Photo

The Witcher 3: Many great and weighty events

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

Poll: THE QUESTION

Which witch?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,316 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

New gameplay from IGN, some moseying around in Novigrad this time:

It looks a-bloody-mazing. Geralt's hair bobs beautifully with his horse's every step, there are quests EVERYWHERE, and it looks so Witcher-y. It's the next-gen Vizima we always dreamed of when we were sprinting around that city in Witcher 1. You can walk through doorways without a black screen and a camera loop! This is apparently captured from the Xbox One version, so no doubt the other versions will be even gorgeous-erer. Geralt's face.

AAAAAND, continuing that quest from IGN, Gamespot has a little bit more footage and a lot of talking from the devs:

We're looking for Ciri (in a swamp full of Drowners, just so you know this is a Witcher game). There's a little bit of talkin', little bit of walkin', and a bunch of fighting later on that looks like a whole lot of fun. Geralt's new hotfootin' quicksteps remind me of the final bossfight in MGS4.

Finally, here's that Griffin Hunt demo from the Microsoft show, just in case you might want to see it again:

#42 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Member
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:00 PM

Why is 2015 so far away?  :( I can't wait for this game to come out. I'm hoping it won't let me down at all.

#43 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

So apparently a bunch of design docs for the Witcher 3 got leaked, containing spoilers and stuff. Including possible ending choices. I'm not going to post any of that stuff here, of course, but there is literally an entire document dedicated to just the rendering of Geralt's hair, and since Ocelot loved his hair so much I thought he'd enjoy this:

gmNnEsJ.jpg

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#44 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

New gameplay demo out of Gamescom:

It's a walkthrough of a little side mission, and it gives a nice look at the combat and some menu and inventory stuff. I think it's probably the Xbox One version, judging by the button prompts, and there's a weird stutter every half-second or so which I think is probably just a video encoding problem, but it still looks amazing. Watching Geralt running through a very Witcher-1-reminiscent swamp and nimbly leaping over obstacles is like a dream come true.

I love that gameplay Igni finally looks like cutscene Igni, too:

oXv7dq.gif

#45 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Ciri cosplay tips.

Okay she looks pretty kawaii cute, scar and all.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#46 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Ciri cosplay tips.

Okay she looks pretty kawaii cute, scar and all.

Hey dere, Ciri

khOdg.gif

That reminds me that I have to get back to reading those Witcher books to learn what Ciri's all about. So far I know she's a princess and she's bound to Geralt through the Law of Surprise (and fate and destiny and stuff), but apparently she's also a Witcher and a Sorceress and can teleport to different dimensions and stuff?

#47 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hey dere, Ciri

khOdg.gif

That reminds me that I have to get back to reading those Witcher books to learn what Ciri's all about. So far I know she's a princess and she's bound to Geralt through the Law of Surprise (and fate and destiny and stuff), but apparently she's also a Witcher and a Sorceress and can teleport to different dimensions and stuff?

Technically not a WItcher. She has the training, but never took the Trial of the Grasses, since no one knows how to do it, and girls can't become Witchers anyway. And yes, she's a Sorceress and a Source. Basically the result of an elven eugenics program that turns the descendants of a famous elf into massive sources of magic.

Oh, and pretty much everyone wants her since her children are destined to save the world from the coming Ice Age. Alvin maaaay or may not have been one of them.

Edited by Rickard the Bearded, 13 August 2014 - 12:46 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#48 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

Do other games publish these cosplay guide things, or just RPG's? TW3 also did this weird cosplay promo video.

Welp, that new gameplay video was pretty cool, but it had a nearly-hairless werewolf being easily defeated. Chances of my sister playing this game just dropped to nil. :\

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#49 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#50 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

GRR I WAS JUST POSTING THAT

I'm only six minutes in to the video but it looks amazing so far. Much has been said about Geralt's wonderful, grizzled mug in Witcher 2, and his new face is a bit of an adjustment but I think I like it. I'd like to see some different armour designs, because so far the big chain mail pads and the beard have lent ol' Gwynnbleidd an air of chubbiness. Or at least a certain Marvel-Chris-esque brawn, which, much as I love it, doesn't feel right on a Witcher. Well, on Geralt, let's say (because I will accept no Letho downgrades :P). No doubt he'll still be the same wiry knot of scar tissue we know and love in his inevitable shirtless scenes, though.

I've been ploughing through Blood of Elves, btw, and I'm really looking forward to hearing Yennefer's voice in Witcher 3. There's this magnificent bit in the book where Geralt makes the mistake of beginning a letter to Yen with 'Dear friend' and she just tears into him, and it honestly might have single-handedly changed my allegiance to #TeamLilacAndGooseberries. Sorry, Triss.

#51 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

Here's the opening cinematic of The Witcher 3:

Yennefer's a beast, and Geralt looks so good with a beard. Even Vesemir looks pretty sprightly, and I love the music. It looks like the main quest of the game (at least the start of it) will be tracking down ol' Yen, then (they said she was in Nilfgaard in Witcher 2, right?), so hopefully it won't take too long to find her.

I'm up to The Swallow's Tower in the books, and I find it pretty crazy that the games have focused so heavily on Geralt all this time. I don't think you could even really call him the main character of the books. They're more about Ciri than anyone else, and it feels like Yennefer gets as much screentime as Geralt does anyway.

#52 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

Maybe the reason we've been playing as Geralt this whole time is because sorceresses are so OP. I'm guessing Yen is a few levels above Triss. She blasted a hole in an army and didn't even seem to get a nosebleed. I'm still on Team Triss though, as I voted in the poll I just added about the question everyone is really wondering. :P

A game where we play as Ciri might be pretty cool though...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#53 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:54 AM

Maybe the reason we've been playing as Geralt this whole time is because sorceresses are so OP. I'm guessing Yen is a few levels above Triss. She blasted a hole in an army and didn't even seem to get a nosebleed. I'm still on Team Triss though, as I voted in the poll I just added about the question everyone is really wondering. :P

A game where we play as Ciri might be pretty cool though...

Yennefer is pretty much everything Triss wants to be. She spent the entire first game basically trying to emulate her.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#54 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

Yeah, sorcerers and -esses in the Witcher universe seem like pretty serious business. I loved the bit in one of the earlier books where Geralt squares off against Vilgefortz, one of the Big Bad Sorcerers, and the second line of the fight scene is basically, "Later that month, while Geralt healed from his several horrifically broken limbs in Brokilon, he reflected that his only mistake had been not running away before the fight even began" :P

I have to abstain from voting until I hear Yennefer's voice. Triss and I've had so many good times, from bickering over this weird kid we found outside Vizima to following her into that weird time-displaced battle outside Vergen, and I don't want to just kick the poor girl to the curb. However, Yennefer's so delightfully venomous in the books, just such a borderline-terrifying viper of a woman that I feel like I have to see what she's all about in the game. Imagine if they got... *wistful sigh* Jennifer Hale to voice her...

#55 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, if the game makes Geralt side with one or the other for any reason, and you pick Triss, Yennefer might just destroy you. Instant game over screen. :P

Back when I tried to read the books, the only ones available in English were the Last Wish and Blood of Elves (which I read, but I've mostly forgotten). It looks like there are more now. I'll have to check them out...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#56 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire just came out in English in the last year or so, but you have to delve into the questionably-legal world of fan translations to read the full series. I'm up to the fan translation of The Swallow's Tower now, which is the one that comes after Baptism of Fire, and it's totally readable if you can lower your standards for grammatical errors and typos. It's really weird that whichever publisher it is isn't capitalizing on the popularity of the games to get those official translations out. I'm sure they'd sell, especially if they timed them with the release of the games to catch the wave of Witcher Fever. They aren't even translating them in order, which is the strangest thing; they skipped Sword of Destiny, which is probably the most important one because it establishes Ciri and Geralt's whole relationship  :rolleyes:

Gawrsh, I never thought about what'd happen if Geralt had a bad breakup with a sorceress. A sword with a couple of runes on it won't help you against a scorned lady who can summon meteors at will :P

#57 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

I honestly can't imagine Geralt with anyone other than Yennefer. They're just too perfect for each other.

And Yenn naturally wears the pants in the relationship.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#58 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:50 AM

ah ha ha oh wow

nice going origin

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#59 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,316 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:48 AM

New trailer from the Game Awards:

It seems like the graphics might have taken a bit of a hit since the earlier trailers, but maybe that's just Youtube's crumminess filter hiding all the next-gen-ness. We see a bit more of Ciri and Yennefer, and hear Yen's gloriously syrupy voice. She only has one line, but I like what I'm hearing so far. When it comes to Yennefer I'm looking for some genuine malice and vindictiveness, which can't really be conveyed in one expository line.

The CDPR dude at the show also mentioned that we won't just be playing as Geralt. He didn't name names, but he did say that the other playable character is featured in this trailer so the safe money's on Ciri. No word on whether whoever it is will actually have any significant play time, though (remember you play as Roche, Henselt and a few other people in Witcher 2 for brief sequences).

#60 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

The other playable character better be Ciri. I'm just wondering about that other Witcher dude at the end. Anyone recognize him? If the other playable character is some random Witcher and not Ciri or somebody actually important (or at least previously introduced), I'mma be pissed. But yeah, it should be Ciri.

I'm liking the King of the Wild Hunt supervillain. The huge armored skull-faced dude is a total cliché (basically a fantasy Darth Vader, like Sarevok or Arthas, or movie Sauron/Witch-King), but this guy pulls it off. Mostly thanks to the voice. It's like they took note that all those other badguys have deep voices and went WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users