• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:44 AM

So I posted a request on the "buildapcforme" Subreddit, and someone there messaged me saying I should check out this build. And since I'm completely illiterate in regards to hardware, I figured I should ask you guys about it.

Any thoughts?

#42 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:18 AM

Any thoughts?

It's pretty good except for the graphics card. If you can stretch that $220 to more like $250-270ish, I'd go for an Nvidia GTX 1060 or an AMD RX 480. Those are the current kings of the budget cards; the 960 is pretty out of date and wasn't all that great even when it was new. Never skimp on your graphics card, because that's where all the magic happens.

I'd also probably go for a larger SSD (250GB or maybe 500). It won't cost much more, and it's just much nicer to have more space. The SSD is where you'll install Windows and all your games, and with modern games regularly weighing in at 50GB or more it's nice to be able to have a few installed at once.

Lastly, you might want to go for 16GB of RAM rather than 8, but it's not a huge deal. The case, keyboard and mouse are all personal preference, and the rest is all much of a muchness.

#43 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

• Nova Member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the input! I guess I just bought a computer. Weird.

#44 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

I have a build pretty similar to that and even with a weaker CPU I can play whatever I please on max settings. However, a word to the wise, get a full tower not a mid! I have one and they're painfully small which makes upgrading for the future impossible unless I replace it. Also I don't think you can actually fit the regular 960 into one: I had to spend extra for a physically smaller card and it barely fits in.

Though that may just be me, that Amazon page has a ton of good and happy reviews. Full towers are pricier by like, at least $25 too which you'll want to put towards your card anyways.

EDIT: Oh also there's no reason to get a wannabe-pro-gamer keyboard+mouse unless you really want to. I personally just use Red Dragon stuff because it's miles beyond just using a stock or office-level Logitech keyboard/mouse without being much more expensive. Here's my keyboard and mouse (If you need the billion side-button type, they also have those too). And headphones, while I'm at it (Though they're not all that and a bag of chips: I'd say scout around through Amazon's other ~$25 headphone choices, they're almost all good).

Edited by The Captain, 03 September 2016 - 02:30 PM.

nY1rpGl.gif

#45 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

• Nova Member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:17 PM

I have a build pretty similar to that and even with a weaker CPU I can play whatever I please on max settings. However, a word to the wise, get a full tower not a mid! I have one and they're painfully small which makes upgrading for the future impossible unless I replace it. Also I don't think you can actually fit the regular 960 into one: I had to spend extra for a physically smaller card and it barely fits in.

Thanks for the tip Cap, but I kinda already bought everything when I made my last post. (And the last parts arrived when you made yours)

Gentlemen: Say hello to Calcifer.

EDIT: Oh also there's no reason to get a wannabe-pro-gamer keyboard+mouse unless you really want to. I personally just use Red Dragon stuff

Amusing anecdote: the guy that gave me the build did recommend some alternatives to the peripherals listed, but his KB/M wasn't in stock. Not wanting to wait the 3 weeks until it would get here, I started searching Amazon for a different one... And decided on a Redragon.

#46 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:31 PM

I really wish, with computer peripherals (keyboards especially) that there was a middle ground between boring office supplies and Elite Gamer Gear, but there really isn't outside of custom jobbies.

Anyways rip in piece GTX 770, you served me well but the 1070 is the new hotness.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#47 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:43 PM

Does that front panel have a dust filter or is it as open as it looks in that photo? Cause if there is no dust filter prepare to clean that case out around once a month, depending on how dusty your room/house gets. 

Also in a completely different topic labor day is the worst because it is delaying the delivery of the final two packages to complete my PC build stage 3. I want my RX480 and the power supply to run it dangit

Edited by Gentleman Psychopath, 04 September 2016 - 09:45 PM.

mudkip.png

#48 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

Was wondering if anyone can tell me where my current graphics card falls in the spectrum of the fancy graphics cards. I don't really intend to upgrade right now, since I can play everything I want at 60 on medium settings and hit the higher ones at less framerate--I'm just curious where mine stands.

It's an AMD Radeon R9 200. Is that low-end compared to the cards out now?

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#49 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

Was wondering if anyone can tell me where my current graphics card falls in the spectrum of the fancy graphics cards. I don't really intend to upgrade right now, since I can play everything I want at 60 on medium settings and hit the higher ones at less framerate--I'm just curious where mine stands.

It's an AMD Radeon R9 200. Is that low-end compared to the cards out now?

R9 200 what? Because that's just the like of GPU's or is it really just R9 200? :P Otherwise, Googling has led me to an AMD site listing a bunch of cards from R9 270 to an R9 295X2.

http://www.amd.com/e...ics/desktop/r9#

http://xfxforce.com/...r9-200-series#*

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#50 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:10 AM

This is the part where my ignorance on PCs shines through. I had to google how to tell what 3D card I had in the first place was, because I'm dumb and don't know. This is the screen that the directions I found told me to see.

2hf12jo.png

Is that helpful?

#51 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

Yeah for some reason the AMD cards only list the series.

Anyways the R9 200 series is basically a more budget friendly equivalent to the GTX 700 series from ~2013, which I just upgraded out of myself. So chances are you're cooking with a mid-range card from 3 years ago, pretty obsolete now, but serviceable for maybe another year or two.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#52 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

Cool, thanks. Maybe in about a year or so, before I ship off to grad school and lose all my money, I'll shell out some dough for a better one to get me through my poor time. 

#53 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

Yeah for some reason the AMD cards only list the series.

Anyways the R9 200 series is basically a more budget friendly equivalent to the GTX 700 series from ~2013, which I just upgraded out of myself. So chances are you're cooking with a mid-range card from 3 years ago, pretty obsolete now, but serviceable for maybe another year or two.

Oh man, I'm running a 560Ti from 2011... well, I bought it in 2013, but it's old as all hell now. I really need to upgrade both my RAM and GPU. :P

tqtEf64.gif

#54 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

Well, one of the hard drives in my gaming laptop finally died, after months of showing signs of degradation. And since my stupid machine was running RAID 0 (tip: never do RAID 0), one hard drive dies and everything's gone. RIP. On the plus side, I've been wanting to start from scratch all year but have been too lazy to run the Windows 10 "reset", so now I get to do that! I even replaced the old drive with a SSD and I'm installing WIndows 10 on that instead, so maybe the old beast will be a little faster now. Coupled with the new video card I got in January (although now I wish I'd waited for the nVidia 1000-series instead of getting a 970, but oh well), it's almost like I've got a whole new computer!

Not that I need one, since I mostly play super old games, lol. I'm pretty sure right after I installed the 970, the first game I played was... Age of Empires II. :P

EDIT:

lolololol

In the continuing misadventures of Scorp the pretend PC enthusiast, I accidentally installed the wrong version of Windows 10 (I had Home, not Pro) and I installed it on the wrong drive (the old HDD, not the new SSD). So here we go again! I'm gonna hit my ISP's monthly download limit for the month at this rate...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#55 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

Gentlemen: Say hello to Calcifer.

+1 for dat Sith lord aesthetic. Actual color-scheme goals for when I rehaul my beast.

nY1rpGl.gif

#56 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

EDIT:
lolololol
In the continuing misadventures of Scorp the pretend PC enthusiast, I accidentally installed the wrong version of Windows 10 (I had Home, not Pro) and I installed it on the wrong drive (the old HDD, not the new SSD). So here we go again! I'm gonna hit my ISP's monthly download limit for the month at this rate...

How big is the Windows 10 download? At that point you're better off downloading the OS to a USB (if it's big enough) and installing it through that every time something goes wrong. :P

tqtEf64.gif

#57 Ryoma

Ryoma

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

Can I be a dumbdumb? I was googling Nvidia 1060/1070 cards just to see how much they cost because I was curious, and I found a lot of different prices from a lot of different, for lack of better term, brands. Are these kind of graphics cards made by Nvidia and then sold by other companies? Is there a big difference between them?

#58 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:34 PM

Can I be a dumbdumb? I was googling Nvidia 1060/1070 cards just to see how much they cost because I was curious, and I found a lot of different prices from a lot of different, for lack of better term, brands. Are these kind of graphics cards made by Nvidia and then sold by other companies? Is there a big difference between them?

Well, one thing in particular to keep in mind is if you're looking at mobile gaming cards or desktop gaming cards. A card for a gaming laptop is always going to be massively more expensive than a desktop card. If you're not building a gaming laptop, avoid M's.

As for the different brands, that's a matter of the card's design and components. Basically - from what I know about this sort of thing, which admittedly isn't a whole lot - different manufacturers will take the Nvidia card's basic qualities and just do whatever the hell they want with it. This means different cooling systems, among other things. You'll want to keep in mind the quality of components that each manufacturer uses. They're all GTXes, they're just made by different manufacturers, if that makes sense.

So, for instance, I wouldn't recommend ASUS in general (although that's mostly for computers, as they load them down with bloatware to a ridiculous degree, among other things; I've never had an ASUS video card), and my bros and I have had trouble with MSI (just ask Scorp). I'm 99% sure (I honestly can't remember right now, lol) that I have an EVGA card in my computer, and I've been pretty happy with it so far. My computer's a Sager, a company I also highly recommend for a lot of reasons.

If all of/any of that is horribly wrong, feel free to correct me, especially if you're Ocey. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#59 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

^That's pretty much it. Some of them make it bigger and add extra fans, some of them mess around with factory overclocking, while some try to trim down the size/capacity so you can squeeze it into your PC (What I had to go for because I have a widdwe itty-bitty case).

If you're going with an Nvidia card, you can't go wrong with EVGA who are basically Nvidia's official card dealership anyways.

nY1rpGl.gif

#60 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,897 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, Wolfie's spot on. Nvidia designs all the graphics cards, but then they licence out that design to third party companies like EVGA, Asus, MSI and friends. Those third party companies will then produce exact copies of Nvidia's design, which are known as reference cards and usually look simple and boxy like this:

600.png

But they'll also make non-reference designs, which will usually come overclocked from the factory, might have slight differences to the circuit board, and will have different fan and cooling setups, like this:

600.png

Those are both Nvidia GTX 1070 cards built by MSI, but the bottom one is a whole lot bigger, runs a little faster, and (most importantly for me, because this is the one I bought :P) is dead silent because it has a much bigger heatsink and bigger fans that can spin more slowly.

I always end up reading a few reviews of various brands when I'm in the market for a new graphics card. They're all fairly similar at the end of the day, usually only differing by 2 or 3 FPS here and there, but sometimes there are more noticeable differences. The reason I went with MSI this time is because I read that their design runs the quietest, which I really like because my old card was a jet engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users