• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

I decided to rectify the fact that we've got ongoing threads for every other Marvel movie, but none for X-Men.

I know it's not the holy MCU, but personally I really like the X-Men films overall. I still consider X2 one of my favorite superhero flicks. The others range from pretty good to great, IMO, with only the terrible Origins: Wolverine and X-Men 3: The Last Stand (which was thankfully wiped from the timeline by Days of Future Past) dragging them down. I even liked The Wolverine quite a bit, although I feel like I'm the only person who watched it... Of course, I'm slightly biased since I was a 90's kid and the X-Men were always my favorite superheroes. I still think the idea of mutants makes for a better central storyline for a "tons of superheroes" universe than the series of supernatural coincidences behind other big superhero teams.

Plus, you have to admit: Magneto alone is a better villain than all the throw-away badguys of the MCU combined. :P

Anyway, to try to get a conversation going, here are some things:

X-Men: Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut

This extended version of DOFP was released on DVD and Bluray recently, and I just finished watching it last night:

7IjzDTc.jpg

It's not hugely different from the theatrical version of the movie, but it sticks about 17 minutes of footage back into the film, and all of it is about the old actors in the "future" instead of those new young whipper-snappers, which made it good enough for me. It was nice to see Rogue appear and give the old Magneto and Xavier (and Iceman) something to do. It also made a few other things make more sense, like how the Sentinels found their hideout. I don't know why they ever cut this from the movie. I can think of some less interesting scenes they could have cut for runtime.

Re-watching the movie also reminded me how much I actually enjoyed it. I hope the next one is as good. Speaking of which...

X-Men: Apocalypse

Here's some news about the next movie:

There's also rumors of Fox tying the Fantastic Four in with the X-Men to make their own "little MCU" if the new Fantastic Four does well. So, here's hoping it bombs. Because it looks terrible. Please keep it away from my X-Men.  :sick:

Anyway, I guess that's a good enough OP. So... have at it! :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#2 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

Admittedly, I've always been somewhat unfairly biased against the X-men films for one reason: I can't stand the costumes. In particular, growing up Wolverine was one of my favorite superheroes (in large part because of the 90s cartoon), but I was so disappointed that in the actual movie he wears a generic spy or wife-beater outfit instead of his silly yellow suit. Its a superhero movie, put on the darn costume Hugh Jackman.

573160-hugh-jackman-to-quit-wolverine-wh

#NotMyWolverine

That being said, looking back the early movie were pretty good, though I feel the series lost a lot of steam later on (especially in the third part). 

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#3 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:28 AM

Eh, wasn't really a fan of the first three films. They weren't bad, they just weren't for me. I rather like the Wolverine movies and Days of Future Past, even if I think the whole time travel thing was nothing more than a mulligan for the first three movies.

I'm curious to see how Apocalypse goes.

Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Admittedly, I've always been somewhat unfairly biased against the X-men films for one reason: I can't stand the costumes.

Well, when the first movie came out in 2000, there hadn't been a successful superhero movie in years. They were afraid of turning people away with colorful costumes. Today, they know that those can work, so the costumes in the X-movies have been slowly becoming closer to the comics. First Class had the blue and yellow uniforms, and Magneto's helmet has become pretty much his exact comic book helmet now. And they actually went and made Psylocke her 100% comic book self for Apocalypse, so maybe the others will have more comic booky suits in the new movie too, now that Xavier is re-forming the X-Men in earnest.

That being said, looking back the early movie were pretty good, though I feel the series lost a lot of steam later on (especially in the third part).

Which is why Days of Future Past erased the third part. We don't talk about it anymore. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#5 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

the terrible . . . X-Men 3: The Last Stand

standing-in-the-rain-gif.gif

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#6 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

To be perfectly honest the only movies in the series that I can actually watch are X2, DoFP, and First Class (which is IMO the only movie in the entire series to capture the essence of the comics).

What a garbage show for trash people. Thanks I hate it. Life sucks. What's the point of anything? How many hours of my life have I spent on this sunk cost fallacy of a show?

#7 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

You know seeing Oliva Mun rocking the perfect Psylocke only makes me sad because it further cements the fact That I'll never See Captain Britain or any of the other Non-mutant Excalibur team in a movie. I WANT MY CAPTAIN BRITAIN, SPITFIRE, UNION JACK AND BLACK KNIGHT AND ALL THE OTHER COOL BRITISH SUPERHEROES THAT AREN'T OVERLY POPULAR IN THE US, CAUSE America!  :cry: I WANT MY SKRULL JOHN LENNON/BEATLES DANGIT!

/end rant

I wish they had gone with Apocalypse's pale beefcake look though, as I'm not overly fond of this purple tentacle haired nonsense they have going on. Nightcrawler looks weird to me too. Still excited for the movie though

mudkip.png

#8 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

Captain Britain would be difficult to explain (although, the main MCU is already introducing Doctor Strange; so there's that, then there's the possibility of making Excalibur Asgardian in origin), Spitfire is nigh impossible due to Fox's ownership of the Human Torch (original included, oddly enough), Union Jack was mildly screwed over by the mistake they made in the first Captain America movie. As far as the other British superheroes go they could easily find a way to include them in the MCU itself. I mean, seriously, Pendragon/the Commonwealth need some love.

Union Jack is the only A-lister on that list, though. He's one of the more significant characters in Secret Wars, Civil War, the Invaders, New Invaders and so on.

Kinda excited for Apocalypse, though. Sansa Stark as Jean Grey was a good move.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#9 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Captain Britain would be difficult to explain (although, the main MCU is already introducing Doctor Strange; so there's that, then there's the possibility of making Excalibur Asgardian in origin), Spitfire is nigh impossible due to Fox's ownership of the Human Torch (original included, oddly enough), Union Jack was mildly screwed over by the mistake they made in the first Captain America movie. As far as the other British superheroes go they could easily find a way to include them in the MCU itself. I mean, seriously, Pendragon/the Commonwealth need some love.

Union Jack is the only A-lister on that list, though. He's one of the more significant characters in Secret Wars, Civil War, the Invaders, New Invaders and so on.

Kinda excited for Apocalypse, though. Sansa Stark as Jean Grey was a good move.

I'd put money on Union Jack being in the Civil War movie. We don't know who Martin Freeman has been cast as yet, after all.

Anyways, I've always loved the X-Men and Wolverine will probably always be my favourite superhero (it crushes me knowing that I'll never get to see him as an Avenger. Damn you copyrights!)

Like most people, I think 3 was the worst, and unlike most people, I liked Origins: Wolverine (did I say how much I like him?). Regardless, I suppose DoFP erased both of those movies from existence plot-wise.

It's really interesting to me that they have pretty much reset the X-Men movies, with only First Class and Days of Future's Past having any impact plot-wise. It's too bad we have to forget about X and X2, but I digress. Now we get Apocalypse.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#10 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,276 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

I never really liked an X-Men movie until Days of Future Past. They certainly had their moments, but I never enjoyed them the way I do with modern Marvel movies. The early ones are trapped in that era of cringing embarrassment at being comic movies, where not only did everyone have to wear black leather, they also had to throw in quick jabs at what the comics actually were. The tone is very "OK, nerds, we'll do you a favour and make a movie out of your precious little comic book", rather than the, "Yay superheroes!" approach of today.

Then X-Men 3 was godawful rubbish, and Wolverine Origins was somehow even worse (to this day I'm still positive they just forgot to do the final CGI pass on Wolverine's claws in that one scene where he's standing in front of the mirror touching them together and they make sparks for some inexplicable reason). I know people liked First Class, but I really didn't (apart from McAvoy and Fassbender being perfect), and the other Wolverine movie just made no impression on me at all. I remember there was one scene where his healing power is disabled and he has to dig some techno-squid thing out of his own chest, but I was rolling my eyes so hard I couldn't really watch it that closely. "GRRR look at what a tough manly man he is, isn't Wolverine so awesome!?"

But then Days of Future Past was pretty great. Really neat action scenes, all the best actors in the series, no time wasted on the lame Mutants nobody cares about (like Shouting Ginger, Insect Wings Girl, Hedgehog Man, Guy Who Fires Beam From Chest Or Whatever, etc). It was a really good movie all around, and I'm totally going to watch that Rogue cut at some point.

That said, I'm back to skepticism about Apocalypse. I find it hard to keep the enthusiasm going when they insist on hiring a completely new cast for every movie, y'know? I thought we were going to go back to the old guard from the original movies after all that work resetting the timeline in DOFP, but now we're just starting anew all over again with Sansa Stark and a bunch of people we've never heard of. Also, why's Apocalypse gotta be like 5'7"?

x-men-apocalypse-image-alexandra-shipp-o

Like, ey yo bruh, aren't you supposed to be a giant?

#11 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:41 AM

Lets look at the picture, shall we...

ew-cover-1373-xmen_612x380.jpg?itok=EbDw

which surprisingly looks like:

Spoiler

I mean, seriously, I looked at the Picture and thought "Oh my gosh, its another Guardians of the Galaxy.

Really, its scary how the characters look almost exactly the same but with one or two differences. :P

And...is that General Zod in the red coat? :o

That aside, I hope that they make the Horsemen of the Apocalypse  look cool, and have the Antagonists have some sort of vague, twisted religious view like Ultron did.

#12 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:27 AM

Looking at the on-set picture ... I'm pretty sure that one was taken 20 minutes away from where I live. o_O ... Man, that's so weird.

#13 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:51 AM

Looking at the on-set picture ... I'm pretty sure that one was taken 20 minutes away from where I live. o_O ... Man, that's so weird.

That's a good thing!

Now you can go take pictures and then leak them to the world!

#14 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

That's a good thing!

Now you can go take pictures and then leak them to the world!

That was two months ago. XD The new Xmen is currently filming in Montreal, as they did with DoFP, and recently they published in the local newspaper that they were filming in a metal workshop not too far from my town. And looking at the picture, that would fit. o_O

#15 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

Then X-Men 3 was godawful rubbish

tumblr_inline_mmz8dxWc5c1qz4rgp.gif

gTAoKX.gif

#16 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

Sorry Ouflah, X3 was an anticlimactic rushed mess of wasted potential that introduced loads of new characters and then proceeded to do nothing with anyone. :P (But hey, if you've got something to say in its defense, feel free!)

I will defend X2 to the death though. Great movie. There are so many cool scenes. Mostly involving Magneto and Mystique. Magneto's escape from his plastic cell with those two metal balls. Magneto pulling the pins on all the soldiers' grenades. Magneto rebuilding Cerebro, and Mystique whispering "now find all the humans." Mystique every time she kicks positively ridiculous amounts of ass. ... Oh, and the "goodguys" got to do some neat stuff too, I guess. My only fuss about the movie is the way Cyclops didn't get to do anything.

My rankings:

1. X2 & DOFP

2. X1 & First Class

3. The Wolverine

9: X3 & Origins: Wolverine

And yeah, some of the stuff in Apocalypse looks silly so far, and it's a shame it's not about the old cast... but I'll reserve judgment for now, and remain in my default state of cautious optimism. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#17 HalfBaked139

HalfBaked139

Sergeant

• 1,478 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

I've not really been following this as closely as I might otherwise - this has been a weird summer, but I'm pretty impressed with the amount of effort Olivia Munn has been putting in to actually looking competent with a sword.

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but after seeing Hafthor Bjornsson's approximation of swordplay...

http://nypost.com/20...s-sword-skills/

Also, it's got Aaron Rodgers, and he's pretty cool.

#18 Florent

Florent

Vous Ítes des animaux

• Nova Member
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

I just finished watching the Rogue cut. Hoenstly? I see why they cut it. The whole plotline seemed rushed and unnecessary. I think the movie flows better without it. That said, DoFP is even better than I remember.

What a garbage show for trash people. Thanks I hate it. Life sucks. What's the point of anything? How many hours of my life have I spent on this sunk cost fallacy of a show?

#19 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

(But hey, if you've got something to say in its defense, feel free!)

I'm not up for a debate over how good a movie was. I'll just leave this here.

:')

gTAoKX.gif

#20 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:46 PM

I really like the way they're doing this, honestly. As much as I enjoy the original cast, setting up to make movies about Jean, Storm, Cyclops, etc in their days as actual XMen, rather than teachers who are just protecting kids? I am way down for that. Plus, the original cast is kindof getting old... They can only go so long.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Marvel / DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users