NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ROLEPLAY: Over the Sea - Part 1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
442 replies to this topic

#421 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:40 AM

Ryan thanked the gods that he traveled light. He reluctantly slid off his light chainmail, and then dropped it on the ground, it would be too heavy to swim in. He dumped his remaining arrows from his quiver, then slung his pack over his shoulder and held his bow. He ran and dove from the flaming ship, landing gracefully into the water. He swam under for half a moment, then popped his head above the water, gasping to refill his lungs. He began to breaststroke to a close dinghie where another man was going.

((Yeah, sorry for not posting earlier Wolfy, I was at camp last week, and I'm just getting back to the flow of my normal life again.))

Posted Image

"We gotta be playin' for keeps... 'Till the life juice weeps!"

#422 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:18 AM

Sir William could locate no sign of a captain’s cabin anywhere below deck. He saw various bunks – some shared, some not – containing various belongings that gave him easy guesses as to who they belonged to, but none were marked as being Aquilonis’s…

Then he remembered. The Captain’s cabin wasn’t below the main deck – it was accessed from the main deck, for it was located underneath the rear deck of the ship, the quarterdeck.

On the main deck of the Dragon, the sea serpent continued to be pelted from all sides by the crew of the ship – but this time, with its movements slowed and its defenses lowered on its right side – the adventurers were getting through.

As Vala charged forward toward the unsuspecting serpent, Jacob was casting an ice shard spell aimed for its remaining eye. The monster clearly noticed this, for it opened its maw again, ready to spit more venom – but thanks to Vala, it didn’t get the chance.

Vala’s attacks were surprisingly effective against the serpent as she precisely managed to fit her blade between some of the thick scales, piercing the creature’s flesh and making it hiss in agony. While it was distracted, Jacob finished his spell.
Though some of the shards went wide and hit only scales, enough ice hit the serpent directly in its left eye to make it rear and shriek again, much as it had before.

Inside the serpent itself, Erik was still maintaining some consciousness despite the serpent’s tight body that he was barely squeezing through. He had barely enough room to maneuver and take hold of his dagger, but he managed to reach his blade nonetheless. Slipping it from its sheath, he stabbed it into the serpent that had devoured him.

His blade had little effect, but did release some blood from the fleshy walls. The serpent’s body, it seemed, was very tough – and he was now too weak to easily pierce it. Nonetheless he continued, stabbing as hard as he could at the creature, and he was beginning to see some progress as blood spurted down around him.
Even as he continued, it seemed hopeless that he could fight his way out of the creature on his own… and indeed it was.

Just as Fintan reached the ballista, Sean leapt up into position, turning the great contraption about and directing the bolt at the sea serpent once more. It was preparing to spew more poison onto the deck of the ship aimlessly, for it was now entirely blind, but he wouldn’t let that happen.

As he released the bolt it soared high toward the serpent’s head. Though the monster surely heard something as it paused and hesitated, it could see nothing, and thus reacted far too slowly.

The ballista bolt pierced the sea serpent just below its head and the monster let out an ear-splitting screech. Blood poured down its dark scales as the towering monster suddenly fell away, its tall body limply toppling into the sea. With an uproarious splash and a spray of water that soaked those on the right side of the ship, the defeated sea serpent sunk deep into the ocean, leaving behind it thick, red blood in the grey-blue water.

They had done it – they had killed the sea serpent!

But new dangers approached. The corsair ship would soon be upon them. Fintan had already left the forecastle deck and the victorious adventurers with the ballista to be by Aquilonis’s side. Elektra glanced up at the dwarf, looking scared. The adventurers heard them speaking in low whispers over the Captain, who was staring blankly into the space. His flesh was pale but nonetheless coated in a layer of cold sweat.
“Strong stuff,” Fintan muttered. “Jus’ on contact?”
“He was wounded before, when fighting Roland, remember? It could’ve gotten in a wound,” Elektra replied quietly.
“Could have,” said the dwarf. He looked up at the adventurers. “Nobody get near the venom on the decks! It might poison jus’ on contact. Damn deadly stuff we’re dealin’ with here.”
“Can’t you do something for him?”
Fintan grunted. “‘Course I can. I’ve saved this kid more times than I can keep track of. Let’s wash this venom off first an’ then get ‘im to the captain’s cabin. I’ll stay with him an’ fix ‘im up while you an’ the others take care o’ these corsairs.”

Elektra nodded. The two set to work carefully cleaning the black poison from Aquilonis’s stiff form. Before long they were done, and Elektra tossed overboard the now blackened cloths used to wipe off the thick venom. With the Imperial lady’s help, Fintan moved Nathaniel into his cabin.

“He’ll be fine,” Fintan said as he prepared to close the door after Elektra stepped outside onto the main deck. She merely nodded back at him, for it sounded awfully like the dwarf was trying to assure himself of that as much as he was trying to assure her.

Elektra turned away as Fintan closed the door, looking at the corsair ship that was bearing down upon them before she turned and approached Vala.
“Vala,” she said, “that ship surely belongs to Southerners. I need you and Javed to talk to them. Our ship is a Southern design, and if they see you two on board, maybe they won’t take us as enemies. Could you go get Javed and tell him this for me? I’d like the two of you with me on the main deck when the corsairs get here.”

The Seal was going up in flames. Aries and David were the first two to ditch a good deal of their gear and leap overboard, following Roland’s orders and making for a dinghy. David was the first to reach one, followed shortly thereafter by Roland. The elf nimbly lifted himself up into the boat, grabbing an oar from the bottom and rowing it toward Ryan, who also climbed aboard. Though Ryan looked about desperately for any sign of Amber, he could find nothing.

Roland managed to get his boat upright again, fishing out the oar that threatened to float away in the sea and rowing it toward the other adventurers – Aries was the closest, so Roland grabbed him and helped haul him into the boat. Anya swam far off to another dinghy, flipping it over only to find herself without an oar.

“Here,” said Roland, tossing her a spare one he had found. “Thank you for trying to help save the ship,” he added solemnly, sounding far from his usual cheerful self.

Theriot was paddling along quite well, and he reached one of the three remaining dinghies, content to have it all to himself – except there was no one to row for him, but there was an oar in the bottom of the boat. It seemed all the dinghies that hadn’t turned upside-down still contained a few useful things in them, for Theriot and David both found some ropes in the bottom of their small crafts.

Many did not escape the burning ship. Their screams penetrated the crackling flames – Roland recognized most of the voices… Relus was one of them. Leonard, the old man who had the pet monkey, leapt overboard – but he was aflame, and he did not resurface from the sea after splashing into it.

Osgar was hauling Tildon up into a dinghy, though Tildon was coughing up a good deal of water, making it clear that Osgar had narrowly saved his life. Alan Lockhart was nowhere to be found, just as there was no sight of Isaac, Amber, or Kossuth. It was likely that a good number of them simply drowned upon leaping into the water. The last remaining dinghy bobbed alone near the Seal, unmanned and useless.

Roland let out a long sigh as he watched his magnificent tall ship succumb to the blaze that matched the fiery sunset. In their little boats, the remaining adventurers and their Captain prepared to row away. Aries was surprised when the end of a rope suddenly smacked his leg, and he looked up to see Theriot, wringing out some of his drenched clothing, wave to him.

“You wouldn’t make one of your elders exhaust himself rowing, would you?” said the Recluse. Roland nodded back to Aries, who silently tied Theriot’s rope to the back of their dinghy. He and Roland then began to row while Theriot, who had tied the other end of the rope to the bow of his own boat and effectively rid himself of any work, shook himself off like a wet dog trying to get dry.

And so the five boats, led by Roland and Aries’s dinghy that trailed Theriot’s, began their exhausting journey. With their wet clothes still clinging to their bodies, the sea breeze that blew over them felt particularly cold… this only seemed to augment the feeling of hopelessness that some of them now carried.

One of the adventurers had the heart to ask where exactly they planned to go. Roland hesitated a moment before he answered.
“There is only one place we can go,” he replied, his tone one of disgust. “There are no ships and no settlements that we know of except the Dragon… it seems we’ll be meeting up with our treacherous companions sooner than we had thought.”

On the Dragon, things were still quiet. Their victory had been a hard one – they had lost two men. Erik had gone down with the sea serpent, though none of them had considered that he may have had some faint chance of escaping the monster’s innards. Aquilonis was poisoned and Fintan had shut himself up in the Captain’s cabin, determined to save his life. The corsair ship would soon arrive by their side, and there was nothing they could do to prevent it, be these Southerners friend or foe. Elektra was speaking with Vala, and all of the other adventurers remained in an odd state of shock after all that had happened. They were only just now beginning to move about and speak again.

They scarcely noticed the shape of Flint rowing his dinghy rapidly toward the Dragon. When someone saw the image of the blazing Seal far behind them and called out, a cold smile found its way onto Elektra’s face.

“It’s that backstabbing rat!” someone called out, pointing toward Flint and his boat. Elektra stepped up to the quarterdeck, looking out behind them at the Seal’s former first mate.

“No one attack him,” she ordered to the adventurers. “Remember what I said at the port back in Artorius?” Some did, some didn’t, but she said nothing of it besides that. “Someone lower a rope down the side and help Flint aboard.”

((This is a brief break time after all the action. Everyone feel free to talk to each other, reflect on your situation, ask questions, fuss, or do whatever. The next post will be a long one - and soon thereafter I will begin the new wave of sign-ups (and possibly start a Part 2 RP topic so that we can keep things a bit more straight around here).))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#423 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:23 AM

When Ryan couldn't see Amber, he slammed his knuckles onto the rim of the dinghie, causing the boat to sway. His knuckles began to bleed, but he simply grabbed an oar and began to row.

“There is only one place we can go,” he replied, his tone one of disgust. “There are no ships and no settlements that we know of except the Dragon… it seems we’ll be meeting up with our treacherous companions sooner than we had thought.”

Ryan let out a humorless snort and said, "Guess we'll know how Anya felt when we decided her fate." He then added bitterly and sarcastically, "Oh the irony."

Posted Image

#424 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

Sir William almost punched himself in the face. You idiot! He told himself. but just then, as he ran back onto the deck, he saw the Sea Serpent fall. He had no need of a weapon any longer. He looked around, seeing Sir Nathaniel being taken, covered in poison. "Oh no. The Gods aid him." He muttered. Then, he spotted the corsair ship, soon to be upon them! Hopefully they'd be able to avoid a fight. But if not, they we're done for.

And finally, he saw Flint being hauled aboard. The Bastard. He thought. We should've let him should drown. He had no time to dwell on this however, as he had to prepare. He was wearing his armor, and his sword was at his side. He bolted over to where his shield and helm lay. They'd almost been knocked overboard. He sat the helm upon his head, and fastened on his shield.

His sword rested still in it's scabbard. He could draw it in a moment's notice, but waited to see if the new ship was friend or foe.

#425 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

"Guess we'll know how Anya felt when we decided her fate. Oh the irony."

David looked up at the other man in the dinghy with him. "Well, we didn't treat her too badly, so maybe she could put in a good word for us," he said, trying to cheer the other man up a bit. "Besides," he said with a slight sarcastic laugh, "with our luck we'll arrive at the Dragon just in time to find them facing some other threat. So come on, let's keep rowing, might as well get there sooner rather than later." With that David resumed rowing with a faster pace, hoping the other man would match it, and watched as the distant shape of the Dragon grew slowly closer.
"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#426 Darkwoods

Darkwoods

Wubalubadubdub!

• 2,085 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:33 AM

The cold of the water hit Anya like a brick wall as she slammed into it. Behind her, the Seal was slowly sinking, the screams of those within all too easy to hear. She swam to the furthest dinghy, but found herself lacking an oar.
'Here, thank you for trying to help save the ship.' Roland said as her threw her an oar, lacking his usual authority. The man was drained and defeated. Of course he was. Not only had his precious ship gone up in flames, his first mate turned traitor, but now he had to accept help from his arch rival. All in all, it wasn't going well for him.

'Thank you.' Anya grumbled the reply, not sure if she should show any gratitude to the man who had threatened to have her marooned. In the end, she went for; 'I'm sorry for your ship. I know it was your life.' Then she dropped back to where Ryan and David where rowing, looking at Ryan. He juat looked depressed. Of course, Amber.

giphy.gif

#427 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:24 AM

The Recluse sat back in his own personal dinghy, humming the tune that matched that of a sorrowful song in his head as he meticulously wrung out his wet clothes. Every now and then he'd glance over his shoulder and stare at the flaming ship at their backs, the fire occasionally cracking and popping and exploding with light. People continued to scream and every now and then someone leapt overboard, their body alight.

When Theriot first boarded the Seal, he had never for a moment considered that half of the passengers would become mutineers while the rest would be killed in a violent blaze. It was so much more than he could have ever hoped for. It was so delightfully tragic and traumatizing. And yet, the old man felt a good deal of sorrow upon the realization that most of his victims were now victims of the sea, rather than his magic. He had only wanted to frighten people and humiliate them to pass the time - he had never quite expected this conclusion.

Regardless, he was quite pleased with himself that he had survived. He was one of eight survivors, if he was indeed counting correctly. He, an old man, had out-lived a good number of the young and adventurous buffoons that had intially set out on this quest! It was an incredible thought, and it made him feel quite young and invigorated. Maybe he could still have fun with what survivors remained. They had just endured a terrifying experience and were now at the mercy of the sea, so maybe Theriot could use that...

"Well, we didn't treat her too badly, so maybe she could put in a good word for us. Besides with our luck we'll arrive at the Dragon just in time to find them facing some other threat. So come on, let's keep rowing, might as well get there sooner rather than later." Theriot searched for the source of the voice, and saw that it originated from that night elf fellow...Ah, the one who enjoyed swimming!

"I surely hope that those scoundrels would not consider harming a helpless old man such as I," he said innocently, eyes wide with worry. "I did not intend on getting myself caught in a dispute between young lads such as yourselves when I agreed to take passage on that fine, fiery vessel."

"Besides, I doubt that that woman will vouch for us," he grumbled, pointing out Anya with a finger. "She'll want us dead now that I've revealed her to be a spectre." Theriot's beard was quite drenched, and it made him quite irritable.

Posted Image

#428 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

Ryan's eyes flitted toward Anya, then back to the sea ahead that lead to the Dragon

"Well, we didn't treat her too badly, so maybe she could put in a good word for us. Besides with our luck we'll arrive at the Dragon just in time to find them facing some other threat. So come on, let's keep rowing, might as well get there sooner rather than later."

"I surely hope that those scoundrels would not consider harming a helpless old man such as I," he said innocently, eyes wide with worry. "I did not intend on getting myself caught in a dispute between young lads such as yourselves when I agreed to take passage on that fine, fiery vessel."
"Besides, I doubt that that woman will vouch for us," he grumbled, pointing out Anya with a finger. "She'll want us dead now that I've revealed her to be a spectre."

Ryan looked irritably at the sea as the old man spoke, though a grin tugged at the corner of his mouth at the last comment.

Posted Image

#429 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:11 AM

As the serpent fell back into the sea, Vala was drenched in saltwater, and had managed to swallow quite a bit. And only moments before she had faced a monster beyond her nightmares. The urge to vomit was there again, and this time it was no stopping it. She leaned over the railing, making some very unpleasant noises. After a while she wiped her mouth and tried to get a hold of the sutiation.

A sailor and an adventurer had been devoured by the snake. Such a cruel fate... may the gods be ashamed to allow such abominations to walk the earth! Much of the deck was covered with thick, slippery venom, which Fintan had told not to touch. And her weapon was once again gone. The sword had disappeared into the sea along with that cursed snake. Vala gazed into the bloody soup that was the ocean, watching with disgust and horror as the serpent vanished into the unforgiving dephts. She shivered, not only because of the cold water. Perhaps she could seek comfort with Javed...

After carrying Aquilonis into his cabin, Elektra approached the young Southerner. “Vala, that ship surely belongs to Southerners."

Vala suddenly remembered the triangular sails she and Javed had spotted from the crows nest. It was now nearing the Dragon with great speed.

"I need you and Javed to talk to them. Our ship is a Southern design, and if they see you two on board, maybe they won’t take us as enemies. Could you go get Javed and tell him this for me? I’d like the two of you with me on the main deck when the corsairs get here."”

"Oh. Very... very well. I'll uh, go talk to him."

Still somewhat shocked, Vala nodded towards the door leading to the captains cabin. "I hope he'll be alright." Then she turned and walked up the stairs to the forecastle deck. There she found Javed, looking somewhat anxious.

"I... good work with the ballista, Javed" She tried to smile to him, but to no avail. "Elektra wants us to help her negotiating with the crew of that other ship" She pointed in it's general direction. She opened her mouth to continue, but hesitated. Then, without warning, she wrapped her arms around Javed's neck, seeking comfort in his embrace...

Edited by Fenris, 19 July 2010 - 04:12 AM.

#430 Freedom

Freedom

For now, still breathing.

• Nova Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

Aries looked to the other four dinghies and then to the inferno that was now the Seal. Aries watched as Roland sighed and continued to row, and Aries in return did the same. He was curious of where they where going to go next. Aries had a pretty good idea where, though he didn't want to ask Roland if he was correct. Aries believed they were going to go to the islands of the savage islanders, said to dwell on great far away islands. He had heard several tales and learned about a few explorers who had survived the ordeal in the schools set up for noble children. Though he was well educated he didn't like to show it. Aries shrugged the thought off and decided to start a conversation with Roland. This could be the only time he had to get to know his captain.

He thought he should start out with something simple, like, "Where are you from, Captain Roland?"
Quote of the Century: "Crying when you were sad was like telling the world it had won." - Semiautomagic, Good Time Harley http://forums.saber-...737#entry403636

#431 Fearful Pinata

Fearful Pinata

Private

• 78 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

Jacob watched as the serpent fell back into the sea, satisfied that it was dead. He sat on the floor of the deck to rest, his spell casting having tired him.

#432 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:31 AM

((1000th post. Significance yay.))

Feeling as if an anvil had fallen on his shoulders, Will put his hands on his knees and panted. Though he had little to do with the fight, he felt simply exhausted. The sheer tension of the fight was enough to make a man snap. Will had seen many creatures in his time, but few had been as terrifying as that... beast. A gaping maw and skin as hard as stone.
Panting, he chuckled to himself. Well, the beast was dead.
He looked to the others. He was sure someone was missing, but he didn't bother to do a headcount. No-one on this ship was important to him.

Striding over to the edge of the ship, Will glanced over the sides. A brief respite was needed, perhaps.
There was an odd sensation in his stomach. He felt as if he had forgotten something, and that there was a danger in forgetting that item. Was it that, or was it fear? That horrible voice in the back of your head that always jumped on the worst ending to the current situation.

And then he remembered.

Ilan! That bloody dog. He had been on the Seal, but even then Will hadn't seen him. Would he ever return to the Seal? Some part of him doubted it. Of course, it would.
It was that nagging voice in the back of your head that always jumped on the worst conclusion.

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#433 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,221 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

Novak let a sigh of relief escape his lungs when the serpent sunk; but it was replaced by a sense of mourning for the poor souls the beast had dragged to the bottom with it. If Fate were good, she would allow the beast to surface due to the air in its lungs and stomach - if she were cruel, the chance of those in its stomach would be nothing. The pressure of the ocean would crush the walls of the stomach around them, and the waters would rush in, drowning them.

Novak didn't want to think about it.

iyx1Foo.jpg?1

#434 Fearful Pinata

Fearful Pinata

Private

• 78 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:57 AM

Jacob shakily got to his feet and look around at the deck. He then wandered over to the door of the captains cabin and knocked three times.

#435 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

The serpent had been defeated, but now the once distant Southern vessel was drawing nearer, and someone had signaled that the Seal's first mate was approaching. The break in the action would be brief, that was all but certain. Vala came up to him on the forecastle after speaking with Elektra, she seemed anxious about something. Of course she would be, the woman's off in a real adventure for the first time in her life and just attacked a sea-monster head-on.

Vala was trying to smile, but he could tell she was unsettled, "I... good work with the ballista, Javed" She pointed toward the nearing sails, "Elektra wants us to help her negotiating with the crew of that other ship" she opened her mouth to continue, but hesitated. Then, without warning, wrapped her arms around Javed's neck.

Javed was caught off guard for only an instant before returning her embrace, "You did pretty well yourself Vala, I don't think many people would be willing to charge a beast like that, let alone live to tell the tale." After a few moments longer he gestured down to the ship's main deck, "Come on, Elektra will be waiting for us, and that ship doesn't seem to be getting any farther. Besides," he smiled, moving toward the stairs, "if comes down to it fighting off another ship can't be much harder than fighting a monster."

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#436 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

Roland and what was left of his adventurer-crew were still rowing steadily along, some talking amongst themselves and most sounding quite disgruntled. When Aries asked Roland where he was from, the Imperial merely shrugged, keeping his gaze on the ship ahead.

“The Empire,” he replied flatly. “I come from the Imperial capital, from a noble family…” he paused for a moment as if he had seen something before them, but soon he went on. “My father was in the Imperial Armada and was a respected captain. Naturally I wanted to follow in his footsteps, so I did. I was in the Armada for a while before Aquilonis, who worked on the same ship as me, tried to smear my name. I didn’t see much glory in the Armada anyway, so I resigned on my own and became an explorer.” He muttered something before adding, “It seems Aquilonis did the same.”

They would soon arrive at the Dragon… it seemed someone else was there first. A ship, similar in design to Aquilonis’s, was stopping alongside the Dragon.
Glancing back at the others, Roland said, “You had best all be cooperative. I recommend doing as I say. I don’t know who this other ship belongs to, but perhaps I can get us out of this alive.”

Things on the Dragon were happening swiftly as they prepared for the arrival of the foreign ship. Jacob was admitted into the Captain’s cabin by a disgruntled-looking Fintan, who shut the door behind them so promptly that the others didn’t have a chance to peek within.

Fintan looked briefly at the mage, crossing his arms and standing in his path. “So yer the one that helped Nate get offa the Seal, huh?” he asked, huffing shortly thereafter.
“Surprised you could do it, scrawny as you are. Anyway, I’m sure you came t’ see Nate, not me.” The dwarf moved aside, motioning to the bed in the back of the quarters. Upon it lay Nathaniel Aquilonis, stiff as a board, though he seemed to be partially conscious. His chest was barely moving, rising and falling only very slightly – even this seemed to take great effort for him.

“Not much to see,” Fintan muttered quietly. “I’ve never seen poison like this before. He’s paralyzed from head to toe. I’m ‘fraid he might not be able to even breathe much longer.” He hesitated. “Hopefully those damn corsairs will help us. Maybe they know more ‘bout this, since they live in this part o’ the seas.”

On the main deck of the Dragon, Elektra had hoisted Flint aboard herself, as it seemed none of the adventurers were willing to do it. Flint gave an uneasy grin as he stepped onto the deck, his single eye scanning over the battered and disheartened crew, pausing upon the stain of black venom.

“Looks like you lot just survived a mighty rough encounter,” he remarked, looking at Elektra.

She arched a brow at him. “You don’t say?”

Flint nervously cleared his throat before he spoke again. “Ah, look, I know none o’ these adventurer folk prolly care much for me, but… um…”

“But you torched the Seal. Yes, I saw.”

Another smile found its way to Flint’s face. “Aye, I did. That bloody liar o’ a cap’n got what he deserved. Hopefully,” he added cautiously, “I’ll get what I deserve now, eh?”

Elektra smirked, nodding. “You certainly will. I’m glad Roland is out of the way, since we obviously have bigger problems now.” She paused, making sure she had Flint’s full attention. “Nate’s been poisoned.”

The former first mate of the Seal frowned.

“Oh, and there’s also corsairs coming up alongside us now,” Elektra added as she moved away from him, letting Flint turn around alone to regard the Southern ship that was arriving upon their left side.

“Of all the bloody luck…” he muttered.

Elektra watched Javed and Vala embracing each other upon the forecastle deck before they began to join her. She resisted a chuckle at the sight, managing to keep a serious face as the two Southerners arrived and awaited her orders. No words were exchanged, however, as the corsair ship stopped alongside them.

A boarding ramp, fitted with spikes much like the ones Aquilonis’s own crew had used when fighting the Seal, slammed into the deck. They could see the crew of the Southerner vessel now, and they were just that: all of them were men of the South, some from different regions than others – Javed and Vala recognized men from various regions, though it seemed to be primarily occupied by men from Kemhet and Deshret.

One particularly tall fellow stepped forward, his skin that was slightly darker than that of an Imperial and his curlier hair indicating that he was a man of Deshret. He wore a dome helmet and chainmail – but the first thing the adventurers noted about his appearance was the fact that his hand rested upon the hilt of a sword strapped to his waist.

He called across decks in a foreign tongue that Elektra could make out only a few words of. Javed replied hastily, and in his speech, Elektra noted the word ‘Aquilonis.’

After hearing his response, the helmet-wearing Captain of the Southern vessel rubbed his thick goatee briefly before smiling. “I recognize the name of your vessel,” he said their own native tongue of Imperial. “The Golden Dragon. A mighty ship captained by a mighty man. Tell me, where is your captain now?”

“He is poisoned,” replied Elektra, catching the other Captain’s attention. “We fought a sea serpent and defeated it, but Captain Aquilonis was poisoned by its venom…”

“By Ra!” declared the Captain, removing his hand from the sword at his side and turning to bark orders at his crew in the language of Deshret. A sailor rushed below deck at his command. Elektra, Vala, and Javed all exchanged glances.

“Well,” she said quietly to them, “this is far from what I expected.”

“I am known as Ghalib,” said the captain, ignoring their quiet exchanges. “I have sent for our healer. She is a priestess of Selket and wise in the ways of poison. She will assist Sir Aquilonis, if you will permit it.”

“Of course we’ll permit it,” replied Elektra, motioning Ghalib aboard. The Southerner smiled and crossed the boarding ramp, waving behind him for some of his crew to follow. The adventurers turned their gaze to the Southern vessel and saw what could only be described as an exotic figure.

A woman wearing long robes gracefully crossed the crude wooden plank connecting the ships. Her dark eyes were highlighted by black paint streaking in a single, thick line away from the corners of her eyes toward her temples – many on board recognized these marks as those famously worn by men and women of Kemhet. Golden trinkets adorned her body and her long, straight hair that was black as pitch. She said nary a word as she regarded Elektra.

“Show her to your Captain,” said Ghalib, “and I promise you, she will aid him.”

Without a word, Elektra led the priestess to the Captain’s cabin, which Jacob was just exiting. He saw the priestess pass him by, startled by the sudden appearance of such a noble cleric – it was hardly something one often saw on the sea. Elektra was speaking to her as they entered the cabin, closing the door behind them.

Flint stepped up to Ghalib as the two ladies left the main deck. “Ahoy there, mate,” he said in as friendly a manner he could muster, sticking out his hand. “The name’s Flint. ‘Tis nice to see a friendly face in a time like this.”

“Yes, isn’t it?” said Ghalib, shaking Flint’s hand in such a firm grip that the Imperial almost regretted offering it.

“I don’t mean to offend ye, friend, but I gotta ask… well, we thought you lot were corsairs, so I was just wonderin’…”

“Nay!” replied the Southerner. “We are no pirates! Would a priestess such as that,” he motioned toward the captain’s cabin of the Dragon, “travel with corsairs? We come from a settlement founded by merchants. We mean to raid no one.”

Flint shrugged. “Just seems a bit odd to me that you ‘n’ some o’ yer crew would be so big ‘n’ fit for war if you come from such a peaceful place.”

Ghalib smiled cleverly. “Ah, I see what you mean now, Flint. Yes, many of us were hired by the merchants, but that does not make us pirates. I believe your term is mercenaries.”

The Imperial nodded and muttered, “Aye, that’s what I thought.”

As Ghalib and a number of his men spoke with Flint and some adventurers on the deck of the Dragon, the lookout on the Southern ship suddenly called out in the language of Deshret. His words caught Ghalib’s attention immediately, and the Southerner moved over to the side of the deck, peering down into the waters below. Curious, many of the adventurers and Flint followed his example.

Approaching from the seas behind them was a group of dinghies occupied by a motley assortment of men… and Roland was at the head of them.

“Aw, bloody hell,” muttered Flint, crossing his arms and looking sour.

“Friends of yours?” asked Ghalib, shooting the Imperial a glance.

“Old enemies,” replied the former first mate. “They tried to kill us for no reason not too long ago. Dunno much reason to show ‘em mercy ‘cept just to be honorable.”

“Then I will make this your choice,” said Ghalib, straightening himself. “I will give no orders to kill them or allow them on board.”

“It’s not my choice, mate… it’s up to the Cap’n.”

“Then take this up with your Captain, and we shall see.”

Flint nodded, glancing about at the adventurers in a rather nervous manner before he slinked off to the Captain’s cabin, slipping inside without so much as a single knock.

Roland ceased his rowing as he neared the two ships. They were close enough to the Dragon that they could be assisted aboard, yet they saw no one taking action of any sort. On the deck above them, Roland and the adventurers could see the faces of various Southerners – no doubt from the other ship – and many adventurers that they recognized as traitors that had joined Nathan’s crew.

Keeping any look of detest far from his features, Roland sat up as straight as possible in the little dinghy and called up to them.
“Ahoy there, friends,” he said, still sounding as disheartened as before. “We request your mercy. My ship is no more, and this is all that remains of my faithful crew. We have rowed for many hours to reach the ship of Sir Nathaniel Aquilonis, hoping…”

“Hoping to take advantage of the honor you know him to have and let him save your hides,” finished another voice, one they all recognized as belonging to Elektra. Just as they had expected, the lovely woman soon appeared on the deck above them along with all the others – and Flint stood beside her. “Really, Roland, I thought you’d be man enough to at least go down with your ship.”

Roland sneered deeply, no longer hiding his true feelings. “Was that your plan, wench?”

Elektra gasped mockingly at him. “My goodness, Roland, I thought you were so honorable and upstanding like you pretended to be when you had me captured. How dare you speak to a lady that way. Now that I’m out of your clutches you’re not as nice anymore, hm?” She paused. “No, it wasn’t my plan, but you’d best watch your quick lip. Nate may be honorable enough to consider sparing your life despite all the things you’ve done to him, but he might change his mind if he catches you speaking to a woman in such a manner.”

Roland said nothing, instead letting out a guttural huff of anger.

“I knew you’d coming running to us like a cockroach,” she went on. “But unfortunately for me, Nate is a far better man than you. He plans to let you and your crew aboard so that maybe we can come to some kind of arrangement. If we can’t, then perhaps he’ll allow me the honor of throwing your worthless ass in the sea.”

“Speaking of your precious ‘Nate,’ where is that… where is he?”

“I’m afraid Aquilonis is in a bit of a bind at the moment. While he and Fintan are busy, I’m in charge. You’ll be speaking to me. Don’t expect me to wear a pretty little mask of lies and pretend to like you, like I’m sure you will do, but when it comes to judging you and your crew, I’ll see if I can more properly replace Nate.” Elektra looked back at the others on board. “Let’s get them up here.”

It wasn’t long before all of the adventurers and Roland had been assisted aboard the Dragon. They observed one crewman carefully cleaning up a smear of some black liquid from the deck, but besides that, most everything seemed to be in order… it was certainly in better condition than the poor Seal.

All of the adventurers from Roland’s ship were arranged in a line across the deck, facing Elektra, Flint, the Southerner captain Ghalib, and various others from the Dragon and the Southerner vessel. Elektra looked each one of them over briefly before she motioned Anya forward.

“Glad to see you’re alive,” she said, nodding to her and letting her join the crew of the Dragon. “I hope Roland didn’t have enough time to treat you with his usual… ‘chivalry.’”

Elektra soon turned back to Roland and his crew of adventurers – but instead of addressing the Captain, she addressed the remnants of his crew.
“I blame none of you for your involvement with Roland,” she said flatly, and Roland gritted his teeth noisily as she spoke. “You’ve been lied to and cheated, so I find you all to be perfectly innocent. I just wanted to begin with that. Now then,” Elektra cleared her throat, “I’ll see if I can pretend to be Aquilonis, seeing as he can’t be here at the moment. Roland, say what you’re going to say.”

Roland stepped forward. “I propose an alliance between our crews. My ship is destroyed and most of my crew is dead. I have clearly been beaten by a better captain. I take no offense from some of the underhanded methods used to best me, as I myself would have most likely taken the same opportunities, had they arisen, and had I been able to. Although we have always been enemies, I respect Sir Aquilonis, and I recognize that I am now at his mercy.”

He paused for a breath before continuing. “I do not wish to continue anymore of these childish attempts to beat one another, as if this were all a game. I say once again, I respect Aquilonis, and I now realize that he is a better captain than I am. If our two crews were to join hands and work together, it is clear that we would accomplish things neither of us could do alone. I am willing to serve on the Golden Dragon under the command of Aquilonis and the rest of his crew.”

“By the gods, he’ll certainly bend over backwards if his life is on the line,” Elektra muttered to Flint, so quietly that only those adventurers from the Dragon nearby could hear her words. Flint resisted chuckling aloud.

She then returned her attention to Roland. “Speaking for Aquilonis, I’ll say that…”

“That it’s flattering,” came the voice of Sir Aquilonis himself. The crew of the Seal were stunned to see that he was being assisted by none other than what appeared to be a priestess of Selket, judging by the golden scorpion headdress she wore and her exotic appearance and attire. By his other side stood Fintan the Sea Dwarf, looking grouchy about something – not that he didn’t always look sour, but it seemed particularly bad at the moment.

Roland managed an odd smile. “Ah, Sir Aquilonis. I’m pleased that you heard my words.”

Nathan stopped before them, his skin rather pale and his eyes vaguely frosted-over, but nonetheless he seemed to be alright. “So am I. I certainly won’t tie you up in the forecastle,” he remarked with a crooked grin.

This actually made Roland laugh as well. “I’m glad to hear it. You’ll have to forgive my past foolishness… I have always been jealous of your ability as an explorer. So what say you? Shall we join forces and end these petty quarrels?” Roland offered his hand, smiling pleasantly. “I give you my word that I shall play no tricks or mutiny against you.”

Aquilonis paused a moment, glancing over the faces of all the adventurers alongside Roland before he shook the hand of the other Captain. “And you have my word that you’ll all be treated fairly as a part of the crew. You and your men are welcome to serve aboard the Dragon.”

A broad grin spread over Roland’s face. “At last we may join our strengths and achieve true glory! But alas, I speak only for myself. We must ask my men if they will join us.” Roland turned about to look over the faces of those adventurers who had accompanied him from the Seal. “Shall you remain with us, friends? We will be more victorious than ever before with our skills and crews combined.”

Now the adventurers had a choice. Would they surrender and serve the captain they had once fought against, or would they try their hand at whatever fate awaited them should they refuse?

While waiting for the adventurers’ answers, Elektra pulled Roland aside to speak with him, out of earshot of any adventurer from either crew… but not Flint, who slipped over to be with them as well.

“I knew Nate would let you live, Roland,” she said quietly, “and maybe he even halfway believes you, or at least wants to believe you, but I sure as bloody hell don’t. Just because you’re on this crew doesn’t mean I have to like you or trust you.” She narrowed her pale blue eyes at the silent Imperial. “If you make any sort of move against us, I’ll be there to remove you of your bloated head. Understood?”

Elektra soon moved away again. Roland glowered at Flint briefly, who merely shrugged at him before leaving also. Roland didn’t move for a while, staring at the deck, but he soon went to rejoin the others.

Meanwhile, Elektra went over to Ghalib, who was watching the entire scene with great interest. “He is an enemy of Sir Aquilonis?” asked the Southerner.

“An old one, yes,” answered Elektra. “We should keep a close eye on him. Tell me, Ghalib, why do you respect Aquilonis so much?”

Ghalib chuckled. “What is there to not respect, my lady? He is an exceptional explorer. As a captain, I have made extensive use of maps and charts of the sea – and I quickly learned that those made by Aquilonis are the best. I have long desired to meet him face to face… though I never expected to so in such a manner. I am pleased I could assist in saving his life.”

The Southerner turned his attention back to the adventurers from the Seal. “I will fully explain myself at a later point, when your captain is not busy. I would also like to speak with this ‘Roland’ fellow. He seems… odd.”

Elektra laughed. “Oh, he isn’t, really. He’s very predictable.”

((Essentially all there is to do right here are two things. The players who were with Roland need to say whether or not they’ll serve under Aquilonis. Those who already sided with Aquilonis\were already on the Dragon are free to do whatever. I’m just curious to see how everyone’s characters will react to these events.
After my next post, this RP topic will be closed and I will begin the sign-ups for Part 2 of this RP.))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#437 Fire-fox

Fire-fox

Daww, it's so cute!

• Nova Member
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

A broad grin spread over Roland’s face. “At last we may join our strengths and achieve true glory! But alas, I speak only for myself. We must ask my men if they will join us.” Roland turned about to look over the faces of those adventurers who had accompanied him from the Seal. “Shall you remain with us, friends? We will be more victorious than ever before with our skills and crews combined.”

Ryan let out a sigh, then said, "Well, what the hell." he turned to Nate then did a sort of mocking salute, "I guess I'll join, anything you would have me do...sir, or can I rest?"

He said these words with some bitterness. He respected Aquilonis, but at the moment he was tired, depressed, and cranky. He had hoped, after he spoke, that they would not be deamed disrespectful for the manner they were spoken in.

Posted Image

#438 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:59 AM

“Shall you remain with us, friends? We will be more victorious than ever before with our skills and crews combined.”

David took a slight step forward. "Well just speaking for myself, but I can't see how one captain is all that much different from another. So, I'm in." While he was still rather angry at Aquilonis, and now Flint as well, for the loss of most of his cherished equipment, there was nothing to be gained by refusing to join his crew. By staying however, he could get the opportunity to replace what he lost, and possibly more besides.
"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#439 Lord Boar

Lord Boar

Semper Fi.

• 2,801 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:38 AM

Sir William, upon seeing Roland in the boats, had gone below deck. Now, he returned, a pair of shackles in one hand. The other hand rested on his sword. He strode purposefully over to the former Captain. His voice rang out across the deck. "Roland. By order of Emperor Doraius I, I place you under arrest for treason against the Empire. You will be taken back to the Imperial City as soon as possible, and stand trial." He said, placing the shackles firmly upon Roland's wrists.

As he took Roland off deck, he whispered into his ear. "Make any attempt to escape, and I will gladly cut you down." The Paladin took the man into a vacant cabin, and after checking to make sure that there was nothing the man could use to escape, he sat him down on the bed. Then, he walked out, locking the door and taking the key with him. A swift walk to his room, and Sir William had his bedroll, and everything that was essential. He laid them in front of the door.

Until he had a secure place to put the man, he would stand guard here. He would sleep lightly, back against the door, sword in hand.

Edited by Lord Boar, 28 July 2010 - 01:39 AM.

#440 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:35 AM

After this intimate moment with Javed, Vala soon returned to her old self again. During the conversation with Captain Ghalib, she stayed mostly quiet, lacking the diplomatic experience her friends posessed. She simply tried to look friendly, even though she was still somewhat shaken by their previous encounter. Things went well, though, and the Captain even sendt a priestess from his ship to help Aquilonis.

Hang on. I've seen Captain Ghalib before! My father ((Khalid D'arthao)) traded with him on occation when i was a little girl. Lots of exotic supplies like black lotus and other peculiar components...

A lookout from the Southerner ship called out, and for the first time Vala noticed that the Seal had been claimed by the ocean. Several dingies approached their vessel, bringing the surviving members of Rolands crew. Vala's heart jumped when she saw how few they were. How could this have happened?

She decided to make herself useful, and make sure all of Rolands crew were dried up and given something to drink. She waved at Javed, not quite sure how he would react, and then she went over to the old magician, Theriot. He seemed to be in dire need for something to eat, scraggly and cold as he was.

"Let's get you something hot in your belly, hm?"

((First interaction with Muffy! Hope i live to regret it...))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users