Photo

D3 2018: The DMC5 Display Demonstration

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
231 replies to this topic

Poll: E3! (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Who won E3?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#221 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

Can I just say how glad I am Sekiro and Devil May Cry 5 showed up at Micro's conference, given the bombardment of 'leaks' suggesting they were PS4 exclusive. Xbox is my console of choice, and I would love to play these awesome games.

In fact, I just bought the DMC HD collection and DMC4 (but not the DmC reboot) tonight. I didn't want to get into a series I knew I wouldn't be able to continue on the console.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#222 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:55 AM

In fact, I just bought the DMC HD collection and DMC4 (but not the DmC reboot) tonight. I didn't want to get into a series I knew I wouldn't be able to continue on the console.

YES, BOYEEEEEE! Feel free to join me in my extremely lively DMC appreciation thread where I definitely don't just shout opinions into the ether and have nobody ever read them. Also feel free to skip DMC2.

And, yeah, I'm glad the console exclusive part of the DMC5 leak didn't turn out to be real. 95% of that leak was spot on, but the guy who leaked it on Resetera was hearing conflicting stuff about the platforms and engine, and he obviously got that part completely wrong. I want as many people as possible to be able to play this glorious game, and I honestly think I'm probably going to end up buying it on PS4 and PC because I'm such a mark :P

Who wants some E3 updates?

- Sekiro is pure action, with "no stats, armor, weapons, classes, or multiplayer", so that's interesting. The gameplay looks a lot like Bloodborne to me, but I wonder if they're going to go with a more standard kind of DMC-ish action style without the high-commitment Souls stuff where you can't cancel attacks into dodges.

- Nioh 2 has character customisation (no more faux-Geralt), and your character has monster powers

- REmake 2 gameplay. It looks great! Who would've thought Capcom would be crushing it like this?

- Metro Exodus gameplay. It's incredibly pretty, I'll give it that. I don't know if it's really my thing, but I'll keep an eye on it:

- Press were shown a 50 minute demo of Cyberpunk 2077, and we don't get to see it but there are a lot of articles out there. You can probably find one on whatever your game website of choice is, but I thought this was a pretty good one from the Digital Foundry guy who looks a bit like Rick Moranis:

Cyberpunk 2077 is legit. I can’t even imagine this being current gen. Like holy ****. It’s like Deus Ex + Crysis + Witcher at a scale and level of detail that I’ve never seen. It’s the kind of game I’ve dreamt of for ages. That was one hell of an hour.

#223 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:10 AM

I'm still incredibly salty that Cyberpunk 2077 is first person, I'd like to be able to see my awesome character.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#224 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:36 AM

Here's some good, uninterrupted, direct-feed footage from the RE2 remake, and it looks great. It looks like a really faithful recreation of the original, but with over-the-shoulder free-aim and the same sort of inventory management from RE7; they haven't turned it into an action game or anything:

CD Projekt has this to say about Cyberpunk's multiplayer:

Eurogamer: Is Cyberpunk 2077 a purely single-player game?

Patrick Mills: Yes, it is.

Eurogamer: So there's no multiplayer whatsoever?

Patrick Mills: We have multiplayer in R&D, but the game we're shipping to you, the game you're going to buy is the single-player experience. That's really what we're concentrating on now, the single-player RPG experience. That's what we want to nail down before we start looking at any of these other things.

Eurogamer: So when you say you've got multiplayer in R&D, do you mean in relation to Cyberpunk 2077, or just generally at the studio?

Patrick Mills: In relation to Cyberpunk as well as just generally at the studio.

Eurogamer: So maybe multiplayer will come post-launch?

Patrick Mills: Maybe, no promises. Nothing at launch. At launch we're concentrating on the single-player game. That's what we want to give you.

#225 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

Cyberpunk 2077: Battle Royale

#226 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:42 AM

Oh, and I think Jeff Gerstmann summed up Nintendo's show the best (spoilerised for some swearing):

Spoiler

#227 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

I'm a little upset that my choice isn't on the poll.

It's pretty obvious looking back through this thread that Ocelot won E3.

#228 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

I think it's safe to say that Sony "won" E3 even though Microsoft had the best conference. I just find it hard to be Best of E3 when there's still a drastic lack of exclusives for Xbox, aside from your Halo's and your Gears' and your Forza's. I'd wager on EA having the worst conference over Squeenix simply because it was over an hour opposed to 30 minutes. Everything else for me just kind of falls in the middle, though I don't even consider Nintendo really since they just do their Treehouse thing now-a-days. They even pulled the same strat they did last year with BotW and focused on Smash entirely afterwards, with a little Pokemon thrown in there for good measure. But truthfully we all know Devolver had the best conference, don't lie to yourself.

As for the games, there are a whopping 10 games that captured my interest this year which seems like more than usual. First and foremost, Devil May Cry 5 tops the list. It finally happened and it looks awesome. I need to plan out a series play through soon, it's been a long time since I've played the other 3 entries in the series. Likewise with Kingdom Hearts 3, even though that was already revealed. It looks so good and it just makes me feel some kinda way that I can't wait. It's beautiful. I began a KH1 playthrough not too long ago so I might just pick that back up. #3 for me is REmake 2. I remember being concerned when the rumors came out about the camera angle being over-the-shoulder, but after seeing gameplay my worries have subsided. It looks good, really good.

Sekiro seems interesting, almost Tenchu like from what I've seen/heard. Apparently there aren't any RPG mechanics unlike Soulsborne and it's going to be focused on straight-up combat. No multiplayer either in any capacity. Ghost of Tsushima looks sick and the gameplay looks fluid, and I can't get enough of good Samurai action. And it's being made by the Infamous devs! I'm actually now considering getting a PS4 Pro at some point due to how well these games look and knowing how bad they'll look in comparison on my PS4 Amateur. Fist of the North Star looks excellent, low key might be my favorite game of the show. I've been slowly chugging through Yakuza 0 and loving it, and having a Fist of the North Star game using the Yakuza system seems like a perfect marriage. I can't wait to bust out the Hokuto no Ken on some goons and just make a bloody mess of everything.

I've gotten *heavily* back into fighting games since Tekken 7 came out, and Soulcalibur VI looks really good which is super elating after the mess of Soulcalibur V. SCVI wasn't an E3 reveal either but they finally showed some of Geralt's gameplay and he seems like he's been really well done, lots of attention to detail in regards to his character and his combat. While I'm on fighting games I may as well mention Dead or Alive 6, which had a stealth reveal on Friday before E3. The series looks to be taking itself a little more serious now, with the realistic redesigns of the characters and the distinct lack of over sized jiggly bitties. I might check it out when it's released.

Honorable mentions go to DOOM Eternal and Nioh 2. There just wasn't enough shown of either game to really gauge anything further than interest at this point. I'm hoping that DOOM Eternal just turns out be DOOM II: Hell on Earth essentially. That's all it needs to be. I liked Nioh but don't think I ever got around to finishing it, but I really ended up enjoying the combat system. Creating your character is a nice change as I don't recall Samurai Geralt ever saying much. Not being adapted from a film script and having a 10-year development hell should turn out to be beneficial.

#229 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

I'm still incredibly salty that Cyberpunk 2077 is first person, I'd like to be able to see my awesome character.

There are a bunch of people crusading for third person perspective in the CD Projekt forums, and from what I hear, a developer jumped in at one point and said they would reconsider the issue. So it might still happen.

I think the obvious solution is "whynotboth.gif" - just let us zoom into first person when we want to be immersive or aim, and then zoom out to third when we want to see our character... Heck, I think 99% of games should work like that, but I guess the technology that made it possible in Metal Gear Solid 2 got lost at some point since 2001. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#230 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:17 PM

I'm a little upset that my choice isn't on the poll.

It's pretty obvious looking back through this thread that Ocelot won E3.

DMC5 was announced. We ALL won E3.

I think it's safe to say that Sony "won" E3 even though Microsoft had the best conference. I just find it hard to be Best of E3 when there's still a drastic lack of exclusives for Xbox, aside from your Halo's and your Gears' and your Forza's.

To be fair, I think they did about as well as they could have. Microsoft has had such a bad last few years in terms of canceling games, burning bridges, and taking big gambles that don't really pay off that their show here was almost a mea culpa. Phil basically came out and said "Hey, I went out and bought all these studios because I know we're bad at the first party thing". And of course, the reality of game development these days means none of those deals are going to pay off until the next Xbox comes out, but, y'know, they have to sign those deals sooner rather than later. 

Sony obviously had the best showing in terms of "Look at this sick games you can only play on our toy", but, at the same time, we saw all those games at last year's E3, and while Spidey comes out this year, we're almost definitely going to see the other three at next year's E3, too because none of those bad boys had a release date. I'm getting a bit sick of the whole 'show a game at five consecutive E3s' thing.

(oh btw there's a demo for the Fist of the North Star Yakuza game on the Japanese PSN if you want to check it out. I imported the game when it came out in Japan earlier this year but I still haven't got around to playing it :P)

There are a bunch of people crusading for third person perspective in the CD Projekt forums, and from what I hear, a developer jumped in at one point and said they would reconsider the issue. So it might still happen.

I think the obvious solution is "whynotboth.gif" - just let us zoom into first person when we want to be immersive or aim, and then zoom out to third when we want to see our character... Heck, I think 99% of games should work like that, but I guess the technology that made it possible in Metal Gear Solid 2 got lost at some point since 2001. :P

From what I've read in various previews of the behind-closed-doors demo they showed press, it seems like CDPR are doing pretty interesting things with the first-person perspective. There was one that talked about the player going into a cyborg chop shop, having their eyeball plucked out and outfitted with a new cybernetic enhancement that changed the whole HUD of the game when they plugged it back into their head, which is something that wouldn't work nearly as well in third-person. CDPR made the best video game of this entire generation, so I'm willing to trust that they know what they're doing here :P

OK, time for some GAMES OF E3 THAT OCELOT IS EXCITED ABOUT:

Devil May Cry 5 - Have I mentioned that I'm quite a fan of the DMC series? I think I might have said it here once or twice, right? While the new art style certainly took me by surprise, I actually really like it now and I am 200% hyped about this video game. Itsuno is back. Dante, Nero and Vergil are back (and with their proper voice actors, no less!). Devil May Cry is back. GOTY 2019, boyeeeez. We eatin'.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I only just started playing Dark Souls last week, and I think it's pretty cool, but I'm not entirely sold on this "run all the way from the checkpoint to the boss door every time" thing, so hearing Sekiro is more of a traditional action game is a big point in its favour for me. I don't know how we suddenly ended up in this situation of having THREE cool olde-timey Japan samurai sword games coming out at once, but I'm pretty OK with it.

Cyberpunk 2077 - I mean, obviously, right? That game's going to be an absolute juggernaut. I poured almost 200 hours into Witcher 3 and will fite u irl if you don't think it's one of the greatest video games ever made, and now the best RPG studio in the business is setting their sights on the cyberpunk genre. What a time to be alive.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - That game looks really cool. I haven't played any of the REs pre-4, but I've always been interested in 2 because I know it was my boi Hideki Kamiya's first game, so I think I'm going to check this one out. I am an incorrigible wuss when it comes to scary games, though, so I hope I can manage it.

Those big expensive Sony games - I think Sony has settled into a pattern of not doing anything hugely innovative, but basically just taking familiar templates and turning them into very pretty, very well-polished games, and I'm happy to play'em. Spider-Man is an Arkham, Ghost of Tsushima is an Assassin's Creed, TLOU2 is a TLOU; none of them are going to change the game but I imagine I'm really going to enjoy all of them. And I still don't know what to say about Death Stranding. Somehow the more we see the less we understand. But, y'know, how are you not going to play that game? I don't know what it is but I need it.

Babylon's Fall - Yeah, we know absolutely nothing about this game, but Platinum is making it and that's enough for me :P

#231 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:14 PM

Here's a translated synopsis of an interview Miyazaki did with Famitsu.

A lot of good info that clarifies some things about Sekiro.

#232 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:30 AM

Here's a translated synopsis of an interview Miyazaki did with Famitsu.

A lot of good info that clarifies some things about Sekiro.

This game sounds awesome. The little taste I've had of From Software I've had so far with the Dark Souls Remaster has been pretty great, so I'm really interested to see with a more traditional action game that's much more up my alley.

Well, I think that will about do it for E3 2018. We've laughed, we've cried, but most importantly we've seen DEVIL MAY CRY 5 and that makes this the best E3 there ever has been. I just want you to know that I love each and every one of you bozos. We've been together all these years, united in our tireless wait for DMC5 (I mean, we've also done other things here, too), but we've finally done it. It's here.

I'll leave you with the gif I didn't get to use because Nintendo's show was so bad:

vlaOrou.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users