• Please log in to reply
7728 replies to this topic

#7681 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,226 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:37 AM

More news on the Switch upgrade front, from the Wall Street Journal:

Nintendo Co. plans to launch two new versions of its Switch gaming console as early as this summer, people familiar with the matter said, as the company seeks to sustain sales momentum for the product going into a crucial third year.

One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers, although it won’t be as powerful as Sony Corp.’s Playstation 4 Pro or Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox One X, according to parts suppliers and software developers for Nintendo who have access to a prototype of the machine.

So there's one powerful boi and one smaller, cheaper, less powerful one designed to take over the 3DS market. And they're saying they could be coming as early as this Summer, which is pretty cool. I'll have to see how it all turns out, but I'd definitely be up for a Pro Switch, assuming it's still portable.

#7682 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,127 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:34 AM

Throughout the years, Tolkien fans have been spoiled with a vast array of video games inspired by his series of epic novels. From the open world of Shadow of Mordor to the immersive multiplayer of Lord of the Rings Online, the franchise has been crafted into a diverse interactive experience various times over the years. Now gamers will get to experience Lord of the Rings in digital form once again, with an upcoming action-adventure title by German studio, Daedalic.   

‘Lord of the Rings: Gollum’ presents a brand-new take on the world of Middle Earth, focusing on the titular antagonist and his ill-fated journey. Daedalic is usually known for their attention to narrative, especially when it comes to point and click adventures. Now the award-winning studio is hoping to create an experience that will become a staple part of the Lord of the Rings franchise. 

In contrast to most video games and media, this title intends to use the books as its source material, rather than tying in with other pop culture iterations. This holds true with the logo for the game, which implements its own stylized take on LOTR’s branding. At an exclusive press event, The Daily Star was able to have a chat with Carsten Fichtelman, CEO and founder of Daedalic entertainment.

Lord of the Rings: Gollum. Yep you get to play as the little guy from Lotr. Its a single player story based thing. Not sure exactly how it goes, but it could be interesting. Not planned to be released until at least 2021 though.

Amazon has dropped the price of Playstation Now by 40 bucks. Now its the same price as a year of PSPlus. Interesting idea just week after Google's Stadia thing. Could have tipped the hat on a possible cut announcement by Sony later today in their Playstation Direct.

<p><strong><span style="color:#3399ff;">Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.</span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="color:#000000;">PS5</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 12.9 Tflops <span style="color:#000000;"><strong>June? or Feb? 2020 <span style="font-size:10px;">Sony has gone off script. 2020 part is definite. </span></strong></span></p><p><strong><span style="color:#008000;">XB4</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 12 Tflops.  <strong>JUNE 2020</strong></p><p><strong><span style="color:#ff0000;"><span style="font-size:12px;">Switch 2/ Switch Go?</span></span></strong> - <span style="font-size:10px;">Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms.  </span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size:12px;">-<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.tapatalk...4gaming/'><spanstyle="color:#ff0000;">New Tapatalk thing. They destroyed my old board.</span></a></span>

#7683 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

Finally, a developer that can count to 3.

#7684 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

Borderlands 3 has been officially revealed, and surprisingly Gearbox Software seems to have turned over a new leaf and gone for a more subtle style of humo- no, I'm kidding it's still 100% memes.

There's also a GOTY edition of Borderlands 1 coming to PS4 and Xbox One next week and a 4K patch coming to Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. And Gearbox is bringing Bulletstorm to Switch, too.

And in other news, Warcraft 1 and 2 are now available on GOG, separately or in a bundle.

#7685 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

Stay tuned for the "We're proud to announce our partnership with Epic Games..." announcement on April 3.

cZdBpl2.jpg

#7686 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,127 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

Intel is stepping into the GPU market with the Intel Xe2 series. Of course this is leaked from an internal press Event. I assume their first GPUs are server GPUs because they have such high Tflops for this first release, but they claim to have solved a long problem that has always existed with GPUs. Dual GPUs usually only gain like 20% performance for the second GPU at max. Intel claims they have solved that issue entirely. Their first GPU is coming in 2020 with 2 GPUs and about 66 TFlops for only $699? Massive power use though. About 350 W. Crazy I know. *Edit* Honestly this could be an April's fools thing.

Noone seems to liked Sony's Playstation Direct Episode. Well 80% of it was VR games. Days Gone and Mortal Kombat 11 had new bits.

The Outer Worlds

Wolfenstien Youngblood. Bit of Language. Co-op maybe?

Bless (XB1 for now) Action Free to Play rpg

ADDED:

June 11 to 13

It’s almost that time of year…

…and we’re as excited as you are! Luckily, you can learn about all the newest game announcements, tournament news, and Nintendo’s E3 plans right here, so stay tuned.

June 8

• Battle to be the best – Players from around the globe will face off in electrifying Nintendo game tournaments. Who will come out on top? Tune in on Saturday June 8 and find out!
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate World Championship 2019 3-versus-3 – Watch players smash their way to the top. Join the party as players from around the world battle in this international tournament.
  • Splatoon 2 World Championship 2019 – Ink or be Inked! Get inked with some of the world’s top squid squads as they face off for the championship.

Nintendo has launched its E3 Website. Apparently after skipping for a bit they are back at the event.

<p><strong><span style="color:#3399ff;">Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.</span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="color:#000000;">PS5</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 12.9 Tflops <span style="color:#000000;"><strong>June? or Feb? 2020 <span style="font-size:10px;">Sony has gone off script. 2020 part is definite. </span></strong></span></p><p><strong><span style="color:#008000;">XB4</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 12 Tflops.  <strong>JUNE 2020</strong></p><p><strong><span style="color:#ff0000;"><span style="font-size:12px;">Switch 2/ Switch Go?</span></span></strong> - <span style="font-size:10px;">Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms.  </span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size:12px;">-<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.tapatalk...4gaming/'><spanstyle="color:#ff0000;">New Tapatalk thing. They destroyed my old board.</span></a></span>

#7687 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

Stay tuned for the "We're proud to announce our partnership with Epic Games..." announcement on April 3.

gegRACw.jpg

#7688 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

Wolfenstien Youngblood. Bit of Language. Co-op maybe?

What? A Co-op campaign in the year of our Lord 2019?

DigitalDamagedHyracotherium-size_restric

#7689 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:41 PM

As much as it causes me physical pain to link to anything from Kotaku:

cBiaN0v.png

#7690 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:40 PM

The text version of Jason Schreier's article is a great read. Some choice quotes:

Very few things went right in the development of BioWare’s latest game, an online cooperative shooter that was first teased in mid-2012 but spent years floundering in pre-production. Many features weren’t finalised or implemented until the very final months, and to some who worked on the project, it wasn’t even clear what kind of game Anthem even was until that E3 demo in June of 2017, less than two years before it actually came out.

Perhaps most alarming, it’s a story about a studio in crisis. Dozens of developers, many of them decade-long veterans, have left BioWare over the past two years. Some who have worked at BioWare’s longest-running office in Edmonton talk about depression and anxiety. Many say they or their co-workers had to take “stress leave” - a doctor-mandated period of weeks or even months worth of vacation for their mental health.

One former BioWare developer told me they would frequently find a private room in the office, shut the door, and just cry. “People were so angry and sad all the time,” they said. Said another: “Depression and anxiety are an epidemic within Bioware.”

This one's particularly brutal:

“I actually cannot count the amount of ‘stress casualties’ we had on Mass Effect: Andromeda or Anthem,” said a third former BioWare developer in an email. “A ‘stress casualty’ at BioWare means someone had such a mental breakdown from the stress they’re just gone for one to three months. Some come back, some don’t.”

Some of the developers interviewed talked about 'needing' Dragon Age Inquisition to fail so upper management would realise that Bioware's approach to making games needed to change. It just seems like they've been working with a terrible engine, chewing up and spitting out employees in a meat grinder of endless crunch for years on end, never learning any lessons, and the end product is stuff like ME Andromeda and Anthem.

Bioware and EA's representatives have, predictably, gone into full power damage control with a reply written before the article was published, so they obviously had it ready to go pre-emptively, with the usual "We hear the criticisms" platitudes that they won't do anything about. Same as Rockstar came out bragging about their 100-hour work weeks, made a half-hearted apology and then just waited for the storm to blow over so they didn't have to change anything. Video games are bad and nothing ever changes for the better.

Anyway, this new game Darkborn looks pretty cool. Shame about the terrible name (it was called 'Project Wight' in the early stages, which is way better), but it looks kind of like a Dishonored where you play as a little monster being hunted by Vikings:

#7691 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:48 PM

That Darkborn game looks interesting, but that name...ugh.

Maybe call it Grendal? That's what the creature reminded me of, anyways.

#7692 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:39 PM

That Darkborn game looks interesting, but that name...ugh.

Maybe call it Grendal? That's what the creature reminded me of, anyways.

Literally anything but Darkborn, honestly. There's already a game named Bloodborne, there are already like fifty games that start with 'Dark-' (Darksiders, Darkstalkers, Dark Sector, Dark Void, Dark Dreams Don't Die, Dark Cloud, Dark Souls, etc). Terrible.

Anyway, in Switch news, Best Buy's website has just leaked Persona 5, Metroid Prime Trilogy and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as upcoming Switch games. I hope those rumoured new Switch models come sooner rather than later, because I want to play all of those bad boys. Hopefully we might get one last Nintendo Direct before E3.

btw, I just got up to this part of Schreier's Anthem article and it explains so, so much:

...although even mentioning the word Destiny was taboo at BioWare. (Diablo III was the preferred reference point.) A few people who worked on the game said that trying to make comparisons to Destiny would elicit negative reactions from studio leadership. “We were told quite definitively, ‘This isn’t Destiny,’” said one developer...

...Because leadership didn’t want to discuss Destiny, that developer added, they found it hard to learn from what Bungie’s loot shooter did well. “We need to be looking at games like Destiny because they’re the market leaders,” the developer said. “They’re the guys who have been doing these things best. We should absolutely be looking at how they’re doing things.” As an example, the developer brought up the unique feel of Destiny’s large variety of guns, something that Anthem seemed to be lacking, in large part because it was being built by a bunch of people who had mostly made RPGs.

Imagine being a developer on that project, making what is obviously a game exactly like Destiny, being told "No it isn't" by your clueless bosses, and just watching helplessly as you fall into all the same traps that game did along the way.

#7693 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,359 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:40 AM

I mean they could have compared it to Warframe then and ended up doing things better than Destiny did :V

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#7694 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,919 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

Warframe is by far the best loot shooter out there, there's a reason it's been going strong for 6 years now.

Destiny 1 took 3 DLC's before it was good, a full year. For Destiny 1, it took me a few weeks to finish all the content as each expansion came out. Then Destiny 2 came out while I was gone and deemed it wasn't worth the endless catching up to do as a timesink and moneysink.

As for Warframe, it took me 6 years to clear the Star Chart, in other words, complete every mission at least once. I didn't have to restart when I got home, I could enjoy 2 years of FREE content on top of the previous 4 years of free content on the same account/character.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#7695 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:34 AM

TW_WIRE-April-Titles_W2_JPG-hero.jpg

The April lineup for Xbox Game Pass is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT BONKS, and I'm so glad I bought one of these things. I'm really looking forward to trying Monster Hunter World; I've come really close to buying it multiple times, so good thing I waited.

In other news:

Dontnod has announced an 'ambitious' new project in partnership with Focus Home Interactive. Their first game together was Vampyr, which I absolutely loved, so I can't wait to see what this is. Dontnod is quickly becoming one of my favourite developers.

- The full reveal of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is coming at Star Wars Celebration this weekend. You may remember this game as the one EA announced at its last E3 conference by just holding a microphone up to some dude in the audience.

- This Rage 2 footage is actually looking cooler than I expected:

#7696 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,359 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:57 AM

I'm gonna lean in and recommend you find people to play with when you can try MH:W. It's great, but like half the games in my library its a much better experience with a friend (or three, but once you get more than one person with you, you lose your cat pal).

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#7697 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:08 PM

Cinematic reveal trailer for Fallen Order. No gameplay, but they're 100% saving that for E3.

#7698 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,191 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:00 PM

Cinematic reveal trailer for Fallen Order. No gameplay, but they're 100% saving that for E3.

This is a story game, no multiplayer, no microtransactions, about being a Jedi.

I'm PUMPED I tell ya

lWZ8e6F.png

#7699 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,226 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:14 PM

Cautious hype. I expect great things from the people who made Titanfall 2, and a singleplayer, story-focused Star Wars game with no microtransactions is something I never expected EA to publish in 2019. The actual trailer doesn't really boil my potato in terms of, like, story or characters (it kind of just seems like the miserable opening act of Solo made into a full game, and the protagonist doesn't do it for me), but I'm excited to see some gameplay. They got the Titanfall wallrun in there, so that's a good start.

More info from the Microsoft store page:

A galaxy-spanning adventure awaits in STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order, a new 3rd person action-adventure title from Respawn Entertainment. This narratively-driven single player game puts you in the role of a Jedi Padawan who narrowly escaped the purge of Order 66 following the events of Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. On a quest to rebuild the Jedi Order, you must pick up the pieces of your shattered past to complete your training, develop new powerful Force abilities, and master the art of the iconic lightsaber - all while staying one step ahead of the Empire and its deadly Inquisitors. 

While mastering your abilities, players will engage in cinematically-charged lightsaber and Force combat designed to deliver the kind of intense STAR WARS lightsaber battles as seen in the films. Players will need to approach enemies strategically, sizing up strengths and weaknesses while cleverly utilizing your Jedi training to overcome your opponents and solve the mysteries that lay in your path. 

STAR WARS fans will recognize iconic locations, weapons, gear, and enemies while also meeting a roster of fresh characters, locations, creatures, droids and adversaries new to STAR WARS. As part of this authentic STAR WARS story, fans will delve into a galaxy recently seized by the Empire. As a Jedi hero-turned-fugitive, players will need to fight for survival while exploring the mysteries of a long-extinct civilization all in an effort to rebuild the remnants of the Jedi Order as the Empire seeks to erase the Jedi completely.

KEY FEATURES

● Cinematic, Immersive Combat – Jedi: Fallen Order delivers the fantasy of becoming a Jedi through its innovative lightsaber combat system – striking, parrying, dodging - partnered with a suite of powerful Force abilities you’ll need to leverage to overcome obstacles that stand in your way. This combat system is intuitive to pick up, but takes training and practice to fully master its nuances as you gain new powers and abilities along your adventure.

● A New Jedi Story Begins - As a former Padawan on the run from the Empire, you must complete your training before Imperial Inquisitors discover your plan to revive the Jedi Order. Aided by a former Jedi Knight, a cantankerous pilot, and a fearless droid, you must escape the evil machinations of the Empire in a story-driven adventure. Explore and overcome a wide range of challenges focused on combat, exploration, and puzzle-solving. 

● The Galaxy Awaits - Ancient forests, windswept rock faces, and haunted jungles are all unique biomes you’ll explore in Jedi: Fallen Order, with the freedom to decide when and where you go next. As you unlock new powers and abilities, opportunities open up to re-traverse maps in new ways; leveraging the Force to augment the way you explore. Move quickly, however, as the Empire is actively hunting your every step in their effort to exterminate all remnants of the Jedi Order.

#7700 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,127 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:33 PM

This seems like Star Wars 1313 re-imagined into something new. Unreal Engine 4 was the engine that was used for that as well. I like the idea and the approach, but I am still shaky on the idea. Honestly Respawn has never made much outside of Call of Duty/Titanfall. Its interesting to see this, but I just don't know yet. I do wonder about the combat system and how well it works. EA has plans for E3. They also have another rumor aiming at E3 with Bad Company 3 rumors popping up here and there. Talk of Battlefront 3's development already beginning. Considering Episode IX releases this year I expect Battlefront 3 will be the first in line to release before Bad Company 3 or another Battlefield. Still I don't expect it until late 2020.

There is also a new rumor on PS5/XB4 SOC of some kind titled AMD Gonzalo pushing 14.3 Tflops with 8 cores and 16 threads, but eh its just a rumor...Its aligned with an older rumor though. so... Yeah its kinda crazy. The power leap from this gen to that one alone if true is phenomenal. Seriously PS5/XB4 games won't even look like games. Another step towards photo realism and early CGI might hit that graphics wall. Considering new environmental scanning tech is being used in video games now.

Rumors of Dino Crisis reboot, New Ninja Theory IP, and Splinter Cell at Microsoft's E3 showcase.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users