Photo

Let's Play! (Or watch video games on Youtube)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

In this topic we discuss "Let's Play" videos, videos uploaded to Youtube of a video game being played, and usually accompanied by humorous commentary.

Have any Let's Players that you like to watch? Are you yourself a Let's Player? Any and all discussions about Let's Play videos go here.

OK, intro's out of the way, time for my shameless plug.

I and a friend of mine have been doing various Let's Plays on and off for the past 2 years or so, if you're interested in that sort of thing, check out my channel!

Our first series we did Terraria, with our horrible audio problems, and my obsessive need to put minecart tracks everywhere.

Spoiler

We did a brief Don't Starve Together series, which lasted two sessions before we quit.

Spoiler

And we just finished up our Starbound series last week.

Spoiler

Where could we possibly go from there? Obviously the most logical leap, is to ARK Survival Evolved, and our new series just launched today!

Spoiler

New episodes come out every weekday between 1 and 5 pm Eastern Time

If that sort of thing floats your boat, feel free to check 'em out!

#2 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

I'm a big fan of the Achievement Hunter Let's Plays, and have considered starting some myself many times in the past.

A buddy of mine just got into streaming and making some videos, and I have featured in both on a couple of times. I really like both so I might start getting into it myself.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#3 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

I'm a big fan of the Achievement Hunter Let's Plays, and have considered starting some myself many times in the past.

A buddy of mine just got into streaming and making some videos, and I have featured in both on a couple of times. I really like both so I might start getting into it myself.

You can do a let's play of me crushing you mercilessly in Pokemon. :D

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#4 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

Pronounced Jo-siv-ah Flh-call. He is a ninja. 0.0

• Nova Member
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:04 AM

I just started playing Starbound for the first time this week. I like it so far, I may have to check out your vids.

serenitysig.png

Click the Picture, you know you want to ;)

#5 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

I've always wanted to get into doing Let's Plays, because they're so ridiculously popular on YouTube, and I could use my female nerd status to acquire currency (plus it'd give me a ranting platform).

Unfortunately, the best and easiest way to do it is to just livestream, and both of the internet connections I have access to for gaming purposes suck eggs so it's completely impossible to stream on them. <_<

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#6 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I always found LPs to be kinda boring. My line of thinking was always "Why would I watch someone play a game when I can do that myself?"

I dunno. :P Most of the LPs I watched were the people in the commentary just screaming profanities or laughing at the most mundane crap. Or constantly screaming "What is this!?!?!?" Which is what most of Game Grump's LPs consist of if you wanna get specific. They're like the Jimmy Fallon LP's.

The only LP I've enjoyed so far and am about 10 hours into is PlagueOfGripes' 40-part Dark Souls LP where he's talking about the game and seriously role-playing within the world of the game. Yeah, Plague is silly, but he's actually engaging and isn't screaming or laughing constantly. Plus he gives insight to Dark Souls' lore and explains stuff within its lore, which is awesome considering how vague that game is with everything.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#7 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:09 AM

I've always wanted to get into doing Let's Plays, because they're so ridiculously popular on YouTube, and I could use my female nerd status to acquire currency (plus it'd give me a ranting platform).

I like your thought process Wolfy. If you ever need a goofy guest star to appear in your videos, you know where to find me. 

#8 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

I'm in the same boat as Mikey here, I don't really watch LPs unless I'm looking for a very specific part in a game I've already played, or if I'm just trying to get a quick glance of what the gameplay is like. Usually I prefer them without commentary, like, the other day I wanted to see what the space shooting segment in CoD: Ghosts was like (which had a great level of detail, even if I knew the game was linear as all hell.) But that doesn't mean I don't like to watch Youtubers play games, however, I prefer short comedic videos on older games or really poorly designed games, and I'm pretty entry level when it comes to those, like Jontron and Videogamedunkey. But if it's a game I'd really want to play, I'm gonna go play that mess.

xgd0s9.jpg

#9 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

I've noticed that in order for me to actual enjoy LPs, the people playing need to have both comedic chops and actual skill. Ster_ and Jerma are a good fit when they actually upload stuff, I'm sure there are others that I just haven't found yet. TheSw1tcher is about the only more traditional LP channel I still occasionally watch, mainly because seeing them suffer through dredge like Omikron has a great 'train wreck in slow motion' quality to it. 

I would say that retsupurae is the best LP channel, but they're not quiiiiite LPs. ChipCheezum and Ironicus also do some good stuff in that general genre, but I generally think of that more as Commentary/Riffing than traditional Lets Playing. 

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#10 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

I watch Markiplier play Five Nights at Freddy's as a guilty pleasure, and when I'm desperate for content, I'll watch Game Grumps. I enjoy the Co-Optional Podcast, where they talk ABOUT games, rather than play them. That's really it. Like Mikey, if I'm interested in any way in a game, I'd rather just play it. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#11 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

In all seriousness, much like Ryoma I occasionally Markiplier (I find Five Nights at Freddy's fascinating but I'm too scared to watch it myself) and Game Grumps. I used to love Game Grumps when it was Arin and Jontron, especially when they legitimately got mad at each other during Kirby. The two are both great for let's plays because Arin can provide voices for all the characters and Jontron was so energetic that it was great seeing him get on Arin's nerves. Then Jontron left to be replaced by Dan, who I actually like when he is not playing the game (watching him try to understand Paper Mario, a really simple game, is painful). And don't get me started on Ross and Barry. Ross is clearly trying too hard to be funny live and failing miserably, whereas Barry has the charisma of sandpaper. 

But mostly, let's plays for me are something I just watch while doing something else like eating lunch or grinding in Pokemon. 

#12 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

I literally cannot watch Let's Plays if the people playing are bad. I attempted to watch the Game Grumps play Star Wars Rogue Squadron, one of my big favorites from ye olde days.

I nearly shot myself. Repeatedly.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#13 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

I literally cannot watch Let's Plays if the people playing are bad.

I don't watch Let's Plays, anyway, but this video did circulate the Uncharted fandom shortly before I left it forever that made me totally feel for you. This guy did a Let's Play of the final fight in Uncharted 2 on Crushing and, before it began, bragged about how fast he could defeat the final boss on the hardest difficulty.

It took him over 10 minutes and he repeatedly took so damage and died twice. I would've gotten second-hand embarrassment if he hadn't sucked so mercilessly. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#14 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,209 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

Unfortunately, the best and easiest way to do it is to just livestream, and both of the internet connections I have access to for gaming purposes suck eggs so it's completely impossible to stream on them. <_<

Legit question - you've always complained about bad internet.  It's 2016.  Is there seriously nothing that can be done?  Are you guys really so out in the boonies that you're stuck with super slow internet?

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#15 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Legit question - you've always complained about bad internet.  It's 2016.  Is there seriously nothing that can be done?  Are you guys really so out in the boonies that you're stuck with super slow internet?

Welcome to my life.

My home has point to point wireless that is terrible, ridiculously slow, goes down all the time, lags like hell, takes ages to upload or download, is extremely limited with fees that are highway robbery, and it goes down all the time (especially during a storm). It's the best internet we've ever had here, though.

The other location is in the middle of a big college town, one of the biggest colleges on the East coast. I can get about 7 MB/s download on a good day (the upload is terrible, though), if I cross my fingers just right. It also goes down all the time, and it's still pretty limited, but the fees and limits aren't quite as bad.

EDIT: Elaborated some 8D

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#16 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,209 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Welcome to my life.

My home has point to point wireless that is terrible. It's the best internet we've ever had here, though.

The other location is in the middle of a big college town, one of the biggest colleges on the East coast. I can get about 7 MB/s on a good day, if I cross my fingers just right.

That's awful.

Google oughta fiber that shiiiiiii-tuff.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#17 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

That's awful.

Google oughta fiber that shiiiiiii-tuff.

Funny thing is, there's a huge Microsoft datacenter just down the road, and there's fiber running literally just down the street I live on, but that's only available to the local school.

There's other stuff out here, so it's certainly not impossible, but it's not open for people like us to use.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#18 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

I don't think that I am as "out in the boonies" as Wolfy, but I have had similar problems on my end. We have Charter, and while it works okay, I would strongly consider any competitor in our area. The problem is that there are none, at least none worth considering. Cable companies in our area essentially have monopolies over different towns. 

I literally cannot watch Let's Plays if the people playing are bad. I attempted to watch the Game Grumps play Star Wars Rogue Squadron, one of my big favorites from ye olde days.

I nearly shot myself. Repeatedly.

They often make the argument that its not funny if they have practiced a game beforehand and knew what they were doing. In some cases, that is true. My favorite Game Grumps episodes come from Sonic '06 (a.k.a. the worst Sonic game), and it would not have been nearly as funny if they knew what was coming. On the other hand, they suck at games, especially anything relatively new, and I think that they should maybe do a little practicing or use a walkthrough for certain things. Dan in particular seems to struggle with any game that isn't a simple platformer. Seriously, Paper Mario is not complicated, and has a long and thorough tutorial. 

One guy I forgot to mention is Maximillian, who plays a lot of fighting games. I like watching fighting games but can't play them, but Max has always done a good job of providing tutorials (his assist me series) and uploading fun videos online. He always says that he is bad at fighting games right before nailing a perfect combo. The guy is a natural. 

#19 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

One guy I forgot to mention is Maximillian, who plays a lot of fighting games. I like watching fighting games but can't play them, but Max has always done a good job of providing tutorials (his assist me series) and uploading fun videos online. He always says that he is bad at fighting games right before nailing a perfect combo. The guy is a natural. 

Ah, yes the man of hype and doods. I do enjoy watching him playing a variety of games along with his dog Benny, Luna and then having JJ randomnly stepping in at time on Twitch. Saturdays become ridiculous as the YoVideoGames group gathers together :D

What if Rise Had an RTS Game Based Off It for its many factions? Ideas Here:
Rise and Conquer: Compiled
Check out my Youtube channel for occasional casts and voice clips.

#20 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,209 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:42 AM

I don't think that I am as "out in the boonies" as Wolfy, but I have had similar problems on my end. We have Charter, and while it works okay, I would strongly consider any competitor in our area. The problem is that there are none, at least none worth considering. Cable companies in our area essentially have monopolies over different towns. 

Same here.  We're covered by Comcast.  It's terrible.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users