NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Wulfgard Comics Discussion

Wulfgard

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

#281 toast123

toast123

When in doubt...c4

• 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

They should probablly make like daeminuqies rival or "Evil twin sister" or something
:ph34r:

#282 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

• Nova Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

Hey when is the comic gonna start back up its been forever since the last episode? :viking:

#283 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

POPULAR

I've been getting ready to kick it back into gear for a while. It shouldn't be long now... things are coming together. Keep an eye out! :)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#284 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

For the last few days, I've been working my butt off rebuilding my webcomic site, after I accidentally broke the entire thing while trying to upgrade it. I'm determined to make it better than it was before.

If you go there and look around, you'll see that I've uploaded ALL of my comics, including SYWBAA and TTOM and Warbringer and even a new page of Wulfgard! Just browse around using the menu at the top. I'm planning to finish the skin(s) and add a few more pages and things before I officially go public with it, but you're free to take a look right now, and tell me what you think! And please report any broken links or images you might find (or any comics that are out of order). Thanks!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#285 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

Sweet Scorp! Thank you. I was starting to worry about that skin hehe. I guess the menu will also be looking better soon, and slightly more like the Lair's menu?
Also, I see that the art for Wulfgard is getting better :) That's nice! I seriously can't wait for more Warbringer, but I was wondering, have the script for the two comics already been written?

I hope to see the descriptions up soon, so we can get stuff like the Slashrim with the Mahlok armor. And a new comment section too, preferably one without stupid viagara-advertising spambots, which by the way seems to have infested your past wiki NR wiki site too...  And a simple dropbown menu with the pages for the comic you're reading, separate. And a share button. I'll stop demanding anymore now, it was just some advice.

Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#286 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

A wild new page appears!

Great new page! And going through each panel to point out specific things:

Panel 1: That bear is fantastic, and kind of cute. ^_^ If you know how to carve wood you should make those and sell em in the store. :P

Panel 2: I really like how you drew the Prince and the King, they both look really good and very noble, very Arthurian.

Panel 3: The Legionary (Legate?) has some pretty neat armor, I like the little detail of the omegas fastening the cloth and the little eagle emblem, although that bronze chest piece really clashes with his steel armor. :P Speaking of the armor, I'm curious about what that writing on the chest piece says.
Also that last dude looks like a complete and total snake. :P

And as just one bit of criticism, I'm not one to talk about backgrounds, but I feel like the last two panels could use a simple background since there's a lot of blank space. Maybe if you zoomed out on the characters just a little you could fit in a nice background.

Overall, looking great and I'm really glad to see you back and I hope you keep it up! :D

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#287 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for noticing. :)

Yeah, I hate backgrounds. I wish I could hire someone to just fill in all the backgrounds for me. :P There are a lot of artistic elements in this most recent chapter specifically that I'm not happy with. I'm rethinking the whole "colorized sketch" style. It was an experiment, and I'm not 100% happy with the results. I'm going to try a new style for the next chapter.

Panel 3: The Legionary (Legate?) has some pretty neat armor, I like the little detail of the omegas fastening the cloth and the little eagle emblem, although that bronze chest piece really clashes with his steel armor. :P Speaking of the armor, I'm curious about what that writing on the chest piece says.

The clashing was intentional. The breastplate is an ancient dwarven one that Legate Drausus found on a battlefield, made of bronze but inscribed with runes. He wears it as a trophy, since it seems to be all but indestructible.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#288 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for noticing. :)

Yeah, I hate backgrounds. I wish I could hire someone to just fill in all the backgrounds for me. :P There are a lot of artistic elements in this most recent chapter specifically that I'm not happy with. I'm rethinking the whole "colorized sketch" style. It was an experiment, and I'm not 100% happy with the results. I'm going to try a new style for the next chapter.

The clashing was intentional. The breastplate is an ancient dwarven one that Legate Drausus found on a battlefield, made of bronze but inscribed with runes. He wears it as a trophy, since it seems to be all but indestructible.

My pleasure. =)

Hah, yeah, backgrounds are a particularly daunting hill to climb, just gotta start peddling. :P
Hey, that's the nature of experimentation, sometimes it doesn't work out. And I dunno, I kinda like the sketchy style, but I'm curious to see what else ya got up your sleeve! For the sketchy art style I'd recommend you take a gander at this webcomic, The Zombie Hunters, since that artist has a pretty similar style to yours and she does the same coloring sketches style of art. (Which personally I could really use a little tutorial on since I have no bloody idea how to make sketches color-able. :P)

Hah, neat! What do the runes say?

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#289 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

(Which personally I could really use a little tutorial on since I have no bloody idea how to make sketches color-able. :P)

Personally here's what I do: In Photoshop, add a new layer above your sketch. Set the layer style to "Multiply". Then use the marquee tool to select the sections you want to color, and fill them in with either a solid color or a gradient. Fill in large sections first - like the entire background of a frame - and then work your way down to the smaller and smaller details. With the layer set to Multiply, the sketch in the background will be completely preserved and still visible, but tinted the colors you want.

Hah, neat! What do the runes say?

Who knows? Few can read such ancient enchanted runes apart from Odin himself, who sacrificed one of his eyes for the secret knowledge... :ph34r:

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#290 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

Another page has been posted!

"Northtown" has been ret-conned to "Rimegard" ... unless I think of something better, in which case it may get retconned again.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#291 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

Yes! The King put that cocky young knight in his place! Wiser heads prevail. And the princess is certainly a willful one. Hopefully the Skiera's are secure enough in power that they won't worry about her insulting some nobles with firm rebuffs (ie. the duke). Anyway, I'm glad you've picked it back up again and I'm trying to figure out how it all comes together. The assassins connect with the Wanderer easily enough, but who's Kye supposed to assassinate? What does the war have to do with it all? Hmm...

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#292 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

Let's move, so we can wrap up this chapter! NEW PAGE GO!

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#293 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

Daaaaang son. Pumpin' out them pages. I'm only slightly worried about the massive wait after this chapter is finished. :P

So...random knight of the Sapphire Star? Not that that's a new strip, but rereading for clarity I noticed. Also, Legate Drausus seems like a champ. That chiselled jaw, that large nose, that receding hairline, that manly man legate armor...I need me some more Drausus in this comic.

But yeah. Good stuff.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#294 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Member
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Scorp, yo flippin' stud! These last few pages are so just the yummiest! And barely any wait in-between 'em? It's like a Holiday or some crazy-wicked crap like that!

RNGcoloredntouched%20-%20Copy_zpsy9qggiv

... keep your paper heart away from me.

#295 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

I re-read from the beginning up to the latest chapter. I'm really enjoying this, but I have to ask: Is the idea of the inquisitor and magic being illegal inspired from Dragon Age? :P
My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#296 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Loving the new updates Scorp, but why exactly is the king talking to himself in the first panel of the latest comic?

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#297 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

Are these comics really going to be published regularly?
Posted Image

The only thing that would dazzle me more is an update in CYOA... :ninja:

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#298 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

I re-read from the beginning up to the latest chapter. I'm really enjoying this, but I have to ask: Is the idea of the inquisitor and magic being illegal inspired from Dragon Age? :P

Ah yes, that unlucky coincidence... :[
One of the first things Wolfy and I decided about Wulfgard was that magic would be rare, mysterious, unstable, and feared by most people. We quickly decided there would be an Inquisition to hunt down suspected magi. The old witch hunt. Then Dragon Age came out a couple of years later, and we were like, "Well crap."
It's funny, when we first started work on Wulfgard, we thought the "low fantasy, low magic" approach would make it more unique, because at the time it seemed like everything was super high fantasy, positively bursting with magic. But now, low fantasy has definitely taken the spotlight. Even high fantasy settings seem to go out of their way to portray themselves as gritty and realistic, giving a more low fantasy atmosphere. What goes around, I guess...

Loving the new updates Scorp, but why exactly is the king talking to himself in the first panel of the latest comic?

Darn it, I thought I uploaded the fixed one! Okay, fixed now.

Last page of the chapter! :D

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#299 Horatius

Horatius

I am smarter in the books

• Nova Member
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Three right in a row! Yeah! I hope King Eltan Skiera can balance his diplomacy with the Empire and the Beornings to avoid total war. He seems pretty competent and able, but it's still quite a job (which I think is going to prove too much for him). But more importantly, how does it all connect!?!?!

Then out spake brave Horatius,

The Captain of the Gate:

"To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late.

And how can man die better

Than facing fearful odds,

For the ashes of his fathers,

And the temples of his gods."

#300 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Ah yes, that unlucky coincidence... :[
One of the first things Wolfy and I decided about Wulfgard was that magic would be rare, mysterious, unstable, and feared by most people. We quickly decided there would be an Inquisition to hunt down suspected magi. The old witch hunt. Then Dragon Age came out a couple of years later, and we were like, "Well crap."
It's funny, when we first started work on Wulfgard, we thought the "low fantasy, low magic" approach would make it more unique, because at the time it seemed like everything was super high fantasy, positively bursting with magic. But now, low fantasy has definitely taken the spotlight. Even high fantasy settings seem to go out of their way to portray themselves as gritty and realistic, giving a more low fantasy atmosphere. What goes around, I guess...

Ah, that is indeed unfortunate. Though I think it would be a stretch to call Wulfgard low-fantasy, considering all the various monsters and magic stuff we have seen in this issue alone. :Then again, it certainly does have elements of low-fantasy, so I guess it depends how you define low-fantasy.

Personally, I love both high and low fantasy if it's done right. The high-fantasy LOTR will (obviously) always be the ultimate fantasy universe, however after studying the War of the Roses rather in-depth, I personally am not upset by the current focus on low-fantasy, and I really like the elements of both that are incorporated into Wulfgard. Oh, and I assume all the Imperial and Roman vibes I'm getting were also conceived long before The Elder Scrolls went for that aesthetic? :P

edit: Also worth adding, I wrote a very similar thing to your Inquisitor outline there before I first encountered that one in your comic. The main difference being there was no sort of "tower" the mages were locked in, they were just all killed. Anyway, I digress.

Edited by Darknoon, 28 February 2013 - 06:29 AM.

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users