• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

Who really thinks about the motivation behind their characters in first-person shooters, or for that matter, about the people they're shooting (even if they're innocent civilians, i.e. No Russian)? Certainly no one I've ever talked to about it. :rolleyes:

It gets brought up with Uncharted all the time, actually - probably because of the characters being so well-written and human. People questioning why a character such as Nate would go around shooting tons of people in the face and then making smart remarks about it is what got the aforementioned [WONDROUS] smart remarks removed from Uncharted 3's single player gameplay. Oh, and these people who did/do complain about Nate's remarks? I hate them.

But I could write entire articles on how stupid that argument is, so I won't go into all that. Just saying: some people do apparently think about it, if the character(s) in question are enough like real people to even bring up the thought.

Anyway, hey guys! I'm just gonna endorse what Harrow said right here.

Hey, hey guys. Are we done yet? I don't mean to undermine your lovely discourse on ethics and certain 20th Century political movements, but we seem to be getting ever so slightly out of hand. Just a little.

I mean, sure, I'm all for big political discussions, but this is neither the place nor the time. In general, Nazism is a topic that only raises cocked brows and the thunderous hammerings of keyboards across the entire board.
As the great Warseer forum once said:

"THOU SHALT NOT DISCUSS THE [EXPLETIVE]ING NAZIS!"

Could we return to discussing things we'd like to see in games that don't involve such a touchy issue?
Much appreciated,
-Your favourite occasional backseat moderator

Let's cut back on the politics now, please. There's a reason I never go into the News & Politics topic, and I'd hate to see it leak from that wretched lair. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#82 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

guys, seriously cool it. This is not the place for it. You want to got toe-to-toe shoot me a PM and I will happily oblige. This is not the topic for this.

Anyways, as unknown said previously, I too would love to play a game as the Canadians as well.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#83 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

I'm feeling Le Sly de Solitaire's Idea. More intuitive swordfighting in a low fantasy or medieval game would be the most awesome thing ever.
They could probably do something like that with the Connect or the Move, and if they combined that with an awesome story and some really cool different tutorials on techniques to use, they could make a really sweet game. All of that dodging and parrying and whatnot could get really tiring for some people though, and I definitely prefer using a controller over those new fangled motion capture devices, so here's hoping they do something with the motion sensors in the controller. Hey, if they did, then all of those people (including myself) that start tilting their controller because they think it will help will finally be good at video games! :P

#84 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

I picked up Halo 3 the other day and I found myself surprised when I pulled L-trigger and I didn't go down an ironsight, but rather threw a grenade. It was such an odd feeling that I didn't get used to until later.

I honestly wonder what I want out of my next-gen games. I don't care for better graphics. Maybe buff up on soundtracks? Good games have great soundtracks that users go out of their way to get.

In the end, I'm still waiting on Beyond Good and Evil 2, Psychonauts 2, and Mirror's Edge 2.

giphy.gif

#85 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:50 AM

I'm feeling Le Sly de Solitaire's Idea. More intuitive swordfighting in a low fantasy or medieval game would be the most awesome thing ever.
They could probably do something like that with the Connect or the Move, and if they combined that with an awesome story and some really cool different tutorials on techniques to use, they could make a really sweet game. All of that dodging and parrying and whatnot could get really tiring for some people though, and I definitely prefer using a controller over those new fangled motion capture devices, so here's hoping they do something with the motion sensors in the controller. Hey, if they did, then all of those people (including myself) that start tilting their controller because they think it will help will finally be good at video games! :P

Yeah. I dislike having to use Kinect/Move/Wii to do stuff when it can be possible with a controller (I'm not lazy, I just lack the room in my house to swing...)

Due to deletion because of a *AHEM* moment earlier Iíll just reword my old thoughts :P

Combat that makes use of having two hands with far more control. Button mashing/clicking 20 times is not working. Maybe one or two pre-programmed combos is cool, but I despise memorizing something for a game just to actually do something cool. I want to be awesome without all the work. There is so much to combat that one never realizes until you are actually training. Voiding, dodging, parrying, counter-strikes, and stepping to attack from a different angle. All crucial to battle but rarely seen in video game melee systems.

I want swords of varying size, weight, and abilities. Longswords have 2 cutting edges and have far more control with 2 hands. Falchions are lighter and great for slashing and grappling. I want the ability to block and go from that block into a diagonal slash into his gut. I want armor that ACTUALLY WORKS. I want shields that DO NOT BREAK TO SWORDS AND ARROWS.

Letís take the Xbox Controller (Note: arbitrary choice): There are keypad, 2 bumpers, 2 triggers, 4 buttons, and 2 sticks. Keypad for weapon selections (Youíre a human, not a walking armory. 4 Weapons is ideal for someone entering combat). Analogs control a hand each. Each trigger controls an action for their respective hand. Move analog, pull trigger you have a right hand directional swing.* Press forward with left analog and pull left trigger, you have a punch. The bumpers can do grapples (with open hand) and can start a block (with an armed hand). Buttons can be added to change edge alignment, stab, kick, and BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH! Baiscally I have little to no idea how to execute it: BUT I WANT EET

The only problem that arises is the need for a movement oneÖ Suggestions?

*Note: With using 2-handed weapons the analog set as your primary hand will be in control. Having 2-handed weapons means that you can stop attacks faster and with easier control.

Also, again with the jousting: The hand-eye coordination for jousting is AMAZING and controlling all of that at once and then have to duel after you are unhorsed would be SO AWESOME!!!!

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#86 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

I picked up Halo 3 the other day and I found myself surprised when I pulled L-trigger and I didn't go down an ironsight, but rather threw a grenade. It was such an odd feeling that I didn't get used to until later.

It's great, isn't it? Halo pioneered the off-hand grenade button you know.
Old timer

#87 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:14 AM

It's great, isn't it? Halo pioneered the off-hand grenade button you know.

It's true. I had to change my entire playstyle and everything. I forgot how things were. I forgot the fun of driving balanced vehicles (I had just come from Bad Company 1, and is disappointed). I forgot the joy of local co-op and going after big guns and grabbing skulls. It's just a good game, holds up over time and still popular.

giphy.gif

#88 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

It's true. I had to change my entire playstyle and everything. I forgot how things were. I forgot the fun of driving balanced vehicles (I had just come from Bad Company 1, and is disappointed). I forgot the joy of local co-op and going after big guns and grabbing skulls. It's just a good game, holds up over time and still popular.

yeah, one of the reasons why I was disappointed with Reach. The new additions didn't help the game like equipment in Halo 3 helped. Still, I would love to see the return of Halo 2/Halo 3 gameplay in Halo 4 with maybe some Reach stuff and have almost all the guns if possible.
Old timer

#89 Whitescarver

Whitescarver

Syn >=(

• Nova Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

Armor abilities are the only thing that leaves a nasty taste about Reach for me.
Halo practically defined modern console shooters as we know them today, if any studio has a chance of doing so again it'd be 343i and their rock solid team.
Ws3P3v5.gif

#90 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,109 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

As for me. I honestly would love to see an FPS take on the challenge of sword fighting and the medieval times. Thing is its a risk and most developers are scared of risking it. It would be cool though. There was one FPS/RPG MMO that was in development up until 2010 I believe that had lots of medieval stuff and no levels, but skills instead that you earned up as you used them. Game died though. I think it would be awesome to have a game in Jedi Knight style third person with sword fighting and medieval combat. There are no explosions and bullets though and that is something everyone is afraid of living without apparently.

Fantasy FPS has yet to happen, but it would have been cool if Intel didn't kill its first chance.

I think it would be awesome to have a few more westerns and maybe a game based on the foundation of American with Native Americans and the Civil War.

Cyberpunk FPS is also a dream of mine. I have had many ideas of a game based on this type of theme.

What I am really excited about is Open RL and Imagination Tech. They have been progressing rather quickly with Open RL and possibility of releasing a mainstream Graphics card in 2012/2013 with such technology. Open RL is a full on ray tracing API that supports a GPU instead of a CPU or something to that extent. They are hoping to make it open source to be supported by all. So AMD and NVIDIA might support it at some point in the future. Its very exciting news if Imagination Tech can make a comparable level desktop Graphics card that is. They support all the APIs on the market so DirectX 11.1, Open GL 4.x, ES, CL, RL so.. I just wonder if it will make it to a console.

Photorealism lighting and models + Destruction + Choatic debris. :P Can't wait for next generation. I can already imagine Battlefield 4 and Frostbite 3.0

Trotsky is a drunken tiger when it comes to his opinions. Don't hold any attention to him - he communicates... differently.

Anyways, I want a fast, arcade-y first person shooter, something along the lines of Unreal Tournament (or just a new UT).

What about Nexuiz? CryEngine 3. UT Playstyle fast pace madness.

Here's one thing that I would really, really freakin' love and pay lots of money for: a fantasy FPS. Something like the now-deceased Project Offset. It would be so relieving to get a shooter that isn't set in either 2020 or 2500. Give me an epic high-fantasy FPS and I'll be set for life.

Make it happen, devs.

Well there is Prey 2, but I know whatcha mean. I was in love with Project Offset's concept and design. At least they are to give us Hawken though. Maybe it can help fund them releasing a Fantasy FPS in the future like Offset. Adhesive Games maker of Hawken is part of Offset team of developers. Frativ studio is other part of team I believe which is set on mobile games.

Next Batch of consoles...........

PS4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops - 2016

Scorpio - 6 Tflops - 2017

NX - 2017 - Mario Mushrooms, and Link's Hat powered device. 

PS5 - 2019/2020 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

XBNext - 2019/2020/2021 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

-My old forum.

#91 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

I believe someone said something about Psychonauts 2?
Sure, it's a pipe dream, but that's closer to being tangible than what we had before.

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#92 Absoul The Reindeer

Absoul The Reindeer

Who does not have a shiny nose.

• Nova Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Fantasy FPS would be cool. If you made the main character a bowman or something, you could have a bunch of weapons like Slingshot, Recurve bow, Longbow and Crossbow.

There could even throw in a magic staff for teh 'sploshuns if they wanted.

#93 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

If you guys are looking for a fantasy FPS, I recommend giving Dark Messiah: Might & Magic a try. It's dated, and the online multiplayer is dead, but it runs on the Source engine and does a much better job with first-person fantasy combat than, oh, say... the Elder Scrolls games. The story is cheesy as heck, but the gameplay is really fun.

As much as I'd love to have a fantasy FPS (anything that breaks genre-setting conventions is cool with me - hell, I'd play a WW2 RPG!), there's a lot that could be done in a medieval FPS as well. Allow me to elaborate...

you could have a bunch of weapons like Slingshot, Recurve bow, Longbow and Crossbow.

Don't forget javelins. Everyone leaves them out. And there are all sorts of crossbows as well. They could include high-powered Arbalests in place of sniper rifles and Polybolos in place of machine gun turrets. And don't forget different types of arrows, like Broadheads for doing maximum damage to flesh, and Bodkins for piercing armor. Like the arrows in Thief, but less magical.

What would also be awesome is for a medieval game to actually incorporate how melee weapons are meant to be used in different ways. So instead of the same lame hacking and slashing with every single melee weapon, you would have to choose your weapons strategically. If fighting an opponent in plate mail armor, you should switch to a warhammer unless you think you can pierce the joints of the armor by stabbing with the point of your broadsword. If you have a curved sword, you're screwed, because those are only good for slashing, which is useless against plate armor. They would have the advantage in tight quarters or when slicing at an enemy from horseback. Horseback fighting would be a must in this game, of course.

I could carry on at great length, but I'll stop now.

And yes yes, I know I need to play Mount & Blade. I intend to do so eventually; I just haven't found time yet. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#94 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hunted played like a third person shooter. You had a full cover system, turret sections, explosive barrels-
As mediocre a game it was, getting a friend who can stand ridiculous armour designs and repetition makes a highly entertaining co-op experience.

The melee combat is still awful, though.

#95 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hunted played like a third person shooter. You had a full cover system, turret sections, explosive barrels-
As mediocre a game it was, getting a friend who can stand ridiculous armour designs and repetition makes a highly entertaining co-op experience.

The melee combat is still awful, though.

It really was a pretty fun game. My friend forced me to play it with him, and I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. The melee really was just awful though, even playing as the guy, I found myself just hiding and shooting most of the time.

And yeah, Mount and Blade was pretty cool. I was kind of obsessed with it for awhile, but then it just got kind of old. The combat was good... but It wasn't great. Fun game, could of been better. I like the idea of a multiplayer medieval FPS though. You really could do quite a lot.

#96 Tyrannical Tim

Tyrannical Tim

SCREW ALL YA'LL IT I'M OUT YO

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Don't forget javelins. Everyone leaves them out. And there are all sorts of crossbows as well. They could include high-powered Arbalests in place of sniper rifles and Polybolos in place of machine gun turrets. And don't forget different types of arrows, like Broadheads for doing maximum damage to flesh, and Bodkins for piercing armor. Like the arrows in Thief, but less magical.

What would also be awesome is for a medieval game to actually incorporate how melee weapons are meant to be used in different ways. So instead of the same lame hacking and slashing with every single melee weapon, you would have to choose your weapons strategically. If fighting an opponent in plate mail armor, you should switch to a warhammer unless you think you can pierce the joints of the armor by stabbing with the point of your broadsword. If you have a curved sword, you're screwed, because those are only good for slashing, which is useless against plate armor. They would have the advantage in tight quarters or when slicing at an enemy from horseback. Horseback fighting would be a must in this game, of course.

I could carry on at great length, but I'll stop now.

And yes yes, I know I need to play Mount & Blade. I intend to do so eventually; I just haven't found time yet. :P

M&B Warband has all of that :P
Well, cept the realistic armor hitting stuff.
RIP Brave Members of the 2/29/12 bombing.
Posted Image

#97 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

Plumber

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

[rant]Broadswords do not exits. There are arming/knight's/knightly swords (one-handed) and long swords (two-handed) and bastard swords (2-handed but length of arming sword). Broadsword is a term coined by museums to make a difference between swords that happened to have a wider blade than others.[/rant]

They also need: Ability to half-sword: one hand on blade to help guide your stabs and use it like a canopener on an armored opponent. Popular tactic amongst armored combantants. and how you can do so many awesome blocking tricks with that one... AND The ability to flip your longsword around and smash heads in via the murder stroke. I'm dead serious. There are a few Blizzard employees in my swords group and they are trying to see if they can bring the real skill and finesse of sword fighting into the video game realm. Alas, little to no luck so far.

M&B Warband has all of that :P
Well, cept the realistic armor hitting stuff.

... IT NEEDS MOAR. And even moar dynamic combat...

gplus-1832912543.gif

Non ergo in te vocabo

#98 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,923 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

[rant]Broadswords do not exits. There are arming/knight's/knightly swords (one-handed) and long swords (two-handed) and bastard swords (2-handed but length of arming sword). Broadsword is a term coined by museums to make a difference between swords that happened to have a wider blade than others.[/rant]

Bahhh, I know it's not technically correct; I was just trying to make it clear that I was talking about a straight, double-edged blade. :P Though, I was under the impression that "long sword" was a pretty vague term that didn't necessarily mean a 2-hander... Are you sure about that one?

The ability to flip your longsword around and smash heads in via the murder stroke. I'm dead serious.

Geralt does that sometimes in the Witcher as a finishing move. Always makes me think "He must have very thick gloves..."

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#99 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Geralt does that sometimes in the Witcher as a finishing move. Always makes me think "He must have very thick gloves..."

Not to mention the one where he barrels a combatant over and repeatedly stabs him in the chest, or the one where he slits an assailant's throat from behind.
Here's Geralt performing a death smash.
The Witcher really gets across the idea that Geralt is a highly efficient and incredibly precise killer.

Warband lacks many of the features listed. Popular mod Blood and Steel features half-swording, as vanilla Mount&Blade doesn't. It also has completely new animations and sounds, some of which only highlight the poor audio and rigid animation of the default game.

#100 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Though, I was under the impression that "long sword" was a pretty vague term that didn't necessarily mean a 2-hander... Are you sure about that one?

Considering we both train in Germanic longsword: Very sure.

EDIT:

Fantasy FPS would be cool. If you made the main character a bowman or something, you could have a bunch of weapons like Slingshot, Recurve bow, Longbow and Crossbow.

There could even throw in a magic staff for teh 'sploshuns if they wanted.

So you mean 'FPS' in the terms of there's pretty much only shooting? :/

Edited by Le Capitaine, 08 February 2012 - 10:42 PM.

nY1rpGl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users