics."

"Then perhaps we should get going as soon as possible" Hollí suggested, taking advantage of the opening. "It is no short trek to Dragon's Lair, and—though the chance is unfortunately faint—if our missing comrades yet live, then time is very much of the essence."

Every word she spoke was in earnest. However, there were other reasons she wished to leave soon. For one, it would get her, personally, away from that damnable Inquisitor. ...And also, conveniently, it would get Krystia away from Lyneth's bad influence.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#56 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,430 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:53 PM

He looked at the others and said "We need to think about this. He's supposedly been off the map for a while, but he returned in time for this meeting with Agethar of Bjornburg. In addition to this during the investigation of a Faustus Tome in Artorius, three Venatori were involved: the Hill-Dwarf Daisy and the Elves Jed and Forge, and all three interacted with Voros multiple times during the investigation. We might do well to interrogate these three before confronting Voros directly, after all, if we scare him, he could run back into the wild once again."

This development puzzled Kate immensely, and she blurted, “What the hells were four Venatori doing looking for a Faustus tome?  That’d be strictly Inquisition business. And how do you know all that, but I don’t?

Crestwell then brought up a good rebuttal.  

"We talk to any of them, we risk tipping him off. As it is, everyone is most likely still downstairs. We have an opportunity now, before he has the chance to hide anything."

After Brennus gave his blessing, Meliora stood, nodding and rubbing her hands emphatically.  “Sounds like this Voros chap is your suspect, then.  I do love a good snoop and search!”

Kate followed Crestwell up to the private quarters of the Venatori, keeping close to the wall and hoping no one on the level below was watching them.  As much as she was starting to like her new misshapen friend, she doubted he would be much help if his fellow hunters objected to their belongings being searched.

They came to a stop at a door marked with a bull, a sigil that Kate did not recognize but Crestwell confirmed belonged to the Voros character that had been mentioned.  When she saw what lay behind the door, however, she instantly knew it belonged to the Venator her friend had spoken so highly of.

Good gods!,” she exclaimed.  “Forget boyfriend, I’m starting to think this bugger is Marcus’ brother or somethin’.  It’s sickeningly clean in here, makes me all self-conscious.”  

She surveyed her surroundings, not seeing anything else that stood out or looked even remotely suspicious.  Still, it helped to get her bearings and give her more in-depth search a good framework. The Inquisition had taught her that successfully, at least.

Alright, Crestwell.  Guess I’ll start with the obvious and check that chest.  You want to make sense of his alchemy doodads, see if there’s anything nonstandard?  It’d probably just be Old Achaean to me.

-----

Meanwhile, Bullseye now firmly believed he had made a good choice in friends.  Maugrimm led him straight to the kitchen, where another person in the blue cloak was roasting...meat.  His mouth watered, his tail nearly wagged clean off, and he began to pant in excitement and sheer delight at the prospect.

Then the nice lady actually carved some of the juicy roast for them, and the world became a much brighter place.  While Maugrimm immediately tore into his portion, Bullseye nuzzled the nice lady’s leg in gratitude. Mistress would always go “hmph” and scratch his ears grudgingly when he thanked her like that, which was her way of saying “I love you” and “you’re welcome” at the same time.  At this range, Keva had a clear view of his black leather collar, which was embossed with the sigil of the Inquisition and his name.

After properly thanking Keva for the meal, Bullseye went up to the remaining bowl of meat, sniffed the tantalizing aroma, then sat in front of it like he was guarding it, poised and awaiting command.  It took a few awkward moments of silence for him to recognize the conundrum he was in. Mistress always told him when to start eating. Nice lady was not mistress, and probably did not know of his mealtime rules.  The diminutive pointer turned his longing gaze to Keva, pleading she would guess the cue he awaited.

#57 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:40 AM

"Alright, Crestwell. Guess I'll start with the obvious and check that chest. You want to make sense of his alchemy doodads, see if theres anything nonstandard? Itd probably just be Old Achaean to me."

Crestwell nodded, but stayed put for a few seconds to take in the room as Kate moved towards the chest.

His own quarters were relatively nest, but this was something else. Either Voros was the most practical, least sentimental man in the Empire, or they were missing something.

He shook his head and hobbled over to the alchemy table, leaning heavily on his crutch as he surveyed the immaculate bottles, looking for.. something.

"Check the bed too," he instructed, "he may have hidden something among the linens."

#58 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 715 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Brys grinned, before suddenly dropping Krystia into a low dip. "Dont lose control." She winked teasingly, lifting Krystia up. "You just gotta keep your target a little off-balance. That's what sets a date apart from a monster hunt." She smiled wryly. "Push too hard and you make them uncomfortable, push too little and you risk losing control."

Krystia grinned, still blushing. "Thank you so much!" She pulled herself up out of the dip. "I don't know how to thank you."

She pulled Lyneth into a close hug.

#59 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

Krystia grinned, still blushing. "Thank you so much!" She pulled herself up out of the dip. "I don't know how to thank you."

As Krystia pulled Lyneth into a hug, the half-demon couldn't resist pulling her just a little too close - just for a tantalizing moment. With a playful giggle and a wink, Krystia was quickly released, however.

"Don't worry, I can." She teased, before promptly slipping away into the crowd. She was late for her date with Athens... and then with the Southwestern Wilds, after that.

#60 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:24 AM

Krystia stared absently as she watched the other woman walk away. She tore her gaze away, making a decision. She hadn't got where she was today without being bold.

She strode purposefully over to the group that had formed around Caiden. She waited for a gap in the conversation and then struck, walking over to the man and putting a firm hand on his firmer bicep.

"I apologise for that. Lyneth had some.. important business to discuss."

She pulled slightly, attempting to unbalance him as Lyneth had suggested. She would have been more fruitful trying to unbalance the castle.

"So, Caiden," she continued in a fair approximation of Lyneth's more sultry tones, "I look forward to working with you. I'm sure you can show me so much."

She squeezed the bicep and smiled. Lyneth said smile. Was this enough of a smile?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users