• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:38 AM

MAGNUUUUUUSUUUSUSUSSS THOUASDNSDANSDSONJSONSONSN S SAHIAKL:AJSDGK:JAASL:NHAKNAGKLNAG

ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST ALL IS DUST.

I mean, all of this was "leaked" last November, but I'm so excited to see the real product. I can't wait to get a proper look at plastic Magnus and the Rubric Marines, and of course, THE GLORIOUS DAUGHTERS OF THE EMPEROR, THE ADEPTA SORORITAS.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#22 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:48 AM

I wish the Rubric Marines and Sororitas going plastic would mean they're less outrageously priced. Somehow it'll still be cheaper buying the original metal figures.

Save for the Rubric Marines which are that gross hybrid kit and the end result literally just looks like an okay kitbash. I'm pretty happy to see them properly done.

nY1rpGl.gif

#23 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

Uh, what? You don't understand how expensive pewter is, do you?

As far as the new Rubric Marines go, I'm just hoping they have more throwbacks to the 30k Thousand Sons in terms of design. But aye, it should be fun. When it comes to the new Sisters of Battle, they've said last year that they wanted to drop the boobplate in favour of practical, gothic-esque armour that was still recognisable as the Sisters of Battle. So I assume they'll be retaining the larger part of the design whilst redesigning the torso and legs.
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#24 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

Uh, what? You don't understand how expensive pewter is, do you?

Evidently you don't. 3-4 years back they were $12 for 3, then it jumped up to $16, then they made that full squad a few years ago and I remember it retailing for $47 odd. Pig Iron miniatures meanwhile, who use pewter like it's going out of style, have stayed at the exact same price since they started. Actually literally every miniature manufacturer using pewter hasn't seen a price change during the exact same time period. Hasslefree's stuff got cheaper, even. So no, it's not the cost of pewter it's just the usual GW business ploy (Which amps up to 11 when it comes to almost OOP models.

But if it's $29 or even $35 for 10 Sisters color me happy. I strictly only play Kill Teams so I'll only need a box or two anyways, and the cheapest alternative is kitbashing bolters with Dreamforge infantry which would run for roughly the same price.

nY1rpGl.gif

#25 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Evidently you don't. 3-4 years back they were $12 for 3, then it jumped up to $16, then they made that full squad a few years ago and I remember it retailing for $47 odd. Pig Iron miniatures meanwhile, who use pewter like it's going out of style, have stayed at the exact same price since they started. Actually literally every miniature manufacturer using pewter hasn't seen a price change during the exact same time period. Hasslefree's stuff got cheaper, even. So no, it's not the cost of pewter it's just the usual GW business ploy (Which amps up to 11 when it comes to almost OOP models.

But if it's $29 or even $35 for 10 Sisters color me happy. I strictly only play Kill Teams so I'll only need a box or two anyways, and the cheapest alternative is kitbashing bolters with Dreamforge infantry which would run for roughly the same price.

Wait for the Start Collecting boxes :D

What if Rise Had an RTS Game Based Off It for its many factions? Ideas Here:
Rise and Conquer: Compiled
Check out my Youtube channel for occasional casts and voice clips.

#26 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Pig Iron don't actually use pewter; they use a pewter composite (I can't remember what it's mixed with, but it's less than 1/3rd pewter), hence the low price. It doesn't help that Geedub have moved away from moulding in pewter entirely on account of how much it was costing them. Heck, even the upcoming Made to Order scheme will be using the same resin as the finecast range as opposed to pewter on account of the cost. As far as the pewter SoBs go now it's a case of clearing old stock; although I haven't heard of anyone purchasing them at that price like, ever.

But yeah, nobody is using pure pewter anymore; Pig Iron got called out on it big time last year. Quite a few in our FLGS stopped buying from them out of protest, iirc.

#27 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

So we now have a better image on what that Burning of Prospero set is going to provide:

1476431935741.jpg

Stand-in Sisters of Battle using Sisters of Silence until the plastics arrive? :P

#28 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

More likely to tie in with Forge World's resin Sisters of Battle when Inferno launches; similar situation with the Custodes as well.

That said, that's actually a bargain of a box set; thirty plastic Mark III Legiones Astartes? Like, I shelled out for Betrayal at Calth hesitantly, but I'll gladly buy the box set three times over for that alone. Anyhow, here's the trailer.

I'm keen to see what the transfer sheets are like for the Thousand Sons; I'm hoping they'll aim to cover as many of the cults as possible. I want my Corvidae. :c

Oh, and with regards to what stockists are getting, seems to be the following; massive posters, leaflets, a minibook with extracts from A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, tokens, dice, lanyards and Thousand Sons/Space Wolves themed mousemats.

#29 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

Sprues have been leaked; pictures aren't the greatest, nor is it everything, but there's a good chunk here.

Spoiler

#30 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

I'm not a big Warhammer guy, but are those Sprue guys...Space Knights?

I'm okay with this.

#31 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

I'm not a big Warhammer guy, but are those Sprue guys...Space Knights?

I'm okay with this.

It's 40k, sci-fi fantasy so there's obviously going to be nights. That's what makes Warhmmaer 30-40k so unique :D

Also now people can make almost Sister of Battles because I see bolters!

#32 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

I was following that Oct 15th leak with the non-Cadian Guardsmen making a resurgence and was totally bummed it was just them cleaning OOP models off their shelves. I was so ready for some plastic or even failcast remakes.

But hey, at least Sly Marbo's back.

nY1rpGl.gif

#33 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

#34 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:35 PM

LmntV5r.jpg

kP830fb.jpg

Pre-ordered by copy of Prospero today, and I may be exchanging my Sisters of Silence for some additional Tactical Marines. <3

#35 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

Gee dubya's thing for individual boob armor is still dumb but I'd totally run a Sisters of Silence kill team.

nY1rpGl.gif

#36 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

It's finally here!

Buy it online here; and whilst you're at it, check out the rules for using the Sisters of Silence and Adeptus Custodes in 40k.

#37 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

I've always been interested in playing 40k; a couple of my uncles used to play both 40k and Fantasy competitively and enter in paintjob contests and the such. As a kid I'd ogle their models and armies for hours.

But it turns out that having a severe cocaine addiction is not only arguably just as fun, but even more financially sustainable than buying, painting and playing with Warhammer models of either flavour. Where does the money for this kind of hobby come from?

P.s. I don't actually have a severe cocaine addiction. Just a mild one.

#38 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:10 PM

I've always been interested in playing 40k; a couple of my uncles used to play both 40k and Fantasy competitively and enter in paintjob contests and the such. As a kid I'd ogle their models and armies for hours.

But it turns out that having a severe cocaine addiction is not only arguably just as fun, but even more financially sustainable than buying, painting and playing with Warhammer models of either flavour. Where does the money for this kind of hobby come from?

P.s. I don't actually have a severe cocaine addiction. Just a mild one.

I got my army back in middle-school by splitting two starter kits with two friends and getting only one or two other kits directly from the store (Also I'm not very old but it was significantly cheaper back then. Literally spent $60 for like, 40 Ork Boyz, 6 Deffkoptas, 10 Nobz, and 2 Warbosses). Most people get their stuff online (Stores like The War Store and Miniature Market offer their stuff with a 20% discount) or use eBay (Often for minis that are already built and badly painted but it's not too hard to scrub paint of these guys) or even just go to garage sales and end up with stuff.

I think the real daunting killer is how much you have to spend before you even start getting models because GW is a snake-oil salesman when it comes to business practice. If you wanna start, here's how you do it for way less (And with significantly better brushes/paints/modeling tools. Seriously, only ever get models from GW and even then only if you can't get them cheaper somewhere else online).

1. For the 40k rulebook and the army codex you want, Google is your friend. And so are the Russians.

2. Pickup a brush set from Army Painter

3. Use Vallejo paints (Cheaper, more bang for your buck, work just as well if not better)

4. Use Gorilla Glue for everything. GW's plastic/metal glue stuff is BS, everyone I know just used P3 super glue or Gorilla glue for plastic and metal and their models never fell apart. I personally found Gorilla Glue to be better than P3, plus it's easier to find and cheaper

If you have a non GW store to play at, there are hordes and hordes of alternate 28mm heroic-scale miniatures you can use (GW owned stores don't let people play if they use alternate miniatures) that fit the setting outright or you can pick-up loose weapon sprues off of eBay and just tweak them. I promise it doesn't look silly like proxying an entire army, some of the best models I've seen were either kitbashed or just alternate figures re-painted and repurposed for 40k, and they are ridiculously cheaper. Often you can google things like "Alternate Space Marine miniatures" or what have you and 9 times out of 10 a dakkadakka thread will come up full of pages of alternate figures.

Edited by The Captain, 28 October 2016 - 02:33 PM.

nY1rpGl.gif

#39 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

Where does the money for this kind of hobby come from?

Simple. Make gradual purchases or make a large purchase and don't buy anything else until you complete all that stuff. Impulse buying is what will get you over-time. Know what you want and control spending like one would do in most things. $400 is quite a bit unless you're spending that every single month, you should have more than enough from any typical job to make a few purchases every few months.

I know Warhammer is expensive, but so are hobbies like computer-building and video gaming and unlike certain non-productive related activities, they don't disappear after you're done using them. Furthermore the time you spend in the modelling, detailing, painting and playing will generally make up for that cost in terms of enjoyment or achievement. I've only halted my 40k stuff because I'm so busy and I keep procrastinating.

Ah, I wish I had a large enough table to accommodate my computer and miniatures. Just be watching streams while painting.

Things to do if you're starting nowadays in terms of the models themselves since the Captain covered the basics:

1. Start Collecting Boxes. You generally get a free unit in these boxes and many of these contain the core essentials to any army.

2. Discount Retailers.

3. Split large purchases. GW's been recently releasing those large box sets, often with two armies. Want one half but not another? Try to split it or sell off the stuff you don't need.

3a. Try to pick up the rules from said box set if it comes with any.

4. Kit-Bash stuff. Sure there are plenty of online retailers, but nowadays you get so many bits and leftovers that often if you buy something like a basic unit, you can often modify them to be the elites/special troops. (SM are probably the simplest for this)

5. Sales at said discount retailers. Furthermore some events, like Gottacon that I used to go to while I studied in Victoria will bring their prices down when the event is nearing the end. Great time to pick up things you wanted. It's where I got my 20+ Raptors from.

#40 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users