Photo

SSLF Switch Party, no dorks allowed

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: Switch

For buying a Nintendo Switch at launch, Ocelot is...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,938 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:09 AM

I pretty much feel like they're Wii U-ing it again, right out of the gate. We've known from the moment the hybrid leaks started that it was going to be the worst of both worlds: too big and bulky and with battery life too poor to be a good handheld, too underpowered to compete with the other home consoles, but they could still have made it work if the price was right. But the price is WRONG. THE PRICE IS WRAAWNG.

$199 would have been impulse buy, gotta-have-it territory. $250 would have been alright. $300, with paid online, and you need to buy an SD card because it only comes with 32GB, is just beyond the pale. And $470 in my neck of the woods means it's just dead in the water (seriously, XB1 and PS4 Slims drop to the low $300s every other month. This thing is up in PS4 Pro territory; it just will not sell here).

And what makes it worse is that seems like it's stuff like those fake ice cubes that are driving the price up. Was anyone asking for ultra-high-fidelity rumble in the laughably tiny mini-controllers you're never actually going to play with after the first week? Why does this thing need Wiimotes at all? I don't want to buy more Wiimotes. I don't ever need to play a Wiimote game ever again. Yet, for some reason, you have to pay for two new Wiimotes with every Switch. They did this same thing with the Wii U: used custom-made, expensive parts to put together a system that was still much weaker than the competition and couldn't ever be manufactured cheaply. They just don't learn.

And, I mean, even then, they could have wowed us with a great launch lineup, but they dropped that ball super hard too! Zelda and a $50 waggle collection. What have Nintendo's developers been doing these past couple of years? They certainly haven't been making Wii U games, but apparently they haven't even been making Switch games either. Like, what is going on? Who runs this company?

Well, anyway, the Nintendo Treehouse stream is going to go live in a little while. I don't know what they're going to show, but I can't even pretend to get my hopes up any more. I think Nintendo broke me today.

#42 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

Considering I never bought into a Wii U (and I most certainly will not at this point.) I'm quite ok with the Switch is and what it has.

I don't have any intention of conducting online play anyway. PC and Xbox are both good enough for that.

Some of those ports not being at launch does sway me from buying right off the bat, but I feel confident that I'll be getting one for a few things. Hopefully more at E3.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#43 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,938 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:24 AM

65236_gb_news.jpg

EDIT - The Treehouse stream is up:

Twitch

#44 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

65236_gb_news.jpg

Those look....small. Very very small.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#45 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

Also, stop dreaming for Metroid.  With the fact that Nintendo has gone insane, they won't do another Metroid after Federation Force due to it's reception.  Hell, I'm pretty sure they made it flop just so they could say "Oh look, no one likes Metroid anymore, let's never make another one again".   And as much as you may think that is far fetched, remember how a certain Nintendo exec was acting about Metroid prior to Federation Force's release?  Writing is on the wall here.  In blood.  A lot of blood.  As in "Holy crap, I didn't think there was this much blood in one person's body" levels of blood writing.

Nintendo clearly doesn't care about sales. Otherwise, why would they be making a Pikmin 4? They'll get around to it when they stop making huge system sellers like "1-2 Switch" and "Arms." :P

I'll have to see what that price translates to in Australian dollars, but if it's over $400 I honestly think I might just buy Zelda for the Wii U. That was... pathetic. I mean, probably not as bad as the Wii U reveal, where they spent half an hour on Nintendoland and nobody knew whether it was actually a new console or just an add-on for the Wii, but pretty bad

I would imagine that the Switch is going to be a huge challenge to market. How would you explain the Switch to a friend who has never heard of it? Not only does this game have motion controls and a screen like the WII U, but it also has its own controller hookup, and each of the little remotes can be used as a little NES controller on their own. The system seems like its capable of being used to control games in a lot of different ways that I think will make things unnecessarily confusing. 

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#46 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,938 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

If you'll indulge me in my overly dramatic Tumblr update here. I think I'm finally done giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. This is the $469 straw that broke this camel's back. I always get hyped up for the next Nintendo event, and I always get disappointed. For years now it's been "Don't worry, just wait for E3", "OK, E3 was a bust, but they were probably just saving all their stuff for the next Nintendo Direct", "Well, no, that was terrible, but they said it was only for games coming out in the near future so I'm sure they've got stuff in the pipe for later on", and on and on and on.

I'm going to do something Nintendo seems incapable of here, and learn my lesson. I'm already seeing the sentiment online change to "Well, I'm sure they're just holding stuff back for E3!", but I'm just not playing that game. They'll have a few more Wii U ports, a couple of cool-looking games that don't have release dates, and Mario Odyssey will look great. The big blowout of games we expected after the excruciating Wii U drought of the past couple of years is never going to come; it's going to be the same drip feed of a neat game here and there, and then in a couple of years the Switch will get pushed even further into the background by the incoming Playstation 5 and Xbox Whatever.

Why you gotta be like this, Reggie?

#47 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

Welp, that was adorable.

I still love Nintendo's properties and it's often because of stuff like this. Their characters have so much character and there's a lot of uses of them in inventive ways. Seeing Bowser wearing a tux for Mario Odyssey is like my new favorite thing. That's why I love them. No other company has the same amount of charm and polish that Nintendo does.

But, the Switch's list of games is really, really, wanting. Really. We've got a few WiiU ports, and some sequels that won't be out until later this year. The thing's cost is really, really, high. PRo Controller for 70 is absurd. Joycons for 80 is even worse. An extra dock for 90? Are you kidding me!? 

Plus, 1, 2, Switch should be a pack-in game. While we don't have a price for it, anything more than 10 bucks is too much for this kind of nonsense. Arms, admittedly, looks kind of fun, and it allows you to use traditional controls (yay) but it does not seem worth 60 bucks. And that's like...all that's coming. Splatoon 2 isn't until Summer. Zelda is a WiiU Port. Mario Odyssey is Holiday 2017, unless it gets delayed. They announced the idea of a Fire Emblem Warriors game, the idea of Shin Megami Tensei 5, and the idea of a Travis Touchdown game. These are ideas. These aren't even lying CGI trailers. These are the idea of a game that could exist.

Could.

Nintendo has the best properties in the industry in my opinion, and are constantly the most inventive. But damn, they are doing nothing here to get me excited. Hell, they are doing nothing to even get me interested. I defended and will continue to defend the WiiU because I think it's pretty awesome, but the Switch hasn't sold me. 

Me. Nintendo Fanboy. I'm unconvinced by this thing. I should've been the easiest to convince! 

And yet, I know at least one person on my facebook feed who preordered one. Why, I have no idea. But hey. At least Nintendo's "Scarcity" nonsense they pulled with the NES Mini and Amiibo is working again. I think Pre-orders are sold out, or will be very soon.

#48 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

I guess all the people who were hyped up for this console but ended up disappointed have really Switched their position.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#49 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

Bowser___Mad_Mad_Mad____by_RiboZurai.gif

Grant I will fireball you

#50 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

I guess all the people who were hyped up for this console but ended up disappointed have really Switched their position.

Oh no Grant. You know what happens when you make a bad pun during a very serious discussion about the end of Nintendo? You know what happens? A fate worse than death awaits you Grant, for you just made the list! Again!

72366198.jpg

Anyway, I think that the really tragic thing about all this is that many Nintendo fans wanted the Switch to be great. More than any other company, I think fans want to see Nintendo succeed and do well because of how great some of their games are. And with the Wii U being so poorly supported, this all just feels underwhelming. The worst part was when they pulled out third party developers like EA, Bethesda, and Suda 51 to say that they like the console and want to make games for it. Yet, they have no information or footage of said games. Heck, Suda 51 didn't even have a title (I could have given him one. No More Heroes 3!). The only one who had anything to show was Bethesda, and does anyone who had any interest in Skyrim not have it yet? Maybe a few hardcore Nintendo fans will buy it because they never had the opportunity to before (and there isn't much else), but anyone I know of who still plays that game plays it on PC for the mod support, and we all know the Switch won't have that. 

#51 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

Is this a bad time to point out that everything from the Super Mario Odyssey trailer fits into one, Super Mario 64 sized level.

Because it actually does.  (Image is a weird file type. Too much effort to change it and upload it to somewhere else like Imgur.)

5Sa8Z49.gif

#52 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

That isn't entirely accurate. It's just one area out of several shown in the trailer. Mario 64 had a bunch of sandbox-style worlds to explore. I bet the New York thing was just one of many worlds.

Or at least, I hope that's the case.

Second, I'm pretty sure the screenshot is showing something bigger than Mario 64 worlds. Not exactly huge, but still, bigger.

Either way, the game is not enough for me to get a Switch right now. 

#53 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

That isn't entirely accurate. It's just one area out of several shown in the trailer. Mario 64 had a bunch of sandbox-style worlds to explore. I bet the New York thing was just one of many worlds.

Second, I'm pretty sure the screenshot is showing something bigger than Mario 64 worlds. Not exactly huge, but still, bigger.

*ahem* That's New DONK City, thank you very much. :P

#54 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

Except would make sense to do.  And Nintendo hasn't exactly proven that they know how to make sensible decisions recently.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#55 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Except would make sense to do.  And Nintendo hasn't exactly proven that they know how to make sensible decisions recently.

Even if that is the case, the "Bigger map = better game" nonsense absolutely needs to die, 99% of the time I would rather have a densely packed and incredibly well crafted but small map than a sprawling desolate wasteland of nothing to do.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#56 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

There was a game that prided itself on the size of its game world. Everyone thought it was gonna be the bee's knees because there was so much stuff in it. Then it launched and no one liked it. Maybe you've heard of it? 

header.jpg

#57 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

I was actually happy when I heard that it was just a level and not some sort of overworld. My first thought when I saw Mario running down the street was "hmm, a colorful mascot character going down surprisingly realistic city streets? Where have I seen that before?" And then it came to me like a blue blur. 

tumblr_inline_mvkd9bqW4w1rv98gz.gif

The less Mario games resemble Sonic, the better. 

#58 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,938 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

But what emotions we shall feel when a regular human woman has to plant a delicate kiss on Mario's horrifically-proportioned nightmare body from another universe:

tumblr_inline_o6qkykrcST1t6l38c_500.gif

Hey look, you guys, Reggie's lying again:

Oh, so earlier today I got asked about Mother 3; maybe you can ask me about Metroid. Look, again, I am proud as an executive with Nintendo to say that we look at all of the boards and all of the comments and we really have a good understanding of what our consumers want. And believe me, we take that to heart as we work to create content. So I have nothing to announce–here. But we are aware that there are some key IP that consumers just can’t wait for the next true installment in that franchise’s legacy. Suffice it to say, we’re aware of it, and talk to me in a year and let’s look back and see what’s happened.

Place your bets on how many Mothers and Metroids we're going to have a year from now. Are you betting on zero? I'm betting on zero.

Reggie also stressed the importance of having “a regular cadence of critical launches to drive the install base and keep the consumer base engaged.” With Switch, Nintendo is looking to avoid “large gaps” between releases.

No more benefit of the doubt, Reggie. You've stretched my patience too thin and I'm done. Your words mean nothing.

#59 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

But what emotions we shall feel when a regular human woman has to plant a delicate kiss on Mario's horrifically-proportioned nightmare body from another universe:

Speaking of horrifying images, I made the poor decision of looking at some of the comments on that website. I can't believe that anyone is trying to defend the Switch's launch lineup when it basically consists of Zelda (coming out for the Wii U) and "1,2 Switch" which really should have been included with the system itself. Its just...sad seeing how some people keep trying to defend Nintendo's poor decisions. 

#60 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:48 PM

Hawk got me curious so I read the comments as well. These are my favorites, right next to each other.

j5h7wx.png

I shouldn't poke fun, but come on. The baseless optimism here is kind of adorable, admirable, and naive. 

I tried for five minutes to think of something witty here, but I just couldn't do it. I don't know if I should be jealous of people who aren't cynical like me, or I should be smug that they are setting themselves up for disappointment and I'm not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users