• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:14 PM

Let's show our appreciation for the Deltora Quest books and Emily Rodda in general. They are my all-time favorite books. I'm even an administrator on the Deltora Quest Wiki. Also, the third series has flippin' dragons.
82711.jpg
Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#2 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:46 AM

I only got to read these books at a house I was babysitting at years and years ago. After my charges had gone to sleep I'd stay up reading until their parents got home. I managed to get through most of the first series but then I forgot about them. I should really go back and finish that series...

It was enjoyable, I liked the world's setup and it was a nice enjoyable series to read. I love all fantasy books and I find that many writers really explore how far fantasy books can go with children's series which is really nice to see. Especially when everyone else seems to want to copy A Song of Ice and Fire and have as much nitty-gritty details as possible.

If you like dragons I HIGHLY recommend Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede (Enchanted Forest is the name of the series). Absolutely fantastic book.

Posted Image

#3 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:34 PM

Didn't really read the books to much.

But apparently, there's an Anime and Manga series based off of them, so...

#4 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, the manga and anime. The manga doesn't follow the books very well and adds all kinds of unnecessary stuff. The anime however, follows them pretty faithfully, omitting some things, and adding a bunch of filler episodes. The books are the better versions obviously. The character designs in the anime and manga are also not that good, with Lief going from dark brown to stereotypical blonde hero hair, Jasmine going from dark brown/black to dark green (I mean what?) and Barda looking kind of liek how I pictured him actually :)

Also there's a sorceress/witch called Thaegan. She is killed in the second book, but in the anime they keep bringing her back. It's kind of cheap and gets really old quickly :/

I loved the books because of the sense that you were on a journey with the characters, in their makeshift family. The characters are also very clearly portrayed, each with their own unqiue personality, and are mostly all memorable. The setting is also really cool and diverse, with bunch of very, very creative and original monsters and creatures. It gets really atmospheric too, and really creepy, especially for younger children reading the books. More creepy than most things normally exposed to 10+ year olds.

And while each book is kind of simply written, the author manages to weave a world and overall arc and universe that seems to be pretty complex, but without being hard to understand. I fricken love DQ!

Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users