NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Rimegard

11 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Dump the punch, you GET the punch!

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

The longship pulled into port, and Eydis quickly allowed everyone to disembark. Many of the vikings were already describing the strange river-monsters to various dockworkers, while others went about checking the ship for signs of damage. Eydis, however, strode up to the adventurers as they gathered their bearings again, some of them undoubtedly happy to be standing on stable ground once more.

"Thank you again for your generosity, my friends," said Eydis. "And you were quite impressive in battle. I leave you with my blessing, and may Freyja bless you as well. My men and I will be in the city for a few days before we set sail for Baldur's Fjord again. If I can be of any service in the meantime, don't hesitate to ask."

She then waved them farewell before returning to her ship and passing out some kind of orders to her crew. The adventurers, however, headed away from the port to take a look around in the city...

---

Ingi disembarked with the rest of the crew, but as the adventurers walked off, he quickly caught up to Huo and gently took hold of his arm.

"Please, my friend, hold a moment," he said, a strange hint of desperation in his voice. "Come, I want to speak with you before you disappear in the city."

He motioned for Huo to follow him, and Ingi led the way several paces aside from any activity, in a corner of the docks with some crates. The viking then turned to face Huo again, and it was only now that Huo realized how pale the man looked.

"You cannot know how pleased I am to have found you," Ingi said. "I've searched for someone with the Gift for nearly all my life - I was told I was mad... But it's true. You have it, don't you? The Gift... Magic? Please - you can be honest with me. I'm on your side. You already know this."

---

Everyone came into the city proper, though Caiden silently hung a ways back, by himself. As they left behind from the various ships and river boats and those who fussed over them, they realized the grandeur of the city. All around them, the architecture was strikingly new Imperial, buildings made of stone and wood - but, occasionally, they could certainly make out the influence of Nordling culture. So it was true, then, that Rimegard was a blend of Achaean and Northerner... at least as well as any Imperial city could be, as some animosity undoubtedly still hung in the air.

Some commoners on the street saw a few of their number - namely Valya - and either turned around and took another street, or else gave them a wide berth. Local watchmen patrolled dutifully, keeping good order - and, naturally, eying a few of them with suspicion, though they seemed to be getting mixed signals, as they were traveling with Imperial officials. They would get no small amount of scrutiny here, they had no doubt.

But, regardless of any amount of scrutiny or suspicion, they were free to go wherever they pleased within the city - or to simply leave and continue on their journey.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Dalton the Spider Suit Guy

Dalton the Spider Suit Guy

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

• Nova Patron
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

Agethar looked around at the City of Rimegard with a mixture of awe and disgust.

The city was quite nice to look at, as while he had worked as a Venator, he had come to appreciate Achaean architecture. However, even he wasn't as stupid not to know why this city was even here: it was the Empire's attempt, albeit failed, to discourage the people of the north from attacking them.

The Venator would prefer to be anywhere else rather than be here.

---

Malvolio looked around the city with a critical eye.

"Impressive," he muttered to himself "for the Skeira family's glory project."

---

As Huo Shiye stepped off the both, he muttered the spell that would help him regain his eyesight. He had finally gotten his wound tended to by one of the elves who had been on board the ship, but his robe was still stained with blood from earlier.

When he was finished, he began to move off with the others, only to be pulled aside by Ingi - again. 

"Please, my friend, hold a moment, come, I want to speak with you before you disappear in the city."

Huo followed the man into a corner of the docks, where they could talk without being disturbed.

"You cannot know how pleased I am to have found you, I've searched for someone with the Gift for nearly all my life - I was told I was mad... But it's true. You have it, don't you? The Gift... Magic? Please - you can be honest with me. I'm on your side. You already know this."

The Priest paused for a second, looking suspiciously at the man before replying "...Yes."

He took a longer look at the man, using his spirit sight to see what he could see as he said "And what do you mean by 'I am your friend' and 'I'm on your side'?"

#3 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Rimegard almost made Valya miss the longship. Being among her own sort of people, even if only for a couple days, had warmed her heart; Rimegard, despite the faint northern influences, was very much the opposite. She had never been to the city before, and she disliked it almost immediately.

"We should press on" she opined to the group. They had so far expended very little of their supplies, so there was no need to linger. Besides, even with the Imperials in their group, from the stares and reactions she got, she had that feeling that if they stayed too long there would be trouble—one way or another.

Allya found Rimegard magnificent. Despite her wanderings, she had never been to the city, and could hardly stop looking around as they walked. She wondered if they could spend the night...

But hardly had she thought so than another of the group—the muscular Nordling woman—suggested they continue immediately. Allya almost spoke up in opposition, but restrained herself. While she would prefer to spend a day in the city, if the others wanted to press on she would not argue; she would not see them hold back on her account.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#4 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

Garandros scowled, as was his way. A city like this was exactly what he'd hoped to avoid. The ragtag group was attracting a number of stares from locals and guards alike, and no doubt one of the more loose-lipped of their number would say something to someone sooner rather than later. This needed to be a quick stop.

"We should press on." Valya broke the silence, echoing his sentiment.

"I agree." Garandros was standing close to her, and subtly adjusted his position to stand at her side. The two looked intimidating together, and he was hoping the rest would fall in line. This wasn't a holiday, after all. "We have nothing to gain by staying in the city."

-------

Elnira was ecstatic. She'd never been to Rimegard, and she couldn't wait to find out more.

"You see, Mr Whiskers," she explained to the decidedly uninterested cat, "Rimegard has a fascinating blend of Achaean and Northrim culture. I read about its history but nothing beats some field research!"

Noticing more than a few baffled stares from both strangers and her companions, she fell silent, but pulled out her notebook and started to sketch the facade of a nearby building.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#5 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

Korvarl had had trouble living down the faint embarrassment of not catching that little scrawny thing ‘Mister Whiskers’ before Elnira did. Granted, he was the only one who seemed to notice that was the case, or that it was an embarrassing happenstance at all.

Whatever. I know it’s deservin’ of great shame!

Fortunately, nothing much else happened on the way to Rimegard. While the trip passed fairly quickly for him - the advantages of long lifespans, and all - the others seemed to be champing at the bit, which resolved itself into some very great impatience to get out of the city by the time they got into it. The dwarf sighed as several members of their party voice their loud opinions about such things, silencing a few others who seemed on the verge of disagreeing.

Korvarl, for one, wanted a beer before they went on.

"We have nothing to gain by staying in the city." One big, scarred-looking fellow decided. Silvershield wondered if he was insane.

Clearly yer all insane.” The dwarf piped up, crossing his arms as he stood before the naysayers wanting to move on. “I, fer one, am gonna have a drink. And seein’ as I have th’ map, if any o’ ye want to know were yer goin’, I suggest y’join me.” He grinned smugly, before turning on his heel and trundling into town in the hopes of finding a pub or tavern or something in-between.

As they - or he, anyway - wandered along, though, he realized Elnira was speaking. All at once, she had his full atten-

"You see, Mr Whiskers..."

...tion.

She was talking to her cat. Her decidedly uninterested cat, for that matter. "Rimegard has a fascinating blend of Achaean and Northrim culture. I read about its history but nothing beats some field research!"

“Uh…” Korvarl glanced around, noting the stares Elnira was receiving… but fortunately she, herself, fell silent, pulling out a notebook to start sketching. He blinked, subtly approaching the little dwarven woman to see what it was she was drawing.

He sighed, a tad exasperated, as it turned out to just be a building.

“Why dontcha jus’ come along an’ have a drink with me, lass?” He asked, leading the way again. “Th’ buildings’ll be here when next y’visit.” If we g’t through this, anyway...

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

At length, Huo replied, "...Yes." He took a longer look at the man, using his spirit sight to see what he could see as he said, "And what do you mean by 'I am your friend' and 'I'm on your side'?"

Ingi frowned. "I mean that I am an ally of mages. They are oppressed throughout the Empire, and even Northrim, and this should not be - perhaps, as a foreigner, you don't know the depths of their hatred and the horrors they commit upon those with the Gift. There are others like you who would have your allegiance and offer you aid, if you would have it."

---

As everyone decided to move on, they started walking down the city street to notice both Huo and Caiden missing from their number, apparently off doing something else, perhaps taking advantage of the civilization while they could. Still, it wouldn't take them long to navigate out of the city and continue on their path.

((Going to give a little more time for the people doing other things, namely Huo, before I keep pushing us forward.))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

“Why dontcha jus’ come along an’ have a drink with me, lass? Th’ buildings’ll be here when next y’visit.”

Elnira looked around hesitantly.

"I suppose we do have some time while we wait for the others." She closed her notebook with a snap. "Let's go!"

#8 Dalton the Spider Suit Guy

Dalton the Spider Suit Guy

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

• Nova Patron
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

“Why dontcha jus’ come along an’ have a drink with me, lass? Th’ buildings’ll be here when next y’visit.”

"I suppose we do have some time while we wait for the others. Let's go!"

Agethar perked up at the sound of a potential meal and moved over to the two dwarves.

"If ye don't mind," the Venator said "I would be happy tae join ye; me belly hungers fer food this early in th' mornin'."

Maugrimm - who had remained oddly quite throughout most of this journey - gazed that the female dwarf's cat with lazy interest.

---

"We should press on." 

"I agree. We have nothing to gain by staying in the city."

Clearly yer all insane. I, fer one, am gonna have a drink. And seein’ as I have th’ map, if any o’ ye want to know were yer goin’, I suggest y’join me.”

"The Dwarf is right," Malvolio said, glancing at the others "we should get a chance to resupply before going on the road again."

---

"I mean that I am an ally of mages. They are oppressed throughout the Empire, and even Northrim, and this should not be - perhaps, as a foreigner, you don't know the depths of their hatred and the horrors they commit upon those with the Gift. There are others like you who would have your allegiance and offer you aid, if you would have it."

Huo stood quietly before responding to Ingi.

"You misunderstand; the East is strange on its policies on magic; it is tolerated in some places, and in others it is not. I have had to pass through several such places on my travels, and the Empire and the North are not the first places I've been threatened with death for something I did not ask to have."

"And I have met others who offered me aid; if your offer is anything like their's I will have no part of it. I will not waste my life chasing the ambitions of the servants of a Mage Emperor."

#9 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:32 PM

"I suppose we do have some time while we wait for the others." She closed her notebook with a snap. "Let's go!"

Korvarl brightened as she agreed without argument, and he let her take the lead by a few paces before hustling after her. He was about to fist-pump in victory - yes, he was just that proud of his performance - when he noticed the heavy tread of one of the larger, bearded, northern humans. By instinct at this point, the dwarf warrior tensed.

"If ye don't mind," the Venator said "I would be happy tae join ye; me belly hungers fer food this early in th' mornin'."

Silvershield sighed, relaxing again. “‘Course I don’t mind, nordlin’. I invit’d every’ne, didn’t I?” He asked rhetorically, saving his gestures of victory for later as he followed close by Elnira.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#10 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Garandros ground his teeth in frustration as the dwarf led a procession away for a drink. So much for that idea.

He looked round at Valya, making no attempt to hide his irritation.

"It looks like we have no choice. Are you coming?"

-------

Elnira whistled happily as the group walked. She had many talents, but music really was not one of them. Mr Whiskers hissed in protest. Elnira held him close regardless. She was a little unnerved by the Venator's bloodhound and its interest.

"I wonder what the food's like in Rimegard?" she said, as much to herself as to Korvarl. "It will be wonderful to have a warm meal and a nice drink after spending time on that ship!"

#11 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

Valya groaned—inaudibly—deep in her throat as the dwarf stubbornly decided to delay their quest for a drink.

"It looks like we have no choice. Are you coming?"

"I could always throw him over my shoulder and carry him out of the city" she said dryly, before shrugging and following the others. Although, she wasn't entirely joking...

Allya frowned slightly as Korvarl all but extorted the others into staying in the city. While she appreciated being able to stay in Rimegard for a time, the dwarf's attitude disturbed her.

Such heavy-handed actions would endear no-one to him, and they would need to be united when the reached their destination—of that she was certain. Still, for the moment she followed the others to see what she could see of Rimegard.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#12 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,116 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Some of the group split up and wandered about, but the interest in the city didn't last as long as one might imagine. Those wondering why anyone would want to spend time in the city were given a good reason why when Caiden showed up again, clean and smelling nice. Apparently, he had found a common bath house after all the time spend sweating and fighting on the ship.

Regardless of personal hygiene, the group carried onward. They soon left Rimegard behind, passing out onto the road leading to Arrowfall. Their trip was uneventful overall, at least until they came to one integral moment: when they had to decide exactly how to approach the Jagged Edge...

((Area transition: Arrowfall))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users