#1 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

Wow, we don't have one of these?

tumblr_n6wf1by0uY1qirsuqo1_r1_500.gif

Anyways, wargaming is pretty popular over in the UK; with a large share of the market being taken up by, you guessed it, Games Workshop. Up until the financial recession hit us in 2008 they dominated the market, and smaller competitors were just that; small. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on what you play) that's changed since then. We've seen new IPs explode onto the scene in the form of Warmachine and Tanks, as well as licensed IPs such as Halo: Fleet Battles and Ground Command begin to edge in on Geedub's territory.

In response, they've rebranded themselves; Games Workshop stores are now rebranding to (or already have) 'Warhammer' stores, the Age of Sigmar line has proven to be incredibly successful following the botched launch last year and they've recognised the need to return to the social media scene; where, at present, they communicate with the fans relatively well, seeking out feedback for FAQs and codices, as well as taking critique on the fiction. It's going alright at the moment; it probably helps that we've got a new CEO who's been with the company for over a decade, is a player himself and strongly believes in giving the IPs some fresh direction.

Anyhow, I guess I'm curious to see who else is floating about; I personally play Age of Sigmar, Age of Darkness (30k) and Fleet Battles; although I know a group of us at my FLGS are looking at getting together for Ground Command games.

On a personal modelling front, hell, I'm busy at the moment; I entered ETL V over on Bolter & Chainsword by pledging myself to the glory of Lorgar, and I've just started a new Age of Sigmar army (Slaves to Darkness and Tzeentch). As far as the former goes, I've primed my vow but haven't made much progress due to the extreme heat recently.

As for the latter, well, I just purchased x24 Kairoc Acolytes and an Ogroid Thaumaturge for the glory of Tzeentch.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#2 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:40 PM

We had this ages ago, but that thread eventually was consumed by the Warp due to inactivity, though it's still somewhere back there :P

I want to play 40k again, and play the models, but my motivation has kind of dipped due to video games, work, writing, and procrastination in general.

Got full armies of Guard, Necrons, and Chaos Space Marines standing-by for the day I return.

What if Rise Had an RTS Game Based Off It for its many factions? Ideas Here:
Rise and Conquer: Compiled
Check out my Youtube channel for occasional casts and voice clips.

#3 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

My brothers and I used to dabble in 40k to a degree, though we never quite fully assembled and painted a full army.

Currently we're mostly dabbling in more third-party wargames. Captain keeps trying to get us to do Grunts (one of those exceptionally rare 8mm scale games :P ) while we generally play Infinity, Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game (...I think that's the full title, anyway. Aged Games Workshop stuff right there), and some BrikWars (because Legoooo) every now and then.

Infinity's definitely a favorite of ours, though, and in general it's a pretty sweet, generally small-scale sci-fi game. A game with less then ten miniatures per side can easily last a half-hour or hour, thanks to the general survivability of most units, the occasional need to check rules, and the fact that all characters can react to most actions regardless of whose turn it is, which is an interesting twist on things. Essentially, every figure on the board is constantly on overwatch.

It's more fun than it sounds, especially when you take two overpowered figures and send them gunning through a horde of low-point figures 80's action movie-style.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#4 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

Have you guys seen the 40k audiobooks which has popped up on YouTube? Have any of you ever listened to any of the audiobooks by the way, and are any of them good? What about the books themselves?

Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#5 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

I can't speak for the audiobooks, however the books themselves are generally pretty good (although due to the large volume of authors they tend to vary from author to author). I recently finished Legion by Dan Abnett, which follows the Alpha Legion and the Geno Five-Two Chiliad prior to the outbreak of the Horus Heresy. It's easily one of the best novels he's ever written.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#6 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

I used to play 40K but the ever-changing rules and sheer wall of price were serious turnoffs.

I do have a full force of Rohirrim for LotR Strategy Battle Game which became my goto. I'll post the pics of my guys later.

Right now my main bread-and-butter (other than crazy side games of mix and match) is Infinity the Game by Corvus Belli. Fantastic minis, the rules are so great. It's more complex but it feels so nice to react to the opponent instead of the static gameplay that 40K and Fantasy tend to collapse into. LotRSBG suffers from it slightly but the alternating phases helps keep it interesting at the very least.

Granted the new Overwatch rules introduced in 40K feel like they are finally trying to balance some things out.

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#7 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

You like Overwatch, eh Commando?

5201138+_d7896f266db62d705305808e1669eb0

In all seriousness, the new Deathwatch codex is part of the run-up to Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar-esque story progression for 40k. We'll soon be seeing Eldrad and the Eldar making a play for one of their last remaining gods, Ahriman's success at reversing the rubric (on one marine, mind you) and his race against Magnus to reach the Black Library and the second half of Warzone: Fenris.

That aside, I recently started playing Flames of Wars' trimmed down system; Tanks. It's pretty bog-standard, the rules are simple and the kits are easily assembled for 15mm. There's only four factions at the moment (USA, Nazi Germany, Soviet Union and British Empire), however there's a wide variety of tanks available already.

#8 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:15 AM

Ya'll like Deathwatch? IT'S TIME FOR DEATHWATCH.

The Prophecy of the Hidden Path - Kysaduras the Anchorite, because Ynnead's time is nigh.

gallery_79873_10492_243595.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_192956.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_310412.jpg

med_gallery_79873_10492_128401.jpg

gallery_79873_10492_271251.jpg

I'll post pictures of the full sprues when available; we've had a few leaks already, which confirm a slew of plastic pauldrons for First and Second Founding chapters, plenty of upgrades and our first proper Mark VIII Errant Power Armour, with the torso, arms and legs included.

#9 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:45 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new Kill Teams rules. We basically started out with general 40k, steadily liked it less and less but picked up KT instead and had a total blast. There's a really good custom ruleset currently for Kill Teams but it's also almost completely different from the vanilla game. I'm hoping the new rendition of KT isn't as shallow as the older version but isn't as overly deep as the community stuff.

nY1rpGl.gif

#10 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

I took them for a whirl the other weekend; they definitely need to be paired with a bulkier army. Imperial Guard + Deathwatch seems as if it'd be a match made in heaven, though. That aside, a lot of stuff is dropping soon; the next 30k Boxset (Burning of Prospero) has been "leaked" (although we've known about this one since last December), and Geedub have released a trailer for the Genestealer Cults codex.

ehPcu5f.jpg

#11 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:54 AM

That's actually super cool they're getting their own official 'Dex. No pun intended, they have one hell of a cult following: I see fan-made codexes all over the place, even for Heralds of Ruin.

nY1rpGl.gif

#12 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

When that Genestealer Cult armoured car gets released, I bet every Imperium and Ork faction is going to buy it to convert it. Maybe I'll get one for my Scions :P

#13 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:40 PM

Double post, but so not only are the trucks that you can convert, but Chaos finally got a multi-part Cultist kit :P

886f0f50935a92bd0a89583747e524dd_24153.j

#14 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

LOL basically. I mean just throw some 3rd party hooded heads and you're pretty much good to go. Come to think of it, they'd make some great low-tech Guardsmen if they weren't literally dripping with 'stealer cult icons, but I fancy it'd be an easy fix with green-stuff or a filer.

nY1rpGl.gif

#15 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:34 AM

It shouldn't take too much effort to turn them into renegade militia or hive gangers; I'm glad you get a mixture of Gen III and IV Hybrid heads in the box. Anyhow, on the news and rumours front.

Second Horus Heresy plastic boxed game will launch mid-October; the Burning of Prospero is the subject, although we've known that since last December. Our first leak popped up recently with coverage of the boxed game coming in the November White Dwarf. Plastic Custodes, Mark III Thousand Sons and Space Wolves, Tartaros Terminators and Sisters of Silence are all included in the box.

hjZsHED.jpg

Also releasing in mid-October is a limited release of a new Ultramarines character, who will be carried in-stores on October 22nd. Another Heresy themed character.

700467Exclue.jpg

Warzone Fenris: Part II has been teased by Games Workshop, and confirms the rumours that we'll be seeing a plastic 40k Ahriman, updated plastic Rubric Marines and two plastic Primarch's, Daemon Magnus the Red and Leman Russ, sometime in late 2016/early 2017.

vbhe9dU.jpg

And lastly, here's a little something I've been working on recently; a Sergeant for one of my Tactical Squads, equipped with a combi-flamer and a power sword. They were going to be a Sons of Orar force, however I think I'll be returning to doing them as Blood Ravens. :P

sgjUiuY.jpg?1

#16 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

I'm really excited for those Thousand Sons models. Hopefully their separate sprues will get out onto the internet somehow someway as quickly as possible.

Also digging the model-work and +1 for TEH BLUD REHVANS.

nY1rpGl.gif

#17 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

So I'm pretty sure at least the Ork players will be converting these en masse and maybe the Guard depending on what they want their regiment to look like. Probably better for it to stand in for a Taurox rather than a Chimera, even if the latter is smaller. Would look pretty nice when you sprinkle some IG tank kit across it.

Goliath-Truck-394x313.jpg

#18 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:26 PM

Honestly I'd totally use that as a Chimera stand-in, or a Taurox even. Just gotta edit the fact it's open-topped, sprinkle on some IG bitz and boom, way cooler looking Guard transport. 

nY1rpGl.gif

#19 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

So apparently Primarchs might be a thing in standard GW TT.

Link

Also that tease/troll at the end D:

#20 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:51 PM

Dang. They look super formidable in 30k, I wonder what terrifying amount of points they'll cost to field in vanilla 40k.

Also oh my God plastic Sisters

nY1rpGl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users