Nova Refuge Official Q&A

• Please log in to reply
700 replies to this topic

#641 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,113 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:40 PM

Welcome back! And, I haven't returned to Saber's Edge yet, but perhaps I will soon. I still plan to finish it.

Well, you should. It is a story that you started, and it is better to finish things :)

"You will finish what you started." xD

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#642 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

This is less a question and more of a suggestion:  Lasers in a lot of sci-fi, NR included, show up as visible beams even in space. This is despite the fact that, IRL, this is not the case at all, and even modern weapons-grade lasers aren't visible in an atmosphere, let alone space.

The solution I have is pretty much this: The Geneva Convention. Okay, more accurately the Treaty of Womloch and/or some accords previously signed by the Human and Native factions that would stipulate that any weaponized laser, no matter the mechanism of operation or wavelength used, be equipped with a "tracer" beam to make it clearly visible in travel. So basically all mass-produced lasers would have this as a permanent, very non-removable feature, and the only ones that would use uncolored or tracerless lasers would be rather industrious pirates and lawbreakers, or the occasional super-duper top secret "I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you and everyone you've ever talked to" black-ops groups operating completely without sanction.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#643 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:09 AM

This is less a question and more of a suggestion:  Lasers in a lot of sci-fi, NR included, show up as visible beams even in space. This is despite the fact that, IRL, this is not the case at all, and even modern weapons-grade lasers aren't visible in an atmosphere, let alone space.

The solution I have is pretty much this: The Geneva Convention. Okay, more accurately the Treaty of Womloch and/or some accords previously signed by the Human and Native factions that would stipulate that any weaponized laser, no matter the mechanism of operation or wavelength used, be equipped with a "tracer" beam to make it clearly visible in travel. So basically all mass-produced lasers would have this as a permanent, very non-removable feature, and the only ones that would use uncolored or tracerless lasers would be rather industrious pirates and lawbreakers, or the occasional super-duper top secret "I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you and everyone you've ever talked to" black-ops groups operating completely without sanction.

I've always seen visible lasers as simply one of those concessions to making sci-fi more entertaining, like having sound in a space battle in a sci-fi movie, even though there should be no sound in space. A space battle with no sound and invisible lasers would just be boring.

I've always figured that the "lasers" in NR incorporated Starlight Gas somehow, which accounts for most lasers being the same color that a ship's engines burn (blue engines/lasers for Xarkon, red for Victory, etc.). Perhaps the gas could be the tracer mechanism you described. I suppose that could work...

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#644 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

Would it be conceivable for a human corporation specializing in exploration and the like to hire an Achmer to be a scientific adviser regarding oceanic worlds?

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

ezgif_com_b873041021.gif

#645 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

Well take this as Word of Dante at best, but I don't really see why not.

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

#646 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

Sure, I don't see why not either! That would be fine.

Oh, and this has nothing to do with questions and answers, but I've finally got some Nova Refuge projects cooking again now... For one, expect me to finally wrap up TTOM once and for all soon, and then I might continue Warbringer. I also have a crazy idea for a Nova Refuge PVP RP that's been bouncing around in my head for ages, and I might just have to let it out soon. Anyway, just putting that out there. :P

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#647 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

It seems I don't see enough (if any) NR RPs in general. So I'd be up for that- I mean I'd probably be the guy who dies in the beginning- but still.

EDIT: There's a lot of potential though, for new settings. On top of that, one could do a prologue-style RP if they wanted a more low-tech story.

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#648 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:41 PM

It seems I don't see enough (if any) NR RPs in general. So I'd be up for that- I mean I'd probably be the guy who dies in the beginning- but still.

EDIT: There's a lot of potential though, for new settings. On top of that, one could do a prologue-style RP if they wanted a more low-tech story.

I'm probably going to run a Wulfgard RP first, because I've been planning to run an Errant campaign for a looong time, and also I want to run the Nova Refuge PVP RP as a sort of "forum Contest", so I'd rather wait for my current contest to end. But after that I definitely plan to do it!

And the last page for TTOM is almost done now, so that's going up soon! I really should not have put it off for so long...

-Scorp

#649 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

I have something to ask. Its regarding the ranks of the other factions. You posted here a while ago the miltiary ranks of the Victory and Xarkon. I am curious what the others have. Zygbar, Yavakaro, probably Grimm's Mercenaries (there the ranking system is defintiely not covnentional), Harmony (if Sarran and Achmer have them separate) and Helexith (if Mahlok and Slashrim have them seperate).

#650 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:24 AM

Zygbar and Yavakaro are pretty traditional.

Grimm's Army has "Warlord" in place of "General", and the lowest rank (basically "recruit") is referred to by a variety of uncomplimentary terms like "scum" and "cannon fodder."

I have never really decided a full list of ranks for the Natives, although in Warrior Born there is a high-ranking Mahlok entitled "Enxith" and of course the Slashrim title of "Vasha."

-Scorp

#651 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

Yes, I recall Vasha as something as "chieftain".

Maybe you can come up with the ranks for the Natives :)

#652 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:18 AM

I know this may be overly complicated, but maybe some species could have different cultures inside their species, like how we have many different countries as humans, and we do too in your world. This would allow for a lot of different political systems, ranks and hierachies among the Natives. Maybe even more than one language for several species would help make the story more believable. Unless the point is that they modernised by creating universal languages instead of severed different ones. By the way, Justin, have you been studying linguistics? You totally should if you haven't. It is the key to conlanging. I am working towards getting a PhD in linguistics in the future, inspired by a friend of mine who is a fellow Bionicle fan and happens to have created a working and usable Matoran language (the language the majority of the species in Bionicle G1 speaks) based on the minimal data there was available in the official storyline, like names of people, places, a few verbs and nouns, and one single sentence which illustrated what the basic grammar is like (it is Subject - Object - Verb). He doesn't have his PhD yet, but is in a programme. If you want to know more Scorp, check out his tumblr at http://outofgloom.tumblr.com and his BZPower userpage http://www.bzpower.c.../17500-tolkien/ You might have to be logged in here, and if you are unable to see it you can look at his BZP blog instead, though it isn't updated ss much as his tumblr blog is. Here it is: http://www.bzpower.c.../17500-tolkien/

Also take a look at this page on Matoran Language Resources http://outofgloom.tu...atoran-language

Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#653 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

I know this may be overly complicated, but maybe some species could have different cultures inside their species, like how we have many different countries as humans, and we do too in your world. This would allow for a lot of different political systems, ranks and hierachies among the Natives. Maybe even more than one language for several species would help make the story more believable. Unless the point is that they modernised by creating universal languages instead of severed different ones. By the way, Justin, have you been studying linguistics? You totally should if you haven't. It is the key to conlanging. I am working towards getting a PhD in linguistics in the future, just like a friend of mine who's a fellow Bionicle fan and actually created a working and usable Matoran language (the language the majority of the species in Bionicle G1 speaks) based on the minimal data we already had from it, like names of people, places, a few verbs and nouns, and one single sentence which illustrated what the basic grammar is like (it is Subject - Object - Verb). He doesn't have his PhD yet, but is in a programme. If you want to know more Scorp, check out his tumblr at http://outofgloom.tumblr.com and his BZPower userpage http://www.bzpower.c.../17500-tolkien/ You might have to be logged in here, and if you are unable to see it you can look at his BZP blog instead, though it isn't updated ss much as his tumblr blog is. Here it is: http://www.bzpower.c.../17500-tolkien/

Also take a look at this page on Matoran Language Resources http://outofgloom.tu...atoran-language

Now you sparked my interest :)

#654 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

I know this may be overly complicated, but maybe some species could have different cultures inside their species, like how we have many different countries as humans, and we do too in your world. This would allow for a lot of different political systems, ranks and hierachies among the Natives. Maybe even more than one language for several species would help make the story more believable. Unless the point is that they modernised by creating universal languages instead of severed different ones.

Yes, there are different cultures within the Natives, just as there are between Humans, but just as with Humans, they have all advanced to the point where a common lingua franca has been established in nearly every faction.

The Slashrim were once divided into different tribes, each with their own cultures and languages, but sharing a few common themes in both, which the Mahlok used to their advantage. When the Mahlok conquered them, they set about eradicating all traces of tribal bloodlines and cultures - much like ancient Rome did with the peoples they conquered - turning them all into slaves of Helexith and giving them a common tongue to speak. Only the few independent Slashrim (like the Ravager bands) have returned to their old tribal ways.

The Sarran pride themselves on independence and have many different nations united under the Council of Harmony, as separate but equal states. All are advanced enough to share a lingua franca, however, and all worship the same goddess, though not always in the same way.

The Achmer are divided into Schools, which are like nation-clans united not only by culture but also by blood. Each School is also represented in the Council of Harmony as a separate but equal state, though there are some Schools which are separate from the Council - most prominently the infamous "Red School".

The Mahlok alone have no sub-cultures whatsoever. Their planet is very low-population compared to most others, and all Mahlok united under a single government very early in their history. There are different Mahlok colonies on the different worlds, but all are part of Helexith and vary only slightly in their local customs and laws.

As for studying linguistics, I haven't studied it as in-depth as I'd like, but I've come up with quite a few details regarding the "Mahlo-Slashrim" tongue over the years. All of the Mahlo-Slashrim writing seen in any Nova Refuge images is "real", in that it actually means something - it's not just gibberish. ;) I haven't done the same for the Sarran or Achmer yet though.

-Scorp

#655 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

(I'm actually asking a question in here instead of answering one. Clearly, the end is nigh.)

How common/legal are Deus Ex-style cybernetic augmentations in civilian use? Like, as in any kind of prosthetic or implant that goes beyond just replacing a lost limb.

And another thing that I got curious about while thinking about that - what's up with Grimm's lack of cybernetic replacements for his eye and hand? Does he have some kind of disorder that prevents him from getting them? That would explain why his clones don't have them either.

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

#656 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

(I'm actually asking a question in here instead of answering one. Clearly, the end is nigh.)

I was honestly confused at first! "Where is the question Thrawnie is answering?" :P

How common/legal are Deus Ex-style cybernetic augmentations in civilian use? Like, as in any kind of prosthetic or implant that goes beyond just replacing a lost limb.

It's pretty common, yes. Not as common as in Deus Ex, probably, but there are certainly cybernetic implants available that serve a variety of functions.

And another thing that I got curious about while thinking about that - what's up with Grimm's lack of cybernetic replacements for his eye and hand? Does he have some kind of disorder that prevents him from getting them? That would explain why his clones don't have them either.

Hmm, that would be a pretty interesting explanation. But Grimm III is already largely cyborg thanks to his rapidly-aging body. Grimm I may have implants as well (he did in our very oldest stories) - possibly even a replacement eye under his patch - which he simply doesn't tell anyone about, because his pirate look has become an important part of his image.

-Scorp

#657 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

• 5,113 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:47 PM

Hmm, that would be a pretty interesting explanation. But Grimm III is already largely cyborg thanks to his rapidly-aging body. Grimm I may have implants as well (he did in our very oldest stories) - possibly even a replacement eye under his patch - which he simply doesn't tell anyone about, because his pirate look has become an important part of his image.

And as an element of surprise. Grimm I can reveal a robotic eye in case when he needs a better perception. For example.

#658 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

Expanding on Thrawnie's questions, since we're already here: How common would "full cyborgs" (to use the ​Ghost in the Shell terminology) be? Basically: Person is basically a brain and spinal column inside of a robot, similar to Biederman and (I presume) Grimm III.

#659 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

Is Dr. Arthur Randolph and Justin Randolph related in any way? Or is it just a coincidence that they share the same name? Also, is Randolph Scorp's last name or his middle name, like with yourself?

Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#660 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:34 PM

It's possible that they're related in some way, since he's one of the humans who fled to Nova Refuge before the cataclysm. As for Scorp's last name, that's something that will be revealed later in the books, if I ever get to finish them, so you'll just have to wait and see. :P

-Scorp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users