Photo

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Zeddler

What is your favourite feature of Breath of the Wild?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

UGHHH I need to play this and do those shield bash hits. oh man. OH AND THAT ASTEROID. Gif wasn't loading for a while and I thought you were just talking about Death Mountain but HOLY COW.

I love my stripper Link and all, but I need that treasure chest kick gif in my sig. I NEED DIS

Also new E3 twitter numbers:

Zelda: 575k

Battlefield1: 201k

SKUNK'D

EDIT: I come bearing gifts. 46 minutes of direct feed footage. I don't know how much of this is useful, but at least you get to hear the sound effects and music. I might go through this tomorrow if I have time in the same manner I've done in the past.

#22 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:17 PM

Also new E3 twitter numbers:

Zelda: 575k

Battlefield1: 201k

SKUNK'D

I can only hope this game kicks the NX's life off with a bang. It's much too late to help the Wii U, but if the NX comes out with this white hot fire as a launch title? It'd be pretty much the best console launch of all time. I want to see Nintendo bring the glory days back :P

EDIT - Pictured: Nintendo blowing away the haters

1EtPlwC.gif

#23 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:56 AM

Someone has already deciphered the runes in Breath of the Wild.

Oh, and whilst I'm at it, there's a list of everything we saw in the gameplay footage being compiled over on r/zelda. The old Temple of Time music is in there. c:
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#24 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:11 AM

This is definitely what the Wii U needs along with Nintendo's next system. Twilight Princess was probably meant to be the killer app for both the Gamecube and the Wii, but failed in the midst of newer consoles and poor reception to the game in general. But this? I'm already sold on it, and I just play 3DS mostly.

I really like the addition of the Dark Souls style parry, along with armor switching. I can't wait to see what kind of ornate and exotic armors the game has in store. Here's hoping for some awesome co-op implemented that they're not showing us yet.

Edited by Style, 17 June 2016 - 06:12 AM.

xgd0s9.jpg

#25 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

Ya'll know that smoke around Hyrule Castle in the trailer? It's Ganon. Or rather, Calamity Ganon.

Guess that means the old man is either Ganon's human form (perhaps the malice of Demise is now rampaging free?) or old Daphnes. Either way, I'm not overtly disappointed that Ganon's back, but it would have been nice to see a new villain.
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#26 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

Ganon has a vape form, confirmed.

It'll be interesting to see how many forms Ganon gets this game. I highly doubt the old man is Ganon, but we'll see.

#27 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

Either way, I'm not overtly disappointed that Ganon's back, but it would have been nice to see a new villain.

Considering how much they want to evoke the original NES Zelda, I suppose it pretty much had to be Ganon.

I don't mind a Ganon game, as long as they're upfront about it being Ganon. Both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were like, "No, you guys, we've totally got a new villain this time, look how coo- aaaaaand it's Ganon". I'd much rather have it be about Ganon from moment one, than a surprise switcheroo, or just some guy who wants to resurrect Ganon.

EDIT - I think this is the fast travel animation:

q96C5sF.gif

#28 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:10 PM

I think Ganon is a good fit for this game, because it feels like a modern take on classic Legend of Zelda, I mean, this seems like exactly the kind of game that if some other company released it they would've just called it "The Legend of Zelda" without a subtitle, thus causing mild confusion and forcing us to append a number to the end. Looking at you Doom "4".

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#29 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

This would've been Zelda 19 or 11. Only 8 first-release handheld games so far. I could feel the reboot coming in my bones, but this has surpassed my expectations of how good it could be, and all we freaking have is other people playing the game so far.

Majora's Mask is still my favourite villain in the series. It controlled a moon, for goodness' sake. And the boss fight! I know it was the 3-hits and change in 3 forms (because everything in Zelda has to be 3), but wow. What fun that was, and so unique compared to the rest of the series. I really hope that we don't play tennis with human Ganondorf, and then we get to fight a pig Gannon outside.

EDIT: Zelda: Breath of the Wild has won IGN's Game of the Show Award. Obviously, Hylia River was not too much water.

EDIT2: Apparently over 100 programmers/developers from MonolithSoft (Xenoblade) are currently on the Breath of the Wild team. I'd have a source, but Zelda Informer doesn't have servers that can handle this week.

#30 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild wins Best of Show from the Game Critics Awards. It's a panel of judges made up of various well-known industry people, basically one person from each of the big websites. It also won Best Console Game and Best Action/Adventure.

I was going to say this was a pretty prestigious award, but then I looked back at the last few winners and they were Fallout 4, Evolve and Titanfall. So, y'know, maybe not. But, still, they definitely picked the right one this year. All about that Zelda, baby.

#31 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

Well it is an award for E3 after all. FO4 was the surprise bombshell that trumped even Nier, and TLG. I don't remember Evolve, but I do remember that Titanfall had a great E3 showing.

#32 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:20 PM

Been a bit quiet in here recently, eh?

#33 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

Not necessarily Breath of the Wild news, but it's a lovely video. I would love a Zelda Ghibli movie.

At the end, Link looks a little too undetailed for my liking, but otherwise, I would be so in. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#34 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

Kakeru - Run

Ikiru - Live

Atmosphere/times of day.

Weather demonstration.

#35 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:00 PM

It looks sooooo goooood, and that music gives me the chillsies every single time. Also in that weather demonstration video, there's what looks like a ship's Crow's Nest sitting on the ground, which lends more credence to the theory that this is the Wind Waker timeline after the ocean has un-flooded the world after a bajillion years of evaporation or whatevs.

Of course now we have to wonder if this is Wii U or Switch footage. I'm leaning towards Wii U, because it doesn't seem any different to the last time we saw it, but maybe the Wii U and Switch versions are going to be identical regardless. What do I know?

#36 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

iirc, someone on /r/zelda said that it was the Wii U version. Based upon the visible and jarring framerate drops at times. Going off tangent, you remember that little tune after Link mounted up during the Switch trailer? It's a remix of the original LoZ NES theme.

And yeah, I know Nintendo aren't all that big on the whole "continuity" stuff, but I'm definitely leaning towards it being set after Wind Waker.

#37 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:00 PM

New stuff from the Dorito and Dew show:

They're showing the Wii U version and the framerate is wretched, which makes me wonder if maybe they're intentionally trying to push people towards the Switch. But, eh, we know this game isn't coming out any time soon, so they could still fix it.

The music gives me chillsies every single time, it's just so lovely. I can't remember the last time a video game soundtrack hit me like this. The track from the E3 trailer and now this one are absolutely beautiful; I've just been playing the trailer in the background over and over. It also seems like the blue tunic is a uniform, considering it's sported by Link, that bird guy that zooms up to the airship, and the lady whose face we don't get to see but is totes Zelda. Probably a safe bet that they're this game's version of the Sheikahs, right?

EDIT - NO WAIT! On closer inspection, the lady at the end of the trailer standing by Link is wearing totally different clothes to the other lady:

WDm2fFo.jpg?1

f2hYrMV.jpg

I suppose they could both be Zelda, just wearing different clothes, but what if there are *gasp* two female characters!?

EDIT - GameXplain's 25 minute video on the Dorito footage:

#38 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

Here's the trailer from the Switch reveal event:

Like, oh my God, you guys, I think that's one of the best video game trailers I've ever seen, and I have watched a fair few in my life. When that music kicks in in the middle I just want ADVENTURE SO HARD!

I kind of think the Japanese version is even better, because Japanese Zelda just goes for it in her crying scene and it amps everything up even more:

The music in this game gives me the chillsies every time.

#39 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

That is a damn fine trailer. Do we know if the game will allow you to switch the voices to japanese? There's a part of me that doesn't want the people of Hyrule to speak anything other than Gibberish, and considering I know very little Japanese, that would work for me. :P

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#40 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

That is a damn fine trailer. Do we know if the game will allow you to switch the voices to japanese? There's a part of me that doesn't want the people of Hyrule to speak anything other than Gibberish, and considering I know very little Japanese, that would work for me. :P

Yeah, I feel the same. American accents in my Zelda just feel wrong. But I feel like the age of the Switch and its cartridges will probably be the end of dual-audio games. You can fit twice the audio data on a Blu Ray (FFXV has both audio tracks on disc, for example), but when you have to squeeze the game onto a cartridge they probably can't spare the space. I mean, you never know, but my new policy of not giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt any more has me thinking no :P

So on the subject of that music (that music!), the composer for Breath of the Wild has been revealed as Manaka Kataoka. She's worked on Wii Fit, Zelda Spirit Tracks, and the last couple of Animal Crossing games. I'm so glad Nintendo's given her a shot at the big time, though, because I honestly can't emphasise enough how hard BotW's score is hitting me in all these trailers. Even the most basic stuff like menu confirmations and the 'puzzle solved' jingle has its own unique feel, it's all so lively. This is shaping up to be a genuine contender to the throne of Best Video Game Soundtrack, right up there alongside Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users