NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Roadside inn near the Tall Fort

113 replies to this topic

#21 Balder

Balder

Aww yiss, give me dose pets

• 155 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

"Seems that way," the Captain agreed, glancing back at the others. "I'm glad. It's a shame our orders don't always get along."

"A shame indeed.," Tobias concurred.

The Templar swallowed another mouthful of ale as he thought the Generals question over. "I think he's a monster and needs to be stopped," he replied at length, turning his blue eyes, so bright they almost seemed unreal, back to Tobias who in turn only raised an eyebrow to urge the captain to continue.

"I don't know if he's a monster the way some people might think of them, but some Men are monsters. I'm mostly just wondering why he'd suddenly lash out against the orders of Astra. He killed an Inquisitor and took his armor - that's murder, but it has no connection to that monastery he raided and torched. So why'd he want to bring the Templars and the Inquisition down on him? It's suicide."

"Because he's either a madman or he wants us to come," the old Inquisitor noted cynically. "Or both. Either way I doubt that he's alone in this." 

Stevan shook his head. "The fact that we don't know his motives worries me even more than the fact that he's wearing void iron."

Giving a small nod, Tobias agreed. "Yes, we know much to little."

A wry smile crept up the old mans features as recalled a fitting phrase that would no doubt appeal to the Templar. "Per aspera ad astra," he said to Stevan, lifting his mug, before bringing the ale to his lips.

kung_krarl_uggla_by_garaun-d98gsar.png

#22 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

A very large Templar lumbered over to Yaroslava and Mina. Shade watched him approach, sitting up and pricking his ears forward curiously at the newcomer. The dog got up and trotted over to sniff of Gauvain's boots.

"Mind if I sit?" he asked as he gestured to the empty chair.

"No, go ahead," replied Yaroslava. But she remarked dryly as she gestured toward the exceptionally tall and heavy Ben and Sarael, "Though it looks like all the other half-giants are in that corner."

Still, she didn't really seem to mind, and Shade certainly didn't. If anything, Yaroslava seemed to be in a good mood... It might've had something to do with the drink.

"I'm Yaroslava Sturm," said the Ebonguard. "It looks like you Templars just love me today. Must be Shade," she scratched the dog's head as he went over to sit by her side again.

---

"Why?" Sarael asked, honestly confused, taking Ben's statement at more-or-less face value. "Being able to play or sing doesn't prevent one from also being a skilled fighter... at least, I assume so —I've been told I 'couldn't play an instrument to save my life'"  she continued, her utterly earnest —if typically cheerful— expression the only thing that made it clear she wasn't joking.

Ben tried not to laugh, but it was becoming an uphill battle. A smile pulled at one side of his mouth.

"So, come on... won't you please play something?" she asked sweetly, with a matching smile that almost verged on the saccharine.

She bordered on annoying, but Ben couldn't bring himself to be terribly annoyed. He smiled and replied, "Maybe I will in a minute. I don't write many, uh... optimistic songs, though. Not sure anyone's excited to hear that kind of thing right now," he joked.

"Yeah, my old Knight-Captain used to say I'm 'more energetic than a sackful of puppies' —I'm not exactly sure why he'd put puppies in a sack, but, eh..." she said, with a shrug that indicated she had no concerns over the matter. "I've just always figured that if I'm going to do something, I might as well do it with spirit!"

He just nodded in quiet agreement.

"And what about you?" she asked. "Why were you all alone in this corner?"

Ben shrugged. "Just thinking. And drinking," he added, briefly lifting his tankard slightly - at this point, it was empty. "Everyone else is eating, but I'm not hungry, so I figured I'd get out of the way. Not that I mind mingling, but, frankly, I'm not used to working with Templars. I don't have any problem with it, of course, it's just weird to me. I'm getting used to it."

He took up the guitar leaning against the wall and laid it across his lap - only to be interrupted as something so silently glided up onto the table between Ben and Sarael that it seemed to appear from thin air. It was a cat, and a very pretty one at that. She was a little damp from coming in from the rain, but she briefly turned her emerald green eyes to Sarael before she padded over to Ben's side of the table and started headbutting his arm.

Ben just laughed and started petting the cat, which promptly began to purr softly. "Couldn't find any mice, huh?" he said, scratching the feline behind one ear.

As the cat leaned into the scratching, Ben looked at Sarael again. "This is Jane," he said, nodding to the cat. "I know, it's ridiculous to carry a cat with me on a mission, but cats actually have a sense for this kind of stuff. Magic, I mean. They're attuned to it, I think. No one really knows how it works, but Jane's found more than a few magical locations and items in her time."

---

"Because he's either a madman or he wants us to come," the old Inquisitor noted cynically. "Or both. Either way I doubt that he's alone in this."

"Probably not," Stevan agreed. "But if he's involved with any particular cult... Well, we'll have to figure out how to investigate that in the morning."

Giving a small nod, Tobias agreed. "Yes, we know much to little." A wry smile crept up the old mans features as recalled a fitting phrase that would no doubt appeal to the Templar. "Per aspera ad astra," he said to Stevan, lifting his mug, before bringing the ale to his lips.

Stevan offered a smile in return, drinking from his own tankard. After a moment, he said, "I don't mean any disrespect - just the opposite, actually - but I'm surprised to see an Inquisitor-General in the field. I've worked alongside Karl Metus, but I've never met any other Generals very eager to get back into the field. Any particular reason, or...?" He shrugged. "Did this mission just seem too important to leave to Inquisitors and Ebonguards?"

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#23 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

((Edit.))

Edited by GhostlyCheese, 01 February 2016 - 02:40 PM.

21.jpg

#24 Ratcatcher

Ratcatcher

Yes, I also handle elemental rats

• Nova Member
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

"Me? I joined when I was sixteen, so it's been... almost eleven years now, I suppose. And I've been a channeler for more than the last seven of those years." Lucy's eyes widened in admiration. Wow, she thought, eleven years! She must be brilliant!

"So, you've never used your power in the field?" she asked after a moment's pause, to confirm what Lucy had said. Lucy looked around to make sure nobody was listening in.

"I... I didn't know you could be so open about channeling. I thought we had to do our best to keep it on the down-low." She realized that she hadn't answered Kristina's question. "Um... anyways, no. I just recently got my runes. They still kind of tingle. But what's it like when you do it though? In the field, I mean? Is it frightening, or exciting, or does it hurt?" Lady Augustus felt her heart pumping within her. She had mixed feelings about channeling. She loved trying new things (adored might be a better word), but there was a part of her that said she should very much be afraid to have to use it. 

#25 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

“The name is Cicero Silius, Ebonguard.”

The man shook Augustin’s hand firmly, then continued, “Where do you hail from, friend?”

“From close to the Northern border,” Augustin replied. “My family has some land up. What of you? Where do you hail from?”

Augustin sipped from his port and quickly scanned the room again. Everyone was grouping up and chattering to one another. Inquisitors, Templars, and even Venatori all happily getting along. It was something new, from his work in the North his dealings with Templars had been few and far between and they mostly avoid one another. The Venatori, on the other hand, were more of a rabble of monster hunters. His trainer, Inquisitor Daniel, never spoke highly of them, waving them off as a poor order that was in a constant state of disarray. Though this mission certainly did Augustin a chance to learn more of their order.

Posted Image

#26 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

"I... I didn't know you could be so open about channeling. I thought we had to do our best to keep it on the down-low."

Kristina gave a slight shrug. "We're all comrades here" she said, gesturing at the assembled Inquisitors and Templar —the innkeeper and his family were too distant, and likely busy besides, to be listening in.

"Um... anyways, no. I just recently got my runes. They still kind of tingle. But what's it like when you do it though? In the field, I mean? Is it frightening, or exciting, or does it hurt?"

"It's... empowering" she answered after a moment. "It lets us stand on a level in combat with those that have the Condition, and wield it for evil. But, perhaps more importantly, it also gives us a gentler, safer way to deal with those who are simply afraid or confused" she continued.

"... And, no, it most certainly does not hurt —not when done correctly, anyway. In fact, properly executed, it should be almost effortless —you're not creating the power, simply giving it new direction."

"The two important things to remember, as my teacher told me, are these: first, know your limits —and, trust me, if you get close to them, you'll feel it in your skin; second, always have a clear end-use in mind when absorbing magic —we can only hold it for a few moments, you don't want to get stuck trying to find a safe way to dispose of it. Absorb too much, or hold onto it for too long and, well, this happens" she said, slipping a finger under the cuff of her left glove and peeling the clingy fabric down away from her elbow, revealing part of her forearm —and the twisted scars there, partially hidden beneath her tattoos, but still all too visible.

She firmly believed that an object lesson, something that could be seen (and the pain of which imagined), served as a much better warning than any amount of words.

"Just thinking. And drinking. Everyone else is eating, but I'm not hungry, so I figured I'd get out of the way. Not that I mind mingling, but, frankly, I'm not used to working with Templars. I don't have any problem with it, of course, it's just weird to me. I'm getting used to it."

"Well, I've never met an Inquisitor before, so I guess we're kind of in the same boat" Sarael replied lightly.

"Speaking of which... Is it really true that your armor blocks magic?" she asked with eager curiosity.

"This is Jane. I know, it's ridiculous to carry a cat with me on a mission, but cats actually have a sense for this kind of stuff. Magic, I mean. They're attuned to it, I think. No one really knows how it works, but Jane's found more than a few magical locations and items in her time."

"Oh, I don't know, I think she's adorable!" she replied, as if adorableness was more than enough of a reason to bring a cat along on a mission. "And smart too."

"... Can I pet her?" she asked a moment later, gesturing at the cat —only to break off with a sheepish grin as she realized that she was still wearing her armored gauntlets, promptly taking them off and setting them aside on the table. "Can I?"

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#27 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,840 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

"From close to the Northern border. My family has some land up. What of you? Where do you hail from?" asked Caesar.

"I come from the kingdom of Northrim, my family owns a simple farm," answered Cicero.

He watched Augustin take a sip, then scan the room.

"Looking for someone in particular?" asked Cicero, a small hint of concern in his voice. He had heard of possibly needing to bunk with someone else, and didn't know anyone else other than Augustin.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#28 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

“I come from the kingdom of Northrim, my family owns a simple farm,” answered Cicero.

Well it certainly explained the man’s stature, a farm boy would definitely get the build to wield a greatsword. Augustin made a mental note to keep the Ebonguard nearby, someone who could wield a weapon of that magnitude could be useful.

“Looking for someone in particular?” asked Cicero, a small hint of concern in his voice. The question snapped Augustin out of his mind and into the world again.

“Hm?” Augustin raised an eyebrow. “Oh no. Frankly I haven’t met a single one of these people before. I am more intrigued how well a mixed group of the orders is getting along. Not something you see every day. At least, not in the North that is.”

Augustin paused for a moment to take another sip. “Which reminds me, are you in need of a roommate tonight?”

Posted Image

#29 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,840 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

"Hm?" Augustin raised an eyebrow at the question, then answered, "Oh no. Frankly I haven't met a single one of these people before. I am more intrigued how well a mix group of the orders is getting along. Not something you see every day. At least, not in the North that is."

The fellow Ebonguard paused to take another sip, "Which reminds me, are you in need of a roommate tonight?"

Cicero nodded in agreement, "Indeed, it is not common for all the different orders to mingle so easily. Although, I don't think I've ever seen a Venator before. Truth be told, you don't see many members of any of the orders up in Northrim."

Cicero left out a small sigh of relief, "I am, you don't mind sharing a room with me?"

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

#30 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

"Speaking of which... Is it really true that your armor blocks magic?" Sarael asked with eager curiosity.

"Yeah, it does," Ben replied; he didn't sound terribly enchanted with the idea, for whatever reason. "It actually absorbs it. Like if a mage was blasting fire right at me, as long as I had my full suit of armor, I could just walk right through. Wouldn't even touch me."

"Oh, I don't know, I think she's adorable!" she replied regaridng the cat, as if adorableness was more than enough of a reason to bring a cat along on a mission. "And smart too."

Ben grinned. "She's definitely both."

"... Can I pet her?" she asked a moment later, gesturing at the cat —only to break off with a sheepish grin as she realized that she was still wearing her armored gauntlets, promptly taking them off and setting them aside on the table. "Can I?"

"Sure - if she'll let you," he teased. Jane mostly seemed interested in him, but she looked back at Sarael again when she removed her gauntlets. Cautiously, the cat took on step toward her and watched her, sniffing and waiting for the offering of some bare fingers before she decided Sarael was trustworthy enough to touch her.

"She's usually alright with petting, but careful making friends with her. She can get pretty needy for attention sometimes."

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#31 Ratcatcher

Ratcatcher

• Nova Member
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

"It's... empowering," Kristina said. "It lets us stand on a level in combat with those that have the Condition, and wield it for evil. But, perhaps more importantly, it also gives us a gentler, safer way to deal with those who are simply afraid or confused." Lucy nodded with understanding, smiling. She totally understood that. After some of the things she had seen, she had a hypothesis that the Condition did something to warp a person's mind emotionally.

"And, no, it most certainly does not hurt," Reyne continued, "—not when done correctly, anyway. In fact, properly executed, it should be almost effortless —you're not creating the power, simply giving it new direction." Lucy nodded. "Yeah, that makes sense.  My instructor taught that to me as well."

"The two important things to remember, as my teacher told me, are these: first, know your limits —and, trust me, if you get close to them, you'll feel it in your skin; second, always have a clear end-use in mind when absorbing magic —we can only hold it for a few moments, you don't want to get stuck trying to find a safe way to dispose of it. Absorb too much, or hold onto it for too long and, well, this happens." The Channeler pulled her sleeve down to show horrific scars along her forearm. Lucy leaned in and peered at them carefully. "Wow..." Her tone of voice was almost as though she was impressed. For all she knew, Kristina was lucky to be alive. They were odd-looking, almost like a mix between burn marks and... something else.

Something suddenly clicked in her mind, and her heart sank. Maybe she wasn't quite ready for this. Not that she wasn't willing to face it, but... what if, perhaps, when channeling, she hurt somebody else? What if those scars were something she ended up accidentally giving to somebody else? What if she ended up being the cause of somebody's horrific, life-changing scars, or worse? She leaned back, looking Kristina in the eye. There was a lot of confidence, and a lot of seriousness in them. But it also looked like everything she had seen (and possibly done) had... desensitized her, maybe?

Over a silent minute or so, Lucy came to a decision as she looked down with a furrowed brow of thought: She needed a friend. An emotional anchor that she could trust. Not romantic or anything like that, but just... a friend. She thought about all the Knights of the Inquisition she knew. Most of them were this way. Seeing some of the awful things that people afflicted with the Condition can do must really take it's toll. The only knight she knew of that were more... human... was Ben. And, frankly, he was way too cute to be an emotional anchor. Hmm...

She snapped back to reality again, realizing Kristina was near her. "Er--oh. Sorry about that. Sometimes I just think too much, and my mind starts to wander..." Lucy chuckled hollowly. Awkward. She stood up. "Thanks for the advice, Kristina. It means a lot to me." She nodded respectfully (I must nod a lot, don't I?) and went to meet somebody else. She wanted to get to know these people a little better. Who was that one guy... she never saw him hanging out around the "cool" Inquisitors... Matt, was it? Matt Tibur? She didn't have to look around long to see him talking to some other guy. She walked up to the conversation, unsure of what they were talking about, but willing to leap in anyway, to try and preoccupy her mind. She could do plenty of deep-thinking later that night. "Hey guys!" She looked up from behind black, grease-stained eyes, smiling. "Whatcha talking about?"

#32 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:56 PM

It seemed that everyone was getting along nicely in the groups, they didn't sit in a huddle, staring at others while they did the same, although a few strayed from socializing and sat alone. After a moment, the scarred Templar raised an eyebrow and said , "Odd that you see it that way, but, yes, that sounds appropriate."

"Not saying honour and service isn't important, but I try to avoid breaking into a rant about my dedication in front of people, it tends to lead to a argument." Grey glanced at the man and gave a head twitch. "You know what I mean?"

Grey had hoped he could just go back to his food, but it seemed that the Templars weren't there just for autographs. "That couldn't be possible, could it? She replied to his comment about monster armies in particular. I''ve never recorded demons and other monsters working together well, besides vampires, of course. She offered meekly.

The Southron held a hand over his mouth and spoke. "I was exaggerating." He swallowed and continued. "Vampires, Beastfolk, Werewolves. Doesn't matter which one he has. What matters is if he has monster on his side. It's like my father would tell me." Grey puffed out his chest and sat straight. "Grey, the Empire is a wild and strange place, just because no one has seen it, doesn't mean it can't happen." He said in a fake-deep voice, impersonating his father. "You would laugh if you knew him." Grey shrugged.

"I'm a chronicler." She explained. "I've recorded the demises of many demons and their pawns, and have copies of the works of other chroniclers. I'll be able to tell if we've faced this Letom or his true master before and if we haven't, I'll record how we defeat him. It''s not unlike how you Venatori work, as far as I know." She added. "Though you know all the monsters there are to fight already. Demons are a broader matter."

Grey looked back at her and looked intrigued. "A scribe? Interesting, I have quiet a hobby of doing charcoal-sketches of my travels, people, or events." He offered. "None of them are that good though. It isn't like your position though, where you're here to record and provide knowledge, mine are just for entertainment." Grey finished, hoping she wouldn't ask to see them. "Of course chronicling is much nobler work, I mean where would we be if no one remembered the past? In a hundred years from now, all this is going to matter."

21.jpg

#33 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

((I’ll give Harry a bit before I post something up for Irena :P ))

"Fine; fine as could be expected," Evan said to Mettius, his pearl white teeth gleaming in a smile. "Though I sense that you are in a dilemma, are you not?”

Tibur’s eyes widened. “Sense?” He asked, glancing around. “...You’re joking, ri-?”

“You don't really want to share a room with a woman, or look...improper if you ask one to share a room, yes?"

Mettius stared at the odd Inquisitor for a long moment before slowly opening his mouth - not that anyone could see, considering his helmet and all - “how did you-?”

"Hey guys!"

The feminine voice made Tibur freeze, and for a panic-stricken second the poor young man thought his secret was out. He stayed for still, barring a slight, persistent shaking, as the female Inquisitor stepped into view. Of course, it was one of the Channelers, too. Mettius gulped, trying to keep it quiet as she looked up from behind black, grease-stained eyes, smiling. "Whatcha talking about?"

“...N-nothing.” He said, glancing briefly - and very, very sharply - at Evan. “Just… exchanging pleasantries.” The Ebonguard expanded, shifting uncomfortably.

“Did you need something?” He asked, quickly, before the dark-skinned Ebonguard could cut in with some awkward question or blab about him searching for a female companion to share a room with… just so I can contain my Condition without wearing armor to bed, for once, mind!

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#34 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

Cicero nodded in agreement, “Indeed, it is not common for all the different orders to mingle so easily. Although, I don't think I've ever seen a Venator before. Truth be told, you don't see many members of any of the orders up in Northrim.”

Cicero left out a small sigh of relief, “I am, you don't mind sharing a room with me?”

Augustin smiled, “Not at all, good sir.”

He thought over Cicero’s first statement and nodded. “It is true, you don’t see many of them in the North. I have only had the briefest of encounters and the inquisitor I trained with did not speak too highly of them. Though I feel his judgement may have been a tad biased.”

Augustin sipped from his glass again and his gaze settled on the pair of Venatori, both of which were currently engaged in a conversation with two Templars.

“I feel this would as good a time as any to learn more of our comrades,” Augustin nodded at the pair of Venatori. “We should go speak of them. But first, do you need to acquire some food and drink?”

Posted Image

#35 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,840 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

Augustin smiled, "Not at all, good sir."

Cicero responded with a breath of relief.

His fellow Ebonguard nodded, "It is true, you don't see many of them in the North. I have only the briefest of encounters and the inquisitor I trained under with did not speak too highly of them. Though I feel his judgement may have been a tad biased."

Again Augustin took a sip where Cicero watched his gaze settle upon a pair of Venatori conversing with a pair of Templars.

"I feel this would as good a time as any to learn more of our comrades," Augustin nodded at the pair of Venatori. "We should go speak of them. But first, do you need to acquire some food and drink?"

Letting out a little laugh, "Aye, I probably should get something into me after such a long ride. Let me order something and then we can head on over to socialize."

Cicero hailed the innkeeper's daughter and ordered a plate of bread, meat, and a cup of milk. It wasn't long before he was given his food. Plate and mug in hand he turned to Augustin, "Ready if you are."

KY0FhTX.jpg

#36 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

The large man let out a small laugh. “Aye, I probably should get something into me after such a long ride. Let me order something and then we can head on over to socialize.”

Augustin nodded and Cicero moved out of his sight for a moment. While he was gone Augustin finished off his port, hissing slightly as the alcohol burned down his throat. Though the feeling shortly turned into a much more pleasant tingling as a gentle warmth spread through his body. The perfect cure for a long ride. The Inquisitor rolled his neck and felt every vertebrae pop slightly as the tension left his body. The world was a much better place now.

Just as the tension left Augustin’s limbs his fellow inquisitor reappeared with a mug and a plate. “Ready if you are,” he said.

“Excellent,” Augustin replied. “Come, let us see what we can learn of these monster hunters.”

The pair made their way across the room, casually strolling towards the four individuals. As causal as two plate-armored men could that is. As they closed in Augustin over heard the one of the blue-cloaked men talking.

“Of course chronicling is much nobler work, I mean where would we be if no one remembered the past? In a hundred years from now, all this is going to matter.”

Augustin sat on the edge of the group, listening in on their conversation. There were two Venatori, one young-looking and no doubt the apprentice to the older one. The younger Venator was the one currently speaking. The other members of the conversation were Templars, one male and one female. The man had a horrific scar on his face, something Augustin noted as a scarred man himself, and seemed to have the build of a warrior. The woman, on the other hand, could best be described as a monk, she looked every inch a scholar and not someone you would find operating in the field.

Posted Image

#37 Ratcatcher

Ratcatcher

• Nova Member
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

"...N-nothing." He said, glancing briefly - and very, very sharply - at Evan. "Just exchanging pleasantries." The Ebonguard expanded, shifting uncomfortably. "Did you need something?"

It appeared as though Lucy came in at the wrong moment. "Oh. Well, I didn't mean to interrupt your conversation about who's is larger... I just realized that I never met you two, and I think I could get to know you better." She directed her last few words at Tibur pointedly. She smiled as innocently as possible; she wasn't trying to be flirtatious in the least; from what she had seen, this guy was always really fidgety and uncomfortable, and she wanted to come off as... Trustworthy. Besides, she knew men were stupid, and even if he did think she was flirting, she thought he was kind of cute anyway. Well, sort of.

Lucy grabbed his right hand with hers, and gave it a firm shake. She also casually had her left hand on his elbow, but looked him straight in the eye. "Hey Matt, my name's Lucy." It was a trick she learned from her uncle, who was an entrepreneur: by touching their elbow, you send a hidden message that you're a friend. Of course, it's weird if they notice it directly, so you make sure you introduce yourself eye to eye to distract them. Of course, she had never tried it, and for all Lucy knew, she was freaking out this poor, shy Inquisitor. "I don't suppose you'd be so kind as to buy me some stew?" Lucy didn't intend that question flirty OR clever; she was just hungry and hadn't received any recent payment. She realized then she wasn't good at thinking things through.

#38 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

"Wow..."

Kristina had gotten a variety of reactions to her scars —at least, on the rare occasions she allowed people to see them—, but that was a first. 

She sat patiently as Lucy went silent, pulling her glove back up and resuming lightly sipping at her drink. Mentally, though, she was frowning. It didn't bode well for the girl's future in the Inquisition if she couldn't even look at such things without going practically catatonic for over a minute.

"Er--oh. Sorry about that. Sometimes I just think too much, and my mind starts to wander... Thanks for the advice, Kristina. It means a lot to me."

"Any time" she said, as Lucy beat a hasty retreat. Damn, that scared her. Maybe she shouldn't have shown her her scars? —no, the girl needed to learn, sooner or later. And if she didn't learn now, she would likely be in for a rude awakening when they finally caught up to this 'Letom'.

"Yeah, it does. It actually absorbs it. Like if a mage was blasting fire right at me, as long as I had my full suit of armor, I could just walk right through. Wouldn't even touch me."

"Wow, cool!" Sarael replied. "Hmm..." she continued, as a thought occurred to her. "Why don't we use that, too? I've heard that some demons and undead use magic, so it could be useful. Maybe we could do it in layers, like deepsilver on top to protect against blows, and void-iron underneath for magic... or would it have to be the other way around? Hmm...." she said, not so much talking to Ben as just thinking out loud.

"Sure - if she'll let you. She's usually alright with petting, but careful making friends with her. She can get pretty needy for attention sometimes."

"Aww, look at that innocent face. I'm sure she's a sweetheart!" she replied cheerily, reaching out —slowly, not wanting to scare the feline— with her now-bare fingers towards Jane, seeking to give the cat a friendly scratch behind the ears.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#39 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:33 PM

"Wow, cool!" Sarael replied. "Hmm..." she continued, as a thought occurred to her. "Why don't we use that, too? I've heard that some demons and undead use magic, so it could be useful. Maybe we could do it in layers, like deepsilver on top to protect against blows, and void-iron underneath for magic... or would it have to be the other way around? Hmm...." she said, not so much talking to Ben as just thinking out loud.

"Probably money and political reasons," Ben commented. He wasn't about to encourage her more than that, even as good of a point as she had... sort of.

"Aww, look at that innocent face. I'm sure she's a sweetheart!" she replied cheerily, reaching out —slowly, not wanting to scare the feline— with her now-bare fingers towards Jane, seeking to give the cat a friendly scratch behind the ears.

The cat gave her fingers a fairly long sniff before she put another paw forward and allowed Sarael the pleasure of scratching her fine fur. Jane even purred and flicked her tail briefly, leaning into the scratching, thus honoring the human with her approval.

"She likes you," Ben said with a smile. "She's pretty good about being unobtrusive, at least most of the time. She was in a saddlebag all the way up here, so she's calm when she wants to be. Loyal, too." Half-jokingly, he added, "Hope nobody around here is allergic to cats."

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#40 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:59 PM

((Thanks for waiting, Burgs! I'll be faster henceforth))

"Not at all," said the Inquisitor, motioning for her to take a seat. Shade briefly sniffed Mina's hand before he allowed her to scratch him behind the ears, his tongue lolling out happily when she did.

"Since when have Inquisitors had canine companions?"

"They generally don't. Usually Venatori are the ones with dogs," said Yaroslava. "I actually got Shade from a Venator. He was the monster hunter's way of saying 'thank you.' He was just a pup back then. He's such a sweetheart he even got along with that one's cats," she jabbed a thumb in Ben's direction as he sat in the opposite corner. "His name's Shade."

"Huh, I would have never guessed," Mina said, impressed.

She offered Mina a gauntleted hand to shake. "As for me, I'm Yaroslava Sturm, Ebonguard."

She was slightly reluctant to stop petting the happy dog, but she stood and cheerfully shook her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet the both of you. Lady Wilhelmina Tamaria, at your service. But you can call me Mina."

Just then, a heavily armored Templar that towered above Mina lumbered his way over, and he gestured at an empty chair. "Mind if I sit?"

"No, go ahead," replied Yaroslava. But she remarked dryly as she gestured toward the exceptionally tall and heavy Ben and Sarael, "Though it looks like all the other half-giants are in that corner."

Mina couldn't help smiling at the jab, especially since she practically felt like a dwarf around these other warriors. "You're more than welcome to join us, truly," Mina reassured the fellow Templar. 

"I'm Yaroslava Sturm," said the Ebonguard. "It looks like you Templars just love me today. Must be Shade," she scratched the dog's head as he went over to sit by her side again, disappointingly just out of Mina's reach.

"Maybe adorable companions should become standard issue for Inquisitors." Mina conjectured. "I'll see if we can't have the Templars do the same. Oh! Where are my manner," she started, turning to the fellow Knight Templar. "I'm Lady Tamaria. I don't believe we've been introduced before?"

-------

"I would like to know why as well," A Templar suddenly spoke, interjecting into the conversation with a grinning and viciously scarred face. "The only reason why I think you would come as well is because this Letom person might be a vampire or some sort of creature like that, if you'll pardon me saying so."

Hadrian's furrowed brow seemed to only furrow farther. "If you have any proof for that, please don't hesitate to pass it along." His voice dripped with sarcasm, though he hardly sounded amused by the wild theory. "I rather don't appreciate a hoity-toity Templar making a mockery of our work."

With that, Grey replied to the Templar Monk. "We're here the same reason you take a knife with you when you go to town. You don't know if you'll need it, but you want it if you do." Hadrian nodded. Smart answer. But the boy kept talking. "We don't know if he is, or if he has a army of monsters. But it's always good to have people there who are experts at that sort of thing." Grey shrugged.

The Monk shook her head. “That… couldn’t be possible, could it?” She replied to his comment about monster armies in particular. “I’ve never recorded demons and other monsters working together… well, besides vampires, of course.” She offered meekly.

"That's because it is impossible," Hadrian stated sternly. "And vampires don't exactly form militias. You could learn a little something from her, Grey, as you've clearly neglected some teachings from the Venatori."

"So tell me, girl, why did you decide to take this mission?” Hadrian spoke again, questioning the monk. “You seem far more scholarly in your disposition. No one would have blamed you for refusing to join, so why take the risk?"

The Monk Templar shifted a little in her seat. “I’m a chronicler.” She explained. “I’ve recorded the demises of many demons and their pawns, and have copies of the works of other chroniclers. I’ll be able to tell if we’ve faced this ‘Letom’ or his true master before… and if we haven’t, I’ll record how we defeat him.”

Hadrian nodded. Sensible enough. "Make sure you record the mistakes made on this hunt," he added. "Posterity learns nothing, otherwise."

“It’s… not unlike how you Venatori work, as far as I know.” She added. “Though you know all the monsters there are to fight already. Demons are… a broader matter.”

At this Hadrian burst out laughing. "Hardly. Any man who would know half of all the monsters in the world would be reduced to a gibbering madman. The hellions that already stalk this world are innumerable. You have your tomes and your faith to inform you of the ways of the Underworld. The little we learn is hard-earned through blood and sacrifice."

((Sorry I didn't respond much to what you were saying in that last part, Ghostly, I just couldn't figure out a way to balance between the conversation. Hadrian's just liable to rant like that. :P But really I won't do that again.))

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users