NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Stonebridge

29 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

Stonebridge was a decently-sized but sleepy town. Its narrow, cobblestone streets were lined on either side by tightly-packed buildings, and in general the town had a pleasant atmosphere. The smell of the Plains of Illikon wafted through the streets, doing its best to carry off the various stenches of civilization.

During the day, the town bustled with activity. During the night, it fell utterly silent as the superstitious folk locked themselves tightly in their homes. Only the inns remained as bastions of activity. Night cast particular darkness on Stonebridge, its alleys becoming pits of the blackest shadow.

Although there are many places of interest in Stonebridge, the primary landmarks in the town for people passing through are often considered as follows:

Aedan’s Roost – A very nice inn. It is spacious and large. They have good, strong ale and serve nice meals, especially for the price. Not top-notch tavern, but good for common folk.

The Besieged Barrel – The best inn in town. Higher class, even larger than the Roost. Best rooms, food, and drink one could ask for. However, it’s extremely expensive. A hangout for the upper-class of the town.

Mabel’s Mules – A small stable at which various animals are sold, mostly mules, though they also sell horses and donkeys.

Blackmetal Forge – The local blacksmith.

The Bridge – Obviously, Stonebridge’s namesake is an important landmark. It is known among the locals, though perhaps word has not yet spread to many other locations yet, that the mighty bridge of stone that crosses over the Ilfarius River is home to a stone troll. He sometimes asks for taxes from those who cross the bridge he maintains, but the taxes are always light; often he is willing to accept a simple shiny bauble. But he isn't a morning person, so travelers have learned to cross the bridge in early mornings rather than late nights or any other time of day, as he often will not bother asking for a toll during the earliest hours.

Bridge description:

Spoiler

The town also contains many other merchants, such as tanners, clothiers, and more. This should by no means be taken as a complete list of points of interest.

---

Caiden looked at Soothand again once he had donned all his gear and slung his crossbow over his shoulder again. “We’d better get moving,” he said. “It’s almost morning, and we should get a little bit of an early start.”

With that, he led the way out of the inn room. Ferris was wandering the halls looking for everyone, and Caiden nodded for him to follow. The three of them set off downstairs, but Agethar and Krilda couldn’t help but awaken at hearing the sounds of their footsteps. Maugrimm the bloodhound lifted his head and huffed to further let them know what was going on.

Soothand and Ferris continued onward to the stables while Caiden made a brief stop to get Faridah. “We’re going after Tom… you can pass out on my horse’s back if you have to,” he added, forcing a brief, dry smirk.

The four of them met up at the stables, where Ferris had already prepared Caiden’s horse for departure. However, Caiden opted to walk on foot while they rode – since his stallion was large enough to carry three, and he needed to do some tracking, anyway.

Arranged in this manner, Soothand, Faridah, Ferris, and Caiden set off through the southern gates of Stonebridge in search of the missing Tom Drake.

However, at this same moment, the Inquisitors KristinaMarcus, and Cassius arrived in town, both on horseback. They rode up just in time to see their previous companions disappearing from town.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

"Ah, there your friends are" Kristina remarked to Capulet, catching sight of the two Venatori and their companions riding out of the town's gate on the other side of its eponymous bridge —stifling a yawn as she did so.

"Come on" she said, encouraging her horse onwards with a little kick. "We should get after them —werewolf hunting waits for no man" she continued —adding the last somewhat sarcastically, though still in her typical deadpan tone. Tired though she was from riding through the night —and she suspected her fellow Inquisitors were no better off— she felt it was better to catch up with the other hunters now. Elsewise they might lose the trail, and have to spend a great deal of time finding them again, and she wished to complete this assignment as quickly as possible.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#3 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

Kristina, Marcus, and Cassius made good speed catching up with Caiden, Soothand, Ferris, and Faridah, and they soon followed them until they reached a strange mansion atop a hill, a good ways away from the borders of Stonebridge.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#4 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

Outside of town, Salvador was enjoying the feeling of walking on a road for the first time in ages as he had spent the last couple of weeks trekking southwest from the Jagged Edge mountains. Each day was the same to him. Another ten miles, a cold night in the bush, and mornings more frigid than they had any right to be. So presently, as the sun started to fall down under the horizon, the search for shelter began again. However, even with the town nearby, the mercenary could not decide if being back in civilization had made it any easier for him.

Entering the gate, Salvador could not put his finger on the aura that seemed to steep in the faces of the locals. A good few people to gave him nervous glances as they locked up their doors and close their shutters. Soon all was still, save a few pub doors that hung open as muffled music and laughter brushed up against the windows.

Unfortunately, there was no gold or silver in his pockets to pay for a room in one of those places. At least for the night, he needed to find a place to rest off the streets. Away from the wind and the ice, but also away from whatever these locals feared. He did not have much of a preference as to where, but he would need to find some place soon.

Before to long he reached a dead end on the road that ended in a yet another picturesque block of wooden walls and thatched roofs- and the obligatory bystander with a concerned expression. His extroverted nature made him want to go over and try to lighten them up a bit, but it was impossible to make light of the fear painted on their faces.

Continuing, Salvador turned a corner and found the edge of town where a small, dirt road stretched all the way to a twisted silhouette of a building atop a small hill. All the windows were sealed shut and the grass was over growing around the various broken status and trees. It was not pretty, but it was shelter. And even if some old creep had been calling the place home, it was far enough from town that he could get away with loitering until morning.

As he approached, the architectural beauty of the building was outlined by the grey sky and the overgrown brush that surrounded it. Salvador passed the broke figures of stone and he could not help but admire the brilliant chisel work that must have gone into them, those many long years ago. But now they stood there, like petrified corpses; frozen in stone before hitting the ground. The awkward and Bowing wood gave him the creeps as he walked up the front stoop, but staying here was better than being outside, or so he figured. Swallowing these fears, he tested the door to see if it was unlocked, put his hands on the handle, and continued to push it open.

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#5 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

As Ferris and Salvador approached Stonebridge, they saw a heavy fog lying over the river. They headed toward the town on foot from the southern side, and after walking for quite a ways, they saw the town’s namesake bridge before them in the mist.

It was not an enormous bridge, nor a terribly lavish one, but it was extremely well-kept and had some of the finest stonework they had ever seen. It was enough to make a dwarf envious.

The hour was not quite as early as when they had set out from the mansion… and clearly not early enough.

As they set foot on the bridge, the entire ground seemed to quake for a moment, and the two of them stumbled to keep their balance. A huge face suddenly appeared above them as a massive creature clambered out from under the bridge and positioned himself so that they couldn’t cross.

It was a rather enormous, dark greyish monster with a large, round belly that looked like a boulder and a humanoid head that matched. Its facial features were large and intimidating, looking as if they were roughly hewn from a rock face – literally. A dirty loincloth hung around its waist, and it gazed at them with a pair of beady yellow eyes peering from either side of a large nose. It had two pointed ears that drooped slightly on the ends, and its skin looked exactly like stone. Perhaps most important of all, its body was covered in large, stone muscles, except for its belly.

But, instead of attacking outright, a smile appeared on the stone troll’s great face.

“Hullo,” the troll declared in a very friendly manner, though his tone didn’t betray any particularly great intelligence. His voice sounded like rolling thunder, even when he was speaking calmly.

“This me bridge,” said the troll, gesturing at it very proudly. “Me keep it for town. You pay little something to walk bridge? Maybe a shiny?”

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#6 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

He was face to face with a huge troll, he looked at Salvador and whispered to him, "I told you, troll, I'm out of money, I'll need you to cover this." He said as he looked up and down the troll his large belly rumbling and rolling.

He thought he'd try to talk to the creature, just to test its intelligence.

"Hello, I'm Ferris, and who may you be my kind sir?" He asked calmly.

21.jpg

#7 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

Salvador took Ferris's word and pulled out a couple of roughly hewn goblin coins he had found in his pocket. It was not much, but come on, it was just to cross a small stream, nothing more. "Very nice to meet you, kind sir," he said, offering his hand to the giant guardian "I'll give you my sword if this is not enough." One would not have been able to tell from his face, but he was still in awe that a troll was guarding the town. It was brilliant really. No reason exists as to why all not-men had to be at odds.

#8 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

"Hello, I'm Ferris, and who may you be my kind sir?" asked Ferris.

“Me named Krug,” the troll replied with a friendly smile. “Me not get called ‘kind sir’ much. Me like you, Ferris. You nice.”

Salvador then approached and offered some goblin coins to the troll, saying, "Very nice to meet you, kind sir. I'll give you my sword if this is not enough."

The troll took the coins – very carefully, so that he didn’t crush Salvador’s hand. He held them up near his face and pushed them around with a finger, turning them over and admiring them. They were dark, ruddy, barely even shiny little things, but the troll seemed to be enjoying them.

“Me not ask for sword,” said Krug. “Me know people want keep them. They expensive.” He closed his fist around the coins and stepped aside, letting them cross the bridge. “Coins good. Maybe they be shinier when me clean them. Me like. You can cross now.” Another smile crossed his stone features. “You have nice day.”

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#9 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

"Thank you Krug, you have a nice day too." Ferris replied as he walked across the bridge with Salvador, he turned to the mercenary and spoke. "Thanks for that, I spent my last bit of coin on a chest plate not too long ago." He chuckled as he looked around the town, admiring the overall feel of pleasantly.

"So Salvador, where too now?" He asked the man.

21.jpg

#10 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:50 AM

"Hello, I'm Ferris, and who may you be my kind sir?" asked Ferris, while Salvador came near with his few ruddy coins. “Me named Krug,” The troll said as grin unravelled across his verdant, toothed jaws  “Me not get called ‘kind sir’ much. Me like you, Ferris. You nice.”  

"Thank you Krug, you have a nice day too." Ferris returned, before turning to Salvador "Thanks for that, I spent my last bit of coin on a chest plate not too long ago. So Salvador, where too now?"

"Your quite welcome-" he said chuckling "Although I do say; I got lucky there."

The mercenary, looked up at the sun and then did some thinking. "​Rises in the east... We are headed..." He stopped pacing for a second, "This way!" motioning his hand to the north. "We could go off path if we so desired. But I think the road is safer, eh?" It was a beautiful day, and 30 miles would an easy goal. "Now, how far is this stronghold to the north?"

#11 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

"This way!" motioning his hand to the north. "We could go off path if we so desired. But I think the road is safer, eh?" It was a beautiful day, and 30 miles would an easy goal. "Now, how far is this stronghold to the north?"

"Well, once you get to the city of Northrim, you go east about, eh, a few miles and you'll know you're on the right path of there's farmlands and crops growing on either sides of the road, unless my father has given up farming and invested in mining, I haven't been there a while, but I've still remembered the path." He said trying to recall the path to his best content, he hadn't been or seen his father's land in almost three years, nor his brothers.

"We'll take the road, I've got to agree with you, it'll be safer then trekking the wilds." He said with a grin.

"If you're in need of supplies, we should probably stock up here." He said gesturing to the assorted shops and markets setup and around the town.

21.jpg

#12 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

As Agethar followed the road toward town, he did indeed see the fog begin to lessen around him. He soon approached the bridge ((description can be found in the starting post of the topic))… and the troll quickly clambered out again to greet him. The huge creature offered a friendly smile. Maugrimm's ears twitched and he gave a low growl at the scent of a would-be monster, his hackles rising, but the dog didn't react otherwise.

Then the troll made a face and scratched his stone chin with his thick, stone fingers. “You wear cloak like that Ferris man,” said the troll, gesturing just beyond the bridge to two figures still standing near the entrance to the city – Agethar recognized them as Ferris and Salvador.

“You with him?” the troll asked. “Checker-man,” he added, obviously in reference to Salvador’s chosen gear, “pay big toll. Me let you pass free if you their friend.”

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#13 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

Agethar grinned at Krug and said "Indeed, good sir, I know Ferris!"

He then waved to the other Venator and boomed "Ferris! Good to see you on such a fine morning!"

#14 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:10 AM

The sudden rain poured down on Stonebridge as two figures moved hurriedly through the night-time streets. Both were dressed in the brown sackcloth robes, rope belts, and brown, hooded cloaks that signified them as errant monks from the Temple of one deity or another. But, these were no ordinary monks; one of them was Avarice, Demon-kin of Greed, and the other was a minion he had picked up in his brief return to Illikon.

Both soon spotted an inn, the same Inn that Tom Drake, Caiden and their company had chosen to stay in, and entered inside to the hubbub of laughing and the smell of food and ale.

The Monks both headed towards the bar where the Innkeeper was. Avarice held out his hands in a begging gesture and said “Some scraps and spare coppers for errant monks of the god Hermes?” The Innkeeper smiled, and handed both monks a plate of food and a small pouch containing ten coppers each, not knowing that, in the nature of the miscevious messenger of the Greek Pantheon, was being tricked.

Both men, carrying their plates of food, looked for an empty table, and, spying two familiar friends, made their way to their table.

The first was a man dressed in a studded leather breastplate, chainmail, a green tunic, leather gauntlets, boots, and a dark green cloak. He had brown hair, blue eyes, a moustache, and facial hairs around the sides of his face, and had a quiver full of red-feathered arrows and an oak bow.

The other was a thin looking man dressed in iron and leather armor, and had a broadsword strapped onto his back. He had rust colored hair drawn back into a ponytail, sideburns, and rings under his golden eyes that signified his constant nights of little sleep. But despite his thin looking appearance, he was well muscled.

“Gentlemen,” Avarice said as he sat down “I’ve returned.”

“Hello boss,” the brown-haired man said “were are the others? You took most of the others with you.”

“They’re dead, Barton,” Avarice said “they were murdered by a pack of Vargs that we encountered on our way back. I was able to bury them, though.”

Barton muttered curses under his breath, while the rust-haired man asked “Well, did you find anything out about that Merchant Train, Boss?”

“They will be headed back this way, Fenris Ulf,” the Demon-kin said “but that’s all I know. We didn’t find out much before we returned, and encountered the thrice-cursed Drake and those d***** Vargs.”

“Crap,” Fenris said as he sipped his mug of ale. Meanwhile, Barton looked at the man who sat next to this boss and said “Who’s the waif you picked up?

“He’s Erika, a Southron that joined me on my return trip.” Avarice explained, and, looking around, asked “Where’s Balam?”

“That’s just it, Boss,” Barton said as he took a bite of meat “ the illusion that Gorlok used to disguise him failed the other night, and he was forced to flee into the woods south of here. He’s waiting for us for when we move on.”  

Avarice muttered a curse and then said “Worse, and worse…I ran into Malvolio and his gang on the way here, we should either fight him, or run.”

Fenris shook his head “If more of the others had come back with you, we might have stood a chance, but now…” he shrugged “we should try to recruit some help.”

Barton nodded and said “I my old friend Migelle Salvador enter town, and there are some people up at the old Tatius Mansion, hopefully they’ll be back in the morning, so we’ll wait down here to get some of their help.”

Avarice nodded “Alright, we’ll wait, but not for long..”

Moving up the Rode to Stonebridge was a small caravan. It consisted of one large covered wagon, and eight riders on horseback. The two leaders wore gold, silver and red armor, one wearing a helmet and the other wearing none. Four of the men wore the same kind of armor, along with helms, and the other two were dressed in brown, hooded cloaks and silver chainmail hauberks. The leader had a large, single headed war axe, the lieutenant had a broadsword, one soldier had a pike, another a halberd, the third had a large spear with twin flails attached under the head, the fourth had twin short swords, and the two men in cloaks had crossbows and quivers of bolts. The drivers of the cart had quivers holding several javelins. This was Malvolio Borgia’s Hunting Party, for they were Templars, and the Red Cross of Astra was painted on the sides of the canvas covering, with a gold and silver border.

Malvolio had short, grey hair, muttonchops (like those of Wolverine), and light green eyes. But his most striking feature were four large scratches, each one deep, and stretching from just above his hairline just to just above his chin and mutton chops.

His Lieutenant was a blonde haired man called Dalton Westmoore, the man with the pike was called Rolf, the one with a halberd was called Sevres, the one with the large spear was called Lundgaard, the one with the short swords was called Nigel, the two men with crossbows were called Sivad and Murom, and the cart drives were called Marco and Joshua. 

When Stonebridge came into sight, Dalton turned to his superior and said “Sir, two men are coming up beside us.” It was true; two people, Avarice and Erika, were making there way up to the head of the caravan. When they came level with Dalton and Malvolio, Erika raised her hands in a begging gesture and said “Please, sire, do you have some small coins to spare for errant priests of Hermes?”

Malvolio growled, and gave Erika a very small pouch containing five coppers. Dalton shot a look at his superior and handed the Southron Woman a small pouch of silver coins and said “May Astra’s blessing guide you.”

Both false priests nodded respectfully and moved on. Dalton turned to look at Malvolio and said “You shouldn’t have been so stingy, sir. Our superiors could have you kicked out for that. Besides, sometimes the gods walk among us. For all we know, that was Hermes and Zeus himself!”

Malvolio growled bad-temperedly, but said nothing. Instead, he turned in his saddle and said to the others “We’ll camp outside the walls of the town. In the morning, I and Dalton will go to the local militia to rustle up any news. Silvad and Murom, go up to the old Tatius Mansion and see if Avarice and his crew are up there. Rolf and Lungaard, go to the bridge troll and ask it if it has seen the Demon-kin and his gang. You others, guard the camp, and wait for our return.”

(In case you guessed, this all took place while we were running around in the abandoned mansion. Now that it is day, everyone is now intractable: Avarice and his crew are in that inn, and will ask anyone who talks to them to assist them. Malvolio’s caravan are in their respective areas, and will also ask people to assist them. The two mercenary scouts, who Malvolio hired, and are not officially Templars, will head to the Tatius Mansion, and are the only people who can be killed without provoking the Templar order.)

#15 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

Salvador was thankful that Ferris seemed to know where they were heading.

"Well, once you get to the city of Northrim, you go east about, eh, a few miles and you'll know you're on the right path of there's farmlands and crops growing on either sides of the road, unless my father has given up farming and invested in mining, I haven't been there a while, but I've still remembered the path."

The young hunter paused and looked at the countryside, before continuing.

"We'll take the road, I've got to agree with you, it'll be safer then trekking the wilds. If you're in need of supplies, we should probably stock up here."

"Ah, it's fine. I was taught to forage by a nomadic bird-man while I was on a training run around a year ago. You would not believe what he could get from a few meters of forest floor." he said, stalling while he undid his satchel. Inside was a trove of native greens and a few dried meats, all folded in large river leaves which he showed to Ferris "It's really been useful in these past couple weeks. I've wild produce the likes of which I've found or caught. Unions, truffles, cat-tail roots, and sticklebacks-. We'll be fine, assuming you rich folk can stomach rustic cuisine."

"Now, gear-wise-" his talking faded out as an approacher neared the duo. "Ferris! Good to see you on such a fine morning!" he bellowed loudly. It was the large, awkward northerner from the night before.

#16 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

Before Agethar could call out another greeting, four Templars on Horseback rode up to the Bridge (Lungaard, Rolf, Silvad and Joshua). Lungaard dismounted and walked up to the Bridge Troll and said "Guud Mornin', Guud Sir Troll. We be lookin' fer a man," he paused to withdraw a piece of parchment, and held it up to Krug. "Have ye by any chance seen 'im nearby?"

Meanwhile, Rolf dismounted and walked over to Ferris and Salvador and said "Good Morning, Sirs, have you seen this man?" he produced a similar parchment with a bust of a man inked onto it:

Spoiler

"If you've seen him, it would be most gracious of you to tell us what you know about him, and where you last saw him."

#17 Dagoth

Dagoth

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:42 PM

Before Salvador could respond to the yelling barbarian, four Templars in polished armor rode up. One stopped and pulled a small piece of paper with an illustration of a scared, young man with dark hair. So what? Salvador had seen plenty of young men like that in the Imperial ranks. Well, that was until he notice the two fledgling horns stabbing through the man's crown of hair.
"Good Morning, Sirs, have you seen this man?" One of the riders said.

"Good morning to you too. Do my eyes deceive me, or are those horns on that man's head?"

#18 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

Upon being address and presented with the parchment that showed a drawing of a horned man, Krug scratched his head – his stone fingers scraping upon his stone noggin – and stared at the parchment for a long moment.

Then he said simply, “Him have horns growing on his head like a goat. Me would remember someone like that. Me not seen anyone with goat horns.”

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#19 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

"No," Rolf said "his name is Avarice, and he is a Demon-kin of Greed. He has a following of eight people with him, and is wanted for the theiving of some priceless gems. The local magistrate said that someone like him had been seen around here from time to time."

Lungaard, meanwhile, covered up the bust's horns and said the same thing as Rolf, if a bit garbled by his accent.

#20 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

"Well, me not seen him," Krug answered flatly. He glanced at his bridge and flicked a bit of bird dung off it. "You gonna pay shiny to cross bridge or hold up picture all day? Me need to keep bridge nice. Me have work to do."

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users