• Please log in to reply
448 replies to this topic

#441 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:51 AM

POPULAR

They saw the phenomenal success of the Dark Knight and said "THIS! Yes we've done it, we've struck gold! Make EVERY CHARACTER DARKER AND MORE REALISTIC!" 

The ironic thing is, under all the darkness, TDK is actually a cautiously optimistic film. I mean, you have the boat scene where neither boat can actually bring themselves to blow up the other, completely discrediting the Joker's ideology. You have the fact that Batman doesn't kill the Joker even after what he's put him through. You have Batman and Gordon willing to lie to keep the hope of Harvey Dent alive. 

Oh, and then (in the film coincidentally universally considered the best Batman film) Batman accidentally kills a man to save innocent peoples' lives, then retires for eight years.

Just goes to show you how utterly superficial Synder and DC's understanding of any source material at all really is. The darkness of TDK is what makes hope prevailing all the more powerful, whereas in BvS all you have is darkness for its own sake.

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#442 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

POPULAR

The ironic thing is, under all the darkness, TDK is actually a cautiously optimistic film. I mean, you have the boat scene where neither boat can actually bring themselves to blow up the other, completely discrediting the Joker's ideology. You have the fact that Batman doesn't kill the Joker even after what he's put him through. You have Batman and Gordon willing to lie to keep the hope of Harvey Dent alive. 

Oh, and then (in the film coincidentally universally considered the best Batman film) Batman accidentally kills a man to save innocent peoples' lives, then retires for eight years.

Just goes to show you how utterly superficial Synder and DC's understanding of any source material at all really is. The darkness of TDK is what makes hope prevailing all the more powerful, whereas in BvS all you have is darkness for its own sake.

Di3tA0G.gif

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#443 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hurc beat me to the punch. I don't think anyone could say it better than that. I have my issues with the Nolanverse trilogy, but they have the heart and soul of what Batman is.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo Infinite  - TBA (PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#444 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:56 PM

Something a bit minor and random I forgot to mention in my other post:

Was anyone else bothered by all of the real-life news anchors and talk show hosts they kept shoving onto the screen?

Non-Americans in the thread might not have noticed, but every news reporter and interviewer in BvS was someone I see when I turn on the television here. I found it a bit jarring, honestly. Kinda disrupted my suspension of disbelief. I mean, it was funny when I recognized Lester Holt in that one scene in Die Hard, but this movie just had too many. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

vvv I'm counting him as jarring too. vvv

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#445 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

I was just amazed that Neil Degrasse Tyson agreed to appear in this train wreck.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#446 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:07 PM

Something a bit minor and random I forgot to mention in my other post:

Was anyone else bothered by all of the real-life news anchors and talk show hosts they kept shoving onto the screen?

Non-Americans in the thread might not have noticed, but every news reporter and interviewer in BvS was someone I see when I turn on the television here. I found it a bit jarring, honestly. Kinda disrupted my suspension of disbelief. I mean, it was funny when I recognized Lester Holt in that one scene in Die Hard, but this movie just had too many. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

vvv I'm counting him as jarring too. vvv

I think it's a way to show the whole "It's the real world ! It's realistic ! Life is dark and you can get killed ! Here's a guy with a red cape and another one running around dressed like a bat !"

#447 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,061 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:14 PM

It's darkness that isn't even consistent with its own universe, too. This is a movie that has to set up Batman and Superman as being willing to kill eachother, while also being the movie where Batman and Superman have to become best buds and start the Justice League and protect the world together and also here's Wonder Woman suddenly.

It's kind of like Skyfall, where 90% of the movie is characters telling Bond that he's old, he's over the hill, we don't need you because we have drones, go and retire with the other useless old men, and then the movie ends with everyone wanting Bond to be the best agent in their new spy agency.

It really is hard to picture Zack Snyder doing anything but looking through comic books and making punch sound effects under his breath, because he only ever shows the most superficial understanding of what's going on. I mean, even down to the order of events in the movie; it's insane to me that the actual titular fight is in the middle, and then there's forty five minutes more fighting afterwards. The grudge match of the century, a fight to the death, and then it just wraps up like no big deal and the two go off to do some more fighting immediately afterwards. Forget any narrative significance, it's just "We're doing the fight now! OK, that's done, now we're doing Doomsday! THEN A NUKE! THEN DOOMSDAY EXPLODES LIKE FIVE TIMES! BRAKOW BOOOM BSHHH! Then Batman's all PEW PEW PEW and Superman goes WHOOOSH PATOOOOW AND THEN DOOMSDAY EXPLODES SOME MORE!"

I feel like every time Snyder has a moment of self-doubt he just throws another Christ metaphor in there to reassure himself of how deep and meaningful his movies are.

#448 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,061 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:24 AM

Trailer for the even longer version:

It seems like there's a lot of new footage in the African village part at the start of the movie, so maybe this cut will explain better how on Earth anyone would have believed that Superman shot a whole town full of people. It kind of looks like there might be more scenes of Clark investigating Batman, which would be great. I think that footage of Batman on the security camera might have been from when he steals the Kryptonite at Lexcorp.

Probably won't fix Martha, but I'll at least watch it.

#449 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:23 AM

Probably won't fix Martha, but I'll at least watch it.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Marvel / DC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users