Uncharted

• Please log in to reply
937 replies to this topic

#921 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,898 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:33 PM

I think The Last of Us was about three fewer 'push Ellie around on a floating pallet' puzzles away from absolute perfection, so I suppose I just don't share the sentiment about Nu Naughty Dog being in any way inferior to Classic Naughty Dog. I luuurved that game.

And, I don't know, I'm fine with Nate having a brother. Nate thought he was dead, he got better, now he's back; Uncharted 2 and 3 introduced plenty of never-before-mentioned significant characters from Nate's past, too. The guy's been around the block a few times, y'know? The frequent hints at an extensive Uncharted lore, with every character having been on oodles of adventures that are only ever mentioned in passing is one of the things I've always liked about the series. It's like the scene in Empire Strikes Back when Han and Lando meet again, only it happens like three times in each game :P

#922 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:08 AM

I agree 100%. Cutter, Chloe, Eddy, Harry - all of those guys (and gal) had 'history' with Nate that's only ever hinted at. I don't think it's so unreasonable to assume Nate had given up on the search over the last few years in which the other games were set and reappears to kickstart another adventure. To me, that's a very Uncharted start to a story.

I'm really excited about the game and that's only amplified by that sweet multiplayer gameplay and those trailers which are hyping me up wonderfully. I wonder if I can convince someone to buy me a PS4 for Christmas...

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#923 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,898 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:13 AM

GAAAAAWD, get this game into my Playstation 4 right now please because it looks amazing. I'm only watching this trailer once and I'm going to try and forget everything I saw so it's fresh when I play it for reals, but some of those bits are already burnt into my mind. I saw swimming! Swimming underwater like Tomb Raider Underworld! If there are sharks I'm pretty sure I'm going to die.

#924 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:26 AM

Joel Troy Baker Sam: "These people, they, like, don't understand, bruh"

[shows images of Sully and Elena]

Give me a break, we've known Sully for a trilogy and one prequel spinoff and tons of other media and we've known Elena for the trilogy. That ugly ape just got here. This "brother" BS is still so contrived. Those flashbacks only make it worse. In some, the Nate-that-didn't-look-like-young-Nate-from-UC3 was in his teens or so, older than he was in the UC3 flashback. Okay, so where was "Sam" then? Why were we told a billion times that Nate never had anyone until he met Sully when he was about 14? Talk about a giant retcon, Druckmann. I thought you were supposed to be such a wonderful writer, lulz.

There are so many things I could say about all of this, but none of it would do any good. Uncharted is disgraced now (especially between this coming out and that pathetic excuse for a "HD remaster" that all the new PS4 players have to play and imagine that the Uncharted trilogy was ever like that - that's a whole separate rant, because Naughty Dog had it farmed out to some silly company whose sole livelihood is crappily porting games to the PS4 and then mucking them up a lot in the process).

I'll just try to keep my trap shut and sit in the corner and not rain on anyone's parade. If you hear something, it was my soul crying.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#925 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,177 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

I just want to know why they thought making Nate's brother look like Bruce Springsteen was a good idea.

Alternatively, my tax return just came in and I'm thinking about seeking out a PS3 and finally playing Uncharted.  Is there some kind of three pack I can get for the first three?

lWZ8e6F.png

#926 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:03 AM

On the PS3, I don't think there's a formal boxed set. But the games are really cheap at Gamestop, if you're interested in them. If you get a PS4 though, they come bundled with fancier graphics. Wolfy doesn't much like those versions though, and she's the expert here.

Edit: Quick Search of Gamestop shows the three games on Ps3 for 5 smackers each, while the "Trilogy" for PS4 is 60 smackers. Reminds me of when I bought the PS2 versions of the 3 DMCs and the guy kept trying to sell me the HD version for double the price. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#927 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:05 AM

I just want to know why they thought making Nate's brother look like Bruce Springsteen was a good idea.

Alternatively, my tax return just came in and I'm thinking about seeking out a PS3 and finally playing Uncharted.  Is there some kind of three pack I can get for the first three?

I don't think that they ever actually released an Uncharted trilogy pack for PS3, sadly enough. At least, not in the US. They made one in certain countries overseas (like Korea), but not here.

Your best bet is probably just to get the Uncharted dual pack and then buy Uncharted 3 separately (or else get the Uncharted 3 PS3, which was - if I remember right - the last round of PS3s that were released, so I'm sure it's nice and slim and light and quiet and fancy).

Be sure to play them in order for the best experience. Don't let the comparative clunkiness of Drake's Fortune turn you off like it does for some people. It's a great game (I would actually still call it my second favorite of the series, pretty close to UC2, all things considered), and it only gets better from there as it builds up to Uncharted 2, which is a masterpiece. :P

EDIT: Yes, the HD remaster on PS4 is a piece of garbage. It's artistically bankrupt because they screwed around with models, textures, and the color keys of entire levels for no reason, and they even moved around some triggers and mucked up some facial animations and totally screwed up Nate's appearance in Drake's Fortune. Also, it's loaded with graphical glitches that were never there before. The whole thing makes me sad, and I could write you an essay about just how bad it is. Suffice to say, it's nothing like what the Uncharted trilogy is, so please, don't play that first and let that be how you view the Uncharted series.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#928 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

Naughty Dog seems to have stolen some Assassin's Creed IV concept art and used it in a recent trailer. At least they edited out the assassin, eh?

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#929 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,898 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:13 AM

Uncharted 4 is out. You. Guys. The real life disc is sitting in my real life Playstation 4 home entertainment console and I have been playing it for realsies and oh man it's really good!

So, it doesn't feel like the first three games. I'm thinking it's going to be a longer, more Last-of-Us-y experience, with a little more downtime between the big setpieces. The game takes its tie setting everything up, introducing its characters, and generally letting you just soak up the atmosphere. After maybe three hours or so, I'm only just beginning to get into big gun/stealth fights. But I like it. It isn't blasting me in the face with incredible setpieces (yet), but I know they're going to be there, and I'm enjoying just wandering about exploring levels. The platforming is still pretty much the same old automatic sticky stuff, but the level design has actually been quite clever and fun to clamber about. Plus Nate's new climbing animations are pretty much endlessly enjoyable to watch, even when you're just pointing the analogue stick this way and that.

What little combat I have seen so far, though, is exactly what I was dreaming about for this game. It's the stealth mechanics from The Last of Us, with the weapons and ammo plentifulness of Uncharted (and regenerating health, obviously), and it feels amazing. You stealth your way around, get spotted, shoot it up, climb up something in a desperate attempt to escape, lose the bad guys again, screw up, work it out again; it's the best. It almost feels a little easy at this point (playing on the default difficulty), but I'm still early in the game.

Everything is gorgeous, everyone's faces are still wrong but oh man are they good-looking wrong faces. The animation is spectacular, the attention to detail is second-to-none, as you'd expect. I've been slamming my PS4 Share Button every few seconds. The people all look like people, in really distinctive ways. Rafe has these amazing Steve Buscemi eyes, Nadine's curly hair is just right (and those arms), Sam looks just the right level of haggard, and has this unusual mouth that makes him look like more than just a character model some artist drew, y'know?

Anyway, this game's good and I'm going to play more of it after I get food in my face.

EDIT - Oh boy oh boy, this game is something special. This is what my PS4's been waiting for all this time; now it's a real console.

I'm eleven hours in, and I know I'm getting towards the end of the game but I wouldn't expect the credits to roll for a few more hours yet. This is a long one, blowing way past the lengths of all the other Uncharteds, but it just feels puuuurfectly paced. While the basic Uncharted formula of platforming into a place and shooting your way out is still there, they've also done plenty of experimentation. Sometimes you'll shoot your way in and platform your way out! :P

No, srsly, it really is a constantly surprising game to play. You spend a surprising amount of the game not shooting anyone, and playing what essentially feels like Naughty Dog's version of a Gone-Home-style walking simulator, enjoying the scenery and soaking up some environmental storytelling with interactable objects you'll pick up and eyeball like you're playing LA Noire. Simply getting from A to B is much less obvious than it was in the earlier games; levels are much more open in general, which multiple pathways forward, and sometimes Uncharted 4 just feels like a straight up open-world game.

Once you get to Madagascar, everything is just crazy. Forget your jumping/climbing/shooting down a linear path; Uncharted 4's favourite trick is to give you a landmark off on the horizon and leave the getting-there up to you. While there are built-in hints to point you in the right direction if you get stuck, I absolutely loved just exploring and getting myself un-lost at my leisure. For the most part, the level design makes these places feel genuinely real, and not just big corridors where you need to climb that thing, swing on this pole, clamber across these ledges, y'know? Sometimes a particular pattern of grabbable ledges on a rock face will be a little too obvious, but not often.

It must take an amazing level of, I don't know, craftsmanship to strike this balance between not making the way forward too obvious, but also not letting players just miss it. There's a bit where you're puttering around in a motorboat looking for a map to pirate treasure which I don't know that I can come up with any comparison for in any other game. Shades of something like Dishonored, where the game just trusts you to explore and find the way forward, with the peaceful atmosphere of exploring the wilderness in Red Dead Redemption. Definitely a lot of classic Tomb Raider in there, before the reboot's minimaps and waypoints (I honestly haven't even realised until just now that Uncharted 4 is totally HUDless when you're outside of combat; you just don't need one, so you never think about it). Tomb Raider Underworld is probably the best touchstone; Uncharted 4 gives me that same feeling of being set loose in a gargantuan, intricate level with nothing but my wits to help me find the way ahead.

Of course, Tomb Raider Underworld didn't have Naughty Dog's art team behind it, so now imagine those enormous levels but with the actual best graphics you've ever seen. I mean, I don't know how else to phrase it: Uncharted 4 is the best-looking game. It just is. I just want to wander around and look at stuff, and click my Share Button like a tourist. You can spot a little bit of shadow shimmering here and there, maybe a tiny bit of aliasing when a straight line of geometry hits just the right angle off in the distance, but 99% of the time it feels like you're playing a CG movie.

Ah, but don't let that little cliche give you the wrong impression, because this isn't one of those Order 1886 kinds of "playing a CG movie", where the actual playing part is an afterthought. Oh no no no, Uncharted 4 feels incredible. The whole combat part of the game, which encompasses basically every mechanic from climbing to sneaking to shooting and all points in between, is just so good. When I played MGSV last year I thought I was playing the best-controlling third-person action game ever, but while Uncharted 4 feels totally different to that game, I honestly think it feels just as good. Where MGSV offers you pinpoint precision in every animation, Uncharted 4 cultivates that perfectly-Uncharted feeling of barely-controlled chaos while still feeling unfailingly tight and responsive. Every time I encounter guys it starts out as a stealthy offensive, then I screw it all up and have to run for my life, then the fantastic AI loses me and starts searching, then I do a little more stealth, screw it up again, come up with an amazing plan involving rope-swinging, get stunned by its success and screw up again... I love this game :P

Anyway, it's no good doing all this raving before I've finished the game, so I'll get back to this tomorrow. Obviously, though, my overall mood is positive. I can't wait to see how it all ends.

P.S. Nadine is my new favourite Uncharted character

EDIT - Just finished it. I loved it. To get it right out of the way at the start: I don't think it's as good as Uncharted 2, but it's right up close. 2 > 4 > 1 > 3 is my personal Uncharted heirarchy. Uncharted 4 is ultimately a liiiittle too long, with some unusual game design that I'll get into under my spoiler tags, which hold it back from the GOATest of all time perfection of Uncharted 2. It's still an absolutely wonderful masterpiece of a video game, though. Did I mention I loved it?

OK, here we go with spoilers:

Spoiler

#930 Grombrindal

Grombrindal

All will bow before... DOCTOR PISCES!

• Nova Member
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

I'm barely holding off the temptation to hit that spoiler but having read the rest of the post, is it a game worth buying the PS4 for? Uncharted was what got me to buy a PS3 the first time but I'm not so sold on many of the other titles Sony is throwing around (yet) but I also wanna get back on the Nate Train.

I just migh drink it to keep the fear of SEEING THE PAT THAT SHOULD BE COVERED BY NAME OMG SO MUCH BLOOD

kEVdchv.gif302fJKQ.gif

#931 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,898 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

I'm barely holding off the temptation to hit that spoiler but having read the rest of the post, is it a game worth buying the PS4 for? Uncharted was what got me to buy a PS3 the first time but I'm not so sold on many of the other titles Sony is throwing around (yet) but I also wanna get back on the Nate Train.

Weeeell, I don't know about that. I don't think any single game is worth buying a whole console for, and the timing is especially bad right now because Sony's going to reveal a whole new PS4 pretty soon. Uncharted 4 is a brilliant game, but I wouldn't want to recommend buying a new console for a game that you'll finish in a few days and then maybe have nothing else to play for the next several months, y'know? I mean, it does have multiplayer, and it is very replayable. I've been hunting down all the collectibles, and finding all these hidden areas that I never even imagined were there on my first playthrough makes it feel like a whole different game.

I don't know, bruh. I shouldn't be trusted with this kind of responsibility :P

EDIT - One of the bonuses you can unlock once you've finished the game is unlimited bullet time. Whenever you aim your gun the game drops into slow motion, so you become a headshotting machine, and it's amazing.

EDIT - OH MAN I JUST REALISED SOMETHING! Midway through the game (shortly before the big shootout/car chase/mud-slipping-and-further-car-chasing setpiece in Madagascar, you can wander through a lovely little town and play with a fellow's lemur. Nate mentions to Sully that he'd like to get a dog one day, and when Sully scoffs Nate promises to name it after him. OK SPOILERS:

Spoiler

#932 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:57 PM

I've been watching Pewdiepie play through this, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm beginning to understand why Wolfy loves these games (except for this one, I guess). My main problem with the game is this:

Why does the gameplay from it look like a more frustrating version of the gameplay from Lego Indiana Jones?

Can somebody explain that?

#933 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

• Nova Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

Why does the gameplay from it look like a more frustrating version of the gameplay from Lego Indiana Jones?

Can somebody explain that?

Because your watching someone play a game, rather than experiencing it for yourself?

#934 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,898 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:53 AM

I just finished The Lost Legacy, the new standalone DLC for Uncharted 4/bite-size new Uncharted game, and YOU GUYS I LOVED IT SO MUCH!

So we're back with Chloe Frazer, which I think makes this the only video game I've ever played where the main character is an Australian human. Claudia Black brings her syrupy tones back to the driver's seat, and Laura Bailey is back as my newest favouritest character in the series Nadine Ross, and they're on a GRRRLZ TRIP TO INDIAAAAA! They're on the hunt for a new ancient artifact, there's a new bad guy hunting for it alongside them, and, just between you and me, they might find a little bit of that Naughty Dog character development goodness along the way. It's forty US bucks on a disc in a box, and it's in that same 7-8ish hour range as Uncharted 1 and 3 were so it's basically an amazing deal and I can't recommend it enough.

This started life as DLC for Uncharted 4, before Naughty Dog realised they were onto a winner and decided to build it out into a full retail release, so I expected something pretty similar to the main game. And it is, for the most part (there's a lot of rope-swinging and stealthy-shooty-swimmy encounters) but it has some really neat new stuff, too. Really early on, TLL dumps you in a massive open area with Chloe, Nadine and a Jeep, and tells you to work it out for yourself. I really enjoyed the huge Madagascar level in Uncharted 4, but that was, ultimately, a fairly linear trek to a specific destination with some cool stuff to find on the way. TLL's version is essentially a small open-world, where you have an idea of where to start but the rest is left to you. It reminded me heavily of Metal Gear Solid V: a great big level full of stuff to do with as you please. You can explore, you can make a beeline for any conspicuous structures, you can kill all the guys or sneak all the guys, there are puzzles hiding out there, there's a sidequest. It's all up to you, baby. And while the mechanics of Uncharted aren't quite suited for this kind of gameplay (you don't run very fast, so you don't want to get too far from the Jeep, and only being able to hold two weapons limits your options), it's still a wonderful level to bomb around in for a couple of hours.

After that, it's back to Uncharted 4's business as usual, which is to say a lot of climbing, a lot of walking about, some big ol' level-spanning puzzles, and short but intense bursts of the best violence the Uncharted series has had. The combat is much the same as U4, though there are some fun new weapons in TLL. The same complaints I had about Uncharted 4 apply here (which is to say too much walkin', not enough shootin'), but TLL is a much shorter game and I think the overall pacing is better for it. I still wish there was more combat, because the combat here is so good, but... well, let's just say that the dearth of dudes to shoot is only a problem in the middle of the game, BECAUSE IT SURE AIN'T AT THE END!

OK, I'm not going to spoil anything, but The Lost Legacy's final couple of hours are FLAT OUT INCREDIBLE. It's like a Greatest Hits compilation of every action setpiece the series has given us so far, but cranked up the most rididiculously amazing level. It's the best setpiece in the series, fite me irl if u disagree. Oh BOY it's so good! I was shouting at my TV! I was slamming the buttons on my controller! My voice is hoarse from how hyped I was! It just keeps going and going, and the stakes keep escalating, and my hands are still shaking as I type this. UNCHAAAARTEEEED!

Oh, and the story! While the basic plot isn't going to surprise anyone, the writing and characterisation and development are wonderful. You get a bit of a look into Chloe and Nadine's backstories, and how they grew into the cool ladies we know and love, and they both get thrown into lovely moral quandaries that force them to confront themselves and grow as people. It's so well done; they both feel like three dimensional characters with values and hopes and dreams, desires, for-realsies personalities. I love'em. Chloe is so much Lara-Croft-er than that heavy-breathing imposter in the current Tomb Raider games it's kind of hilarious; it's just so fun to see her out there in her element, raiding tombs and cracking wise :P

Alright, so I'm revising my own personal Uncharted rankings: 2 > TLL > 4 > 1 > 3. Have I mentioned that I really like The Lost Legacy yet? btw I was just looking through all the Extras you unlock after finishing the game, and there are some amazing unlockable costumes for Chloe. I can't wait to jump back in and start mopping up some of these Trophies while messing around with the ridiculous slew of unlockable goodies.

#935 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:12 AM

So can someone explain to me from an old and grizzled standpoint why UC3 was the weak link of the PS3-era games? I only just got to play all 4 Drake games this year, due to just getting a PS4, and I thought 3 was fantastic. If anything I thought 1 was the weak link, though that isn't a damning accusation, it's just by virtue of being the oldest title, and personally think its gameplay hasn't aged well.

Also just adding to a long established sentiment, 4 is exceptionally pretty:

Spoiler

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#936 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,898 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:06 AM

I suppose my opinion is coloured by having played all the games as they came out, so I spent so much time replaying Uncharted 1 before any of the others came out, but I just love that game. The sequels improved on it in basically every way, but that's where all my wonderful Uncharted memories started, where I met Drake and Elena and Sully and Eddie Raja who is totally still alive. It's also the first shooter I really put any significant time into. I straight up didn't know how to aim a reticle with my right thumb before I started playing Uncharted; every game I'd ever played that featured dude-shooting either had lock-on aiming or made you stand still and aim with your left thumb. I basically owe every face I've ever shot with dual-stick controls to those hours I spent playing the Uncharted 1 demo :P

Long story short, Uncharted 3 just didn't do it for me. I found the design very frustrating, like I was always being led into game overs in the cinematic action setpieces, being forced to run towards the camera and getting it wrong in a way I couldn't possibly have seen coming, and I really didn't like how disjointed and coincidence-heavy the story was. I always hear that Naughty Dog came up with the setpieces first and then had to write a story that put Nate on a sinking cruiseship and a crashing plane and a big horse/truck convoy chase, and I don't doubt it. Cutter just peaces out halfway through, which I understand is because his actor had to go and be unrecognizable in the awful Hobbit movies, but I don't know why Chloe had to go with him. I don't think it's a terrible game, but I really just didn't like it. I actually still haven't gone back and replayed it since launch.

But I know plenty of people love 3, even put it over the eternal radiant brilliance of 2, so don't take my word for it. But do take my word about The Lost Legacy being wonderful, though :P

#937 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

So can someone explain to me from an old and grizzled standpoint why UC3 was the weak link of the PS3-era games? I only just got to play all 4 Drake games this year, due to just getting a PS4, and I thought 3 was fantastic. If anything I thought 1 was the weak link, though that isn't a damning accusation, it's just by virtue of being the oldest title, and personally think its gameplay hasn't aged well.

I always stand up for Uncharted 3 if not just because I feel like people rag on it too much. I do this because I think 3 was still a good game and it's unfair to be so cruel to it, especially since plenty of its issues stemmed from the fact that The Last of Us stole all of ND's priority at the time of the game's development. TLOU took away lots of budget, developers, and time from UC3, and UC3 suffered for it. It had to be rushed out the gate, not nearly as polished as even some of the trailers were, and missing chunks that Amy Hennig has since talked about wanting to include but having to cut so they could release on time. Also, the story is much more thoughtful and subtle than most people give it credit for, especially with its Hermetic themes scattered throughout. It's very fun to examine it from a Hermetic angle, in terms of its storytelling and themes.

That being said, it still remains the one of the Uncharted trilogy that I have the most nitpicks with. I feel like they could have told the story better. Like Ocey said, some of the setpieces felt disconnected. There were a lot of story elements they could have done so much more with, too (especially the drugs and involving hallucinogens more in combat). I didn't like that the djinn were just figments of Nate's imagination; I like the supernatural being real.

There's more, but frankly, I think a lot of the complaints and nitpicks also stem from the simple fact that Uncharted 2 was an absolute masterpiece, and Uncharted 3 had the unfortunate destiny of following after something that was perfect; it just couldn't compare to Uncharted 2, so it heightened a sense of disappointment for players at the time. That doesn't mean it is, by any stretch of the imagination, a bad game.

However, I personally never had any problem with the actual gameplay. I had an absolute blast throughout UC3, so I wouldn't call the gameplay its weak point at all. I will admit, though, I actually very much preferred the animations of UC2 over 3. I didn't like Nate getting so hunched down so often and walking funny and the whole randomly reaching out to walls thing that they loved to advertise so much. His idle animations, walking animations, running animations, and pretty much all his animations in general were better in UC2.

But, again, like I said, I still love UC3, especially now. And while I'm still a bit miffed that Nate lost his ring, I can appreciate the themes and sentiment in the end of UC3, and I think it was an excellent ending in terms of staying hopeful and true to the spirit of the games, rather like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

As for saying UC1 was the weak link because the gameplay didn't age well, there are a few things to take into account. Naughty Dog was one of the first companies to create their own, brand new engine on the PS3 system just after its release. They didn't have half the budget on UC1 as they did on the later Uncharted games, either. But I know if I go on I'll probably get too defensive, since I love everything about UC1, and I personally never had any problems with its gameplay (yes, including the dreaded sixaxis, and in fact you were an idiot in UC multiplayer if you didn't use that to aim your grenades, you have no idea how many fools I owned that way because they had to pop out of cover to aim their frags and never imagined I could throw a frag without doing that :P anyway--), especially taking into account that, yes, it was a little rough. Try playing other games developed under the same conditions - most of them have aged way worse.

Also, since you're playing the "Nathan Drake collection," I feel the need to point out that it might be worth your time to look up some of the cutscenes and gameplay from the PS3 versions on YouTube, because the PS4 remaster was not made by Naughty Dog and they destroyed a lot of the artistry, especially the lighting/color keys that were specifically designed for each level and sequence. I also noticed several missing or misplaced triggers in several levels and some other glitches I never ran into in the PS3 games in all my 500+ hours replaying single player* (again, mostly related to lighting, even on characters' teeth in the cutscenes).

Cutter just peaces out halfway through, which I understand is because his actor had to go and be unrecognizable in the awful Hobbit movies, but I don't know why Chloe had to go with him.

Yeah... that was one of the main things that bothered me in UC3. :/ I was happy they'd brought Chloe back.

*: I am not exaggerating. XD I actually know I have well over 450 hours in UC2 single player on its own. I wish I had my full play time in single player and multiplayer in all the games on PS3.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#938 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Cutter just peaces out halfway through, which I understand is because his actor had to go and be unrecognizable in the awful Hobbit movies, but I don't know why Chloe had to go with him.

Now Occy, while the Hobbit movies are nothing good to speak of (especially some parts that I'm sure you know I'm talking about), I will still defend them because at least they weren't as bad as they could have been.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Uncharted

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users