NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - The Forbidden Halls of Clan Dimmlundar

68 replies to this topic

#61 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

"You'd better be," the Templar said darkly as he sheathed his sword "if there were more Templars here, I'd take you in for questioning about your curse. However, since I'm the only one, I have no choice but to take your word for it."

Caiden didn't give that an answer - except a simple nod.

"Well, I believe ye." Agethar said, looking at the mutated venator apprehensively.

Again, he said nothing, though he gave another silent nod, this time a grateful one.

Malvolio snorted and said, "I suggest that you renew whatever illusion that hid your curse from us: the next people to see you probably won't be as forgiving as us."

Caiden gave a short growl and said only, "It wasn't an illusion."

Allya, meanwhile, turned to the demon once more and said, "Thank you for the information. Now farewell, and may we never meet again."

And with that, Allya performed the necessary rituals to banish the demon back to the Underworld. He caused no fret or fuss, standing in silence and even closing his eyes as a great gout of flame built and erupted at his own feet, trapped within the circle - and then, in a flash of fire and the stink of brimstone, the demon was gone.

Caiden, meanwhile, took the opportunity to get some distance from the group, as he moved into a dark corner of the great summoning room instead, standing in silence and watching, the tentacles sprouting from his arms writhing absently.

The summoning circle stood empty... and ready to be used.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#62 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

Garandros stood leaning against the wall, his sword in his hand but lowered to the floor. He'd stayed silent for the conflict, watching and listening.

And growing more and more conflicted.

Voros was dangerous, there was no doubt about that. But an unwanted curse, destroying a man's life? That, he could understand.

With a sigh he sheathed the blade, and strode over to the corner where Caiden cowered - no, he observed, the man stood tall even now.

"What happened to you?" He growled, but without menace.

----

Elnira breathed a sigh of relief as the demon disappeared. Demons were fascinating, but best observed from a distance. Still, she could definitely add to her notes on the subject after this expedition.

Mr Whiskers' hiss caused her to snap back to reality and she realised she was tightly squeezing Korvarl's arm. With a start she left go and awkwardly patted the spot, veggie wandering over to Allya.

"Where did you learn all that?" She squeaked. "I learned a lot of theoretical demonology, but you look like you've done that before!"
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#63 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

"It wasn't an illusion."

Malvolio raised an eyebrow: it was clear he wouldn't be as accepting as the Venator's other friends.

On the bright side… we have another little edge on the big demon, right? Think of it like that, guys.

The Templar looked at the elf like she was insane. Pitting some sort of mutant demon-thing against an arch-demon was a stupid idea at best, and deadly at worst.

---

As the demon vanished back into the underworld, Agethar made his way over to Caiden. He - being Agethar - was curious, and needed answers.

However, the other Venator beat him too the punch.

"What happened to you?"

"Were ye too busy being a broodin' loner that ye missed him explain' it earlier?" the Northern Venator asked before turning to Caiden.

"I'd like some answers too, but I donnae think that this is th' best place tae ask 'em. After what I've seen here I'd like tae just git th' sword 'n' go."

---

Huo watched as the Demon of Betrayal vanished in a swirling column of flame.

"<My debt to you is paid>," the Priest said in eastern as the demon vanished "<go in peace.>"

The Priest made his way to Korval, passing Elnira, and muttering the spell to renew his sight as he walked.

"Do you still have that book?" he asked the dwarf "now that th' demon is gone, we can reverse-engineer it to summon a celestial."

"And that's just the easy part," he thought to himself "trying to convince it to fight that giant demon will be the hardest thing we've done on this journey."

#64 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

And just like that, the demon was gone, leaving only a faint, sulfurous miasma in its wake.

"All yours" Allya said to Korvarl, stepping back and gesturing at the now-vacant summoning circle.

"Where did you learn all that? I learned a lot of theoretical demonology, but you look like you've done that before!"

She gave a wry grin as she turned to face the little dwarf scholar. "Actually, as banishings go, that was my first" she replied. "But my mother liked to... experiment with all sorts of magics. I mostly learned from her---from what notes she left behind... Learned far better than to play around with such things. I would suggest you stick to the theoretical side---as I have tried to" she cautioned Elnira.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#65 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

Caiden remained still and silent in the corner, watching, until both the other Venatori approached him, one after the other. He didn't show any outward signs of annoyance or tension, and it was clear he had expected it.

"What happened to you?" Garandros growled, but without menace.

Before he could answer, Agethar spoke next: "Were ye too busy being a broodin' loner that ye missed him explain' it earlier?" the Northern Venator asked before turning to Caiden.

"I'd like some answers too, but I donnae think that this is th' best place tae ask 'em. After what I've seen here I'd like tae just git th' sword 'n' go."

"Some kind of demonic mutations," Caiden replied to Garandros. "From cursed obsidian... I can explain everything I know about it once we're out of this place," he finished for the both of them, though it was clear he wasn't too keen on doing that.

"For now, just trust me. Although I know it might not be easy to do."

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#66 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

Korvarl finally stepped forward as the abominable demon was banished, though his eyes remained warily set on Caiden. They didn’t know what kind of demon he was, and apparently the other had been trying to manipulate them. Granted… maybe this was some kind of weird illusion to trick them into fighting each other. Or… something. The dwarf groaned, his head starting to ache. Gods damn this ‘adventure’ and all the ills it had brought them.

"All yours" Allya told him after ensuring the demon was really gone, stepping back and gesturing at the now-vacant summoning circle.

Silvershield nodded, stepping up to the circle and looking through the book, looking for the most potent - or at least the most plausible - celestial he could try to summon. On that note, which god was likely to take up their cause the most? Aw hells…

He took in the surrounding groups, taking a wild guess at their faiths. They did have a big ol’ warrior woman, one who undoubtedly praised the Aesir or Vanir. Same with the elf ladies and Elnira, too. Maybe that blonde Venator as well, Age-what’s-his-face. Besides them, though… Ah whatever, we outnumber ‘em. He decided with a shrug. Turning his full attention to the book, he wondered if a valkyrie or something of the sort would come to their aid. That’ll be something to tell the kids…

“Well, let’s see if this works.” He muttered - mostly to himself - before getting to work.

------

Percula stayed close to Caid - as she was wont to do - while Garandros and Agethar closed in. Oh boy…

Agethar turned out to be the more accepting of the two, reprimanding Garadros when the gruff man asked what had happened. Voros answered regardless.

"Some kind of demonic mutations," Caiden replied to Garandros. "From cursed obsidian... I can explain everything I know about it once we're out of this place," he finished for the both of them, though it was clear he wasn't too keen on doing that. Percula rested a hand on his shoulder to try easing his mood. It’s gonna be okay, Caid...

"For now, just trust me. Although I know it might not be easy to do."

“...If it’s any help,” Percula added, slipping in between Caiden and the other two. This did little more than accentuate how much smaller she was than him, and how bad she was at taking attention from Voros; much less when he was mutated like this. “I’ve been with him for…” She paused, realizing she hadn’t exactly kept track. “...a long while,” she finally settled with a sheepish grin, “and he hasn’t changed a bit. At least, not thanks to… uh, this.” Saffron clarified, poking a nearby tentacle. She resisted snickering at its reaction, trying to remember that normal people would be freaked out by all the demonic protrusions that Caid gained in this form, rather than amused.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#67 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

((Maybe if I bump this, Wolfy will finally throw up a DM post))

"Some kind of demonic mutations, from cursed obsidian... I can explain everything I know about it once we're out of this place, for now, just trust me. Although I know it might not be easy to do."

...If it’s any help, I’ve been with him for…a long while, and he hasn’t changed a bit. At least, not thanks to… uh, this.” 

Agethar nodded silently; something unusual for him.

He could wait for answers.

---

Well, let’s see if this works.

"If it works, I can help you talk to whatever we summon." Huo said as he stood beside the dwarf "My training as a Priest prepared me for talking to both servants of light and of darkness."

#68 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

Korvarl set to work putting together the summoning ritual to call a celestial being to their aid. Caiden ducked out of the room with a growl stuck in his throat, and Percula trailed along after him.

The others stayed put, watching as the ritual was underway. Some of them gathered around to pray to their various deities, each quietly hoping a servant of their respected god or goddess would be the one to appear.

What appeared sent everyone to their knees, regardless of their faith. In a blinding flash of pure golden light appeared a tall angel, six enormous wings of white feathers spreading from his back, his muscular body clad in a suit of purest silver and gold armor. A winged helm crowned by a glowing golden halo covered his face, save for the blue light pouring from his eyes. On his belt hung a massive sword, its crosspiece and hilt together forming an image of open wings.

The being of purest Benevolence lifted his head, looking each one of them over. One by one, they bowed his head under his gaze as he looked upon their souls.

"This servant of Apophis you speak of," said the angel, "has broken his shackles and committed acts of atrocity beyond even the ordinary machinations of demons. Ordinarily..." he allowed a brief pause, "this would nonetheless be the business of mortals. Mortals allowed the demon here. It is not the place of celestials to meddle in the affairs of those who damn themselves. But you could have just as easily summoned a demon to answer your pleas... They would have been willing. Yet you chose the forces of good. For this, I will aid you."

With a casual wave of his hand, he broke the summoning circle. The bindings could never dream to hold a being of his power - truly a powerful celestial had answered their summons. Perhaps even powerful enough to challenge Xiraloc, if his appearance were anything to go by.

"However," said the celestial as he stepped out of his would-be bindings, "I will not condone the greed of mortals. I am aware Xiraloc sleeps in a treasure vault. If any of you takes a single treasure beyond this sword demanded of you, I will relinquish my aid and leave you at the mercy of the demon. Is this understood?"

They had no choice but to agree. With this rule thus set, the celestial led the way back to the clanhall under which Xiraloc lay in his age-long slumber.

Waking the demon proved simple with the celestial leading the way. Because the celestial drew his golden sword, which instantly caught flame, and swung for the slumbering demon's head. Xiraloc awoke and formed a blade from seemingly thing air. While the two battled and nearly brought the entire clanhall crashing down on their heads, the adventurers slipped by just enough to acquire Dáinsleif: a beautifully made sword, its blade engraved in runes and its hilt wrapped in fine leather. There was no mistaking it - it looked like the sword of a hero.

The celestial of Benevolence slew Xiraloc - even if he lost two wings in the process and several pieces of his armor, receiving some slashes that left trails of glowing golden blood. Xiraloc lay defeated, banished back to Hell - and the adventurers were allowed to depart with their prize.

((Some quick trivia: Originally, players would be able to choose whether to work with the celestial or simply dismiss him. Players could summon a demon lord instead, and pay a higher price for his aid but acquire many more treasures. That's the short version. :P ))

---

The journey back out of the Forbidden Halls of Clan Dimmlundar seemed almost simple compared to the journey getting there. But as they finally stepped back out into the open, frigid air of the Jagged Edge, they saw a figure approaching them - Agni himself.

Just as everyone was asking themselves how the hell did he get here, Agni put on a smile and said he would take the sword now. Several adventurers demanded answers for that binding put on them. But since it was only broken once the sword was back in Agni's hands, they were forced to give over the blade.

Agni took it with thanks... And then he took a few steps away from them, saying that he would explain everything. In particular how he got here after all the strife they faced in the Edge even reaching this point.

It was because Agni was a dragon.

The change was rapid. One moment, there was a dwarf - the next, the single most enormous red dragon any of them had ever imagined stood before them, all enormous wings, horns, and a great crest on his head.

The dragon seemed pleased with providing this revelation. It had been to long, he said, since mortals gazed upon his magnificence. Yes, he put a bind on each of them to assure that they would retrieve the sword and not fail him. The city was warded against his entry, as - long ago - King Hreidmar himself stole this very sword from the dragon's hoard on his mad, greed-driven conquest of Nidavellir. The dragon decided they deserved, after all they went through, to know the truth: Dáinsleif was one of the only weapons in the mortal world capable of harming something such as a dragon. It was forged long ago by an ancient, primordial race now forgotten by the ignorance of Men: a race with the blood of wolves in their veins.

But now Dáinsleif was his once more, and his to keep. Once more would no mortal disturb the hoard of the great dragon Flametongue.

The dragon gave them one last parting gift: he cleared a path for them down the mountain, scorching everything in his wake. He said it would not be difficult for them to find and follow back to their own civilizations, for the Jagged Edge was no place for mortals.

And, with that, the dragon Flametongue took his leave - and promised they would never meet again.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#69 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

Malvolio watched as Flametongue spread his wings and flew away, soaring across the Jagged Edge until he was a speck in the distance.

He would have pinched himself, but he already knew that he was awake.

"Well," the Templar said as he turned to the others "now that was something I didn't think I would see on this mission."

"Along with the...other things that I didn't think I would see on this mission."

---

Agethar watched in awe as the dragon took his leave from the group.

"Well, what now?" the Venator asked, turning to see if he could spot Caiden in the group.

---

There were no words that Huo Shiye could use to describe what had just happened.

Xiraloc's soul had been a red, tainted flame that would haunt his dreams for years, while the Celestial's soul had been bright blue and pure.

But both of them paled in comparison to the soul of Flametounge. 

The Priest was completely awestruck by the living, breath aspect of fire.

However, the dragon soon left with the sword that they had searched for, something that probably in another situation would be a bad thing.

Huo then turned to the group and spoke:

"Thank you for this journey that I have been a part of. I have learned much about the West, and I will continue my own in order to learn more."

He then bowed to the group, said "Farewell." and then proceeded to walk down the path the dragon had made for them, though he walked slowly in case anyone wished to speak to him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users