11 replies to this topic

#1 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

Found this on Eurobricks. Apparently these will be released around August.

There's more pictures in the EB thread, and a dealer catalog pic here.

My opinion? I'm thoroughly unimpressed. Blue-and-white good guys (with a lion motif again, of course) against black-and-red bad guys? Yawn. Saw that before in both Knights Kingdom lines.

The sets aren't anything to write home about either, they're the usual boilerplate for castle sets. In fact, I think they're pretty much beat-for-beat with the first Kingdoms wave. You've got an impulse set with one knight from each faction, a bad guy prison cart, a good guy tower with a bad guy catapult, a bad guy hideout (likely with a princess to rescue), and a good guy castle.

It's a shame, really. Lego was doing so well with the fantasy Castle line and Kingdoms, I have no idea what prompted them to decide to go back to safe, boring, and generic. The one bright spot is that the bad guys do look pretty cool. I can't tell if that's a dragon or a wolf on their shields - most likely a dragon, but I'm hoping it's a wolf.

#2 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

It appears to be a dragon. I'm kind of sad to see the old Lion heraldry return. I was really hoping for something along the lines of the Classics (Falcons, Dragons, Lions, Axes, Wolves, Woodsmen, etc...) with more than two factions. Honestly, too much black-and-white (heh...) going on with "Good Guys" and "Bad Guys". I really wish LEGO would adapt a more multi-faction stance that would appeal to more kids and help develop a bigger Kingdoms-universe that we can see really grow.

I want to get my hopes up for this line, but I just can't seem to get very excited for yet another Primary-White and Color-Black Kingdoms war again.

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#3 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Wow, I must have scrolled right past this when checking Eurobricks, thinking it was just some of the old sets. :lol: Quite disappointing. I was always hoping they'd expand their generic fantasy line with generic elves to go with the generic dwarves, but I guess with the LotR sets that won't happen now. A redux of some old factions like Wolfpack and Forestmen would be awesome though. This just feels uninspired.

The only thing that looks very interesting here is what appears to be possible new armor for the new horse design...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#4 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Seriously, that's way too similar.

Posted Image

And that's 13 years ago.

Orcs and Skeletons were cool, along with dwarves. If only they'd bring back the old dragon mold for the nostalgia feeling, but no... It's recycling. Or as others said earlier, multiple factions... that would be awesome, and add variety, so we wouldn't be restricted to the common locations. Forest hideout ? Cliff-side tower ? Things like that ...

#5 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Scorp almost hit the nail on the head: Lego simply won't try to compete with itself. That's why we seldom get really interesting Space lines when it's a big year for Star Wars, and it's why we won't get anything very appealing for Castle as long as Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are being released en masse. When Lego has a hot selling franchise on their hands, they aren't going to do ANYTHING that might negatively affect those sales. They can charge more per piece for the franchise sets, and the mark-up is often more than enough to offset the royalties they pay to the franchise owner, as well as the cost of new parts development (and they often end up using those parts for other things, if they aren't intrinsically tied to the franchise).

Basically we probably won't get a truly good Castle line again until after the Hobbit movies.

EDIT: Conversely, product lines that don't interfere directly with franchise lines tend to get a boost during these times. Check out Ninjago or Legends of Chima. Even the town stuff has been a bit neater than normal.

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#6 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

ToyFair was today! Here are the new Castle images: http://www.toyark.co...le-images-7242/

Yes, the red guys are dragon knights. No, there's still nothing terribly interesting aside from armor for the new horses. I think the goodguy knight has a new sword. The badguys are using the LotR type swords.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#7 Nevar

Nevar

This isn't good... is it?

• Banned
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

Wow, this new dragon is rubbish... They should have had the old dragon from Dragon Masters.

Also, I think instead of starting a new Castle theme, they should have continued Kingdoms by adding new factions (Forestmen, perhaps?).
"I have a message for my fans. Whatever you want to do in this world, it is achievable. The most important thing that I've found, that perhaps you could use, is be passionate and enthusiastic in the direction that you choose in life, and you'll be a winner."<br />
- Steve Irwin AKA "The Crocodile Hunter"<br />
<br />
"I wirr continue to create games as rong as I rive."<br />
- Hideo Kojima

#8 altair2173373

altair2173373

• 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

i agree, LEGO is starting to run out of good ideas for new sets and new LEGO lines

#9 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

I think it's less that they're running out of ideas and more that they're playing it safe and sticking with what they know will sell. Why do you think they keep renewing the Star Wars license even though they've made three or four remakes of everything from the films?

#10 Dimwik

Dimwik

That creepy kid staring at you

• 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

Too bad they killed off bionical, I was buying those sets until the end.

Ps. also lego needs to Euthanize star wars,

PPs. too bad they will suck every idea from the new movie ( #7 ) and pull yet another reboot of the sets
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like Grandpa. Not screaming in terror, like the other people in his car.

#11 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

If you think about it, though, it all makes sense. To kids today, this is new. LEGO's target group is kids, despite more and more appeal to their AFOL audiences recently. What kid doesn't want a castle with some good knights and some bad knights and a catapult? I still haven't ever gotten one, and while the Kingdoms one was more appealing, this set doesn't look impossibly horrible. Same deal with Star Wars. My friend and I were discussing all of the new licenses that we used to think Lego would never make (LotR, Marvel) but wished they would, and the fact that one top of those, they're re-releasing sets from our favorite SW episode Lego-wise. Since we didn't get many Episode 2 sets the first time around, we're a bit clueless as to what in the world to get.

I'd say Lego's just doing their job, and rather well.

#12 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Member
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Eh, I think some of the 2013 Castle stuff will work well with some of the crownies to be quite honest. While I won't say that I'm not going to drop money into this, I will say that I am not too impressed with this series of castle. However I must admit that another female dress (and most likely a new female face :) ) is always welcomed.
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users