oG3qdyV.gif

2004-2018

#7562 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Member
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:11 PM

Not exactly game news directly, but Totalbiscuit has died.

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#7563 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:33 AM

EDIT - And there's a Battlefield V now:

Awful trailer, awful scripting. All four of the 'hero' characters look disgusting to me in the context of that cartoonish video. If the intent with Battlefield V is for it to be a quirky inglorious basterds style of game then the look is fine but I am assuming the game is supposed to be semi-serious as with all Battlefield games. 

As usual the 'omg theres a female/black/asian person in my game' raises it's ugly head again (especially as the poster soldier is... shock... a woman) so I will offer my commentary on that: I am a supporter of a diversity factor in games and I think nearly all games should allow you to be who you want to be. Exception can be made for historical based games  ... for the sake of history... but I don't think applying a diversity factor to historical games needs to break history so long as it's reasonably contextually correct. For example; I think the way BF1 handled diversity was fair to history - there was a good variety to the maps which covered all the key areas of the conflict (even if it did take some DLC to actually get the meat of WW1 on the western front). The allied factions had a mix of different soldiers and the Russian faction had woman on maps. In some cases particular soldiers were specific to specific maps. I think DICE overstepped by including black soldiers in the German faction because a) they did not have them historically and b) diversity factor was met with allied forces anyway. But other than that, they did well.

The way they can be fair with diversity in Battlefield V is to simply just build their game around it. People of all races and yes, all sexes, fought in a variety of roles in WW2 so just make maps that are contextually based. Now, allied forces did not allow front line female soldiers so I wouldn't expect to see a female character shoved onto the Normandy beach landings map. But why not include a female spy/resistance fighter on a night time D-day map based around the airborne aspect? You can even put woman in the german army too if you make a map around the fall of Berlin (and play as pensioners and children!! - joking) Russian maps are also the obvious place to have female soldiers.

From the sounds of it -  DICE has the intention of making variety as they want to take the players to parts of the war that have not been shown before. I cannot imagine what as nearly all parts have been done to death with exception being to the Fall of France and the Pacific war on the Asian continent.

EDIT *If there is anything offensive about the cover poster - it's that DICE marketing feel that this woman MUST go to war with eyeliner*

tk9sbgvu0xcbmlbca0yd.jpg

#7564 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:12 PM

Guess what's coming to Steam?

I've never played Killer 7, so that's pretty neat.

#7565 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:22 PM

Breaking news: Bethesda be teasin'

Bethedsa-Please-Stand-By_05-29-18.jpg

And, according to insiders (who also be teasin'), this is not Starfield, and also not a remaster of a previous Fallout. So the smart money is on something like Fallout Shelter, but who cares about smart money? This is E3 time! Time to get super hyped about everything for no reason at all! Maybe Bethesda's made a whole new engine this ti- lol, no, that's too much to hope for.

Also the PC Gaming Show is teasing “world premiere game announcements and teasers” from Sega, Square Enix, Crytek, Double Fine Productions, and more, so that should be good. Sega? On PC? Is Daddy going to be able to play his Yakuza stories on the personal computer?

EDIT - There's a new Fallout:

It doesn't seem like there's any information out there right now, other than that it's in Vault 76 (is that anything significant? I don't know my Fallout lore). Find out more at E3, I guess.

#7566 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

EDIT - There's a new Fallout:

It doesn't seem like there's any information out there right now, other than that it's in Vault 76 (is that anything significant? I don't know my Fallout lore). Find out more at E3, I guess.

Vault 76 was a Virginian area Control Vault (IE that's no outrageous Vault Tec testing, just take people, get them in the vault, and reopen after X years or if given the Vault Tec All Clear Signal, spoiler alert, that signal never sends).  It's set a mere 25 years after the Bombs fell, meaning it's a fresh, Post-Great War Virginia set in a time BEFORE the BoS even took down the Supermutant Master's Army, before the NCR, before the Enclave conflicts, before the rise of the Minutemen and reveal of the Institute.  For Context: Fallout 1 is set in 2161, a whole 59 years AFTER the events of this game.  

This is going to be about Vault 76 attempting to reclaim and rebuild the United States in a brand new world.  One of fresh mutant animals, Supermutants, ghouls, and an absence of law.  

Because it's set so soon after the Great War, it's a Vault numbered 76, which was also unveiled on 2076, 300s after the founding of the United States, it's likely we may a see the Enclave make an appearance, and maybe even in a more positive viewpoint this time around.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7567 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

It's just gonna be a Pugbuhnite.

2004-2018

#7568 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:00 PM

It's just gonna be a Pugbuhnite.

Not pessimistic enough, I'm afraid. According to Kotaku, it's a Rust/DayZ online hunger-meter-manager with a Fallout skin. War (against hunger) never changes.

#7569 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:12 PM

So, its like Minecraft, but with no building?

#7570 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

To be honest, I genuinely don't know what you actually do in those Rust-likes, other than, like, collect stuff to survive. Is there a main goal or anything? Every story I hear about people who try those games is basically "I was confused, then some more experienced player came and took all my clothes at gunpoint" :P

Ubisoft is teasing the new Assassin's Creed ahead of E3, entitled Odyssey (heavily rumoured to be set in Greece):

ACO-Tease_05-31-18.jpg

My first reaction was "Isn't that what the last one was called?". I actually had to go and look it up; it was called Origins, for the record, and you'd think I'd know that because I played it to completion, but there you go. I thought Origins was great, though, so I think I might be back in on Assassin's Creed again.

And finally, we have a potential leak of some Nintendo E3 games, originating from the darkest nether region of the Internet which shall not be named (I know), but with a vote of confidence from Destructoid that lends it an air of credibility:

Switch-Titles-Rumor-Leak_05-31-18.jpg

Overcooked 2 and Killer Queen Black are the only games that haven't already been announced or appeared on other platforms. Overcooked is obvious, but I wonder what Killer Queen Black could be? Bayonetta 3 subtitle? She is a queen who kills and wears black...

#7571 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

I wish Bethsoft were working on the next Elder Scrolls title instead of a genre-bandwagon-jumping Fallout cashgrab. :P Isn't it the Elder Scrolls turn now, after Fallout 4? Or are we just going to keep remastering Skyrim for all eternity, and explore all the unexplored areas of Tamriel in the extremely lackluster Elder Scrolls Online? Ugh...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#7572 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

The Elder Scrolls? What's that, old man? Was that one of those ancient Skyrim prequels? Anyway I can't wait for Bethesda to announce Skyrim 2 at E3 this year.

Hey speaking of RPGs, though, CDPR has just trademarked Cyberpunk 2077 ahead of the big show next week. It seems weird that they hadn't already done that, to be honest, but I don't know how these things actually work. I can't wait to finally see some footage of that bad boy, even if it might still be years away.

#7573 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

Or are we just going to keep remastering Skyrim for all eternity

Scorp, the ZX Spectrum port of Skyrim will be out before TESVI, I hate to be the one to break it to you.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#7574 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:06 AM

Battlefield V details:

https://www.pcgamer....-battlefield-5/

The bit that I was looking for in this article was the stuff about DLC, progression and that sort of thing. Essentially there will not be any paid maps or paid advantages which is great news that comes with a catch. How will EA make money? By purchasing cosmetics. You can earn xp towards cosmetics but lets be honest -  any cosmetic items you actually want will be extremely grindy to get. Want to deck out in full SS or 101st airbourne uniform? That will be $10 or 200 hours of game time please. This will look exactly like where Battlefront ultimately got to.

The thing that caught my eye though is 'Tides of War'. Essentially, they are going to release new maps and content around stages of the war. So to start with will be the Fall of Europe. As you go through each stage you will be able to unlock cosmetics and upgrades for your collection of soldiers. I'm not keen on that idea as I think this will alienate casual players who want to dip in and out. It also means it will take months and months until we get to the maps people will really want AKA D-Day. 

BF1 had a total of 26 maps by the end and covered all the key points of WW1. Assuming they continue the globe spanning coverage and release in a schedule similar to BF1 then my guess for maps would be as listed below. However, I think it is more likely they will drip feed these and release 2 or 3 at a time.

Phase 1 (8 maps on release) British + German factions (sadly missing french faction!)

• Norway campaign
  • Netherlands (infantry only)
  • Fall of France - Ardenne breakthrough (vehicle map)
  • Fall of France - Dunkirk (conquest assault)
  • Battle of Britain (skies map)
  • Africa (infantry only)
  • Africa
  • Africa (vehicle map)

Phase 2 (6 maps) Eastern Front - Russia + Germans

• Russian Maps x 6 incl:
  • Opening of Barbarossa
  • Battle of Stalingrad
  • Battle of Moscow
  • Battle of Kursk (vehicle map)
  • x 2 maps for russian offensives later in war

Phase 3 (6 maps) Debut of US faction, Italians and Japanese

• Op Torch
  • Italy map
  • Italy Map
  • Pacific Map
  • Pacific Map
  • Pacific Map (navy centric like the Heligoland map in BF1)

Phase 4 (6 maps) End game.

• D-DAY (landings)
  • D-DAY (airbourne)
  • Another French campaign
  • Market garden
  • Battle of the bulge
  • Battle of Berlin

#7575 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:14 AM

I wish Bethsoft were working on the next Elder Scrolls title instead of a genre-bandwagon-jumping Fallout cashgrab.  :P Isn't it the Elder Scrolls turn now, after Fallout 4? Or are we just going to keep remastering Skyrim for all eternity, and explore all the unexplored areas of Tamriel in the extremely lackluster Elder Scrolls Online? Ugh

Apols for double post but keeping it seperate...

If this Fallout game is online as rumoured then it's probably been farmed off to a smaller studio and their main is (hopefully) working on ES VI. (btw I really hope it's High Rock or Elsweyr but I will settle for Daggerfall).

ES Online is strange. I have it and it is enjoyable...ish but it feels really weird to play like 1 part skyrim to 3 parts MMO game. If you play it in 3rd person it's like every other MMO. If you play in first.. you just wish you were playing Skyrim instead.

#7576 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,108 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

I do wonder if EA is going to try to create a subscription like Fortnite's Battle pass for Battlefield with side challenges. $5 for 3 months of unlockable cosmetic content. Or free tier play daily to earn barely anything but like 5 items. Knowing EA they probably will pitch it with a $15 price tag.

Next Batch of consoles...........

PS4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops - 2016

Scorpio - 6 Tflops - 2017

NX - 2017 - Mario Mushrooms, and Link's Hat powered device. 

PS5 - 2019/2020 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

XBNext - 2019/2020/2021 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

-My old forum.

#7577 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

Hey Deadfire's here!

Oh, and speaking of Fortnite, that game is just about 100% confirmed for Switch, since Nintendo has already pushed out an update for it on their eShop. I'm guessing it'll be the "And it's available directly after the show!" surprise at Nintendo's Direct.

Phil Spencer is saying the Microsoft E3 show should be about 100 minutes long.

Kotaku's sources say that Crackdown 3 will be delayed to 2019, so I don't know if Microsoft's going for The Last Guardian's record or what, but that game seems like it's in a bad place. And I guess Microsoft can't cancel it, because they've done that too many times this generation and one more would be a PR nightmare, so they just have to keep plugging away at it.

And finally, Nintendo's billing their E3 Direct as:

One week to go! Tune in to our Nintendo Direct: E3 2018 video presentation on 12/06, 18:00 CEST to get a look at #NintendoSwitch titles for 2018, including the recently announced Super #SmashBros game. #NintendoE3

But you never know with Nintendo. They said the same thing last year about only doing 2017 titles, but then they showed a bunch of stuff that didn't release in 2017. You can't trust Reggie.

#7578 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

Just so this doesn't get lost amongst the E3 bombshells: Sega is bringing Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami to the PC! Yakuza 0's Steam store page is up now (it'll be out in August), and it's only $20, which is absolutely insane. To give you some context, the game only just came out on PS4 last year at the full $60, and Yakuza 0 is not a small game; I played it for 70 hours and didn't even scratch the surface of all the stuff there is to do (fun stuff, not Ubisoft stuff!). And if you buy it from Fanatical you can get it for only $16, which is even insane-er.

You guys, I don't want to sound like a huge shill, but I'm going to do it anyway because I absolutely adore these games and I'd love to see more people experience their brilliance. If you've ever read any of my dozens of giant, gif-laden posts about Yakuza games in the "What Are You Currently Playing" thread and thought about maybe one day giving one of these games a go, NOW'S THE TIME! Yakuza 0 is the best jumping off point to get into the series, and even if you don't play any of the other Yakuzas it's just a fantastic self-contained game in its own right. I honestly think it's one of the best games of this generation, and it should be even better on PC.

#7579 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:56 AM

So I heard you guys like POST-E3 CATCH-UPS!

- There's a new Octopath Traveler available on the Switch eShop. It's basically just the full game with a three hour time limit, and your progress will transfer over into the full game

- Capcom plans to release both Resident Evil 2 Remake and Devil May Cry 5 before March 31st 2019. RE2 is dated for January 25th, so presumably DMC5 will be some time in March. What a time to be alive.

- Shadow of the Tomb Raider has separate difficulty levels for combat, puzzles and exploration, which I think is wonderful. I actually find the combat in these games uncommonly easy on the default difficulty (and I'd never consider myself especially good at third-person shooting), but I'd be happy to ramp the puzzle difficulty up.

- The studio that ported Doom and Wolfenstein 2 to Switch is going to be announcing another "major port" for Switch next month

EDIT - I thought this was interesting:

DfxspKyWsAAjG0L.jpg

Here we see concrete proof of Bioware never making another Mass Effect game again.

Also I just want you guys to know that the lettering on Leon's gun in the RE2 artwork says 'Machilda', because someone just transcribed it straight from the katakana and didn't know that Leon has a gun named 'Matilda', and if this mistake goes unnoticed all the way to the final game's box art I'm going to be so happy:

riccardo-minervino-e3-cover.jpg?15287819

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users